Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Pokemon or skylanders [CLOSED]
pokemonmaster Blue Sparx Gems: 855
#1 Posted: 21:05:15 07/07/2012 | Topic Creator
I like Pokemon better
---
own all but smilie and no variants besides red smilieFor giants I have tree Rex pop fizz jetvac and s2 cynder
I LIKE POKEMON!! AND IM PROUD !!
ghost master Blue Sparx Gems: 700
#2 Posted: 21:21:46 07/07/2012
Pokemon ftw.
---
I have no ideas for a signature.
Ed On Cynder Blue Sparx Gems: 770
#3 Posted: 21:24:16 07/07/2012
Skylanders is awesome but Pokemon will never leave my heart.
---
32/32 + Extra smilie and smilie
Skylander hunt complete, excellent job!
spyro and sonic Diamond Sparx Gems: 8318
#4 Posted: 21:33:28 07/07/2012
I prefer pokemon but not just because I dislike skylanders, I'll explain.

Firstly, I've never played skylanders but I have played many pokemon games. This is naturally going to lead to an unconscious bias. Thus I also have more time to get to know pokemon while skylanders I don't know an obsessive amount about.

Secondly, pokemon is enourmously more complex than skylanders. Skylanders is a very basic game with simple gameplay mechanics, probably because it was desgined for young children. Pokemon is extremely complex when you start dealing with EV's, IV's, natures, capture chances, and shiny pokemon each of which is complex in its own right.

Finally, pokemon games usually have an awesome, imo, storyline. Skylanders just seems to be the basic 'hero defeats villain' type of story. This allows for full immersion into the world of the game.

This is essentially why I prefer pokemon to skylanders. There are likely more reasons but this is all I feel like saying for now.

tl:dr pokemon.
SpyraArtisan Blue Sparx Gems: 609
#5 Posted: 21:59:59 07/07/2012
Skylanders
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#6 Posted: 22:15:38 07/07/2012
I love both to death.
But I'd say Pokemon I guess. I love the music and challenge and more variety in it.
---
but i love it all smooth
MoonlitCynder Gold Sparx Gems: 2589
#7 Posted: 22:31:42 07/07/2012
Pokemon. Been a follower since it came out and I'm not picking this over Pokemon <3
---
37/37 + BsmilieTF+GITDsmilieRsmilieE3smilieFlockedsmilieGITDsmilieAsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
48/48 + 6/6 Legendary+smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie+ smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Cynder Lover25 Gold Sparx Gems: 2332
#8 Posted: 22:42:23 07/07/2012
pkempn smilie
---
Been here since 2012...still a gold sparx
SpyraArtisan Blue Sparx Gems: 609
#9 Posted: 22:49:36 07/07/2012
Quote: Cynder Lover25
pkempn smilie

*pokemon

durp
ShadowTwisted Green Sparx Gems: 305
#10 Posted: 22:57:31 07/07/2012
Both have arguably been overdone, but I give this one to Skylanders due to the unique element of the Portal of Power in an otherwise "it's all been done" gaming world. Pokemon has not really seen any significant change since its release. Catch pokemon, train them, collect gym badges, have encounters with "evil" organizations that try to do horrible things with Pokemon, yada yada yada. Skylanders game mechanics are simple and relatively similar to your average hack and slash, but the Portal of Power brings in rapid character switching in a unique way.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
spyrodadragon Green Sparx Gems: 490
#11 Posted: 23:46:43 07/07/2012
pokemon
---
everyone spam this now Posted Image: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/i...0x/30597908.jpg
or the enderman will kill you
Madhouse1 Green Sparx Gems: 450
#12 Posted: 01:00:14 08/07/2012
Pokemon got old because I cheated close to the max I'll battle anyone who wants to exange friend codes though
---
Right now I'm willing to battle people on Super Smash Bros Brawl
C1nder Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10087
#13 Posted: 01:19:16 08/07/2012
Pokemon
#14 Posted: 01:26:40 08/07/2012
Pokemon mystery dungeon is beast
---
OpalOsprey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1127
#15 Posted: 01:31:26 08/07/2012
With me, it depends on what aspect we are going over; the gameplay or collecting.

