Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Super Legendary Cynder [CLOSED]
StormbringerGT Green Sparx Gems: 162
#1 Posted: 18:49:57 07/04/2012 | Topic Creator
And Cynder is done! Been so for two days now but I couldn't find time to take and post pictures. Here she is.

She has stained details and dry brushed scales and other raised details (such as the wings as well) Her eyes have a high glass finish so they are more reflective. She has thin black outlines separating her features. She has a "stock" base so she fits in with the rest of the crew. Her gloss has a snake skin finish to it as well.

Although in the pictures you can see none of that. But I did try! I might make a video maybe that will help show the detail.

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

Im going to upload a pic of her in a few minutes to get some feedback. Keep in mind, this is the first coat (after a primer) so there may be some miss colors and smears and brush strokes visible and what not. I'm looking to get feedback on this to see if I'm on the right path. I also started doing a stealth elf, and two people on craigslist commissioned me to do 2 Skylanders for them as well!

This is more a proof of concept at this point. More to show you guys what I'm working on. Seeing as how I'm land locked and cab't hunt down the new guys smilie.

This is one coat of paint over primer. The base is taped to preserve the original base.

Left to do: Second coat, Shading and Highlighting, Touch up (messy lines etc.), paint the metal bracelet and neck piece, sealer.

Let me know what you guys think. If you guyd like it I'll paint more guys.

Actually I have an idea how I want my next Cynder to look already. I might sell this guy on Ebay or Craigslist. Better yet see if I can trade him for the new guys! smilie

Looking closely at the ingame models I want to do a series of figures that closely resemble them. For instance take a look at an ingame sceenshot of Cynder from Skylanders and then look at the toy. The toy is detailed sure but the game has a lot of little details color wise, that the figure does not. I want to go through and touch up my second set of characters with more detail.

I also want to do more complete repaints like how I did with Cynder.

Primed
[User Posted Image]

1st Coat
[User Posted Image]

1st Coat
[User Posted Image]

1st Coat
[User Posted Image]

1st Coat
[User Posted Image]

1st Coat
[User Posted Image]

Scale detail test
[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

Sorry this one is a bit blurry
[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 18:48:18 13/04/2012 by StormbringerGT
Mr-McChicken22 Blue Sparx Gems: 629
#2 Posted: 18:54:36 07/04/2012
Cool!
Cant wait to see It!!
voodude Blue Sparx Gems: 715
#3 Posted: 19:02:25 07/04/2012
i think you should add a "custom" to the title.
i'm intrigued by stealth elf
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilieITALIAsmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#4 Posted: 19:39:32 07/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Shrunk down the pictures a lot. Forgot I took them with like a 14 megapixel camera and how huge they would be!
---
I'm currently: Awaiting Dragon's Dogma and listening to Old Linkin park. Bite me, their old stuff is better than their new stuff. smilie
OpalOsprey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1127
#5 Posted: 19:43:44 07/04/2012
Did you paint all of this by hand or did you use an airbrush or spray can?
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

"You don't need a reason to help people" ~ Zidane -Final Fantays IX
Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#6 Posted: 19:43:57 07/04/2012
That is some good painting on Cynder StormbringerGT! I made A blue and gold (Legenary) Cynder repaint, and a silver one that looks like the first picture you uploaded, if you would like to see them I have them on my Deviantart, KarianaKreations.Deviantart.com
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
#7 Posted: 19:44:40 07/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Its all hand painted, for better or worse lol. No sharpies, either.

Although the primer coat was with a spray can.
---
#8 Posted: 19:45:43 07/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Kariana
That is some good painting on Cynder StormbringerGT! I made A blue and gold (Legenary) Cynder repaint, and a silver one that looks like the first picture you uploaded, if you would like to see them I have them on my Deviantart, KarianaKreations.Deviantart.com

Going to peek now!

