Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
What's an OC in your terms? [CLOSED]
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#1 Posted: 04:45:11 07/06/2013 | Topic Creator
I'm wondering this question for a while now. I would like to see your answers.

Because I do have characters of the species in video games but, being a different world barely related to their world. Like my guilmon character Ace, if your familiar with the fanfiction or fiction that I've been making. See he is a guilmon but, he is in flipnoteia, not the digital world being someone's digimon.

Or and OC is a character of originality like a original world with original species.

Because when I go to think about OCs they are normally animals already invented by nature, so won't that make those OCs , FCs?
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6072
#2 Posted: 05:25:16 07/06/2013
OC, an originally created character made for role plays/fan fiction.

An OC can be of their own story, though more often they are inserted into a pre-existing story for fandom purposes.

OC's are should be rather detailed and are not limited to one series. They should be so detailed that they are as good as being their own person. Not just for example me with a keyblade travelling with Sora, but rather a character who has their own fighting style, who travells with Sora for a reason, and has their own unique personality.

Just my definition, inB4, someone starts telling me I'm wrong and flips out at me.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
DarkCynder10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3346
#3 Posted: 05:34:24 07/06/2013
Quote: AngelicBeast
OC stands for Original Character.
FC stands for Fan Character.
Sometimes an FC can be pretty "original" but if it's still.. Say in the TLoS universe, it is still called FC.
OC is when it's from your own original story.
FC is when it's from an already made fandom, like TLoS, Sonic, etc.

Pretty much if the character is a Pokemon or a Sonic styled hedgehog, or an MLP pony with a cutiemark and stuff, that's an FC.
I'm pretty sure that using an existing race/mythical creature such as a cat, lizard, bird, whatever is fine.
So if you make up your own world/story for everything and don't use a copyrighted race (like a Digimon or Pokemon) then they are OCs?
It's alright to take inspiration from things, such as when making a new race.

^ Pretty much this.

Using already existing creatures is fine, depending on the story. For example, if you were to make a mouse or rabbit character used to be in the Redwall universe, that would be a fan character. But that doesn't necessarily mean that ALL mice or rabbits are fan characters. If you make your own, original story about woodland creatures doing things completely irrelevant to other stories, then they're original characters.

I actually have a mouse OC that I use for children's books. She has nothing to do with Redwall and she was the very first character I ever made up, so I didn't even know about Redwall when I made her. Having her own, original design with her own, original story, home, friends, and overall country, makes her an original character, even if I personally do not own the mice race or other woodland creatures used in my books. If she were put in the Redwall universe, however, then that would make her a fan character.
---
( ૭ ಠ___ಠ)૭
#4 Posted: 05:35:45 07/06/2013 | Topic Creator
@Seiki - Well if it's your definition no one should really yell at you because it's your opinion.

@AB- so you are saying that if the character is a Pokemon, Digimon, and etc species from video games. It's still a fan character no matter what world they are in? Because, well like you said earlier they can be pretty original but, if they are still in the fandom you made them in, they are still an FC.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
BoboDilla Yellow Sparx Gems: 1361
#5 Posted: 05:42:32 07/06/2013
Quote: Trix Master 100
@Seiki - Well if it's your definition no one should really yell at you because it's your opinion.

@AB- so you are saying that if the character is a Pokemon, Digimon, and etc species from video games. It's still a fan character no matter what world they are in? Because, well like you said earlier they can be pretty original but, if they are still in the fandom you made them in, they are still an FC.

If they're from a Pokemon, Digimon and etc (basically any pre-existing) universe, then yes they're are and will always be Fan Characters.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 05:48:07 07/06/2013 by BoboDilla
Underian Emerald Sparx Gems: 3095
#6 Posted: 05:44:19 07/06/2013
Original Character-A Character made almost entirely from originality with no bases on other existing work. Original Characters have strengths and weaknesses that balance out, they have a balanced personality that isn't too nice and cutesy or rough and mean. They are not the strongest person in the universe, sexiest, cutest, ect. The character is everthing listed above, and that is what an Original Character is to me.
#7 Posted: 05:50:53 07/06/2013 | Topic Creator
Yes, it is still an FC. Because it's still a race from Pokemon or Digimon. Even if it's used in another story/universe/world/WHATEVER, it is still called FC.
I dunno, someone will probably explain it better than I am. But yes, it is still called FC.

Quote: BoboDilla

If there from a Pokemon, Digimon and ect (basically any pre-existing) universe, then yes they're are and will always be Fan Characters.

Oh okay.

