Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Skylanders Novels, Comics, and Activity Books Thread
First | Previous | Page 11 of 21 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19 20 21
Skylanders Novels, Comics, and Activity Books Thread [STICKY]
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#501 Posted: 15:12:11 14/04/2015
Hi, hope I'm not intruding!

I've been interested in the Malefor arc since I first heard of it, and just yesterday decided to see how well the comics show up on my Kindle by buying "The Kaos Trap," since it was only $3.99 on Kindle. I am way more impressed with it than I thought I'd be!

But, looking into the other comics, I am confused about how they work. I've never bought comic books, and I only have a one issue stand-alone manga, so I haven't done this before. From what I can piece together from the one I have, it seems to be the same stories as Issues #1-3 with #0 included at the end. Since the one that was released at the beginning of the month - Skylanders: Champions - is the same amount of pages, I assume it's the same setup (Issues #4-6 with another unrelated one at the end), but I'm not sure what the bonus would be?

And how do the actual comics look in person? I have the mini-comic given out on Skylanders Day last year. Is it like that, or higher quality? One thing I really enjoy about the Kindle edition is how you can zoom in on some of the smaller panels to see the art better, so how big are the actual books? Eyeballing it, my Kindle screen is the same size as the art part of the mini-comic, so if the books are the same size as that then I probably will get the Kindle edition.

Thanks in advance for any help!
---
Thank you for releasing me!
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#502 Posted: 18:29:26 14/04/2015
Can't help with physical, but the hardcover bundles don't have the same structure as regular. As far as I can tell,both Champions and RotDK have 20ish pages plus a minicomic at the end, and artists change between issues and comics with varying ability and style(compare double shoulder beefy Hex in her minicomic in #5 to her stylized, more loyal to official artwork design in #7 and on).
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:30:11 14/04/2015 by Bifrost
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#503 Posted: 18:31:37 14/04/2015 | Topic Creator
The comic bundles contain the comic stories that are in parts, like The Kaos Trap (Issues 0-3) and Champions (4-6). The regular comics themselves usually come first before the comic bundles. They are larger than the mini comics that's for sure.
The Kindle releases are slow compared to the comics being released online on Comixolgy and Google Play.

[User Posted Image]
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:33:15 14/04/2015 by Aura24
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#504 Posted: 00:46:05 15/04/2015
@Bifrost
I think the ones I'm looking at are the bundles. I found them by searching "Skylanders comic" on Amazon and it popped up with those three (The Kaos Trap, Champions, and Return of the Dragon King (pre-order only)) first. Amazon says they're 80 pages each, while the ones that don't have titles on Amazon (the regular editions, I assume) are only 26-28 pages.

And yeah, I noticed the style difference when reading "The Kaos Trap." It was especially blatant when I got to the Issue #0 story.

@Aura
Thanks for the info! I figured that was probably how it worked, from what I had seen. If the hard copies are bigger than the mini-comic, then I want to get them in that format for sure.

If I go digital, though, I would prefer to wait for Kindle format vs. getting it in computer format. I like to read away from the computer, and the extra time doesn't bother me that much.

(Not @ anyone in specific)
When I asked about quality, I meant quality of the paper. As in, if it's shiny, or easy to tear, or if it's just regular paper. Sorry, I should have specified. If it's really low quality, I might just wait for the Kindle version, since I like the way it looks on my screen.
---
Thank you for releasing me!
#505 Posted: 01:14:01 15/04/2015
I'm getting both hardcover(getting each issue would take forever) and digital, even if just to support the amazing art and that Malefor's rewriting is much appreciated. I like having them easy to pick up on the shelf, but the quality in digital (like Comixology's PDF backups) comes in handy when looking for art reference. It's amazing how hard it is to see the game models in some angles(and the books have inconstencies like Hex not having legs, I'm sorry but what), so it's amazing to see the art this close to the official sources and models in the current arc.
---
#506 Posted: 09:08:16 20/04/2015 | Topic Creator
New IDW Comic Book bundle, Skylanders: Rift into Overdrive, is prequel to next Skylanders game -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1631404121/
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#507 Posted: 11:53:46 20/04/2015
Kaos returning when no one wants him anymore, "unknown part of Skylanders" once again... But hey,Spyro is involved this time,aim for the skies man and don't ever let the canon make you irrelevant.