Feel free to link them here as well, I'm of the mind, the more art the better. This isn't "my" thread! smilie
---
Deandria Green Sparx Gems: 304
#9 Posted: 19:48:40 07/04/2012
I love the detail on the eyes and it's a nice colour scheme but I'm not sure the matte paint finish suits it too well... I mean a lot of customs are too shiny and that can be bad but I think yours doesn't seem quite right yet.

Seeing as you've labled this as a first coat I look forward to seeing the finished project. It is really nice though.
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Really Want: smilie smilie
#10 Posted: 19:51:01 07/04/2012
Quote: StormbringerGT

^ Wow, you did a very nice job. When I hand paint anything, It's always clumpy and has paint steaks. I'm thinking it's because I didn't use good quality paints, maybe Testers is a good company? What brand are your paints?
---
Have a Wii U? My ID and Mii name is OpalOsprey. So why don't you add Mii smilie?

Kariana Emerald Sparx Gems: 3057
#11 Posted: 19:52:56 07/04/2012
So how do you like my custom Skylanders StormbringerGT? smilie
---
KrazyKari.deviantart.com
#12 Posted: 19:53:53 07/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Deandria
I love the detail on the eyes and it's a nice colour scheme but I'm not sure the matte paint finish suits it too well... I mean a lot of customs are too shiny and that can be bad but I think yours doesn't seem quite right yet.

Seeing as you've labled this as a first coat I look forward to seeing the finished project. It is really nice though.

Thanks! The eyes need some fine tuning and you can't see it but I have 3 shades of blue in there to give depth and make them pop and come to life. The original Cynder's eyes were flat and lifeless.

Also yes the first coat has to be matte or later coats won't stick to it. However the finish is a very light gloss so it will be about as shiny as the original toy. Although I'm trying to decide on the right level. I have a lot of different sealers.

I noticed a lot of shiny repaints and I think its due to either them using testers paint (shines right out of the bottle) or markers.
---
t7gga Yellow Sparx Gems: 1726
#13 Posted: 19:55:54 07/04/2012
nice work so far. i'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece
#14 Posted: 19:56:39 07/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: OpalOsprey

^ Wow, you did a very nice job. When I hand paint anything, It's always clumpy and has paint steaks. I'm thinking it's because I didn't use good quality paints, maybe Testers is a good company? What brand are your paints?

Thanks! Its still rough, but I figured I'd get some feedback!

I'm using a mix of paints. I have a couple hundred bottles lol. Half of it is paint from Citadel which are used to paint Warhammer minis mostly. The other half are good old fashioned Acrylic paints from Michaels, Joanne Fabrics, Hobby Lobby etc.

Quote: Kariana
So how do you like my custom Skylanders StormbringerGT? smilie

Awesome, are they sprayed painted? Also I love how you covered the eyes to protect the original paint job! smilie

EDIT

Just read your post in the other thread. If you find a good metallic spray paint, you can make your live 100 times easier, especially for your all gold or silver paint jobs. If you want to make the look exactly like the store versions, then just spray away (although you may want to protect the translucent green base). However if you want to preserve the original eye paint, then maybe doing a brush might be easier than messing with tap for the eyes.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:03:08 07/04/2012 by StormbringerGT
ToxicFate Yellow Sparx Gems: 1137
#15 Posted: 20:06:33 07/04/2012
Wow that custom Cynder looks awesome. I really like the blue and orange paint scheme you chose for it.
#16 Posted: 20:08:13 07/04/2012

Thanks! The eyes need some fine tuning and you can't see it but I have 3 shades of blue in there to give depth and make them pop and come to life. The original Cynder's eyes were flat and lifeless.

Also yes the first coat has to be matte or later coats won't stick to it. However the finish is a very light gloss so it will be about as shiny as the original toy. Although I'm trying to decide on the right level. I have a lot of different sealers.

I noticed a lot of shiny repaints and I think its due to either them using testers paint (shines right out of the bottle) or markers.

