Page 1 of 1
What do I do? [CLOSED]
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#1 Posted: 17:38:17 12/10/2011 | Topic Creator
I've constantly noted how I would probably be getting the 3DS version of Skylanders, but now I don't know if I should get that, or the console version of the game (in my case, the 360 version). I don't want to get the console version and end up with something like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (which I really didn't like). But I don't want to get the 3DS version, and get something like AHT, plus a completely different story in a smaller area with a villian that isn't voiced by Richard Horvitz, and a musical score that most likely isn't the same as the console version's.

I'm sitting here on Amazon, with enough money to preorder one of the versions. But I don't know which to get. So like all people with problems, I turn to the internet for the answer. Because you should totally trust everything strangers on the internet say, amirite?

So what should I get? The 3DS version, or the 360 version? I don't really intend to get both versions. I don't have that sort of money to spend. And unless they were to ever sell the game alone (without the portal or toys), I don't have any reason to shell over another $60-$70.

And no, I still don't have the guts to walk into Toysrus and Best Buy and try the damn game for myself. Besides, they most likely don't have the 3DS version available to try out, so I can't compare.
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13873
#2 Posted: 17:39:27 12/10/2011
Wait for the reviews?
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
#3 Posted: 17:41:20 12/10/2011 | Topic Creator
^Was thinking about that, but then decided I probably wouldn't want to wait until the reviews come out, and then wait a week for the game to ship. Amazon currently is giving me the option to pre-order it, and get it the very next day after release day (because post service obviously doesn't work on Sundays).

Unless a gaming site from the UK/rest of Europe reviews it before the North American release date, that isn't a plan I have in mind.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:42:02 12/10/2011 by CAV
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#4 Posted: 17:43:10 12/10/2011
Hm.... Aside from what Dark mentioned, all I can suggest is keeping a close eye on Youtube. I for one will be posting gameplay from the PS3 version this Friday, and perhaps someone else will upload footage from the 3DS version?
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
Spyro Magic Blue Sparx Gems: 851
#5 Posted: 19:33:57 12/10/2011
In my opinion, I think you should get the 360
---
I do it for the lawls bro.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#6 Posted: 20:13:21 12/10/2011
Videos and reviews are your best bet...
Spyro Magic Blue Sparx Gems: 851
#7 Posted: 20:18:53 12/10/2011
Yeah, I would say that, reviews are probab;y best bet, but i don't want to wait a while after the game comes out.
---
I do it for the lawls bro.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#8 Posted: 20:39:49 12/10/2011
If you don't want to wait for the reviews, I'd say just go ahead and get the console version. It's only $10 more, you'll be able to use your characters on the DS version if you decide to get that later, and it's already got at least two things you already know you like (Richard Horowitz' voice and Hans Zimmer's music). smilie
Forgotten World Platinum Sparx Gems: 5164
#9 Posted: 21:06:13 12/10/2011
Besides, I know that Gamespot will put a negative mark on the console version of the game for being too easy.
---
Life's a struggle, but when you die, it's how you handle life.
#10 Posted: 21:14:09 12/10/2011 | Topic Creator
^Who said the 3DS version wouldn't be easy?
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#11 Posted: 21:15:31 12/10/2011
Quote: CAV
^Who said the 3DS version wouldn't be easy?

Yeah CAV, who said the 3DS version wouldn't be easy?
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Forgotten World Platinum Sparx Gems: 5164
#12 Posted: 21:26:44 12/10/2011
The platforming on the 3DS may be a little challenging to certain people. That's all I have to say.
---
Life's a struggle, but when you die, it's how you handle life.
Lord_of_Sheeps Gold Sparx Gems: 2352
#13 Posted: 21:33:45 12/10/2011
Consider all options then kick them to the side and start a boy band.
riverhippo Yellow Sparx Gems: 1049
#14 Posted: 02:08:42 13/10/2011
I would like to point out that the three characters that come with the game are different. Everyone knows this, but it's important to note the difference. The console version comes with Spyro, Gill Grunt, and Trigger Happy. The 3DS version comes with Dark Spyro, Stealth Elf, and Ignitor. Stealth Elf is an exception character, IMO, based on her in game previews and her attributes. But you can buy her individually if you don't get the 3DS starter pack. If you don't buy the Console version, though, Gill Grunt and Trigger Happy are not available for single purchase--not yet anyway. In the same way, Dark Spyro and Ignitor are special to the 3DS starter pack and are not sold individually either. It remains to be seen how they will sell these characters in the future, and how easy it will be to get a special character like Dark Spyro by themselves via eBay and whatnot. If you can live without Ignitor, I'd get the console version.
#15 Posted: 02:17:28 13/10/2011 | Topic Creator
^First off, welcome back, old friend. >:3

And frankly, I'm not all that caring of the toys that come with it. Spyro and Dark Spyro are the same thing. Stealth Elf and Trigger Happy are "meh" from what I've seen. The only thing that would make a difference is that I'd prefer Ignitor over Gil Grunt. At this point, it's the gameplay that matters to me. Both games remind me of good games, but at the same time remind me how they could also be a lot like bad ones.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:17:44 13/10/2011 by CAV
#16 Posted: 02:26:28 13/10/2011
For me, I'm just making sure I have one character from each element.