On another subject, the IDW facebook probably will get previews of ROTDK2 today, so keeping my eyes peeled.
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#508 Posted: 12:52:02 20/04/2015
And I'm still waiting for it release on Kindle. I wonder why it's taking so long.

Anyway the prequel comic sounds awesome. Hopefully a drop in tone as well. VV seems to have listened to us when it comes to story!
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#509 Posted: 00:14:08 21/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Well what do you know? The Kindle Edition of Return of the Dragon King Part 2 is up for preorder -

http://www.amazon.com/Skylande...ords=Skylanders
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:14:45 21/04/2015 by Aura24
#510 Posted: 00:16:11 21/04/2015
AURA, I LOVE YOU AS A FRIEND! <3
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#511 Posted: 00:22:20 21/04/2015
But the first part is nowhere to be seen in there?

...Gosh,if Amazon's amazing taxing for brazil and the fact they insist to send everything here by boat(taking more than you'd get by ordering from China,even), I think I'll wait for someone to show up on Ebay with the hardcover version when it shows up.

Also entire day and just one preview for any of the comics getting released wednesday. Very strange, since the final Fiendship is Magic is also coming out soon and that ought to get some shoutouts early(though iirc Equestria Daily has the full preview already,but still). Keep in mind I'm not in any way saying I'm following that series, was just using it to find out how the IDW facebook page worked with schedules. The quality of that miniseries is kinda questionable.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:23:41 21/04/2015 by Bifrost
#512 Posted: 08:12:06 21/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Comicbookresources posted the last two preview pages of Issue 8 before tomorrow, including an epic double page that Fico Ossio teased us with a sketch of back last year -

http://www.comicbookresources....ders-8-idw-2015
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:27:20 21/04/2015 by Aura24
#513 Posted: 11:41:19 21/04/2015
Couldn't resist, had full time to sit and read this week xD

Blades leading the group without Spyro around? Now I really want to see the exact timeline on the comics because for how long did he stay back on the Academy to learn proper teamwork?
And the double page also doubles as a Where's the Cameo. We've never seen so many together ever since the Beginning Trailer,no?
And looking at the pages full screen,wow no time is spent putting ingame powerhouses Drobot and Flashwing out of the fight. I'm not sure if that was intentional but if not it's a pretty good way of showing off Malefor's power levels without exposition.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:33:21 21/04/2015 by Bifrost
#514 Posted: 12:46:57 21/04/2015
What I like seeing is that they use Skylanders from all 4 games, not just TT to promote the game. They really want to show ALL Skylanders work together.
---
#515 Posted: 14:49:18 21/04/2015
Just wish Acti would promote this back :I almost tempted to use that fandom email they had for "suggestions" and fanart to ask of them to give the comic arc a shoutout in the Skylanders Facebook.
---
#516 Posted: 18:13:49 21/04/2015 | Topic Creator
CLASSIFIED seems very boastful of himself now that he has been revived.

"Summon every Skylander from the far corners of this world to stand before my might and be broken! I am Malefor! And I am magnificent!"
---
#517 Posted: 18:56:36 21/04/2015
Well, with proof to back himself up in the form of taking out two groups of four fan favorites with one hit. AND he's already a level over Golden Queen since he didn't even ponder over explaining his plans to his captives and already left to carry them out.
---
#518 Posted: 00:10:24 22/04/2015
Well, tomorrow is the time. Think that for the next and final part we can assume it's actually coming out May 20th, considering the sudden delay. And for songs this time for you guys,considering the preview,it didn't exactly happen this way in DOTD but close enough.
---
#519 Posted: 06:28:28 22/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Part 2 of the Dragon King Saga is now out.

