Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Mobile > Skylanders: Battlegrounds > Official Skylanders: Battlegrounds News Thread
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Official Skylanders: Battlegrounds News Thread [STICKY]
ThePunchPopFizz Green Sparx Gems: 258
#1 Posted: 17:41:44 16/11/2012 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

Bring the Skylanders to Life on Mobile! Skylanders Battlegrounds is a new adventure that lets you bring the Skylanders to life on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch! Connect the Bluetooth portal to your device, place a Skylanders character on the portal and let the adventure begin. In Skylanders Battlegrounds, use your favorite characters to battle against new and different creatures as you explore the world of Skylands.
Features:
Play with multiple characters at the same time
Unlock and upgrade powerful abilities for each Skylander
Instantly swap Skylanders in and out of battle with the Bluetooth Portal of power
Unleash devastating Portal Master powers, including Lightning Bolts and Dynamite
The portal can be used with Skylanders Cloud Patrol and Lost Islands too!
Works with all Skylanders characters

Starter Pack retails at $49.99
Included inside:
3 Skylanders characters: Jet-Vac, Cynder and the limited edition Royal Double Trouble (Gamestop Exclusive)
Exclusive platinum treasure chest packed with in game rewards
Over 100 power items including health potions, elixirs, shields, bombs
Light of the Champions Gem - level 4x faster with your characters
Power Item Bag - carry the maximum amount of power items into battle
Bluetooth Portal of Power that is compatible with iPad (all versions), iPhone (4 and higher) and iPod Touch (4th gen and higher). iOS version 5.1 or higher required.
Download code for Battlegrounds
Trading card, sticker and secret code for each character and collector poster

The app iavailable in the App Store by itself for $6.99

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ:

RDT is in his Series 1 pose. Does he Count as Series 2?
Yes. Also if you get the pack from anywhere but GameStop he is still in his Series 1 pose but counts as Series 2.

What does the Platinum Treasure Chest do?
It grants you 100's of in-game items and unlocks all the slots to use items. It also unlocks the Champions Gem that grants you 4x XP. Finally if you ave it on the portal after a battle you gain 10x coins! Currently the chest does nothing in Lost Islands. I do not yet know what effect it has in the console or 3DS games.

I bought the game in the App Store but now I want the portal. Will I get my money back when I redeem the code?
No, Activision says you will receive in-game gems equaling the $6.99. More info is needed on exactly how many gems you get.

Do true variants show up as different?
Currently, no. Dark Spyro and all Legendaries show as different s well as RDT but thats it. I say currently because i hope there will be an update (as i hope for Lost Islands too)

Does the 3DS portal work for this game?
NO. I'm not sure why so many people think the 3DS portal is bluetooth. It is not.

Do levels transfer over to this game from the console version or from Lost Islands?
No. The Skylanders themselves do not level up at all. Essentially the portal master levels here. Also, no nicknames or hats transfer over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently there are 2 bosses with 10 battlefields each. 2 more bosses are labeled "coming soon". Activision has said they plan on adding more content over time to this game if there's an interest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates:
11/21/12 - Launch day update.

Please post any new info or questions you have and I will update accordingly. smilie
---
Ravens Nation.
Activate: PunchPopFizz
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 16:10:31 21/11/2012 by ThePunchPopFizz
TheBakonBitz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1360
#2 Posted: 22:07:03 16/11/2012
Too expensive, $30 yes, $40 maybe, $50 not a chance. Not buying Jet-Vac and S2 Cynder over again. Double Trouble is in his S1 pose, lame.
Peridot Weapon Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#3 Posted: 22:15:24 16/11/2012
Yeah, some variety in the figures between the various starter sets would be nice. I've already got enough Cynders to start a small army, and don't want a THIRD Jet-Vac.

Since the App can be bought separately from the Starter Pack, it'll be a hard sell to spend $50 on a repainted Double Trouble, a remixed Treasure Chest, another portal that really isn't needed for anything and a whole lot of "boost to get through the game faster" items. (Best Buy worded the description to make it sound like you got special trading cards with it, but Gamestop clarified that to be just the standard cards you'd get with any figure purchase.)