I've seen some people go on and on about the quality and detail on the figures but I've found most of them don't hold up to their in-game counterparts. Cynder is one of my favourite figures but she does need a little something...

I don't know a lot about model painting but my husband has done quite a few Warhammer so I'm aware of what can be done but not really how it's done. I hope I can convey what I mean but I don't know the proper techincal terms here...

Are you planning on giving her skin more detail? Like with a thin paint wash (like on Dino-Rang/Bash) or a dry brush? I think that's another place out-of-the-box Cynder falls down...

I'm glad to hear she will be a little shinier when finished, she is reptilian afterall.

Even unfinished I have to say yours is one of the best customs I've seen, they're usually too glossy or the paint is too thick and makes the figure loose detail... or the paint/sharpie is patchy so kudos to you smilie
---
Own: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:10:53 07/04/2012 by Deandria
SkyDaddy Blue Sparx Gems: 692
#17 Posted: 20:12:50 07/04/2012
That looks really good. Care to share what paint did you use?

BTW Can I post this in my blog?
---
-- PortalMasters.net -- Check out my site and get a chance to win Lightning Rod , Ignitor and other single character packs!
#18 Posted: 20:14:40 07/04/2012
^-------- Quote: StormBringerGT
I'm using a mix of paints. I have a couple hundred bottles lol. Half of it is paint from Citadel which are used to paint Warhammer minis mostly. The other half are good old fashioned Acrylic paints from Michaels, Joanne Fabrics, Hobby Lobby etc.
---

#19 Posted: 20:16:01 07/04/2012 | Topic Creator

I've seen some people go on and on about the quality and detail on the figures but I've found most of them don't hold up to their in-game counterparts. Cynder is one of my favourite figures but she does need a little something...

I don't know a lot about model painting but my husband has done quite a few Warhammer so I'm aware of what can be done but not really how it's done. I hope I can convey what I mean but I don't know the proper techincal terms here...

Are you planning on giving her skin more detail? Like with a thin paint wash (like on Dino-Rang/Bash) or a dry brush? I think that's another place out-of-the-box Cynder falls down...

I'm glad to hear she will be a little shinier when finished, she is reptilian afterall.

Even unfinished I have to say yours is one of the best customs I've seen, they're usually too glossy or the paint is too thick and makes the figure loose detail... or the paint/sharpie is patch so kudos to you smilie

Sounds like you know enough of the terms lol.

Yeah after a second coating and detailing, shes getting a wash (exactly like Din-Rang They need to do this for more skylanders!!!) that will fill in the details in between scales and give her some depth. Then the edges of her scales and wings will be dry brushed. This will make them pop out and really give her depth as well as almost 6 different shades of blue used for her scales alone. Her eyes will get a high gloss lacquer finish that will make them shiny and reflective. The sealer I'm using will give her coat a dull shine, similar to how a snakes skin looks.

It apparent your husband does hobby painting if you know about staining (or washing) and dry brushing!

The benefit of Acrylics is that they are a thinner, paint, so even after two coats I don't fill in the details with paint! smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:19:45 07/04/2012 by StormbringerGT
#20 Posted: 20:17:35 07/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: SkyDaddy

Have at it! Maybe I can paint up one as an exclusive prize for your site in the future.
---
#21 Posted: 20:31:44 07/04/2012
Sounds like you know enough of the terms lol.

Yeah after a second coating and detailing, shes getting a wash (exactly like Din-Rang They need to do this for more skylanders!!!) that will fill in the details in between scales and give her some depth. Then the edges of her scales and wings will be dry brushed. This will make them pop out and really give her depth as well as almost 6 different shades of blue used for her scales alone. Her eyes will get a high gloss lacquer finish that will make them shiny and reflective. The sealer I'm using will give her coat a dull shine, similar to how a snakes skin looks.

It apparent your husband does hobby painting if you know about staining (or washing) and dry brushing!