And Fico Ossio brought in a familiar scenario within the comic as part of Cynder's backstory after researching Malefor in Dawn of the Dragon.

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:32:03 22/04/2015 by Aura24
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#520 Posted: 10:00:26 22/04/2015
I'm still surprised at what happened in this issue:

Malefor managing to damage the Academy, beating all of the Skylanders (even the Giants)shown fighting, and even Master Eon threatning him in spirit form.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 10:13:39 22/04/2015 by spyrocrash
#521 Posted: 10:08:58 22/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Yeah he isn't messing around. Makes you wonder how powerful he is now.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:18:30 22/04/2015 by Aura24
#522 Posted: 13:28:10 22/04/2015
GOSH this would be a great game, wouldn't it? I don't want Kaos again. Unless he's still trapped.

Anyway I love love LOVE the drop in tone! This is what Skylanders needs in the games. The writer for SF has improved so much! Skylanders Academy breaking down was intense and seeing the Skylanders fall being knocked out was a surprise too.
---
#523 Posted: 14:45:48 22/04/2015
But we're getting Kaos. Again ._. At least unless David writes CLASSIFIED into obliteration, we could always get him as an extra boss or major spinoff villain.

Hex really is a weird elf subspecies. Dark grey eyes, tiny ears if she has the same as that other elf elder, and probably she always had the grey hair from the All Hallows' Eve alter ego too to match the windows. Cynder also looks plenty taller while corrupted.
Skylanders build Citadel, gets obliterated. Skylanders build Academy,gets obliterated. I think they better get an existing hub in the future like Woodburrow because their islands have giant targets on them. Too bad Malefor won't have time to get a Skylands styled redesigned Lair from DOTD on top of the school.
Also look at all those dreams of fans having their skylander beat Malefor all on his own crushed.

Also wow,I didn't notice this until the second read - the colorist painted the Mabu in the first flashback completely wrong and then the artist of the minicomic took it as a challenge and made the Mabu walking teddy bears,complete with having hair and fur colors that make it seem like someone cloned and dyed Hugo(keep in mind it's the same colorist for both parts of the comic). Actually screw that,Hugo still looks sorta like a rodent,those are straight up bears being called Mabu.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:13:00 22/04/2015 by Bifrost
#524 Posted: 02:10:38 23/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Issue 11 Cover -

"New characters, New elements! Skylanders: A Light in the Dark concludes as we build up to next issue’s Season Finale! Featuring art by David Baldeón (Nova)"

[User Posted Image]
---
#525 Posted: 02:27:05 23/04/2015
PAIN-YATTA <3!

Now how does this fit in the continuity? I'm guessing before TT. It'd make the most sense.
---
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#526 Posted: 07:09:25 23/04/2015
Blackout: I'm too SWAG to be feared.
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
#527 Posted: 11:51:46 23/04/2015
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
PAIN-YATTA <3!

Now how does this fit in the continuity? I'm guessing before TT. It'd make the most sense.

After TT but before SKL5,according to the minicomics. The four were just freed but this is before the Rift into Overdrive arc - which is now called a season finale,huh?

Gotta love Blackout caring not one bit about being in a whirlpool of candy.Well he IS from the Realm of Dreams,he's probably seen things that make Telescope Towers look like a good trip.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:52:46 23/04/2015 by Bifrost
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#528 Posted: 12:24:28 23/04/2015
That could also be a different Pain-Yatta.
#529 Posted: 13:08:51 23/04/2015
The comics seem to tend to use the namesake villains, at least the ones we saw. Might be an army of them led by the real deal.

