Forum

Skylanders: Lost Islands

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
The "Cynder Code Experiment" [CLOSED]
Peridot Weapon Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#1 Posted: 12:04:28 11/11/2012 | Topic Creator
With the various games out there now that support the 10-character ID codes (Universe, Cloud Patrol, Lost Islands and the upcoming Battlegrounds), I'm curious to try to figure out approximately how many times a code can be "used" before it expires, and whether that number of uses is limited by game, or once you've used it the set number of times it won't work on ANYTHING after that.

So with that in mind, I have a Cynder (Series 2) code to offer to anyone that doesn't have Giants yet, and would like to be able to use her in the Lost Islands game.

[Edit] Now that the code's been "compromised," I might as well just release it to the world at large to see if there IS actually a limit in Lost Islands right now, or if they're just waiting to add in Activate to limit the codes accordingly.

Cynder [Series 2]: KYV9W-4MLFQ *** Maxxed out and no longer working as of 11/19 ***

Go nuts. And if you do use the code and it still works, throw a message in this topic just to let me know. smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 04:06:30 22/11/2012 by Peridot Weapon
sonsilv2 Blue Sparx Gems: 835
#2 Posted: 19:11:24 11/11/2012
can i have it
Nicko542 Green Sparx Gems: 144
#3 Posted: 09:10:58 12/11/2012
I'm very curious about this also. Please post your findings and I really hope nobody ruins this by getting the code and doing a runner.
#4 Posted: 09:48:17 12/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Nicko542
I'm very curious about this also. Please post your findings and I really hope nobody ruins this by getting the code and doing a runner.

There haven't really been too many people asking for it yet - probably because this is a newly released, "niche" game, and the number of people who are interested in both Skylanders AND own an iDevice may not always overlap.

Of course, if I posted this on somewhere like GameFAQs, I'd probably have a dead code in five minutes, for better or worse.

Does anyone know if there's a way to reset this app to the beginning? If you delete the app entirely and reinstall it, does it remember where you were and which figures you've redeemed? Because if it resets, I could borrow a friend's iDevice and just keep resetting the game until the code no longer worked. That'd give me a "clean" experiment. But I'd hate to waste a code like that ...
Alliana Green Sparx Gems: 311
#5 Posted: 10:13:53 12/11/2012
It resets when you delete the game from the device. Tried this a couple of times on my iPod to test the code,it accepted it 5 times till I got bored of trying. Seems there may not be a limit at which the code becomes fully spent.
#6 Posted: 10:25:28 12/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Alliana
It resets when you delete the game from the device. Tried this a couple of times on my iPod to test the code,it accepted it 5 times till I got bored of trying. Seems there may not be a limit at which the code becomes fully spent.

There is, though - on a whim, I tried a code for Legendary Bash from Youtube that had been up there for about half a year, and Lost Islands told me that the code had been "redeemed too many times."

It might be a very high limit, or it might be a prevention method that only gets kicked in if the server detects the same code has been uploaded from multiple locations in a short amount of time.

Since 200 Gems is a higher price to pay than the "unlocking" costs in Sky Patrol, I suspect some people might eventually ask for codes for their favorite Skylanders. I'd like to be able to help in that cause on occasion, but I need to know the code limits and if the limit affects ALL games or if there's a separate limit on each game.

Mostly, though, I just wanna know. smilie
#7 Posted: 05:39:25 13/11/2012
Hmmmm so would you both be able to say that its safe to redeem the same code once on two different ios devices?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:46:44 13/11/2012 by Nicko542
#8 Posted: 10:25:08 13/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Hmmmm so would you both be able to say that its safe to redeem the same code once on two different ios devices?

Using the same code on two different ios devices you own (or between you and a friend that you know won't run off with the code) definitely won't be a problem.

So far the 'traveling Cynder' has beem activated on at least five different devices. I also reset the game ten times on a borrowed iPod (to be honest, I'm surprised the game can run for a few minutes on that without crashing) and the code worked each time.

I can't guarantee resetting and reactivating a character on the same device counts as another use - they might have designed it so it recognizes a particular code/ios device ID pairing, and if it sees that twice, it won't count it as a code use. (It'd keep their customer service department from getting calls because someone used up all their code uses due to the game crashing and resetting on them!)

Anyway, I can guarantee that you can use an ID code on at LEAST five different iOs devices for Skylanders: Lost Islands and the code will still work after that point. (If all my reset attempts count as code uses, that number is at least as high as fourteen.)
#9 Posted: 11:05:50 13/11/2012
Okay well that makes a whole lot of sense. I guess now the question is how long until this travelling Cynder runs out. It might get to a point where its still going strong and you just give up on the whole experiment altogether haha. Best of luck though.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:08:17 13/11/2012 by Nicko542
#10 Posted: 21:32:58 13/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Okay well that makes a whole lot of sense. I guess now the question is how long until this travelling Cynder runs out. It might get to a point where its still going strong and you just give up on the whole experiment altogether haha. Best of luck though.

And would that really be such a BAD thing? If Cynder is the pioneer that shows I can give codes to 20+ people to play in Lost Islands or Sky Patrol, so much the better.

I'm starting to run out of Skylanders that I need to BUY on my "work ten hours, come home with a new one" method that I use to keep myself sane during the holiday madness. There's really not much reason to worry about "protecting" my code for Stump Smash (S1) when I've also got (S2) in my collection, for example ...
sonsilv2 Blue Sparx Gems: 835
#11 Posted: 17:27:02 15/11/2012
i got the code and used it 3 times universe cloud patrol and lost islands
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#12 Posted: 22:45:25 15/11/2012
Quote: sonsilv2
i got the code and used it 3 times universe cloud patrol and lost islands

Omfg. Did you read? USE IT ONLY IN LOST ISLANDS YOU DINGUS. **** now this kid broke the code >.<
---
words. letters. filler.
#13 Posted: 00:15:21 16/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Honestly, I'm surprised it took THIS long. smilie

Ah, well. I got at least eight confirmed uses out of it from different people so far and it's still going strong, so at least we know it's not going to "burn out" if you use the same code on a few different devices.

I do wonder how things will work if you use Activision's "Activate" service for these games, though. It goes out of the way on Cloud Patrol to indicate that a code can only be registered on a single account - it might well make the code not work anywhere else once Lost Islands supports Activate as well. <Shrug> Dunno.

Anyway, I've put the code up on the first post because there's no real point in protecting it anymore. Might as well see how long it lasts. smilie
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#14 Posted: 10:51:52 16/11/2012
I still have the once used Tree Rex code (thanks, by the way!) if you do choose to pursue this again.
#15 Posted: 04:08:34 22/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Not surprisingly, the code didn't last long once it went "public domain," and I got official confirmation a couple days ago it no longer worked.

Wish I had a more exact number known - might only be 10, might be at least 20 if all my own attempts on the same device "counted," could be as high as 50 if all sorts of people scavenged off the code without ever bothering to post a reply. (I doubt it, because this sub-forum isn't very well-travelled.) The world may never know.
sponge56 Green Sparx Gems: 240
#16 Posted: 18:22:40 23/11/2012
so does anyone have any good codes? smilie

smilie
---
twists of fury smilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me