Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > The Official Skylanders PROTOTYPE Thread
Page 1 of 21 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20 21
The Official Skylanders PROTOTYPE Thread [STICKY]
DluA Gold Sparx Gems: 2392
#1 Posted: 03:48:49 07/11/2012 | Topic Creator
The history of Skylanders is rather interesting to me, especially when it comes to characters that made it to the "Prototype" stage.

This thread will hopefully document confirmed PROTOTYPES of Skylanders. When updating this thread, please include the BEST image possible for the Prototype found AND ensure that the source is reputable.

For the purposes of this thread, I would like to request that the definition of a Skylander Prototype be:

Quote:
a one of a kind figure that was molded and/or painted by Toys for Bob OR Activision, but NOT released to the media or for retail.[/b]

Two examples that would NOT be Prototypes based upon this definition are:
1.) 2011 E3's, such as Trigger Happy/Gill Grunt/Spyro in the original packaging
2.) Custom figures that were either articulated or painted

I will do my best to make edits and try and keep everything categorized into: The Beginning, Spyro's Adventure, & Giants. PLEASE forgive if I initially double post just so I can start the three categories and NOT have too many pics in one post.

Special thanks to Aura24 and kappapopm for having posted alot of this info in various threads and helping me get additional info to create this...

PLEASE HONOR Dan Amrich's wishes, as the author of the article in the link below, by NOT assuming or believing that Prototypes will one day be released. In the end, they are just that, one of a kinds.
http://oneofswords.com/2012/10...ne+Of+Swords%29

Quote: Dan AmrichOneOfSwords
Hi all. I created that article. For those of you suggesting that these prototype figures will one day be made: They will not. I specifically asked Michael Graham if these characters had any chance of reappearing at some point in the future, or if they had simply served their function as a step in development. He said it was the latter, and that for Giants, the dev team sat down with a whole new fresh crop of character ideas. They move forward.

So please don't start any false rumors, and please don't assume that because you want it to happen that it has a chance of happening. That article was just intended to show you some of the amazing creative effort that went into making Skylanders, and to be completely honest, "Will people think that these are still going to get made" was a question that almost killed the article altogether -- many companies don't show you behind the development curtain for that very reason, and I had to make my case. I said we could give the audience credit for understanding that what they see, when clearly labeled as an abandoned prototype, was not going to be confused with a retail figure.

So don't prove me wrong. I was very proud of that article and I would love to be able to do others like it again in the future -- but I won't be able to if people start making stuff up and citing my article as if it's "proof" when it absolutely is not.

SKYLANDERS THE BEGINNING:

[User Posted Image] [User Posted Image]

Spyro from "Spyro's Kingdom" (Spyro's Kingdom was slated to be the original release, but scrapped in 2010, so that SSA could implement Portal magic)

---
REWARD: for valid information that leads to the addition of an ULTRA RARE 2011 E3 Gill Grunt in the E3 packaging.
Edited 13 times - Last edited at 22:15:31 07/02/2013 by DluA
#2 Posted: 03:49:27 07/11/2012 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

Spyro Prototypes

[User Posted Image] [User Posted Image] [User Posted Image] [User Posted Image] [User Posted Image] [User Posted Image] [User Posted Image]

Drobot evolution

Dino Rang Prototype

[User Posted Image]

Lightning Prototype

Prism Break Prototypes

[User Posted Image] [User Posted Image] [User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

Wrecking Ball Prototype

[User Posted Image]

Flame Slinger Prototype

[User Posted Image]

Stealth Elf Prototype

[User Posted Image]

Skylanders Facebook poll had users choose between Blue, Green & Red BASH. Blue ultimately won, but the other two were created prototypes:

[User Posted Image]

MOSS Stump Smash

[User Posted Image]

"Crypt" figure from Darklight Crypt Adventure Pack

ICE Stump Smash

[User Posted Image]

Slam Bam Prototype

[User Posted Image]

Some of the first SSA protoypes including Sun Dragon (Camo), Boomer, Warnado, Slam Bam, and even Haldor (Double Trouble)

[User Posted Image]

ICE and BRONZE Eruptor/Boomer/Dino-Rang
BLACK Spyro
PURPLE Cynder VARIANT(S)

[User Posted Image]

Various Prototypes

[User Posted Image] [User Posted Image] [User Posted Image]
---
REWARD: for valid information that leads to the addition of an ULTRA RARE 2011 E3 Gill Grunt in the E3 packaging.
Edited 30 times - Last edited at 20:44:39 15/04/2013 by DluA
#3 Posted: 03:49:47 07/11/2012 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/...-and-More/11377

3D JetVac

GIANT Prototypes

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

KAOS & Glumshanks Prototypes

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

Arbo
[User Posted Image]

Fright Rider among other Prototypes
[User Posted Image]

3D Terrafin

[User Posted Image]

Tree Rex Prototypes

[User Posted Image]

Pop Fizz

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

Ok... since this game is so new, I'm taking a little stab at the prototypes. The lighter colored bases have always been the designated prototype bases in the previous games. For example, a lighter green base = SSA. A lighter orange or yellow base = SG. I believe the lighter blue bases = SSF. I'll correct it if wrong.