Also,as someone in the Rift into Overdrive thread pointed out,that arc follows The Kaos Trap and Champions,and not the current or the next arc. Not sure if mixing up continuity or someone saying the first comics that showed up in their minds.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:09:15 23/04/2015 by Bifrost
PMTgaming150 Gold Sparx Gems: 2238
#530 Posted: 13:25:08 25/04/2015
Lol at the Blackout face, but does anyone else Hate that they say that witch Hex beat Malefore?
That basically throws (not saying all of it is canon) the whole epic showdown at the end of DOTD out the window
I never really liked Hex but now I just flat out hate her for this, I can accept that they fought but she did not kill him
smilie and smilie did! and any fan who played DOTD will tell you
---
MS paint DIO stares into your soul
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#531 Posted: 13:28:35 25/04/2015
Quote: PMTgaming150
Lol at the Blackout face, but does anyone else Hate that they say that witch Hex beat Malefore?
That basically throws (not saying all of it is canon) the whole epic showdown at the end of DOTD out the window
I never really liked Hex but now I just flat out hate her for this, I can accept that they fought but she did not kill him
smilie and smilie did! and any fan who played DOTD will tell you

Skylanders IS NOT (thankfully) canon to LoS and especially DOTD. So that doesn't matter.
---
#532 Posted: 13:49:46 25/04/2015
Thankfully, the mess of DOTD is nowhere near this decent-though-short story. Skylanders is a reboot no matter what fanon or whiny fanboys say.
Also you're hating pixels for doing something to a bigger bunch of pixels. Don't. (Hex is best skylander.)

Though I do wonder why they kept Malefor as the first purple(purple-pink?) dragon if Spyro has no idea of who he actually is. Spyro is from another dimension so he wouldn't have seen him personally,of course, but if I was a rare species of magic reptile I'd actually research why this guy from the same species used to be a Dragon King.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:54:33 25/04/2015 by Bifrost
#533 Posted: 13:56:55 25/04/2015
Quote: Bifrost
Thankfully, the mess of DOTD is nowhere near this decent-though-short story. Skylanders is a reboot no matter what fanon or whiny fanboys say.
Also you're hating pixels for doing something to a bigger bunch of pixels. Don't. (Hex is best skylander.)

Though I do wonder why they kept Malefor as the first purple(purple-pink?) dragon if Spyro has no idea of who he actually is. Spyro is from another dimension so he wouldn't have seen him personally,of course, but if I was a rare species of magic reptile I'd actually research why this guy from the same species used to be a Dragon King.

I would have made Malley back or maybe even navy blue. I don't think he should be pruple. It makes him to similar to the awful DOTD Malefor.

Anyway this Malefor is much more well written that the DOTD one. I still picture him having that AMAZING voice though.
---
#534 Posted: 14:36:21 25/04/2015
I picture him sounding like the Watcher from Darksiders that I posted a while back but of course much more grandiose. But yeah, giving him Vathek's undead dragon pattern would've made more sense, unless they've got more plans for him actually using every element. As of now aside from strength and his armor's machines he really only used the same fire Dark Spyro has,if it isn't some sort of undead augmented fire.
---
#535 Posted: 14:39:22 25/04/2015
I picture him sounding like the Watcher from Darksiders that I posted a while back but of course much more grandiose. But yeah, giving him Vathek's undead dragon pattern would've made more sense, unless they've got more plans for him actually using every element. As of now aside from strength and his armor's machines he really only used the same fire Dark Spyro has,if it isn't some sort of undead augmented fire.

Hasn't it been said his armor is what is literally holding himself together? Perhaps his armor will fall of in the last issue revealing his more undead appearance.
---
#536 Posted: 23:03:20 25/04/2015 | Topic Creator

We'll probably find out in the final issue of the story arc. Malefor also mentioned that he's going to claim "what is rightfully his", so we may see what made him believe he can rule Skylands.

EDIT -

Here's a look at the Take Flight and Fight children's book -

https://itunes.apple.com/us/bo...958735241?mt=11

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 10:27:35 26/04/2015 by Aura24
#537 Posted: 13:39:43 26/04/2015
Seems to be a fun story for children like Spyro and the Giants but dear lord the artwork looks like reject ones for the SF figures. The background is also almost like the scenery for Know-it-All Island, Dragon's Peak doesn't seem to have too many rocky areas like that.
---
#538 Posted: 14:12:17 26/04/2015
Seems to be a fun story for children like Spyro and the Giants but dear lord the artwork looks like reject ones for the SF figures. The background is also almost like the scenery for Know-it-All Island, Dragon's Peak doesn't seem to have too many rocky areas like that.

