Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5
Boomtime
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#51 Posted: 15:51:29 01/10/2011
Quote: Silvery
I honestly don't see what all the surprisedness and gasps are about. Skylanders is a young kids' game, and that's what the voice acting and what not reflect. I trust the vast majority of you are aged between 14-20+ and as such you'd largely prefer Elijah Wood's more grown up voice acting over childish, "cutesy"/"cool" voices.

It was Activision's decision to take the franchise to a (much) more kid-friendly direction with this game - saying how Spyro doesn't fit in a mature world as if it were an undisputed fact - and you are now reaping the benefits or paying the price, depending on your opinion.

Me being older I was for one hoping for a game that would continue where DotD picked off. There were a lot of things they could've expanded on with the story: Spyro and Cynder were never given airtime as a couple, they never met up with the guardians, Sparx or Hunter; it's as if we only got to save the world and then have the series end before getting to enjoy our win.

But yes, there might be more money to be made with kids rather than the dwindling, mature fanbase who played the first Spyro games in their childhood; but then again, why not just create a new character since the kids wouldn't be familiar with Spyro either way?

The old Spyro games were already kid-friendly but the atmosphere was changed too much throughout the years. A franchise is at it's best if it can appeal to fans young and old much like Mario had been for decades. I can understand modernizing a franchise but it have to retain it's old charm in order to maintain it's own identity but the Spyro series was handed to way so many different developers, they've forgot what exactly is the atmosphere of the Spyro universe. Music also plays an important role I'm going to a grudge against Hans Zimmer for that anymore (I did but that was just downright stupid) but that doesn't mean I miss hearing the kind of music Stewart Copeland makes.

I don't whether or not Spyro would belong to Activision forever. On one side, a lot of money can be pumped into a Spyro game and can be giving more press coverage, on the other, Bobby Kotcik.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3156
#52 Posted: 15:53:38 01/10/2011
Why does Hans Zimmer always remind me of Glimmer? smilie
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#53 Posted: 16:02:11 01/10/2011
^When I think Zimmer, I think simmer. I once said that by accident too.

Quote: Jackson117
Tastes are tastes but the VA signed on the project are very talented and recognizable

They have talent, I guess.

But what mostly makes it annoying is how loud and obnoxious they speak, as well as how often they speak.
RadSpyro Gold Sparx Gems: 2007
#54 Posted: 16:43:52 01/10/2011
I trust the vast majority of you are aged between 14-20+ and as such you'd largely prefer Elijah Wood's more grown up voice acting over childish, "cutesy"/"cool" voices.

Speak for yourself - No offense to Elijah as I loved his performances in LotR and Green Street, but he's my least favourite VA in the whole of the Spyro franchise in general. The only VA I really, really loved from LoS was Ignitus (Gary Oldman). And the other Guardians too, I guess.

I actually didn't mind the voices, really. Boomer made me lol.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#55 Posted: 17:45:52 01/10/2011
I honestly don't see what all the surprisedness and gasps are about. Skylanders is a young kids' game, and that's what the voice acting and what not reflect. I trust the vast majority of you are aged between 14-20+ and as such you'd largely prefer Elijah Wood's more grown up voice acting over childish, "cutesy"/"cool" voices.

It was Activision's decision to take the franchise to a (much) more kid-friendly direction with this game - saying how Spyro doesn't fit in a mature world as if it were an undisputed fact - and you are now reaping the benefits or paying the price, depending on your opinion.

Me being older I was for one hoping for a game that would continue where DotD picked off. There were a lot of things they could've expanded on with the story: Spyro and Cynder were never given airtime as a couple, they never met up with the guardians, Sparx or Hunter; it's as if we only got to save the world and then have the series end before getting to enjoy our win.

But yes, there might be more money to be made with kids rather than the dwindling, mature fanbase who played the first Spyro games in their childhood; but then again, why not just create a new character since the kids wouldn't be familiar with Spyro either way?

Actually, not everyone preferred Spyro's boring, depressed, annoying, emo voice in TLoS. Speak for yourself. Not everyone is a TLoS fan. And I don't see how the Classic voices are "cutesy/cool". It just seems like you're making excuses to help your WONDERFUL TLoS.

Not everyone loved TLoS, and not everyone loved Spyro x Cynder, you know? DotD had a fine, happy ending. How can they make another game? There needs to be a plot, gameplay, villains, must I go on? A game with that stupid Spyro x Cynder couple seems WAY too boring. Skylanders has a better bet at making more money.