I also swore that I'd never bother to pick up any Series 2 Reposes because I probably wouldn't sit down and put enough time into them to get their Wow-Pows ... and my current collection of Skylanders shows how long I stuck to THAT idea. Dollars to donuts I'll buy this before the year's out.

As always, I blame it on the 60-hour work weeks. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:20:12 16/11/2012 by Peridot Weapon
#4 Posted: 22:18:57 16/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Btw the RDT is a true variant. Not just a repaint.
---
Ravens Nation.
#5 Posted: 22:24:25 16/11/2012
Quote: ThePunchPopFizz
Btw the RDT is a true variant. Not just a repaint.

Nodnod. Seeing as they already have him "pre-loaded" in Cloud Patrol and Lost Islands.

The apps still need to get caught up in many cases between "true variants" and "repaints," though - Skylanders like Granite Crusher and Punch Pop Fizz are treated as their standard versions when the codes are used in Lost Islands.
#6 Posted: 22:43:56 16/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Agreed. I'm guessing there will be a substantial update for both current games when battlegrounds comes out since some of us will be using the portal with those games too.
---
Ravens Nation.
mantez Emerald Sparx Gems: 3167
#7 Posted: 22:44:49 16/11/2012
Anyone Know where I can buy this in Australia?
---
Gullible is not in the dictionary.
darkrai848 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#8 Posted: 22:55:35 16/11/2012
the portal is almost needed they have said in an interview that in battlegrounds that if you have the portal you can swap skylanders of ypur choice at any time for free, and if you dont use the portal you can pay in game gold to swap to a random skylander in your collection (random as in the game chooses what skylander).
---
If you like toys to life, you might be interested in Lightseekers!
Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playfusion/lightseekers/description
fatherofskyland Green Sparx Gems: 223
#9 Posted: 01:52:37 17/11/2012
I have preorder my copy at my local gamestop. The manger said he would be selling it at midnight. Lost islands already has portal support. When you on the character screen there is a small portal in the lower right hand corner.
#10 Posted: 02:24:14 17/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: fatherofskyland
I have preorder my copy at my local gamestop. The manger said he would be selling it at midnight. Lost islands already has portal support. When you on the character screen there is a small portal in the lower right hand corner.

GameStop is doing a midnight release for this?

Yes it has portal support but no one in America has a portal so no one can verify its ability yet. I believe there will be an update for variants as well as other bugs we've seen so far all at once when we get portals. It goes with RDT being on there as well. It's a kind of advertising to make sure people who are playing LI will see the portal icon and look into it. Otherwise many people are unaware of this.
---
Ravens Nation.
Alliana Green Sparx Gems: 311
#11 Posted: 05:57:26 17/11/2012
LOL @ using the image from my Dropbox account

You're welcome.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:59:27 17/11/2012 by Alliana
skylanders100 Green Sparx Gems: 388
#12 Posted: 12:08:02 17/11/2012
im not wasting money on the portal i don't care which skylander it is
---
come join my beyblade metal fury role play
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#13 Posted: 12:36:38 17/11/2012
At the LEAST yes the Portal will work with Lost Islands. Go onto the Skylanders menu in it and it has a Portal specific screen.
Anyway, I am disappoint on them adding Jet-Vac and Cynder, now. Not like we didn't know for ages, but thinking over it it sounds extremely cheap like a way to get extra money. I hope the Chest has at least some use with Lost Islands and all the other games, in fact, it should give you a ton of gems smilie
matthewgerber Blue Sparx Gems: 662
#14 Posted: 16:40:28 17/11/2012
I think having Jet Vac and Cynder in the iOS starter is pretty smart, myself.

