Forum

Spyro: A Hero's Tail

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: A Hero's Tail > Who Else Thought This Game Was Very Underrated?
Page 1 of 1
Who Else Thought This Game Was Very Underrated? [CLOSED]
Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#1 Posted: 21:15:57 01/02/2013 | Topic Creator
I personally thought this game was so unique from the others, in a such a good way, and I never hear this game as much as I feel I should. Anyone else feel this way?
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
TorchSheep Emerald Sparx Gems: 3251
#2 Posted: 23:11:54 01/02/2013
It's my 4th favorite Spyro game, which means it is REALLY good, you could maybe call it underrated, but I find ALOT of people actually like this game alot so it's about 50/50 in opinions. Also, people that refuse to please this game because it wasn't made my 'Insomniac' are retarded smilie.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#3 Posted: 01:04:00 02/02/2013
Well the game was definitely fun, and I can appreciate the semi-open world style they went for. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
SamXala Gold Sparx Gems: 2398
#4 Posted: 02:15:14 02/02/2013
I love this game, it has a lot of funny moments. The only bad thing it's the Corrupt Data Glitch >.<
---
O_0 Holy Cow!! I'm a Gold Sparx!
Winston1 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1089
#5 Posted: 20:48:09 02/02/2013
I didn't really like this game when I first played it, it just seemed boring and the data glitch caused me to give up on it for at least 3 years. Then last year I finally replayed Hero's Tail and actually grew to really enjoy the game. It's not my favorite game in the series, but it is fun and I agree that gets too much hate.
Wojowu Yellow Sparx Gems: 1415
#6 Posted: 21:07:38 02/02/2013
While I was playing this game I had only rage quit I remember >.> And it was while trying to get last Light Gem on last Blink's challenge. It took me over one hour just to do that! It was after year-long break from playing this game
---
Any Osu fan here?
#7 Posted: 21:24:52 02/02/2013
Quote: Wojowu
While I was playing this game I had only rage quit I remember >.> And it was while trying to get last Light Gem on last Blink's challenge. It took me over one hour just to do that! It was after year-long break from playing this game

Blink Levels were HANDS DOWN my least favorite part of the game. Why not Sheila or Bentley levels?
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5322
#8 Posted: 22:26:33 02/02/2013
It's my most favourite Spyro game, because:
The funny lines
The graphics
The difficulty, wasn't too easy or too hard
The atmosphere

Also the fact its one of my first games I've ever played.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:26:53 02/02/2013 by crystalhero37
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#9 Posted: 23:15:26 02/02/2013
It's certainly a bit of a system shock if you grew up with the classics due to the way it has fun with the classic elements (ALL classic elements, from gameplay to characterisation), but it does have a nice, humorous charm to it.
---
Eh.
#10 Posted: 13:00:35 03/02/2013
Quote: Crookshanks
Quote: TorchSheep
It's my 4th favorite Spyro game, which means it is REALLY good, you could maybe call it underrated, but I find ALOT of people actually like this game alot so it's about 50/50 in opinions. Also, people that refuse to please this game because it wasn't made my 'Insomniac' are retarded smilie.

Yeah. That's the same reason why people don't like Crash: TwinSanity when it's a good game.

^ This so much. Crash Twinsanity is my favorite Crash game, even when I grew up playing the originals.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#11 Posted: 15:49:03 03/02/2013
AHT is my 4th favorite Spyro game, I just find it pretty fun and simple to go through. I like his breaths too. And how he swims. And how he runs. And how you can play with an Ember or Flame skin. etc...

I didn't like most of the minigames though. Especially Blink's and Sparx's.
---
but i love it all smooth
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#12 Posted: 16:31:45 03/02/2013
^That was my one problem with the game. The side-games for Dragon Eggs and Light Gems were not very enjoyable and sometimes felt like chores... <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#13 Posted: 16:33:42 03/02/2013
This is my 4th favorite too, I remember playing this game for a full day last year NON-STOP, ...I didn't get much sleep that day smilie
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#14 Posted: 07:29:48 04/02/2013
I do get feelings that this game is quite under-rated, from my experience, it seems to get ignored completely, or you get people who complain about little subtle changes that are made to the game. I'm beginning to think that this is my favourite Spyro game ever, with Gateway to Glimmer in second. Some of the challenges can be quite fun, and some others I don't like too much, but I think that's just the "norm" with Spyro games to me. I still think the most toughest challenge is the yeti race in Spyro 3, in the Super Bonus Round.

I really like how they re-designed all the characters that have returned from the classic universe, apart from Sparx, I think he could have been made better, he looks a bit derpy. And is it me? Or do the levels seem longer? It feels like there isn't as many of them, but they feel longer. I also think that Blink's levels are fairly good, he feels a lot more easier to control than the characters in Spyro 3.