And I thought I'd mention how lots of older Spyro fans here love the Classics more than TLoS.

I do get your last point, but did you hear they might make a new Spyro game after Skylanders if it sells well? A game all to Spyro? That's something people don't get. By hating the game, people are actually killing Spyro themselves.
Activision at least is TRYING to bring Spyro back, after (to some people, the letdown that is) DotD.
---
but i love it all smooth
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#56 Posted: 17:54:07 01/10/2011
Quote: LevanJess
Actually, not everyone preferred Spyro's boring, depressed, annoying, emo voice in TLoS. Speak for yourself. Not everyone is a TLoS fan. And I don't see how the Classic voices are "cutesy/cool". It just seems like you're making excuses to help your WONDERFUL TLoS.

Not everyone loved TLoS, and not everyone loved Spyro x Cynder, you know? DotD had a fine, happy ending. How can they make another game? There needs to be a plot, gameplay, villains, must I go on? A game with that stupid Spyro x Cynder couple seems WAY too boring. Skylanders has a better bet at making more money.

And I thought I'd mention how lots of older Spyro fans here love the Classics more than TLoS.

I do get your last point, but did you hear they might make a new Spyro game after Skylanders if it sells well? A game all to Spyro? That's something people don't get. By hating the game, people are actually killing Spyro themselves.
Activision at least is TRYING to bring Spyro back, after (to some people, the letdown that is) DotD.

And to think I was once a part of the LoS fanbase, who I now see that has some fans only wanting SpyroxCynder to continue, more of their ideas to added in for more fanservice in possibly future LoS games, or the dark maturity to go on, despite the trilogy having ended with a happy ending.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#57 Posted: 18:11:12 01/10/2011
^ Ah man, I understand that feel! I used to be a big fan of LoS. Now I think the games are okay at best with a horrible fanbase.
Not everyone in the fanbase is horrid, but I have to say, tons of TLoS fans say that they're "so mature!", but then they go baww to the Skylanders and Classic fans, always complain about no more SpyroxCynder, and everything you listed. :l
---
but i love it all smooth
#58 Posted: 18:14:03 01/10/2011
lol Picky picky... Good thing the new target audience isn't anything like that.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#59 Posted: 18:16:05 01/10/2011
Yess. <3 I hope they won't be like that.
And I hope this game gets good ratings.
---
but i love it all smooth
#60 Posted: 18:20:07 01/10/2011
And hopefully future Spyro games won't change their rating for mature audiences.
---
#61 Posted: 18:30:35 01/10/2011
Agreed. I don't think a real mature Spyro game would be good. :l
---
but i love it all smooth
#62 Posted: 18:38:56 01/10/2011
That's what most older Spyro fans want nowadays, wanting bloodshed and such. Spyro isn't suppose to be that kind of game to begin with.
---
#63 Posted: 18:47:59 01/10/2011
True! Spyro's more of a younger audience dragon instead of the 20 year old audience who loves blood and Call of Duty and whatnot.
Bawwing over how Spyro isn't all blood and gore just makes you look immature.
---
but i love it all smooth
#64 Posted: 18:59:21 01/10/2011
True! Spyro's more of a younger audience dragon instead of the 20 year old audience who loves blood and Call of Duty and whatnot.
Bawwing over how Spyro isn't all blood and gore just makes you look immature.

They should keep the franchise an E rated franchise, and keep ignoring the raging older 'adults' fans who think the publisher should listen to their every whim.
---
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#65 Posted: 19:04:16 01/10/2011
Yeah, but you must admit, games with blood and gore are Activision's strong suit. Every one of their immensely popular (By that I mean high selling) games happen to involve SOME blood.

And btw, it's not a matter of 'should'. What Activision will do is what Activision will do. They don't HAVE to appease the whims of those not wanting a more mature setting than they have to appease the whims of those wanting a more mature setting. The lack of whim-pleasing is, in fact, a double-edged sword, peaches.
#66 Posted: 19:24:33 01/10/2011
@Aura
Agreed. I'm happy Activision seems to be ignoring the fans rage and requests for a mature game.

@Prysom
Hey, good point there. Games with blood is something Activision seems to be good at. I personally don't think Spyro would look good in a blood filled game.