The benefit of Acrylics is that they are a thinner, paint, so even after two coats I don't fill in the details with paint! smilie

Yes, yes, yes many times yes. I mean I understand that they're mass produced and they can barely keep up with demand but if they had a bit more detail like that I would be less likely to resent the cost. I never had much of an interest in Dino-Rang as a character and only got him because he was in the triple pack but I love the extra detail on his figure... strangely Zap, the main reason I got that triple pack is seriously poor quality and I find I think of his figure as one of the worst, I love him in-game but his figure is awful.

Have at it! Maybe I can paint up one as an exclusive prize for your site in the future.

Oh I hope you do, as the proud winner of a PortalMasters.net contest I would love to have a chance to make another win for a stunning custom smilie
---
#22 Posted: 20:54:51 07/04/2012

Cool Thanks! That would be a great idea. Winning a well done custom figure is well worth it. My second contest is set for the last week of April with detail by the end of next week.

This is the second time I've heard about using the warhammer paints. I have not done any customization but Cynder would be my first choice.
---
-- PortalMasters.net -- Check out my site and get a chance to win Lightning Rod , Ignitor and other single character packs!
#23 Posted: 21:00:28 07/04/2012 | Topic Creator

Cool Thanks! That would be a great idea. Winning a well done custom figure is well worth it. My second contest is set for the last week of April with detail by the end of next week.

This is the second time I've heard about using the warhammer paints. I have not done any customization but Cynder would be my first choice.

Citadel paints are water based Acrylic paints. So they are "almost" the same as what you see at the hobby stores. Citadel paints tend to not be as runny, and they offer a better selection of colors but are pretty expensive for the amount of paint you get.
---
#24 Posted: 21:01:49 07/04/2012
I wouldn't dare do a custom myself, I'm not good at arty things... I can see in my mind how I want things to be but I can't make the image and reality match.

Though really I'd use Warhammer paints myself... it's what they're made for... high detailed work on plastic/metal... I don't know what kind of plastic Skylanders are made from (I tried to find out but couldn't find any information) and it's clearly not the same as Warhammer figures but in theory it should be one of the best options.

If I had a little more faith in my husband's abilities with a paintbrush I'd get him to do one for me but he's totally out of practice on this... the last set of Dark Elves I bought him haven't even made it out of the sprue yet.
---
#25 Posted: 21:06:09 07/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I wouldn't dare do a custom myself, I'm not good at arty things... I can see in my mind how I want things to be but I can't make the image and reality match.

Though really I'd use Warhammer paints myself... it's what they're made for... high detailed work on plastic/metal... I don't know what kind of plastic Skylanders are made from (I tried to find out but couldn't find any information) and it's clearly not the same as Warhammer figures but in theory it should be one of the best options.

If I had a little more faith in my husband's abilities with a paintbrush I'd get him to do one for me but he's totally out of practice on this... the last set of Dark Elves I bought him haven't even made it out of the sprue yet.

The Warhammer miniatures tend to take more time for me. They are smaller and have less surface area, but they are packed with details. A single brush mistake can be time consuming to fix as well.

Im finding out that staining or washing for Cynder is difficult. She has scales but they are not very deep and unless I think the pain to complete water they don't want to stick in between. I'm going to try something new I picked up see if that'll work.
---
#26 Posted: 21:15:15 07/04/2012

The Warhammer miniatures tend to take more time for me. They are smaller and have less surface area, but they are packed with details. A single brush mistake can be time consuming to fix as well.

Im finding out that staining or washing for Cynder is difficult. She has scales but they are not very deep and unless I think the pain to complete water they don't want to stick in between. I'm going to try something new I picked up see if that'll work.