I think our scenario is pretty typical of an average gamer (not an übercollector, just a family with kids of the appropriate age):

1) Own S:SA for one console (Wii) and PC (Macintosh)
2) Bought S:G Portal Owners Pack (Wii)
3) Going to get the iOS Starter for our iDevices
4) Leaving us with two sets of S:SA starter figs, one wireless portal, one wired portal, one Bluetooth portal, and one set of S:G starter figs plus bonus fig and item

So really, what we all clamored for originally came to pass, and would have been best all along: There should have been Portal Owner packs starting with S:SA. I'm sure Activision realizes that now as well.
---
Portal Master Blaze Brightsun @ Skylanders:Universe
#15 Posted: 13:24:04 18/11/2012
The thing being ignored above, though, is the 3DS version. That's where they really dropped the ball this year; anyone that wants to pick that up is forced to pick up a redundant portal and figures that are guaranteed to have at least one duplicate with the console or iOs versions. There probably aren't too many people who would play JUST on the 3DS.

My guess is that the 3DS version of Spyro's Adventure didn't sell enough to warrant putting different all figures in its starter pack this time around - they just tossed in one simple variant and called it a day. (Much like Battlegrounds; clearly they're not trying to aggressively encourage sales through temporary figure exclusivity.)

But I guarantee if they'd included (for example) Thumpback, Lightning Rod and Punch Pop Fizz with 3DS Giants, and made those characters not available in standard packs until 2013, it would have sold considerably better this holiday season. (Punch Pop Fizz, of course, much like Dark Spyro, would have remained a 3DS exclusive, the others just being like Ignitor was in 3DS Spyro's Adventure.)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:27:10 18/11/2012 by Peridot Weapon
Alliana Green Sparx Gems: 311
#16 Posted: 12:39:05 20/11/2012
Appears it comes out tomorrow, according to a TRU employee on the facebook page who was kind enough to post an in-hand pic of the mobile starter
#17 Posted: 12:39:29 20/11/2012 | Topic Creator
It's on tru now. Looks more like RDT is GameStop exclusive tho its weird that everyone else gets an s1 pose still. Calling my tru at 8am to hold mine til I get off work.
---
Ravens Nation.
#18 Posted: 12:41:33 20/11/2012
Exactly- the problem isn't duplicate figures, but rather how they make the cost for what is just one iOS game rise so steeply. Get the feeling the actual thing on the App Store will end up being <$10, and even for the extra Portal capabilities picking up the pack for over $40 more would be a completely unappealing choice to me if I didn't collect the figures.
#19 Posted: 12:58:11 20/11/2012 | Topic Creator
For me it's just about having the portal really. I don't have a console so I only got the 3ds pop (was hoping they'd have a pc version again. Sucks for me) so I look at this as my console version purchase. Plus I have a $50 gift card from my folks just for this. Gotta get it from tru tho since my wife said there's no way I'm gettin the GameStop one instead and spending real money lol.
---
Ravens Nation.
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13842
#20 Posted: 15:51:29 20/11/2012
Not entirely sure whether these have been posted before but here's a trailer and some screenshots:

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
phyreenx Yellow Sparx Gems: 1401
#21 Posted: 17:45:47 20/11/2012
Just thought I'd post this here so everyone can see. This is the version I got at my local GameStop just 10 minutes ago. It was still in the back and I got 1 of the 2 they had received, so if you want it I'd recommend getting there ASAP.

Front:
[User Posted Image]

Up close and personal:
[User Posted Image]

Back:
[User Posted Image]
---
Collection:
SSA: 37/37 (no variants, bb, rds) Sidekicks: 1/4
SG: 13/50 (no variants) Giants: 5/12
#22 Posted: 18:16:17 20/11/2012
I got my copy. With RDT! Awesome
#23 Posted: 20:21:53 20/11/2012 | Topic Creator
FINALLY got thru to my tru (I hate them) and they have it and ill have mine at 830. So effing excited. No RDT but the true variant nerd in me will have to stfu cause I gotta use my gift card.