Now for the music, I still believe that nothing can be Copeland's masterpiece, the soundtrack is alright in A Hero's Tail, but I think it's easily forgettable.

The graphics, and the colours of the levels are easy on the eye, and overall atmospheres in the levels feel sort of real.

The boss levels are very simple to beat, I suppose they're not as simple as Spyro the Dragon, because in each of the three sequences of these battles, it seems that you've got to work out a different way to find their weakness. They're alright I suppose, at least when you die, you have a checkpoint to continue the battle from where you left off, as long as you got a certain section off their health bar, which in a way is a good thing considering that these battles can be tedious, but also makes the boss a whole lot easier. You also don't have to worry about a life counter system, since they've been stripped from the game completely which in a way, makes it easier to play. I kind of wished that they kept the life system.

I don't know if I prefer the gems to be a collectible or be currency, it doesn't really bother me a great deal. And Moneybags only appears in shops, or as a hologram in sections of the levels, which I think is better than just having him randomly appear at certain parts of the level. It just brings a more "modern" sense of gaming to it.

Spyro himself; well, I reckon you get to see his personality even more so, of how he really is, and how he really should be, whether you like it or not, that's Spyro. I just feel that they bring out all of his parts of his personality into this game. And now I think that his design is the best, and his animations.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7660
#15 Posted: 16:07:53 04/02/2013
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
derp

derp yourself
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#16 Posted: 20:02:18 24/07/2013
the thing i like the least about this game is the blink minigames since they are too long, after all this game isnt called blink a hero's tail.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
spyrobeta Green Sparx Gems: 237
#17 Posted: 03:37:41 25/07/2013
Its not as bad as it could of been, but i still hate it.

The only reason i hated it was the stupid ideas the developers had to completely redo the characters and music. They ditched Tom Kenny to replace him with a horrible actor (Jess Harnell), and stewart copeland to replace his music with generic music.
---
Spyro Classic Fan forever. I highly despise Activision and Skylanders. Problem? Shove it.
#18 Posted: 11:36:46 25/07/2013
Quote: spyrobeta

The only reason i hated it was the stupid ideas the developers had to completely redo the characters and music. They ditched Tom Kenny to replace him with a horrible actor (Jess Harnell), and stewart copeland to replace his music with generic music.

I bet you would rather play it than the Legend of Spyro wouldn't you?
---
spyrobeta Green Sparx Gems: 237
#19 Posted: 11:55:46 25/07/2013

Yes, but thats not really the point.
---
Spyro Classic Fan forever. I highly despise Activision and Skylanders. Problem? Shove it.
#20 Posted: 19:20:00 25/07/2013

Yes, but thats not really the point.

I don't know, is it?
I don't understand how you can hate it, just because of minor changes. It seems like you're reacting to them like it is some kind of big deal? I always like to go for the gameplay over anything else, and that's what determines whether a game is decent enough to play for me, I think that's partly why I am so picky when it comes to liking video games.

So, you're going to hate on a game that has changed the characters slightly, the music has changed, and the voice over had changed, not because of the gameplay though, right? smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:22:08 25/07/2013 by SuperSpyroFan
spyro177 Green Sparx Gems: 391
#21 Posted: 17:24:48 10/08/2013
yes I have it and find it to be one of the greatest games in the original era
---
"the game is on"
DragonDog Ripto Gems: 1798
#22 Posted: 20:07:31 17/01/2014
I like it. The graphics where very colorful and pretty. Mainly the flowers and water.
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#23 Posted: 20:18:21 17/01/2014
I liked the more serious and difficult boss battles. Playing as hunter was pretty cool, but the Sparx ones were really annoying.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
Akame Yellow Sparx Gems: 1584
#24 Posted: 22:45:44 03/12/2014
I always thought Hero's Tail was super overlooked. Maybe because of the difference in gameplay? I mean gems are basically meaningless ( other than to buy stuff from resident-cultural-characterbags ) and I guess the design of the game is a little different to the very basic and natural look of the originals. But I really like it!