I am familiar with that process and I think it is tricky unless the texture surface has deep enough areas to accumulate the stain treatment.
---
#27 Posted: 21:15:17 07/04/2012

That's a shame, her scales really could use a little detail and without washing/staining that could mean having to hand paint each scale and that would take forever because they're so small. I hope the "something new" works smilie
---
xerokills Yellow Sparx Gems: 1181
#28 Posted: 22:16:35 07/04/2012
I just finished my cynder...and what I thought about doing was the same thing. I tried the wash technique and it works on the wings, but not so great on the scales. And I debated painting each scale by hand, but then again, it was 6am when I decided to paint, and all my paintbrushes are trash...and I need the super fine point. I had to do mine with a crappy walmart brush as that's all that was open, but I made it work for me. Why is your coming out so matte finished? Are you planning to hit it with a semi gloss coat of spray lacquer at the end. Mine still has the same sheen as the actual figures. I didn't prime mine though either. Yours looks great. Love the eyes on it...can't wait to see the finished product.
---
"I'm disgusted, and repulsed, and...I can't look away..."
#29 Posted: 22:25:58 07/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: xerokills
I just finished my cynder...and what I thought about doing was the same thing. I tried the wash technique and it works on the wings, but not so great on the scales. And I debated painting each scale by hand, but then again, it was 6am when I decided to paint, and all my paintbrushes are trash...and I need the super fine point. I had to do mine with a crappy walmart brush as that's all that was open, but I made it work for me. Why is your coming out so matte finished? Are you planning to hit it with a semi gloss coat of spray lacquer at the end. Mine still has the same sheen as the actual figures. I didn't prime mine though either. Yours looks great. Love the eyes on it...can't wait to see the finished product.

Yeah I think I found a solution to the wash problem, we'll see when it dries lol.

Mines coming out matte looking because of the Primer. Otherwise sometimes, as I'm sure you've noticed, Acrylics don't like costing the stock paint so well. (that's because they have a finish on them to protect their paint as well). Also Acrylic paints by their nature are matte unless you by the glossy versions. As far as finish, yeah shes gonna have a glass shine close to how the toys are, but cloaser to snake scales which I think should come out very cool. Her eyes will also have a high gloss finish on them as well. When those pictures were taken, that was the first coat.

Thanks for complements. Mind posting or linking yours so I can take a look?
---
Alone0129 Green Sparx Gems: 121
#30 Posted: 23:51:13 07/04/2012
That's really good. I too paint Warhammer figures. I do it for the kids at my local Comic Book shop. Painting those figures is relaxing and it makes the kids there happy and the store owner gives me a discount there because I paint them for free.
#31 Posted: 02:26:32 08/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: Alone0129
That's really good. I too paint Warhammer figures. I do it for the kids at my local Comic Book shop. Painting those figures is relaxing and it makes the kids there happy and the store owner gives me a discount there because I paint them for free.

I know right! Painting is Super Relaxing!

Oh also if someone wants something painted, PM me and maybe we can work something out! smilie
---
#32 Posted: 03:46:40 08/04/2012
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/vi...ic=47387&page=2

There's the link...mine are the last ones posted...the venom looking Cynder. I may do another layer on her tomorrow. And I will totally agree to painting being a zen thing. I had a TV playing the background and forgot it was even there. I wish I had more doubles to just paint. I should guy buy up a bunch of starter pack singles and start working on em. I'm also starting to debate dabbling in things like warhammer. I have a pretty steady hand and love detail work. It was driving me nuts using cheap brushes for this one.
---
#33 Posted: 03:50:21 08/04/2012 | Topic Creator
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/vi...ic=47387&page=2

There's the link...mine are the last ones posted...the venom looking Cynder. I may do another layer on her tomorrow. And I will totally agree to painting being a zen thing. I had a TV playing the background and forgot it was even there. I wish I had more doubles to just paint. I should guy buy up a bunch of starter pack singles and start working on em. I'm also starting to debate dabbling in things like warhammer. I have a pretty steady hand and love detail work. It was driving me nuts using cheap brushes for this one.

If you like to paint, but don't really want to play Warhammer, people pay quite the pretty penny to have their armies custom painted.