I like both games, there's just more to collect with Pokémon but a little less satisfactory. I liked Pokémon Ruby and Gold versions the best but I wish that Black/White version was longer with more extra content. Hopefully Black/White 2 will have what I expect from a good Pokémon game.

I like Skylanders almost equally but the collecting of the characters are what I find entertaining and challenging over the actual game. Game-wise, I prefer Pokémon, but collecting-wise, I prefer Skylanders because it seems more rewarding to me when I have an actual figure in my hand than a digital image.

Pokémon’s gameplay is a lot more fun and challenging for me than Skylanders. If they could only make Skylanders a longer game with more content and challenges, then I might reconsider.
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

"You don't need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane -Final Fantays IX
Cynder Lover25 Gold Sparx Gems: 2332
#16 Posted: 01:45:52 08/07/2012
Quote: SpyraArtisan
Quote: Cynder Lover25
pkempn smilie

*pokemon

durp

no i ment that
---
Been here since 2012...still a gold sparx
pokemonmaster Blue Sparx Gems: 855
#17 Posted: 03:11:24 08/07/2012 | Topic Creator
Pokemon wins yeah
---
own all but smilie and no variants besides red smilieFor giants I have tree Rex pop fizz jetvac and s2 cynder
I LIKE POKEMON!! AND IM PROUD !!
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5332
#18 Posted: 03:44:28 08/07/2012
that's like the hardest question ever smilie
I have to choose pokemon, I was a fan since I was 4 years old :3
Nibelilt Ripto Gems: 401
#19 Posted: 03:59:42 08/07/2012
Pokemon. Although I wish they would get rid of the IV system so that I could actually play online.
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#20 Posted: 11:42:25 08/07/2012
As an avid fan of the Pokémon games since Red/Blue I'd have to say Skylanders.

Why?

They haven't written a new story for the game since the Colloseum/XD GC games and the handheld is still the same story as it ever was except it's a lot harder to collect them all because there are just far too many now. At some point Skylanders will be criticised for the same problem but for now it's newer and more original than any of the last 4 generations of Pokémon games.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:43:05 08/07/2012 by Deandria
#21 Posted: 12:07:42 08/07/2012
Once Pokemon black/white 2 comes out I might like Pokemon more. My starter for that game is going to be snivy
---
BlazinBlackMage Gold Sparx Gems: 2021
#22 Posted: 14:28:52 08/07/2012
Well, to start, Pokemon has far more character customization and the ability to keep playing for hours even after the games finished. I've logged over 600 hours into my Platinum just to make tons of..I wouldn't say competetive, but teams that do pretty well. There's an endless possibility to what you can do with teams and your Pokemon even after the game is finished. (I'm trying to plan a Skylanders team, pfffhaha) I've still got a good couple hours of gameplay left in Skylanders to get all of mine level 10, fully upgraded, all Herioc Challanges, etc, but after that you can either play the game again over and over or just wait until the sequels. Or PVP if you've actually got family/friends that like the game, unlikemeOTL.

Story wise..currently I find them both to be a little subpar, but Skylanders wins that one for the fact theirs was at least..endearing, and felt like it had alot of love and thought put into it. The newest Pokemon, in my opinion, just feels like "Here's Platinum again but now you're fighting PETA!".
"Gotta Catch 'Em All" vs. "Collect All The Figures" however...Again Skylanders, it may cost an arm and a leg but you really have to work to find them sometimes, and the pay off is pretty awesome when you finally get that figure you've been looking for for weeks. Pokemon..once you get your first Action Replay that thrill of finally seeing that rare legendary Pokemon goes right out the window. Though I think I'm the only one that compares the Skylanders Variants to Shiny Pokemon. xD;

I could go on, Gameplay, Character Development (Which neither of them have :T ), Designs, the fact Sabrina is the best character forever, etc, but I'd be rambling more than I am now. So..yeah Pokemon wins for me, mainly for that character customization, designs, and endless play. But now that I think of it though what do the two really have in common besides collectability? Are we just judging based on personal like, nostalgia, or am I overthinking it. smilie But yeah, that's just my personal opinion.
---
Skylanders Collection: Completely lost count. OTL
WiiU ID: BlazingBlackMage (I accept all friend requests!)
Lost Islands Activate: BBMage
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#23 Posted: 15:16:52 08/07/2012
Quote: Deandria

Why?