But, if you said in a pre existing universes won't that also mean earth animals like wolves and such can be considered FCs, unless if you put them into a completely original story, but yet the animals/characters/species are now considered OCs. Wouldn't that be technically correct or technically wrong. (or technically I'm racist...*shrug*)
---
icon from Empoh
#8 Posted: 05:53:50 07/06/2013
Yes, it is still an FC. Because it's still a race from Pokemon or Digimon. Even if it's used in another story/universe/world/WHATEVER, it is still called FC.
I dunno, someone will probably explain it better than I am. But yes, it is still called FC.

If there from a Pokemon, Digimon and ect (basically any pre-existing) universe, then yes they're are and will always be Fan Characters.

Oh okay.

But, if you said in a pre existing universes won't that also mean earth animals like wolves and such can be considered FCs, unless if you put them into a completely original story, but yet the animals/characters/species are now considered OCs. Wouldn't that be technically correct or technically wrong. (or technically I'm racist...*shrug*)

You're missing the point.
ThroneOfMalefor Platinum Sparx Gems: 5391
#9 Posted: 06:02:08 07/06/2013
I can easily eliminate all made-up pony characters as original.
---
BREATHE AIR.
#10 Posted: 06:04:50 07/06/2013 | Topic Creator

Well, I think I'm sort of missed some of the point. But, I did get the point of if it's a species of a pre-existing universe such as pokemon and digimon. It's still a fan character.

But, I was also thinking deeper because wouldn't this rule also effect other OCs as well? Like wolves, cats, and etc. Because Earth is a pre-existing fandom just filled with other fandoms. And technically speaking if you use human just a normal human but, in a another realm. It's an OC, but the character species is of a pre existing universe, which is here. So, wouldn't that make the character and OC/FC?

And I'm not on weed on this either.
---
icon from Empoh
#11 Posted: 06:14:32 07/06/2013

Well, I think I'm sort of missed some of the point. But, I did get the point of if it's a species of a pre-existing universe such as pokemon and digimon. It's still a fan character.

But, I was also thinking deeper because wouldn't this rule also effect other OCs as well? Like wolves, cats, and etc. Because Earth is a pre-existing fandom just filled with other fandoms. And technically speaking if you use human just a normal human but, in a another realm. It's an OC, but the character species is of a pre existing universe, which is here. So, wouldn't that make the character and OC/FC?

And I'm not on weed on this either.

I think that applies only to electronically-created proper nouns like Pokemon. A plain animal is too generic as a Pokemon is more specific as you are now dealing with certain drawing styles, proportions, etc.
---
BREATHE AIR.
Dmcrocks Gold Sparx Gems: 2182
#12 Posted: 06:22:42 07/06/2013
On Earthen animals, it depends on the circumstances. Is it your cat character that you will use in multiple rps and stories and is not from the world of the rp's, or is it the cat character you create fr that one rp and is from that world? The latter is an FC, the former is an OC. Hope this is clarifying.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Earth is not a Fandom. *Aliens: I'm an Earthling! I'm a part of the Earth fandom! I'm an alienerd!"
---
if you're looking to get in contact with me, please go through http://petty-bourgeoisie.tumblr.com
#13 Posted: 06:22:54 07/06/2013 | Topic Creator
@Pix- I know this sounds like it came out of the bible and shiz, but Earth did create this creatures, which they did some adapting. It's just Earth doesn't have a voice to say "Hey! These are copyrighted!"