The one thing I dislike about painting? How fast the time flies by!
---
#34 Posted: 03:57:16 08/04/2012
Storm...I have all the time in the world...especially on weekends...it's just me myself and I here for quite awhile...so it's the perfect hobby...I used to do oil paintings in college and still am a pretty decent sketcher...another plan is to do a full poster off all the skylanders in a comic book style similar to what you see online in the original inked sketches...just google it.
---
#35 Posted: 04:02:13 08/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Storm...I have all the time in the world...especially on weekends...it's just me myself and I here for quite awhile...so it's the perfect hobby...I used to do oil paintings in college and still am a pretty decent sketcher...another plan is to do a full poster off all the skylanders in a comic book style similar to what you see online in the original inked sketches...just google it.

Wish I had that sort of time. smilie I opted out of kids to save time and money. I have money, but now I have no time. smilie

That sounds very cool, keep me posted on how thats coming along.

I leave little post its around the house for my girlfriend with Skylanders (and pokemon) sketches and retarded little sayings on them. I think the one I made last week was Stump Smash throwing up his Giant Acorn except it was shaped as heart. Or something lame like that, lol.
---
#36 Posted: 04:03:29 08/04/2012 | Topic Creator

BTW I really like the look of that Dark Cynder. Mine had all white eyes for a while as well, but didn't really fit the theme of the color scheme I picked out. I think I may have played it a little safe, as she still looks very Cynder Like.
---
#37 Posted: 04:38:03 08/04/2012
Hey Storm and Xero, should I use acrylic or enamel paints? I have some Testers enamel paints, are these good to use for repainting Skylanders or should I get Acrylics? What's the difference anyway? Thanks =)!
---

#38 Posted: 04:52:24 08/04/2012
oh...don't use enamel. It apparently melts the plastic over time and releases a toxic chemical, but I don't know how true this actually is. I purchased an arcrylic set at I believe Michael's and it had all the basic colors and it was probably like 10 bucks...but they usually have coupons for 40 percent off 1 item if you google it and print it out. If you use acrylic, you can paint much easier with it and it works with water where enamel is pretty much one shot at it. I say play with acrylic first. You will also want to buy the finest pointed brush you can find to do the detail work. I'm sure storm has a lot of good advice on this subject, but that's my 2 pennies. I've honestly never used enamels other than spray cans...and those are pretty nasty on brushes and you need solvents to clean them such as denatured alcohol and mineral spirits. Good luck with it...and post pics!!!
---
#39 Posted: 04:53:33 08/04/2012 | Topic Creator
EDIT

Ninjaed by Zero but he hit it spot on! smilie

Well Acrylics are a little more user friendly and since they are water based they wash off easily. This includes your figure until you paint him! They also dry pretty fast.

Enamels are fine but I wouldn't use them for Skylanders. They are not water based and usually require paint thinner to remove. They are also Enamel. So they are thick and sticky while they dry. This is great for cars and vehicles and such that have a gloss paint finish. Models and such.

I would go for Acrylics for my first outing. I also can't stress enough how important it is to use a primer. If you use dark colors like Xero you can get away without one. But if you want to start paint light colors, some light acrylic paints are a little thinner to make the color and can take as many as 4 coats!

Hurry up already I can't wait to see what you do! Which one are you doing?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:54:29 08/04/2012 by StormbringerGT
palmo Green Sparx Gems: 380
#40 Posted: 05:08:26 08/04/2012
wow thats an epic paint job!!!

wish my paintin was as good as 'im but does the figure still work on the portal if you changed its stand?
---
Skylander contest here:
palmo's contest
#41 Posted: 05:18:07 08/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Quote: palmo
wow thats an epic paint job!!!

wish my paintin was as good as 'im but does the figure still work on the portal if you changed its stand?

Thanks for the kind words. My painting isn't even that great. Its just a side hobby. There are some people in my area who paint minatures and the stuff they can do blows my mind!

