Forum

Spyro: A Hero's Tail

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
The last good Spyro game? [CLOSED]
TheSpyrofan12 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#1 Posted: 20:06:16 10/08/2013 | Topic Creator
Please note that these are my opinions, and you can disagree if you want.

Personally, I believe that this game was the last good Spyro game.
Now, this doesn't mean I hate the games that came after this (SL, TLOS, and Skylanders), but I personally feel that the series just changed completely after this game.
This game changed a few features from the original Spyro series, while still keeping it good.
Travelling to each world, instead of using Portals? I found that cool!
Moneybags's Shop? That was a whole lot better!
Keeping a similar game style, while still changing some features? Good!

But after this, the series just... changed completely.
Shadow Legacy introduced Magic Spells. I feel like they didn't suit Spyro well, even though I love that game.
The Legend of Spyro trilogy had a great story and gameplay, but it just didn't feel like a proper Spyro game.
And Skylanders... That's just where Spyro lost his role as THE main character.

If they were to make another Spyro game, I'd like it to be like the Classic games, while still using features introduce in this game.

Once again, these are just my opinions. Feel free to disagree.

Also, I am posting this here instead of General as this game is more of the focus.

Feel free to discuss what you think.
---
Bring the Fanta
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#2 Posted: 06:24:24 11/08/2013
Yes, I agree; the last decent Spyro game.

LOS either bored, or frustrated me, and I don't really have an opinion for Skylanders, I'm really not bothered about those games, NOT exactly bothered about LOS either.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#3 Posted: 17:08:55 11/08/2013
I wouldnt say so, that's because there is not one Spyro game I dislike.
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
cyber dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 606
#4 Posted: 18:52:44 11/08/2013
i like all of them to
but i understand why over don't and respect their opinions
TheSpyrofan12 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3172
#5 Posted: 19:11:17 11/08/2013 | Topic Creator
I do like all the games, but I just feel like this was the last one that actually felt like a Spyro game.
---
Bring the Fanta
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#6 Posted: 19:47:59 11/08/2013
since the legendary and skylanders games are totally different spyro games, i think you cant compare them with the older first gen spyro games. with that said 'A Hero's Tail' is definitive the best of the first gen spyro games. it got the best from the earlier games, and everything is done right, and the best graphic too.... so if im gonna advice someone that havent tried a spyro game before, i would say 'start with A Hero's Tail'... the 3 ps1 spyro game is good for what it was back in the day and still stand strong but the old graphics will put new people off the game. 'enter the dragonfly' i cant advice to anyone because i think its not a very well put together game.

first gen:
ps1 spyro the dragon
ps1 gateway to glimmer
ps1 year of the dragon
ps2 enter the dragonfly
ps2 a heros tail

second gen:
ps2 a new beginning
ps2 the eternal night
ps3 dawn of the dragon

third gen:
ps3 skylanders spyros adventure
ps3 skylanders giants
ps3 skylanders swap force

this is how i see it.... and if people get butt hurts over thiz, then go cryen elsewhere [User Posted Image]
Edited 7 times - Last edited at 19:59:33 11/08/2013 by kappapopm
cyber dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 606
#7 Posted: 11:14:33 12/08/2013
as a modern gamer i don't mind the graphics of the early games. graphics do not make a good game but there nice to have
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#8 Posted: 11:29:19 12/08/2013
Quote: cyber dragon
as a modern gamer i don't mind the graphics of the early games. graphics do not make a good game but there nice to have

you tell me you dont mind when you run ps1 spyro games on a 60" hd tv... you will come back and cryen for better graphics, LOL...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:34:51 12/08/2013 by kappapopm
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#9 Posted: 04:04:14 11/09/2013
I have a 56" 3DTV and the PSX Spyro games look fantastic on it. The 3D mode is awesome, especially in supercharge, too.

Anyway, I think the Legend games were good, but if you're saying out of the original era(aka up to Shadow Legacy), then yeah. Shadow Legacy was bad, an average-designed game with many glitches. It was, feeling unfinished, I think. I don't remember but I think Fusion also came after AHT, and that is hands down my least favourite Spyro game(besides the mobile ones... I played ANB and TEN on mobile, both poor).
But if you count the Legend trilogy, I think TEN on the GBA was the last great Spyro game, that I always want to replay- ANB on the console was also awesome, while everything else from the trilogy was between just just good, but unspectacular, and so average it's awful. Love TEN mechanics and story but hate level design and Spyro's knockback, enjoy DoTD gameplay and art style and extras but hate story and difficulty balance.