It looks like Soda Springs, not Know-It-All Island.
---
#539 Posted: 18:05:25 26/04/2015 | Topic Creator
Yeah it is Soda Springs, not Dragon's Peak.
---
#540 Posted: 18:21:34 29/04/2015
Also,not sure if it was listed like that from the get-go, but ROTDK Part 3 is listed as coming out in May 20th at Previews World. Probably can safely assume that the third week is the new date for the monthly releases now.

(more time for me to finish fanart from Part 2, I aimed for big and now I have to juggle between that and work)
---
#541 Posted: 18:38:33 29/04/2015 | Topic Creator
IDW Publishing revealed on Comiclist.com that its updated list for their comic release dates in May (which was updated today) for Skylanders #9 is May 13th.

http://www.comiclist.com/index...-for-04-29-2015

It's sooner than we expected~

The list also revealed that Skylanders #10 will be released on June 24th, and Issue 11 will be out on July 29th.

EDIT:

Nevermind, looks like the date changed for issue 9, it may very well be the 20th.

EDIT:

Issue 9 previews are here, from iTunes -
https://itunes.apple.com/us/bo...992658295?mt=11

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 01:53:47 08/05/2015 by Aura24
#542 Posted: 08:45:01 08/05/2015
Delayed but with previews? Oh man, not sure if I'll check them this time, but I'll think over that again when I'm back at my PC.

Nope couldn't resist,but I'll pass on the Resources previews this time, just 3 pages to savour the ending more.

Are those some of Mal's teeth flying out in one of the panels? He's immune both to the usual villain rules of waiting for the heroes to act and that they don't get lasting injuries,yeowch.
And now for the battle from a cunning evil dragon with a mechanical suit that's a bigger threat than some of the giant monsters around and has some real beef with the protagonist(s). Wait,where did I hear this before...?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:29:27 08/05/2015 by Bifrost
#543 Posted: 19:21:32 08/05/2015 | Topic Creator
And we finally know what Calliope's motive was.
---
goldenrushducks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1572
#544 Posted: 22:24:28 10/05/2015
What about that GS exclusive comic?
#545 Posted: 22:28:42 10/05/2015 | Topic Creator
It's added inside comic issue #7 as a followup to Issue #10.

EDIT -

Amazon released the book cover of the 2016 Skylanders Annual:

[User Posted Image]

Here are the rest of ISsue 9's preview pages before Wednesday, from Comics Bulletin.com -

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 06:20:02 16/05/2015 by Aura24
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#546 Posted: 12:52:32 16/05/2015
Well nice to have a villain who doesn't waste time and give praise when it's due.
#547 Posted: 13:15:01 16/05/2015
As I said before, will pass because it's such a big chunk of the comic to just spoil the fun too close to the release. Will stay a bit away from the topic until Wednesday.

But I won't forget about some songs! For the final part, you can go classic, a mechanical-sounding theme, or if we're getting a chase scene from the first three page previews, there's one that fits like a glove~ See you fellow comic/book fans in five days :U
---
#548 Posted: 14:18:56 16/05/2015
Uh, is there an amazon preorder for the next comic? I can't find it on Amazon.
---
goldenrushducks Yellow Sparx Gems: 1572
#549 Posted: 14:29:18 16/05/2015
I light show, and it's sequel in a hardcover?
Plus, where can i buy these, except for any online sellers, for i bought the kaos trap on walmart.com.
#550 Posted: 16:39:02 16/05/2015 | Topic Creator
Comic books are sold in comic book stores of course. Or online in digital stores like Amazon, comixology, or Google Play.
---
First | Previous | Page 11 of 21 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19 20 21

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me