Thats the same stand. I protected it with tape until I was done painting.
---
#42 Posted: 05:19:33 08/04/2012
Yes, I agree...primer goes a long way...light weight primer that doesn't build up and spray it on light. I also suggest doing as he did and mask off the base as best you can including the bottom. I kept my paint pretty thin, if you get it on too dark a wet Q-tip will will wipe it right off before it dries. I'm sure we'll come up with more and more tips. Try to stay away from things like sharpies, but expensive micron pens work pretty well for fine line work.
---
#43 Posted: 05:26:28 08/04/2012
K thanks for the tip and stormbringer, your painting is better than mine and if you say yours is not that good well mine is worse. Don't believe me wait till I upload mine.
---
Skylander contest here:
palmo's contest
#44 Posted: 05:30:12 08/04/2012 | Topic Creator
Yes, I agree...primer goes a long way...light weight primer that doesn't build up and spray it on light. I also suggest doing as he did and mask off the base as best you can including the bottom. I kept my paint pretty thin, if you get it on too dark a wet Q-tip will will wipe it right off before it dries. I'm sure we'll come up with more and more tips. Try to stay away from things like sharpies, but expensive micron pens work pretty well for fine line work.

I haven't painted for about 2 years I had to do some serious shaking to all my paint bottles to mix them up lol. I really need to get my hands a fine tip micro pen. Using a brush for eyes is very time consuming.
---
#45 Posted: 06:07:36 08/04/2012
I wont be able to work on my repaint until next weekend. It won't be that great because I've never painted a figure before and I have nerve damage in my hands so they shake a lot.

To Palmo:

I'm sure that your figure is just fine =), at least it will be better than mine.
---

#46 Posted: 06:49:21 08/04/2012
Mine is a first attempt to.
---
Skylander contest here:
palmo's contest
#47 Posted: 11:28:07 08/04/2012
I wish painting was relaxing to me... My insanely perfectionist nature means that everything I do is not good enough and it stresses me out. Eventually I end up just giving up and feeling really bad about it... it's the same reason I haven't worked on my novel for like 4 years. I used to enjoy painting as a kid, I used to love painting bottles for my village's annual Duck Race (I don't know why we used bottles and not ducks but the customisation options meant it was easier to see who was winning).

The most art I do these days is the odd bit of pixel art because it's finite and easier to get "perfect".
---
#48 Posted: 18:41:17 08/04/2012 | Topic Creator
I wish painting was relaxing to me... My insanely perfectionist nature means that everything I do is not good enough and it stresses me out. Eventually I end up just giving up and feeling really bad about it... it's the same reason I haven't worked on my novel for like 4 years. I used to enjoy painting as a kid, I used to love painting bottles for my village's annual Duck Race (I don't know why we used bottles and not ducks but the customisation options meant it was easier to see who was winning).

The most art I do these days is the odd bit of pixel art because it's finite and easier to get "perfect".

Which is funny because I'm only like that for some things. Video Games, I'm a completionist. Lego collection. Lets not bring up how much money I spend on those a year...
---
#49 Posted: 19:05:36 08/04/2012
Which is funny because I'm only like that for some things. Video Games, I'm a completionist. Lego collection. Lets not bring up how much money I spend on those a year...

I managed to kick my Lego habit in my late teens/early twenties... I had a real soft spot for the Harry Potter Lego... and before that it was the pirate ones and the ones with knights and dragons that I can't remember the name of... I had the odd set from a number of different themes too.

This last Christmas I got Lego Harry Potter: Years 5 - 7 for PS3 and it came with a mini Lego set:

[User Posted Image]

And I was embarrassingly excited about it lol
---
spyroflame0487 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3866
#50 Posted: 19:09:38 08/04/2012
I just want to say that the colors look totally rad. I dunno if you just covered up the scull so you didn't get any paint on it, but it looks pretty nice just like a solid black rock.
---
Why did Uncle Peter have an interdimentional portal in his attic?
Spyro's entire collection! [Updated June 28th 15]
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me