Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > News and Updates > The Skylanders aren't going to the movies
Page 1 of 1
The Skylanders aren't going to the movies
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13842
#1 Posted: 23:16:48 30/05/2013 | Topic Creator
In talking to MCV Activision's VP of consumer marketing John Coyne stated that there are no plans for a movie or a TV show based on the Skylanders franchise.

Quote: John Coyne
In terms of a TV show or a movie, no there are not any plans. We believe the game is the entertainment. You talk to kids who are real fans of the franchise, and they will be able to tell you Gill Grunt’s powers, backstory, what his friends are and generally what’s going on in the world of Skylanders. The same sort of things that they are able to articulate around a TV show or a movie.

Kind of an odd reason really, especially when you consider the ongoing series of books that already provides new stories about the Skylanders and their adventures in Skylands.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:17:30 30/05/2013 by dark52
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#2 Posted: 23:23:00 30/05/2013
Huh. I really thought they would make a show. You know, to steal more of our money.
Hexblazer Blue Sparx Gems: 895
#3 Posted: 23:27:31 30/05/2013
BOOOOOOOOOO
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#4 Posted: 23:48:10 30/05/2013
Why why why (shot)
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
Doomslicer Gold Sparx Gems: 2037
#5 Posted: 00:36:59 31/05/2013
On the bright side, a good deal of shows based on games/merchandise lines aren't that great.
OK, so maybe Transformers Prime and MLP (in some people's opinions) and Pokemon and NT Warrior and Kirby and Star Force (well, those last few were anime) did alright...
Maybe we can make a kickstarter project to air the Skylanders TV Show Scripts from the forums :P
---
Check out my fanfic Guide to Skylands, my DeviantArt, and my Minecraft skins in my GB!
ThroneOfMalefor Platinum Sparx Gems: 5391
#6 Posted: 02:42:24 31/05/2013
Thank goodness, this game is not good enough for the big screen as 99% of the audience is children that cannot leave the house after 6.
---
BREATHE AIR.
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3531
#7 Posted: 02:46:00 31/05/2013
Quote: ThroneOfMalefor
Thank goodness, this game is not good enough for the big screen as 99% of the audience is children that cannot leave the house after 6.

More like 70%. There are some freaks--PEOPLE! I SAID PEOPLE!, that go into it as adults. 0_0
awesomerockets Emerald Sparx Gems: 4123
#8 Posted: 04:08:18 31/05/2013
Aw, well that sucks smilie
---
go to my guestbook now and sign a petition to get Freddie benson into smash
HarmHero Green Sparx Gems: 423
#9 Posted: 05:06:31 31/05/2013
Quote: HotDogAndZap

More like 70%. There are some freaks--PEOPLE! I SAID PEOPLE!, that go into it as adults. 0_0

Mwuahahaha...that would be little ol' me *grin*
---
Skylanders Collection App is available for iPhone and iPod touch!
Check http://www.skylanderscollectionapp.com for details :-)
wreckingballbob Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#10 Posted: 07:12:36 31/05/2013

..... Skylanders is awesome......
---
SennyBonku Blue Sparx Gems: 673
#11 Posted: 08:16:59 31/05/2013

Heh yeah, same here. Getting older and older, yet still being very into Skylanders and Pokemon.

Anyway, I guess that's good decission. Pokemon aren't the best example of game, that was animated. The show isn't so popular and many game fans aren't so keen of it. It follows it's own patterns and... well they can be very OFF. Besides, it's getting longer and longer, and since I sit in Pokemon business since they've started, most of new episodes becomes more and more similiar to the old ones.

As for Skylanders, it seemed that some novels which featured them were very interesting. But on other hand, they would have to make a story for a few dozens of episodes. I guess that would often ruin an image of Skylanders. Kids play this game, they know some facts about characters and they imagine the rest of them. That's one of the best things in this game - you are the Portal Master and they are yours compaions. You choice yours main characters, their features, some of their charcteristics, etc. They are toys after all, it shouldn't be ruled how you have to play with them (well... more or less) and the only limit should be yours imagination.

If they would make the show, all the characters features would become... sort of official. That could ruin imagination about them. I'm not disappointed, yet I was curious, how would they make the show, etc.
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#12 Posted: 09:47:12 31/05/2013

That statement is extremely inaccurate.
paddyfitz Gold Sparx Gems: 2242
#13 Posted: 09:53:26 31/05/2013

No. Just no.
I could leave the house at 11 PM if I wanted, and I'm obsessed.
---
Black lives matter, love is love, trans men are men and trans women are women!!!
#14 Posted: 10:20:52 31/05/2013

Lol nope that statement is so wrong and stupid, you don't anything about Skylanders.
---
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8298
#15 Posted: 10:21:46 31/05/2013

[User Posted Image]

- - -
#16 Posted: 10:26:47 31/05/2013

Really? They have to go to school.
---
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#17 Posted: 11:45:33 31/05/2013
*facepalm* the backstory of the Skylanders? how? they don't even say them ingame and there are books too -.-
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
SkylandFollower Green Sparx Gems: 151
#18 Posted: 15:47:26 31/05/2013
Yep, this is more important news than S2 Drobot and LightCore Hex coming out.
Seriously, update the front with that news. We live in a country, too.
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#19 Posted: 17:54:55 31/05/2013
its indeed wierd about the fact they made books
ThroneOfMalefor Platinum Sparx Gems: 5391
#20 Posted: 20:57:48 31/05/2013
obvious troll is obvious /troll

skyros are fun to mess with
---
BREATHE AIR.
spyrothe111 Ripto Gems: 3702
#21 Posted: 13:09:54 01/06/2013
Aw man... smilie
Well, at least we have the books! smilie

...smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:11:57 01/06/2013 by spyrothe111
#22 Posted: 13:43:16 01/06/2013
Quote: spyrothe111
Aw man... smilie
Well, at least we have those the books! smilie

...smilie

[User Posted Image]

I have nothing against reading, I love to read, it's just, these books are meant for a ........ younger audience then mine. My favorite book series consists of roughly 500 page books (Heroes of Olympus, anyone?) so if my mom saw me reading one of these books she'd be like........... forealzies?
---
paddyfitz Gold Sparx Gems: 2242
#23 Posted: 14:31:01 01/06/2013
Quote: awesomerockets
Quote: spyrothe111
Aw man... smilie
Well, at least we have those the books! smilie

...smilie

[User Posted Image]

I have nothing against reading, I love to read, it's just, these books are meant for a ........ younger audience then mine. My favorite book series consists of roughly 500 page books (Heroes of Olympus, anyone?) so if my mom saw me reading one of these books she'd be like........... forealzies?

@Bolded
OMG another Heros of Olympus fan? WOO-HOO!
---
Black lives matter, love is love, trans men are men and trans women are women!!!
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#24 Posted: 15:52:30 01/06/2013
Quote: SennyBonku

Heh yeah, same here. Getting older and older, yet still being very into Skylanders and Pokemon.

Anyway, I guess that's good decission. Pokemon aren't the best example of game, that was animated. The show isn't so popular and many game fans aren't so keen of it. It follows it's own patterns and... well they can be very OFF. Besides, it's getting longer and longer, and since I sit in Pokemon business since they've started, most of new episodes becomes more and more similiar to the old ones.

As for Skylanders, it seemed that some novels which featured them were very interesting. But on other hand, they would have to make a story for a few dozens of episodes. I guess that would often ruin an image of Skylanders. Kids play this game, they know some facts about characters and they imagine the rest of them. That's one of the best things in this game - you are the Portal Master and they are yours compaions. You choice yours main characters, their features, some of their charcteristics, etc. They are toys after all, it shouldn't be ruled how you have to play with them (well... more or less) and the only limit should be yours imagination.

If they would make the show, all the characters features would become... sort of official. That could ruin imagination about them. I'm not disappointed, yet I was curious, how would they make the show, etc.

Exactly I'm glad I didn't even have to explain how Pokemon is easily one of the worst shows to be based off a game. I grew up with it, but I never loved the show even as a kid, I only started to like it when Diamond and Pearl began because the show started to be more serious and more accurate. I've been talking to many fans about this because there are a few who keep saying the original was better, but they can't accept the fact that the original was so flawed that it doesn't even come close to being the perfect series.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#25 Posted: 18:02:44 01/06/2013
Honestly, I think this is a very good decision. Skylanders is an interactive series; trying to shoe-horn it into an interactive medium would not only take away some of its charm and purpose, but would also dilute the creativity and talent that is being put into the games. Given that every player approaches Skylanders differently, with different characters who are the heroes in their stories, a show or movie that focused on the "wrong" characters would alienate more fans than it would bring in. Good on you, ActiVision, for thinking about the integrity of your franchise this way. :)
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#26 Posted: 19:18:34 01/06/2013
Considering that movies and television shows based off video games have been either "so bad, it's good" or just plain abominable, I don't see a problem with this. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
ashleigh Ripto Gems: 3782
#27 Posted: 09:52:35 02/06/2013
ha knew it Activision will never do something like movies or tv shows there is no point in it any way but legend of spyro movie I would have like to have seen it but it was never going to happen cause they don't care about people all they care about is money no one else
Cassafrass1999 Green Sparx Gems: 258
#28 Posted: 02:58:31 04/06/2013
Seriously? I would LOVE to see a Skylanders movie, or at least a TV show! Pokémon and various other video games have TV shows (or anime, rather), and a Ratchet and Clank movie is supposed to come out in a couple of years. So why not Skylanders? :/ I would also have LOVED to have seen the Legend of Spyro movie 3D if it had came out! Activision, you really need to get your act together with these movies and TV shows... :/
---
Check out my guestbook to see my collection of our 30+ Skylanders! smilie

I support all Spyros (although TLoS is my VERY fav.) smilie smilie smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:59:36 04/06/2013 by Cassafrass1999
#29 Posted: 16:21:10 04/06/2013
I also think it's a good idea they're not doing it. Say kids somehow think Gill Grunt is a gangster or something and he is show as a stupid little kid or something on the show kids would be mad. I think it's good to let players think what they want about the characters.
---
NINJAsk11 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1124
#30 Posted: 14:00:37 05/06/2013
i hust say this is bad BOOOOOOOOOOOOO
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13842
#31 Posted: 15:47:52 05/06/2013 | Topic Creator
MCV have now posted the full interview that that was an extract from.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
spyroOracle2000 Green Sparx Gems: 267
#32 Posted: 16:50:48 10/06/2013
MMAAKKEE SSPPYYRROO TTVV SSEERRIIEESS!!!!!!!
gnarlytreesnex Blue Sparx Gems: 651
#33 Posted: 01:06:36 25/03/2014
Man I wish they made a skylanders movie. That sucks. smilie
LloydDXZX Yellow Sparx Gems: 1637
#34 Posted: 00:49:56 29/07/2014
Huh. I really thought they would make a show. You know, to steal more of our money.

Yeah. smilie
---
Imaginators is making it revive.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me