@ToM- You're saying that like we don't already do that with normal earth animals, well on the art portion. But, with fandoms around I'm pretty sure everything can be to generic.
---
icon from Empoh
CinderLover Emerald Sparx Gems: 3924
#14 Posted: 06:33:26 07/06/2013
Original Characters, as the name implies, are characters of their own original story and background. Sometimes they are of a custom race, sometimes they are mythical creatures, and sometimes they are real life animals. Fan Characters, once again plastering what they are right on the tin, are characters created from a pre-existing storyline and usually involve the races from that storyline, an example being a character who is a Pokemon trainer.
Fan Characters, however, I do not think should be counted as Original Characters for the pretty obvious reason that they are fan-made( However, don't expect me to tack you down and kill you if you say OC rather than FC~ >w<). They are of a race/story that is neither already existing right in front of us, mythological, or birthed of your own mind. Bringing back the Pokemon example: you don't own Pokemon, so if your character Kayla is a Pokemon trainer who is part of the elite four and uses only psychic pokemon, that is not an OC. If your character Kayla is a fairy dragon who spends her time fashioning woven baskets in the treetops of her homeland Araziana, that is an OC.
You can see the obvious differences. Now, I would like to take the time to make something very very clear: Earth is not a copyrighted creation. If you have a character who is a rabbit, that is A-Okay if it's in your story or in real life, it's all good! If you have a rabbit who is in the lesbians with Amy from Sonic, that's an FC. :T
Back to OCs. You might be asking "what's Araziana? what's Kayla doing making baskets?" That's something you can use to your advantage. People will ask these questions, and you can use this to bring them into the story. Building on Kayla a bit more, why does she weave baskets? Maybe she has a talent in quickly moving her paws, a delicate air around her that makes her seem very careful and dainty. She may just enjoy doing it! See? It's not too hard to get things into the personality just from random ideas.
Continuing on that subject, personalities are an important part of OCs. They define the majority of the character, and also will dictate how they interact with others in your story or in Role Plays(iwillcoverthislatershhh<3). The personality of a character will be quite similar to a person, and by this I mean they will be like a person in your head. They will have things they like, things they dislike, things they're scared of, things that irritate them, things they can't talk about without being emotional, etc. etc. They will not be 100% even in the goods and bads, nor will they make 10/10 sense. Some people just don't make sense, you know?
Let's look back at lovely Kayla. We've decided she's a bit dainty, delicate, enjoys weaving baskets in her spare time, and is a fairy dragon who lives in the treetops. Let's add on to her! From the looks of it, she's kinda' a girly-girl. Building on this, we can say Kayla dislikes getting dirty, and because of this she spends a lot of time in the treetops. She is scared of fire from a previous experience, and because of this same experience she values nature to an extreme sense. She hates fire-users and fire element-based creatures. Kayla really loves flying and watching the sunrises, however, because it reminds her of the ocean. She loves water and spends a lot of time at the oasis near her home tree. Kayla loves swimming and if you like swimming as well you two may get along...well, swimmingly!
Still working on this, we've mentioned an oasis and a tree...Hmmm, well, maybe Kayla can live in a jungle? Jungles are exotic and wild places, which would make Kayla a bit different from the generally primitive location she's in. That would make her a useful member of the jungle's community. She would be important to understanding things, perhaps even being considered to be a wise person among the other creatures. Jungles give many possibilities, so this might be a good place for her!
Little Kayla has come a long way. She's gone from a Pokemon Trainer to a wise fairy dragon in just a few short edits. Not too hard, right? Turning an FC to an OC can be VERY useful for a number of different things. For example, Role Playing!
Using an Original Character for Role Playing is a good way to build on them. Testing out how you can act in character with the character, developing their abilities, hearing opinions from others if your character is too over the top, and other things are good reasons to Role Play with the character. Consider it testing your character. I would recommend it, but it's not needed, of course! Keeping your character to your story is fine too. ^^

TL;DR: OCs are original from your own mind and FCs aren't from your mind.

*revives from the dead to say this and rolls into the sunset*
#15 Posted: 06:38:58 07/06/2013
What's generic about a made-up Pokemon? Is it a character that is based off of a Pokemon or the Pokemon world? Bam, FC. Is it based off a carbon-based lifeform simply living on Earth? Bam, OC.
---
BREATHE AIR.
#16 Posted: 06:40:37 07/06/2013 | Topic Creator
Okay I fudging get it. Earth is not considered a fandom to Most of you but, can I at least think of it as that though? Or am I gonna get mauled by every fandom?

@Pix - Warriors normally have cats in them. Also please do n- what the hell am I even saying anymore? You'll just use it against me like every ****ing thing I hate.
---
icon from Empoh
#17 Posted: 06:45:10 07/06/2013
Quote: ThroneOfMalefor
What's generic about a made-up Pokemon? Is it a character that is based off of a Pokemon or the Pokemon world? Bam, FC. Is it based off a carbon-based lifeform simply living on Earth? Bam, OC.

Um, can you repeat the question? From the sounds of it you're asking if a character based off of Pokemon but not a Pokemon and not in the Pokemon universe is not a Fan Character. To this I will reply that making a race similar to the Pokemon in question would solve the problem, if you want that FC to be an OC. owo;;?
#18 Posted: 06:45:36 07/06/2013
Trix, we are in no way trying to make you feel that way. We're just trying to help you - and many others - understand the difference. If we have truly made you feel like fudge, please let us know and forgive us.
---
if you're looking to get in contact with me, please go through http://petty-bourgeoisie.tumblr.com
#19 Posted: 06:50:54 07/06/2013 | Topic Creator
I don't care about facts anymore, Pix. I care about ****ing beliefs. Holy ****.
---
icon from Empoh
#20 Posted: 06:53:37 07/06/2013

