Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Polybius [CLOSED]
BlinktheCookie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3556
#1 Posted: 16:26:28 16/05/2013 | Topic Creator
This topic is to discuss the urban legend of Polybius, the killer mind-control arcade game that was rumoured to have a brief reign-of-terror during the 80s.

Chances are you haven't heard of it, so I'll give you the wikipedia article and any further research you want to do is up to you.

According to the story, an unheard-of new arcade game appeared in several suburbs of Portland, Oregon in 1981, something of a rarity at the time. The game proved to be incredibly popular, to the point of addiction, and lines formed around the machines, often resulting in fighting over who played next. This was followed by clusters of visits from men in black. Rather than the usual marketing data collected by company visitors to arcade machines, they collected some unknown data, allegedly testing responses to the psychoactive machines. The players themselves suffered from a series of unpleasant side effects, including amnesia, insomnia, nightmares, night terrors, and even suicide in some versions of the legend. Some players stopped playing video games, while reportedly one became an antigaming activist.

My personal opinion is that it was an experimental game in which the developers were testing a new style of graphics and a couple of epileptic kids couldn't handle it, so everyone freaked out and that's why the game completely disappeared. That being said, it's a fun and interesting topic for me (and possibly a really good movie premise) and I enjoyed the few days of freaking out and research that occurred upon first hearing the legend. smilie
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#2 Posted: 16:39:28 16/05/2013
I've heard of it and it sounds really interesting. It's also rumored that Nintendo were in on making it?
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#3 Posted: 20:49:10 16/05/2013
Sounds like a Creepypasta to me.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Ryanator20x6 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1848
#4 Posted: 21:47:00 16/05/2013
I remember watching on YouTube video that came to the conclusion that it never existed.
---
Hello from Seattle

ask.fm/RyanNeely889
#5 Posted: 01:44:04 17/05/2013 | Topic Creator
There are creepypastas about it, but the rumor surfaced a fairly long time before tehre were creepypastas from what I can gather. I've never heard about Nintendo having any involvement. All the article mentions about the developers is this:

The supposed creator of Polybius is Ed Rotberg, and the company named in the urban legend is Sinneslöschen (what seems to be a slightly incorrect German translation for "To have erased your mind"), often named as either a secret government organization or a codename for Atari.
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#6 Posted: 08:51:37 17/05/2013
i have been waiting for this topic
#7 Posted: 22:58:30 18/05/2013 | Topic Creator
I was searching the forum for one but apparently I'm the only one who seeks urban legends to research.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me