Skylanders doesn't even count as Spyro, IMO.

Also, I don't mind ETD, decent level design, good graphics, should have been longer and more ironed out though(my copy doesn't glitch too often, but it lags sometimes and the loading gets boring fast). If they had more time to be able to get the original concept down(25 levels with more dragonflies, Ripto AND Gnasty Gnorc), it would have been awesome.

Edit: I replayed the first few levels of DoTD, to be honest, it's not that bad and it's great as a conclusion to the trilogy and a decent 10 year anniversary(flying ~), it could just have been more. The worst part of the game was the difficulty spike in the Burned Lands(especially after one of the easier levels combat-wise, The Destroyer), which was just unforgivable. But it's still a good game, with a story that isn't great, but served its purpose if you can overlook or fill in some of the worst of the many plotholes it contained. So I think Spyro's ending was pretty good, though probably not the best, but it was never really going to be that way. smilieb
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:26:06 13/09/2013 by Arc of Archives
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#10 Posted: 22:23:01 12/09/2013
i personly love all spyro games but the skylanders have reduced spyro to just another caracter. we should try to get spyro back to his own games as soon as possible
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#11 Posted: 00:42:12 13/09/2013
Maybe, but I found Shadow Legacy was the "last" one of the good games I think.
Don't get me wrong, I still love TLoS series >.<

Quote: theuone
i personly love all spyro games but the skylanders have reduced spyro to just another caracter. we should try to get spyro back to his own games as soon as possible

Yeah, someday...
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Kziira Red Sparx Gems: 33
#12 Posted: 14:13:25 31/10/2013
I wasn't really there for most of the old Spyro games. The furtherest back I've gone is Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly. But I can say I highly enjoyed and still do enjoy the classics. I hope to find a good Ps1 & Ps2 emulator for my Mac to go back even further.

Shadow Legacy wasn't that bad in my opinion. I quite enjoyed it.

Skylanders was okay. I think it's definitely more aimed at the much newer and younger children though. I had already reached the last level of the game with just 4 Skylanders and then I just stopped playing and collecting the figures because it didn't seem like there was much of a point left in doing so.
I also agree that Spyro has completely lost his main role. Even though the first Skylanders was referred to as "Spyro's Adventure" it was hardly focused on Spyro at all. Maybe Activision just used Spyro to gain the attention of veteran Spyro fans so they could lure people into buying the game to reap in more money.

And since I was much younger when I began to play TLoS I never really questioned or pointed anything out. But after going back to play TLoS: DoTD it made me raise a brow and wonder how I enjoyed this so much when I was 10. Don't take it the wrong way; I still enjoy it to some extent (especially the free-flying).
But the graphics annoy me a little now. The scenery was beautiful and immersive. But the grass, the rocks... is it just me, or they quite bright? The grass looks like a fluorescent green. It's like the graphics downgraded yet upgraded in a way after the first two TLoS games.
---
“A dragon's heart burns fiercely, even in the face of evil.”
― S.G. Rogers, Jon Hansen and the Dragon Clan of Yden
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#13 Posted: 21:38:23 01/11/2013
yeah i am starting to see activision as a money grubing enemy, after all i liked the skylanders at first but noe their series is just getting out of hand. hmm you have to wonder, where do all the major skylander fans put all those toys, it just way to many figures if you know what i mean.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#14 Posted: 09:24:32 02/11/2013
Quote: theuone
yeah i am starting to see activision as a money grubing enemy, after all i liked the skylanders at first but noe their series is just getting out of hand. hmm you have to wonder, where do all the major skylander fans put all those toys, it just way to many figures if you know what i mean.

For personal preference, you don't have to collect every single Skylander you know. And I don't know maybe if you was that dedicated enough to Skylanders, you'd make some room for them. And you've only started to see Activision like this? Wow. smilie
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#15 Posted: 18:34:21 03/11/2013
It's certainly the last one that feels like the Spyro games that I played in my childhood (Shadow Legacy may be set in the same 'verse, but it doesn't feel much like them).

That's not necessarily a negative strike against the ones following that don't, though.
---
Eh.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me