You need to know the facts before you can form an opinion, dude.
Gem-A-Knight Yellow Sparx Gems: 1644
#21 Posted: 06:55:13 07/06/2013
Why can't we all have our own beliefs and leave it like that? There's nothing wrong with that. People believe what they believe. Wether it may be a strange belief, it's theirs, and no one should try to force anything on them. Even if, to everyone else, something is fact.
#22 Posted: 06:55:29 07/06/2013 | Topic Creator

Not exactly. And now fact to me if the new f word. FACTYFACTFACTFACT!
---
icon from Empoh
#23 Posted: 06:56:28 07/06/2013
Quote: CinderLover

Um, can you repeat the question? From the sounds of it you're asking if a character based off of Pokemon but not a Pokemon and not in the Pokemon universe is not a Fan Character. To this I will reply that making a race similar to the Pokemon in question would solve the problem, if you want that FC to be an OC. owo;;?

It wasn't a question, I was just trying to prove my point with rhetorical-ish questions. :c
---
BREATHE AIR.
#24 Posted: 06:56:48 07/06/2013

Not exactly. And now fact to me if the new f word. FACTYFACTFACTFACT!

But you asked us to tell you what we thought.
#25 Posted: 07:00:10 07/06/2013
Quote: Gem-A-Knight
Why can't we all have our own beliefs and leave it like that? There's nothing wrong with that. People believe what they believe. Wether it may be a strange belief, it's theirs, and no one should try to force anything on them. Even if, to everyone else, something is fact.

-----
#26 Posted: 07:01:15 07/06/2013
^I agree. please calm down. Just log off for the night and cool off. Trust me, I'm a trained Peer Mediator.

ninja'd.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:01:58 07/06/2013 by Dmcrocks
#27 Posted: 07:01:45 07/06/2013

-----

This doesn't explain her odd replies to what she specifically asked for.

Quote: CinderLover

It wasn't a question, I was just trying to prove my point with rhetorical-ish questions. :c

Ah, I see. My apologies for not understanding. It's very early in the morning where I am. >w<
#28 Posted: 07:05:41 07/06/2013
Still. Does it matter? It's okay. Just let her cool off a bit. I know she was asking for answers but I think some of you (not pointing to, you Cinder, directly, just some of you) might have pressured her a little. Okay? Just...let it flow.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:06:06 07/06/2013 by Gem-A-Knight
#29 Posted: 07:08:13 07/06/2013
Quote: Pixilism
in this topic: facts suck laws are just opinion i should just rob someone and sell drugs because laws are fabricated

while that wasn't said it might as well have been

anyways have fun exploding this isn't worth my time anymore

Commits sudowoodo
#30 Posted: 07:10:17 07/06/2013
That's probably a little more exaggerated than it needs to be. She wouldn't make criminal choices. She just has her own beliefs on this one subject.
#31 Posted: 07:11:59 07/06/2013 | Topic Creator
Pix, ****ing listen to Gem a Knight for once in your ****ing life. Laws are not fact they are rules.
---
icon from Empoh
#32 Posted: 07:13:40 07/06/2013
Pix, ****ing listen to Gem a Knight for once in your ****ing life. Laws are not fact they are rules.

Hey, I know I'm defending you here, but you do need to calm down okay? The argument will only keep going if you say things like that. Calm down for me, Trix. Please.
#33 Posted: 07:15:34 07/06/2013 | Topic Creator

opinions are great to have and all even i have them but well **** **** **** **** ****ing facts exists too

Okay you know what? **** YOURSELF!! JUST **** YOURSELF! I don't ****ing care for this website or any family member of mine anymore! SO WHY THE **** DO I ****ING EXIST! AM I EVERYONE'S *****!?! Well **** you!
---
icon from Empoh
#34 Posted: 07:16:06 07/06/2013

opinions are great to have and all even i have them but well **** **** **** **** ****ing facts exists too

Okay you know what? **** YOURSELF!! JUST **** YOURSELF! I don't ****ing care for this website or any family member of mine anymore! SO WHY THE **** DO I ****ING EXIST! AM I EVERYONE'S *****!?! Well **** you!

I'm going to have to ask you to calm down. o.o
#35 Posted: 07:16:54 07/06/2013

Laws of Force, Motion, Nature! *flies away*
#36 Posted: 07:17:40 07/06/2013

Trix. Please. Come on.
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#37 Posted: 07:19:16 07/06/2013
looks like someone needs to calm down the pepper
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
#38 Posted: 07:20:14 07/06/2013 | Topic Creator
/cries and abandons topic forever

You better ****ing run.
---
icon from Empoh
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me