They haven't written a new story for the game since the Colloseum/smilie GC games and the handheld is still the same story as it ever was except it's a lot harder to collect them all because there are just far too many now. At some point Skylanders will be criticised for the same problem but for now it's newer and more original than any of the last 4 generations of Pokémon games.

You forgot about Mystery Dungeon, Pokepark, Ranger, Trozei, Pinball, TCG, Nobungas Ambition and I forgot the name of a few, so, all the games don't have the same story which means-
[User Posted Image]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:17:49 08/07/2012 by arceustheprime
HexDisciple Green Sparx Gems: 249
#24 Posted: 18:04:52 08/07/2012
I like both.My vote for Skylanders is because of 2/3 things:
A-The concept of the Portal of Power itself.
B-The originality of the characters.I really doubt you'll see, say, a 4-arm Ice Yeti or a phoenix-dragon cross in a creature as a product of another gaming company.
As for Pokemon, I have played it since I was 5, by the time pokemon gold/silver/crystal came out.
The creatures are really original, some storylines are really intricate, with some, like pokemon black and white's, being a really twisted, topsy-turvy one. It's easy to like and easy to get used to. By now there are 649 pokemon total, with about only 10 being event-exclusive, which allows for a...horryfying number of possible combinations, depending on the game you play.On the later games, the attacks animations and Pokemon idea guidelines became more and more exotic.For the sake of some examples, there's an electrical tarantula in the 5th generation.An alien pokemon, Beeheeyem is included therein as well.As for moves, a pokemon in the 4th generation, Palkia, has a signature move that actually bends space, and there's another move that bends time.All in all, pokemon is more diverse, Skylanders is more original.You take your pick.
And about the long post, sorry smilie.
---
Gotcha!
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#25 Posted: 22:27:28 08/07/2012
Quote: arceustheprime

Why?

They haven't written a new story for the game since the Colloseum/XD GC games and the handheld is still the same story as it ever was except it's a lot harder to collect them all because there are just far too many now. At some point Skylanders will be criticised for the same problem but for now it's newer and more original than any of the last 4 generations of Pokémon games.

You forgot about Mystery Dungeon, Pokepark, Ranger, Trozei, Pinball, TCG, Nobungas Ambition and I forgot the name of a few, so, all the games don't have the same story which means-
[Pointless picture]

I've played most of those too... at they were all sub-par except the main series and Colosseum/XD which is why I ignored them in my comment. I kinda liked the ranger games but of the 2 I played I completed neither through boredom/frustration.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
#26 Posted: 22:43:38 08/07/2012
Quote: arceustheprime

Why?

They haven't written a new story for the game since the Colloseum/smilie GC games and the handheld is still the same story as it ever was except it's a lot harder to collect them all because there are just far too many now. At some point Skylanders will be criticised for the same problem but for now it's newer and more original than any of the last 4 generations of Pokémon games.

[User Posted Image]

Yeah mystery dungeon was a GREAT game and far different from any other Pokemon game. The closest related is pokepark because you play as a Pokemon from a pokemon's point of view and you recruit other pokemon
---
Skybagel Gold Sparx Gems: 2092
#27 Posted: 01:05:17 09/07/2012
Pokemon, but I like the Skylanders collectability, like a checklist.

(Playing with my Pokewalker right now smilie)
---
Whoop whoop! Yellow Sparx on the day of Swap Force's release!
#28 Posted: 01:17:07 09/07/2012
Yeah. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, I daresay, outdoes the entire third generation and fifth generation. I don't understand why people hate it so much, and it's a great change of pace for those of us who get bored with the main games. (*stares at postgame Unova*)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:17:29 09/07/2012 by Nibelilt
wayiswho Yellow Sparx Gems: 1259
#29 Posted: 01:19:19 09/07/2012
I've never gotten tired of Pokemon since it first came out and I'm already pretty uninterested in Skylanders, so I guess that would answer the question.