Anyone play yet? Is the dt series 2?
---
Ravens Nation.
ShinkenRed Gold Sparx Gems: 2651
#24 Posted: 22:41:12 20/11/2012
The strange this about the S1 Double Trouble that I saw at work this morning was that it had an orange base. And before anyone asks, it was standard DT, not RDT.
---
Unique Character roster:
S:SA: 32/32, S:G: 16/16, S:SF: 32/32, S:TT: 36/36
#25 Posted: 00:50:31 21/11/2012
what i want to know is what does the s1 Double with the orange base register as in the game (wii,xbox360.ps3) s1 or s2 or some thing else.
---
Kickstarter:
Dmcrocks Gold Sparx Gems: 2182
#26 Posted: 00:56:31 21/11/2012
Is it true that you can buy it in the app store, just the game? Cause I already have a bluettoth portal from the 3ds version. Maybe I could get this for Jet-Vac though...
---
if you're looking to get in contact with me, please go through http://petty-bourgeoisie.tumblr.com
#27 Posted: 01:04:07 21/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Dmcrocks
Is it true that you can buy it in the app store, just the game? Cause I already have a bluettoth portal from the 3ds version. Maybe I could get this for Jet-Vac though...

3ds portal is not bluetooth.
---
Ravens Nation.
Dmcrocks Gold Sparx Gems: 2182
#28 Posted: 01:05:31 21/11/2012
Yeah it is. It looks identical to the one shown in the trailers.
---
if you're looking to get in contact with me, please go through http://petty-bourgeoisie.tumblr.com
skyoutube Green Sparx Gems: 497
#29 Posted: 01:17:20 21/11/2012
Can somebody post a picture of RDT. I'd like to see a good picture of him.
#30 Posted: 01:44:36 21/11/2012

No- it's smaller, and it's InfaRed.
#31 Posted: 02:35:00 21/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Nibelilt

No- it's smaller, and it's InfaRed.

Double correct. Even if it looked the same it wouldn't mean it was the same technology...
---
Ravens Nation.
#32 Posted: 02:57:02 21/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Confirmed thru lost islands. Reg dt counts as s2.
---
Ravens Nation.
DocCroc Yellow Sparx Gems: 1668
#33 Posted: 06:11:12 21/11/2012
Looks like the game is up in the App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/ap...d540442762?mt=8
#34 Posted: 06:13:10 21/11/2012
So for anyone who picks the "full package" up for this - if you use the Portal, does the game recognize the levels you've earned with your characters, and can you use this game as another way to advance them to Level 15 or find hats that you can bring back to Skylanders: Giants?

Because that's really the one element of interactivity that the iOS games are still missing. Now that they have a portal, if you aren't actually affecting the status of the true figure when you place it on the Portal of Power, it won't really feel like it serves any point.

Even if they needed to start you at Level 1 again for game balance purposes, EVERY game should have its own level system that's saved to the characters and displayed in each game that you use that character in. Patch in portal support to Cloud Patrol and make a level system based off of the overall number of points you've earned using a character in the game, earning bonus gems in the game for each Level you obtain.

And when the next Skylanders console game comes out, have it display Adventurer (Console) Level, Universe Level, Cloud Patrol Level, Lost Islands Level and Battlegrounds Level, and give an accolade for having a Skylander that's at least Level 10 in all five categories.
Zing Blue Sparx Gems: 616
#35 Posted: 15:41:43 21/11/2012
The characters in Battlegrounds don't even seem to gain levels, so what you describe is meaningless in this regard.

I am really annoyed at how the game seems to have been designed mainly for iPad and the old iPhone and looks stretched out on the iPhone 5. They clearly designed the UI elements with a 4:3 ratio in mind, and everything is stretched in 16:9.

I'm also annoyed at how the game reminds you after every battle that you are missing out on coins due to not having the treasure chest. It's ridiculous, because I have the treasure chest code, just not the bluetooth portal.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:44:49 21/11/2012 by Zing
#36 Posted: 15:46:21 21/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Zing
The characters in Battlegrounds don't even seem to gain levels, so what you describe is meaningless in this regard.

I am really annoyed at how the game seems to have been designed mainly for iPad and the old iPhone and looks stretched out on the iPhone 5. They clearly designed the UI elements with a 4:3 ratio in mind, and everything is stretched in 16:9.

Might update it for 5. I've seen a few games come out that update for the bigger screen a few weeks after release.