As far as gameplay, I feel that the console and PC versions will have greater gameplay depth. But I'm impartial, since I've never had a good handheld experience in my life.
#17 Posted: 02:30:17 13/10/2011 | Topic Creator
I won't. I'm selective as to which toys I'm getting. That isn't many.

The console version could either be something good like some sort of overhead beat-em-up action/adventure thingy, or something bad like Spiral Knights or Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. The 3DS version could be something good like Classic Spyro, or something bad like AHT Spyro.
spyroblack Gold Sparx Gems: 2951
#18 Posted: 08:34:47 13/10/2011
I would suggest getting the console version, maybe you can enjoy the game more as in a bigger screen...?
---
MENTALLY.
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#19 Posted: 09:10:41 13/10/2011
Wait until it has become cheaper and buy the 3DS version or 360 version few months later o.o.
I do that too. I buy the Wii version and few month later the 3DS version. =)
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:11:09 13/10/2011 by XSparxX
#20 Posted: 10:16:48 13/10/2011
found this 3DS unboxing video and thought I'd share it.

At first, it looks like Sparx is seen hovering over Stealthy, but he doesn't move with the character. Maybe a NPC, but it could just as easily be another dragonfly or butterly or flying beetle... Seems we have more special items coming including a Empire Ice and Dragon-something toy. Also, I found it interesting how there is a link to the web world. And finally, the portal seems to have horrible reaction time to the 3DS compared to the console versions.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:21:00 13/10/2011 by riverhippo
#21 Posted: 17:19:17 13/10/2011 | Topic Creator
Quick note: I'm not trusting of any of the developers here. Let me explain:

The official developers of the 360, PS3, and PC versions is not Toys For Bob, but rather XPEC Entertainment, with TFB simply overlooking the project. XPEC has made such forgettable gems such as Kung Fu Panda: The Game, and Shrek Forever After: The Game. I've played both, and didn't like either one.

As for Toys For Bob (whom is making the Wii version), they also have never made a game that I've enjoyed from them. The closest one was Disney's Skate Adventure (probably got the title wrong), which was simply a clone of Tony Hawk 4, which was made by Neversoft.

And lastly, Vicarious Visions is making the 3DS version. Unlike the two developers mentioned above, there actually exists games that they've made that I enjoyed, including Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, and the last 3 Guitar Hero games. Problem is, those last 3 Guitar Hero games were simple clones, based off of the first few games, which they had no part in.

Quote: XSparxX
Wait until it has become cheaper and buy the 3DS version or 360 version few months later o.o.

I imagine myself doing this. They've made the games too different for me not to do so. But the question is, which game?

I've already heard in a video about the console version lasting as long as 12-15 hours, which is actually a pretty good length. With other characters, the game would probably have enough replay value. But I've heard nothing about the game length of the 3DS version.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#22 Posted: 17:26:49 13/10/2011
Quote: CAV
Quick note: I'm not trusting of any of the developers here. Let me explain:

The official developers of the 360, PS3, and PC versions is not Toys For Bob, but rather XPEC Entertainment, with TFB simply overlooking the project. XPEC has made such forgettable gems such as Kung Fu Panda: The Game, and Shrek Forever After: The Game. I've played both, and didn't like either one.

As for Toys For Bob (whom is making the Wii version), they also have never made a game that I've enjoyed from them. The closest one was Disney's Skate Adventure (probably got the title wrong), which was simply a clone of Tony Hawk 4, which was made by Neversoft.

And lastly, Vicarious Visions is making the 3DS version. Unlike the two developers mentioned above, there actually exists games that they've made that I enjoyed, including Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, and the last 3 Guitar Hero games. Problem is, those last 3 Guitar Hero games were simple clones, based off of the first few games, which they had no part in.

Quote: XSparxX

I imagine myself doing this. They've made the games too different for me not to do so. But the question is, which game?

I've already heard in a video about the console version lasting as long as 12-15 hours, which is actually a pretty good length. With other characters, the game would probably have enough replay value. But I've heard nothing about the game length of the 3DS version.

Are you sure XPEC Entertainment isn't just porting the Wii version to other consoles?
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#23 Posted: 17:36:02 13/10/2011 | Topic Creator
Not entirely sure. I read this:

Quote:
A Taiwanese company known as XPEC Entertainment are developing the game for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows releases with development being overseen by Toys for Bob officials

But if they're just porting the Wii version, then I refer you to the paragraph about Toys For Bob.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me