And to say Pokemon has never written a different story is just ridiculous. I would cite the newest game Pokemon Conquest/Nobunga's Ambition as an example of an amazingly unique storyline. Also Black/White had a very strong story that had more to it than all the other previous installments.
Forlork Green Sparx Gems: 395
#30 Posted: 01:25:28 09/07/2012
Considering the Tattoo on my back has hooh and Lugia, not Drobot and Camo, I'm sure you can guess my answer smilie
ultimusomega Blue Sparx Gems: 611
#31 Posted: 06:33:14 09/07/2012
I say pokemon I grow up on it just like few have sayed it hasn't changed much but it has in a few ways if u have played the original pokemon and the new white or black it is big change first thing I seen was it looked like they changed the status stats to make the fights more challanging the newer legendary have just as many week spots as strengths but are lot stronger then the basic legendary ones like the birds but now there's a few stronger then what mewtwo originally was but he's still up there. It funny cus I seen form about who the best video game villain was of all time the two both most sayed in there were bowser and sheporath from ff7 and yes I his names spelled. Probably wrong but I though it was interesting
Sanctum Nomen Green Sparx Gems: 416
#32 Posted: 10:11:15 09/07/2012
Pokemon if they made it a proper MMORPG. that would be awesome!!!! Just collecting pokemon and being able to pokebattle other players whenever you like smilie

SKylanders is more fun to me to be fair. Pokemon feels like a big grind in levels and while grinding you just capture everything you don't own yet..
crystalhero37 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5332
#33 Posted: 11:22:56 09/07/2012
plus pokemon snap was awesome, short but awesome smilie (no offence or the people voting skylanders)
#34 Posted: 12:34:38 09/07/2012
Quote: Sanctum Nomen
Pokemon if they made it a proper MMORPG. that would be awesome!!!! Just collecting pokemon and being able to pokebattle other players whenever you like smilie

SKylanders is more fun to me to be fair. Pokemon feels like a big grind in levels and while grinding you just capture everything you don't own yet..

yeaaayuhhhh
---
everyone spam this now Posted Image: http://cdn.memegenerator.net/i...0x/30597908.jpg
PinkWater Yellow Sparx Gems: 1059
#35 Posted: 16:23:41 09/07/2012
I'm glad and shocked Pokemon is winning. Add my vote to Pokemon. I've been with it since the beginning and the repetitive gameplay and continuous addition of them only entices me, really. In BAW, I've legitimately gotten every Pokemon I could get. BAW2 is coming out this fall, so I'm gonna do it all over again. Why? I guess cuz it's really my cup of tea. Skylanders has everything except the long gameplay.
---
CILAN IS THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE.

I DARE YOU TO PROVE ME WRONG! ...Actually don't. I'm quite biased.
#36 Posted: 17:04:49 09/07/2012
for now
---
ShadowMewX Diamond Sparx Gems: 8081
#37 Posted: 20:07:40 09/07/2012
Oh, that's a hard one...
I love both, but I took a loooong break from Pokemon to play Skylanders. I love the diversity of the levels, and how each character has its own story.

However, Skylanders is new and doesn't have much of a storyline. Pokemon has had many different games of every type, with new stories and new creatures that I never get tired of. I'll go with
Pokemon, FTW!! smilie
---
Let's bust bunsen burners and bounce!
ghost master Blue Sparx Gems: 700
#38 Posted: 20:13:03 11/07/2012
Quote: PinkWater
I'm glad and shocked Pokemon is winning. Add my vote to Pokemon. I've been with it since the beginning and the repetitive gameplay and continuous addition of them only entices me, really. In BAW, I've legitimately gotten every Pokemon I could get. BAW2 is coming out this fall, so I'm gonna do it all over again. Why? I guess cuz it's really my cup of tea. Skylanders has everything except the long gameplay.