Skylanders: Swap Force prototypes in the Vicarious Visions lab: http://www.polygon.com/feature...ise-and-rise-of
[User Posted Image]

https://www.facebook.com/photo...&type=1&theater

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/...t-Updated/12042

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 33 times - Last edited at 02:26:51 07/04/2013 by DluA
Kung Fu Man Gold Sparx Gems: 2120
#4 Posted: 04:28:13 07/11/2012
Okay the giants Sidekicks are going to be fun to get my hands on. This explains a lot of the early names I've run across for the various characters, and gives me hope of seeing Kaos as a figure in S3.

That skull tank is sweet as heck too.
Hazard335 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1435
#5 Posted: 04:29:57 07/11/2012
Cyclops Slime (or is it Snail?) looks awesome. but we needed a water dragon so I guess im glad he became Zap cuz he gos well with slime.

the bomb troll looks alot cooler then Boomer.

a green Bash would have made more sence then the other colors.

but otherwise the skylanders we got look beter then the prototypes. Double Trouble is way cooler then Haldor.

flocked Stump Smash was a better choice then moss. you can barley see any shape to that thing.

those two location items look pretty good. better then Empire of Ice and Dragons Peak. and if what i saw was an early Darklight Crypt then i must say i wish it didnt change. but on the other hand that prototype of the Pirate Seas really sucked.

the magic items we got were much better.

am i the only one who thinks the fat baby dragon looks really stupid?
or could care less about a kaos figure?

that translucent green Gill Grunt dos look epic tho.
Edited 9 times - Last edited at 05:21:56 07/11/2012 by Hazard335
#6 Posted: 05:05:27 07/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Based upon the information on this forum, it sounds like the Green Gilly will be a limited release, THUS NOT a true Prototype... BUT I agree, SO VERY COOL LOOKING!!!

[User Posted Image]
---
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#7 Posted: 05:25:29 07/11/2012
No, that green Gill Grunt was made only for Microsoft, they won't be selling those toys.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:32:28 07/11/2012 by Aura24
#8 Posted: 05:36:34 07/11/2012
green Gill Grunt should still be considered the 19th varient of the first game IMO
and as for Royal Double Trouble, when he gets released hes going to be in his series 2 pose right? it would make no sence for him to be in the orignal pose. what do they show on that clubhouse website?
#9 Posted: 06:12:37 07/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: DluA
For the purposes of this thread, I would like to request that the definition of a Skylander Prototype be a figure that was molded and painted by Toys for Bob (Activision), but NOT released to the media or for retail. Two examples that would NOT be Prototypes based upon this definition are:
1.) 2011 E3's, such as Trigger Happy/Gill Grunt/Spyro in the original packaging
2.) Custom figures that were either articulated or painted

If Green Gilly has been released to Microsoft in some form, then it would NOT be considered a Prototype based upon the thread's definition. I would consider it to be a very RARE variant (one that I'd LOVE to have!).
---
#10 Posted: 09:17:26 07/11/2012 | Topic Creator
If anyone thought that they could collect ALL Skylanders ever made, then have a look at one of Toys For Bob's Prototype display cabinets... Wow!!!

[User Posted Image]
---
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5322
#11 Posted: 09:20:22 07/11/2012
toys for bob has best skylander collection X3
oh gawsh, I llove prototypes, this topic must live, it must!
there was proto spyro, cyclop slimes and goast roaster for spyro's kingdom I posted in another topic a while ago, I'll try to find it.
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#12 Posted: 11:28:36 07/11/2012
Not pointing out much specifically but check out the Giants figures posters and the Giants site. You can see a lot of prototype figure coloring, like Sprocket having brown goggles and bands, old version of Flashwing, pink lip chill ingame...
skyoutube Green Sparx Gems: 497
#13 Posted: 11:53:02 07/11/2012
Moss Stump Smash is Flocked Stump Smash. He was released in an Activision and Frito-Lay promotion.

[User Posted Image]
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#14 Posted: 12:44:54 07/11/2012
I know they won't release them, but man, I still yearn for those Kaos figures. Or even just the one.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#15 Posted: 15:23:45 07/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: skyoutube
Moss Stump Smash is Flocked Stump Smash. He was released in an Activision and Frito-Lay promotion.