My pet peeve is the lack of true variants. Only RDT and the legendaries count so far. Didn't bother me so much on LI but this should so have em. I <3 smilie
---
Ravens Nation.
#37 Posted: 16:04:07 21/11/2012
No, the app is already "iPhone 5 enabled" and fills the whole screen. What I mean is that the UI elements feel stretched out. The 3D models and such look proper, it's just the bitmapped UI elements (buttons, etc). Text and everything is proper. I think they just didn't want to provide multiple resolution bitmaps.
#38 Posted: 16:12:50 21/11/2012 | Topic Creator
No, the app is already "iPhone 5 enabled" and fills the whole screen. What I mean is that the UI elements feel stretched out. The 3D models and such look proper, it's just the bitmapped UI elements (buttons, etc). Text and everything is proper. I think they just didn't want to provide multiple resolution bitmaps.

oh i see. yea that would annoy me too. Still not impossible to be updated i suppose. wishful thinking lol.
---
Ravens Nation.
skyoutube Green Sparx Gems: 497
#39 Posted: 17:04:13 21/11/2012
[User Posted Image]

This is NOT my photo.
#40 Posted: 18:30:28 21/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Man he looks sweet. I'll get him off evil bay in the spring. Should be reasonable by then. Him and gnarly (so far)

(Edit to not double post) JUST BEAT ARBOREATER. Now don't assume the game is short. I mean its not a console game obviously but I spent my entire morning playing and a couple hours last night. Plus there's still the other boss's missions. Also 2 sets coming soon. Plus plus activision said they'd keep putting out chapters. Just wanted to announce my victory.
---
Ravens Nation.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:51:18 21/11/2012 by ThePunchPopFizz
#41 Posted: 20:33:46 21/11/2012

Okay - I saw a "level gauge" in the video, so I'm assuming that's just a universal level and not specific for characters.

What's the point of having a portal and the ability to put characters on it if it doesn't use any of the traits from the figure beyond identification?<Shrug>
#42 Posted: 20:48:41 21/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Easy/free swap out during battles. Easier registering than web codes. Bonuses from the chest. Also feels nice when you actually use your collection as you play instead of cold impersonal codes.

Portal isn't for everybody. The game itself is a blast either way.
---
Ravens Nation.
#43 Posted: 22:15:52 21/11/2012
You can't swap characters during battles. The only reason for the portal is to easily unlock characters and use the chest. Otherwise, I feel it is a waste.
#44 Posted: 22:43:15 21/11/2012
^ what? I guess you don't have this. You can swap out in battle and it is just as good as the counsels.
#45 Posted: 23:25:22 21/11/2012 | Topic Creator
^true
---
Ravens Nation.
#46 Posted: 23:36:08 21/11/2012
yes with the poral you can swap in battle
---
Kickstarter:
#47 Posted: 00:15:45 22/11/2012
Quote: ThePunchPopFizz
Easy/free swap out during battles. Easier registering than web codes. Bonuses from the chest. Also feels nice when you actually use your collection as you play instead of cold impersonal codes.

Fair enough. Still feels like they only went halfway with it, though. If you've got a Spyro on the portal it should do SOMETHING to make it so it's different than every other Spyro figure on the planet that could be on there at the time, and save your accomplishments to carry on to future games.

Ah, well. That's just my opinion, anyway. It's not like they have to make the game specifically around MY wants.

Likewise, there's no point in me complaining about how instead of giving chest owners a 4x bonus to XP, they're really giving people who don't have the chest an XP penalty of 75%. Since the console games could be described as a large collection of artificially locked on-disk DLC, needing to pay to unlock "premium content" isn't exactly something new to Skylanders. smilie
#48 Posted: 00:49:40 22/11/2012
I don't want any more level systems. Simply because Universe already goes to 50, near-unconquerable with every Skylander.
mradamjm01 Blue Sparx Gems: 789
#49 Posted: 02:02:30 22/11/2012
It looks kinda expensive.

Ya know who here thinks this is a good game please tell me if you think its worth it.
---
King Dedede: Hey there kirby have you ever met-a-knight?
#50 Posted: 02:15:43 22/11/2012 | Topic Creator
I haven't been able to put it down. If you don't wanna she'll out the 50, the app by itself is only 7 bucks. Absolutely worth more than 7 bucks.
---
Ravens Nation.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me