I have also completed my pokedex, so I am going to buy BAW 2 but im not going to bother catching every pokemon again.
---
I have no ideas for a signature.
Aquatic Llama Green Sparx Gems: 436
#39 Posted: 20:50:44 11/07/2012
Skylanders because Pokemon is boring.
#40 Posted: 21:38:31 11/07/2012
Quote: Aquatic Llama

Care to elaborate?
#41 Posted: 21:57:49 11/07/2012
Quote: spyro and sonic

Care to elaborate?

All you do is catch train them which is boring. The battles are boring too. Then you fight gym leaders which are easy, then you go on and face the site four. It's the same game over and over. Obviously i'm talking about the core series. I've played my brothers Pokemon rangers game and it's really boring. I like Skylanders because it reminds me of the Lego series and the multiplayer is very similar to Brawl.
Dynomy84 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1022
#42 Posted: 22:05:49 11/07/2012
I love Pokemon, but my vote goes to Skylanders.

Why? Well, Maybe it's just me, but it just feels more... adventurous in a way. Pokemon is fun, training your own battle monster and all, but it just doesn't give me as much as a big adventurous vibe. Mystery dungeoun on the other hand is pretty cool, and that could be another thing that makes it tougher to choose. But even then, I still have more preference towards Skylanders. The designs look pretty cool, from Zap, to Camo, to Slam-bam, to even the Giants! That, and some Pokemon don't impress me as much when time goes by. Don't get me wrong though, Pokemon's pretty cool, but Skylanders is just the cooler thing for me. That, and I've known Spyro since I was a kid. I still got a soft spot for him. Sure, people can argue that he isn't the main character, but he's in, so it's something I'll keep a good feel over.
---
Zap
------
Ride the lightning!
#43 Posted: 22:11:12 11/07/2012

Care to elaborate?

All you do is catch train them which is boring. The battles are boring too. Then you fight gym leaders which are easy, then you go on and face the site four. It's the same game over and over. Obviously i'm talking about the core series. I've played my brothers Pokemon rangers game and it's really boring. I like Skylanders because it reminds me of the Lego series and the multiplayer is very similar to Brawl.

Ahh, okay, I see where you're coming from. It gets more interesting if you start to learn the complex mechanics of battling. I respect your opinion, I just wanted to know the reasoning for it.
#44 Posted: 22:42:11 11/07/2012

Care to elaborate?

Ahh, okay, I see where you're coming from. It gets more interesting if you start to learn the complex mechanics of battling. I respect your opinion, I just wanted to know the reasoning for it.

I have had fun with Pokemon and I can see why so many people love it. It's just not my kinda game. I loved the original region and the second one. After that it went downhill.
#45 Posted: 03:55:44 12/07/2012
^ I agree with that last statement (when it comes to the new Pokemon), I liked 1 and 2 most. I still love the others too (I still need Black though..) but I always play Gen 1 and 2. (:
---
but i love it all smooth
#46 Posted: 03:59:51 12/07/2012
Quote: LevanJess
^ I agree with that last statement (when it comes to the new Pokemon), I liked 1 and 2 most. I still love the others too (I still need Black though..) but I always play Gen 1 and 2. (:

No school like the old school.
#47 Posted: 04:10:18 12/07/2012
Have you played SoulSilver or HeartGold? They take place in Gen 2's region and are arguably the best in the series. You can walk with any Pokemon and talk to them, you get to travel two regions, and there's plenty to do once you beat the Elite Four(Pokéathlon, beating Red, etc.). I do agree the regions have been getting more lackluster though... They're just more linear now. Especially Unova.
#48 Posted: 04:16:02 12/07/2012
I have SS and I love it. I love how the Pokemon follow you and I love the Pokeathlon.
Though one thing I love best in R/B/Y and G/S/C is the music. I don't care a whole lot for the music in the later games.
---
but i love it all smooth
lucidity0001 Blue Sparx Gems: 885
#49 Posted: 08:51:48 12/07/2012
Pokemon
---
~yeah for the time being, at least~
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me