Again... based upon the definition of this thread, a Frito Lay Flocked Stump Smash would NOT be considered a Prototype as it was released to the media as a promotion.

Quote:
For the purposes of this thread, I would like to request that the definition of a Skylander Prototype be:
a one of a kind figure that was molded and painted by Toys for Bob (Activision), but NOT released to the media or for retail

Now here is the image I posted above regarding a Prototype Stump Smash. Not the best picture, BUT it appears that on the left is Flocked Stump Smash and on the right is the Moss Stump Smash that I believe is a prototype.

Thoughts?

[User Posted Image]
---
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#16 Posted: 19:23:52 07/11/2012
It looks like they probably just made it for fun. It's the Flocked Stumpy, but with a bunch of extra moss on him. "Over-Flocked" you could say.

So, it'd probably be akin to a custom
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#17 Posted: 00:04:49 08/11/2012 | Topic Creator
As you can see in this video, alot of times it is a lengthy process to finalize a figure so that it meets their expectations and is COST EFFECTIVE. I suspect that the Moss SS wasn't all that economical- especially for a promotion.

---
#18 Posted: 05:09:19 08/11/2012
found eeet.
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=40563
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#19 Posted: 06:31:59 08/11/2012
They just confirmed that the Green Gill Grunt will be released along wit hthe Xbox 360 Starter pack of SSA for Black Friday:

http://bfads.net/Walmart-Black...ylanders-Bundle
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Alliana Green Sparx Gems: 311
#20 Posted: 07:02:45 08/11/2012
If anyone thought that they could collect ALL Skylanders ever made, then have a look at one of Toys For Bob's Prototype display cabinets... Wow!!!

[User Posted Image]

LOL they use the same cabinets as I do for my collection!
#21 Posted: 13:37:04 08/11/2012
strange that there releaseing a varient from the first game. wonder if it will show up as special in giants.
#22 Posted: 14:35:46 08/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Strange yes, but considering how many System bundles with variants they are doing, NOT surprising. My hopes of getting one at some point have increased greatly now!!! smilie

EDIT: After second thought... we were expecting an emerald green variant after WERDS came out (back in August I believe) and never saw one. It seems like Activision listens to the feedback that's out there. Perhaps they made ammends by releasing Green Gilly??
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:32:36 08/11/2012 by DluA
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#23 Posted: 15:14:49 08/11/2012
SKYLANDERS Spyro's Adventure:

Skylanders Facebook poll had users choose between Blue, Green & Red BASH. Blue ultimately won, but the other two were created prototypes:

[User Posted Image]

Well, WERDS came from the Red Bash, and Green Grunt came from Green Bash!
(Obviously.)
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
#24 Posted: 17:27:23 08/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Matteomax
SKYLANDERS Spyro's Adventure:

Well, WERDS came from the Red Bash, and Green Grunt came from Green Bash!
(Obviously.)

Hmmmm... could be. The translucent colors seem pretty similar. Interesting thought!
---
kappapopm Ripto Gems: 1186
#25 Posted: 17:50:28 08/11/2012
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

you want more and see some nice videos of prototypes go here...

link:
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=44098
CHeMnICORn Green Sparx Gems: 117
#26 Posted: 18:30:00 08/11/2012
Quote: kappapopm
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

link:

Aww, I like the prototype on top way better than the actual release, but I guess it wouldn't have been as cost effective with all that detail.
---
Have smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie and smilie smilie
want smilie smilie polar smilie
Portalmaster name: Legend Divinedragon
#27 Posted: 22:40:15 08/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: CHeMnICORn
Quote: [User Posted Image</strong><blockquote class=
" />

Aww, I like the prototype on top way better than the actual release, but I guess it wouldn't have been as cost effective with all that detail.

AGREED! I really enjoy this one as well!!!

@kappa: Thanks for helping this thread be one stop shopping for viewing PROTOTYPES!
---
#28 Posted: 23:15:10 08/11/2012
Since no one ever pays attention when I post the topic:
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3127/21632273.jpg
#29 Posted: 23:29:56 08/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: crystalhero37

I got your back crystalhero37! smilie I included the pic in The Beginning section...
---
#30 Posted: 00:04:16 09/11/2012
Who ever preordered it from that site?
---
#31 Posted: 03:49:41 09/11/2012
Quote: crystalhero37

I got your back crystalhero37! smilie I included the pic in The Beginning section...

ah ok thanks smilie
.. dayum I didn't know it came out as a link smilie it was supposed to be a pic smilie
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=40563
and there was more in another topic in the giants section, I wonder where it went?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:55:22 09/11/2012 by crystalhero37
#32 Posted: 19:52:33 09/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Other Prototype threads from this forum:

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=61380

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=61417

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=46099

MODERN Prototype of Portal
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=59505

//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=61508
---
lucidity0001 Blue Sparx Gems: 885
#33 Posted: 22:25:00 11/11/2012
Even though Arbo wasnt a skylander his prototype figure was pretty interesting.

http://i.imgur.com/OwSKb.jpg

Unless it was a custom:/
---
~yeah for the time being, at least~
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:27:26 11/11/2012 by lucidity0001
#34 Posted: 12:44:59 12/11/2012 | Topic Creator
The visual evolution of Bouncer:

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
---
TheBakonBitz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1360
#35 Posted: 11:59:53 13/11/2012
Quote: kappapopm
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

link:

The spyro on the top is way better! I hate the spyro figure they have now, he looks to evil!
#36 Posted: 12:11:09 13/11/2012
I 100% agree the top one was way better. I think the one now looks to... "compressed"
---
TheBakonBitz Yellow Sparx Gems: 1360
#37 Posted: 21:54:31 13/11/2012
Quote: lucidity0001
I 100% agree the top one was way better. I think the one now looks to... "compressed"

And he looks kinda dark or evil?
#38 Posted: 22:58:57 13/11/2012
His face does. its a little unsavory for me. I mean its not bad but the I like the prototype bettersmilie
---
joshualamberg54 Ripto Gems: 0
#39 Posted: 23:54:02 13/11/2012
Wow! there are lots of toys, and I'd love to have one..

Anyways, if Green Gilly has been released to Microsoft in some form, then it would not be considered as a Prototype based upon the thread's definition.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:07:17 16/11/2012 by dark52
#40 Posted: 08:45:45 14/11/2012 | Topic Creator
His face does. its a little unsavory for me. I mean its not bad but the I like the prototype bettersmilie

How bout this face? Blue-eyed Spyro prototype! (Sorry, can't find a better pic)

[User Posted Image]
---
#41 Posted: 09:02:15 14/11/2012
The visual evolution of Bouncer:

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

once again, wished they did this, now bouncer has the same colouring as drill and other arkians :C
well, I have to say it does suit him however.
#42 Posted: 09:16:15 14/11/2012 | Topic Creator
FANTASTIC article and video within about I-Wei Huang, (TFB character & toy director)

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11...rs-toy-workshop
---
#43 Posted: 09:21:25 14/11/2012

How bout this face? Blue-eyed Spyro prototype! (Sorry, can't find a better pic)

[User Posted Image]

He looks like the Toon Blue Eyes White Dragon in yugiohsmilie

He looks a little cuter but i think his brown eyes and I suppose paler complexion (i think it suits him better) of the first one is better in my booksmilie

It was stated in a previous comment that it would have been more costly/time consuming with the detail which could have lead to the retooling. I wouldnt put it past them
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:26:44 14/11/2012 by lucidity0001
#44 Posted: 09:24:25 14/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Alliana

LOL they use the same cabinets as I do for my collection!

Yet another prototype display cabinet. I believe this is one of their main displays!!!

[User Posted Image]
---
#45 Posted: 09:45:26 14/11/2012 | Topic Creator
Any Glumshanks fans out there? Check out this prototype!!!

[User Posted Image]
---
cbunny84 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1403
#46 Posted: 08:42:12 15/11/2012
I would've so taken most of those prototypes. That moss stump smash looks like a big fro. Lol. I'd take the glumshanks, crystal chaos, all the crystal and metalics, the troll for of boomer, the dragon reject and the wizard.
---
new edition: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#47 Posted: 22:05:03 15/11/2012
Those ones you have there with the mini spyro aren't "prototypes". They're just a photoshop edit of the figure to represent the giants. I believe one of the review sites made them. (maybe Family Gamer?)
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
#48 Posted: 22:36:03 15/11/2012 | Topic Creator
OK. I appreciate that! It seemed legit. Thanks for keeping me honest! smilie
---
Kurui Ripto Gems: 191
#49 Posted: 00:31:06 16/11/2012
Any Glumshanks fans out there? Check out this prototype!!!

[User Posted Image]

Everybody knows I'm teh #1 Glumshanks-san fan ofc smilie

And kawaiidesu figure is kawaiidesu ^u^ I'd throw my monies at it (heck even bought the whole 120$ mega bloks castle thing just for the Glumshanks-san figure it came with *CRAZY*)
#50 Posted: 00:51:56 16/11/2012
There are actual (?) Prototypes on eBay! Of Gill Runt, Trigger Snappy, and Slam Bam! As well as a prototype CLEAR Stump Smash!
---
Page 1 of 21 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20 21

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me