My only dislikes are the cheap deaths and the fact that mini-games (e.g. Sgt Byrd, Blink, Cannon games ) have to be done twice each for the eggs and light gems. It's kinda ... not fun at all.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6071
#25 Posted: 23:51:43 03/12/2014
I didn't like it the first time I played it, but then I backed up and got some perspective and it's my favorite Spyro game next to the original Insomniac three. :) It's silly, it's nicely designed and scored, it's full of innuendo that is hilarious if you're reading between the lines... Really, it's just overall enjoyable and I'd love to play it again sometime.
Lipschitz01 Red Sparx Gems: 27
#26 Posted: 08:56:31 05/02/2015
It's a weird game because it feels easy.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:51:38 13/02/2015 by HIR
Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
#27 Posted: 06:03:52 25/02/2015
As someone who loves the classics, I honestly really love this game? It's different, yeah - but I understand the attempt to go in a different direction after how bad EtD bombed. And I appreciate that they didn't go in a drastically different direction, just changed up the world and some of the characterizations. The general feel still was there, with the same silly humor and side quests and collecting items, etc etc

I really liked the semi-open world feeling of it, and I loved some of the new characters, and the mini games (even though most of them were p easy) were fun too! And some of the levels and music are really nice and waaaaay underrated. I mean, listen to Cloudy Domain!!

I liked how each OST was unique to it's level, while also having a similar/connecting tune to all of the other levels!

So yeah, this game was way underrated. I see where the criticism comes from and I understand those who don't like it (also tbh Moneybags' change in design was odd and vaguely racist) but I think it deserves more positivity and recognition too!!
---
I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#28 Posted: 23:52:25 25/02/2015
I have conflicted feelings about it. On one hand, I like that it tried to modernise the series but didn't toss out what was charming. I like the art direction, graphics and music, the story setup is neat and the semi-open world style is cool. Searching for collectables is fun and the level design is good. Unfortunately, some of the environments look too similar, which can make the game a bit confusing and even though I like the plot and characters, I don't like the dialogue. In fact, I find most of the dialogue annoying, though I can see what they were going for. I also don't enjoy the minigames. They're really generic and don't have the level of personality Insomniac's did.

It's not the worst thing to come out of this series, by a longshot, but I don't think it's as great as some other people do. It seems a fringe of this fandom loves it now, and I still see it mentioned occasionally, so I wouldn't call it underrated. I think it's above average, but nothing special, either.
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 04:15:03 26/02/2015 by Arc of Archives
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5337
#29 Posted: 05:37:18 23/06/2015
I've always loved this game a lot, especially with how it brought back the idea of having multiple playable characters. It was a blast to play and I was always sad that it basically went completely under the radar for most people. I guess most people were so turned off by the loss of Insomniac and the poor quality of Enter the Dragonfly that they never even gave A Hero's Tail a chance.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#30 Posted: 08:35:20 23/06/2015
I absolutely LOVED this game.

Cal me blasphemous but I think I might have liked it even more than the Classic Trilogy if it was the first Spyro game I even played.
But that trilogy was my childhood... Can't top it.

It was such a blast after the disappointment that Enter the Dragonfly was (so much wanted potential...).

I think every developer who wants to bring back an old series should take inspiration from this game: it was new and fresh but managed to keep what made Spyro so unique and yet improved it in many ways.
I guess it's my 4th favorite game so far.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
SqueekyBeanz Red Sparx Gems: 39
#31 Posted: 06:51:59 02/08/2015
Heh, I'm going to get shot.

SPYRO: A HERO'S TAIL IS MY FAVOURITE SPYRO GAME, NO EXCEPTIONS!

There I said it.
---
"Deep in the bowels of an old Power Plant a sinister plot is hatching..."
Posted Image: http://33.media.tumblr.com/tum...ci12wo3_250.gif
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#32 Posted: 12:48:58 02/08/2015
It's not an upopular opinion, probably.
It's one thing saying ETD or SL but this game is decent even to those who don't like it.

Can't believe I didn't post here before, though. I didn't even know this game was underrated, because among my friends who liked the series, this game was godly and nothing could be better. I like the gameplay and it's really a lot of fun, but after getting older the "humor" definately got to my nerves because of how mean-spritited some exchanges get.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
BlueThunderfan Blue Sparx Gems: 926
#33 Posted: 02:39:03 05/08/2015
It's alright, but not my favorite. It brings a fair bit of new stuff to the series, and does a lot right, but kinda fails to stand out and be memorable imo. I will say though that it has my favorite soundtrack out of the original series. (Yes, I just said that)
---
Sleeping is Dumb!
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 02:43:38 05/08/2015 by BlueThunderfan
Arc of Archives Yellow Sparx Gems: 1486
#34 Posted: 15:27:34 30/08/2015
I'm playing through it again and nah. At least not in the Spyro fandom, where it gets plenty of love (compared to most other games, at least). It's a good game and I'd love to see another Spyro game in this style, but there's nothing groundbreaking about it, either.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:31:55 30/08/2015 by Arc of Archives
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#35 Posted: 01:42:51 19/09/2015
And looking back at it, I still love it. Although its been years since I've played the game.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me