Good point, they'll do what they do. Although if they want more money, they should probably stay with the "kids" games. :P
---
but i love it all smooth
#67 Posted: 19:47:46 01/10/2011
@Aura
Agreed. I'm happy Activision seems to be ignoring the fans rage and requests for a mature game.

@Prysom
Hey, good point there. Games with blood is something Activision seems to be good at. I personally don't think Spyro would look good in a blood filled game.

Good point, they'll do what they do. Although if they want more money, they should probably stay with the "kids" games. smilie

But you do realize that Activision is not likely to sell the rights soon, and they aren't exactly working in the element they excel in? They WERE originally planning to make a more mature Spyro game.

Honestly, though, am I the only one who realizes that blood is about a balance that is to be moderated CAREFULLY, not the senseless gratuity that comes to mind when the word blood is put forth?
#68 Posted: 20:00:27 01/10/2011
I heard that they were originally going to make a mature Spyro game, but they changed it. Just because it's for kids doesn't automatically make it horrible.
And eh, they're not likely to sell the rights soon, but I don't really see a problem with that.

Blood in a game is fine, but when it's in a game that is more for "kids" as everyone says, especially when it's about a dragon, it'll just look horrible, in my honest opinion. Older Spyro fans bawwwing about it (I'm not saying you are) makes it worse.
So, no.
---
but i love it all smooth
#69 Posted: 20:53:03 01/10/2011
Again, think of blood as a balance. Even kids know wounds produce blood. I'm not talking of the "blood-fountains" of Mortal Kombat and such, more like a speck here and there. Minor aesthetic. I mean, come on, I played games like MK and Duke Nukem when I was 8, and those weren't bad. That's because back then, it was realistic.

I mean, if you cut someone with a blade, you won't have a massive spray of blood discharging a few gallons of blood. No, it'd be where blood just runs down. Any injury Spyro would likely be capable of inflicting would send a fine red mist (a small mist), or at the very most, a few red drops.

Bear in mind, you can have a good, fighting centered Spyro game without blood. Soulcalibur never had blood, and look ho successful it was! You can have melee and such without it involving excessive gratuitous violence. I mean, both AHT and LOS had combat. I liked neither, but I think the addition of combat could make for a more expansive attack system, and could make for interesting combat (especially if combined with breaths or even aerobatics/acrobatics) without being of massacral nature.

Again, the entire idea of the series being matured is completely a balance. One that must be monitored and preserved. Knowing Activision's extensive knowledge in that element, they could quite suitably and conceivably make a T or at the most M game, so long as they kept the balance.
soren Red Sparx Gems: 72
#70 Posted: 21:09:39 01/10/2011
wait a minute spyro's voice on boomtime sounds diffrent then the blow it up one, hmmmmmmmmmmm
---
smilie
#71 Posted: 21:12:04 01/10/2011
Quote: soren
wait a minute spyro's voice on boomtime sounds diffrent then the blow it up one, hmmmmmmmmmmm

It's been recently confirmed that Spyro's voice in the Blow it Up ad will be the official voice in the game.
---
#72 Posted: 21:25:40 01/10/2011
I trust the vast majority of you are aged between 14-20+ and as such you'd largely prefer Elijah Wood's more grown up voice acting over childish, "cutesy"/"cool" voices.

Nope.

As much as I like Elijah Wood, he lacked any emotion in his voice for the most part in LoS, and often sounded as if he was simply reading a script with no effort to get into character.

Quote: Aura24
lol You got on my nerves correcting my comment, I got on yours. An eye for an eye. smilie And what's with the name peaches? Should I start calling you a nickname as well?

Call him Pomegranate.
#73 Posted: 22:19:33 01/10/2011
Quote: Prysom
Again, think of blood as a balance. Even kids know wounds produce blood. I'm not talking of the "blood-fountains" of Mortal Kombat and such, more like a speck here and there. Minor aesthetic. I mean, come on, I played games like MK and Duke Nukem when I was 8, and those weren't bad. That's because back then, it was realistic.

I mean, if you cut someone with a blade, you won't have a massive spray of blood discharging a few gallons of blood. No, it'd be where blood just runs down. Any injury Spyro would likely be capable of inflicting would send a fine red mist (a small mist), or at the very most, a few red drops.

Bear in mind, you can have a good, fighting centered Spyro game without blood. Soulcalibur never had blood, and look ho successful it was! You can have melee and such without it involving excessive gratuitous violence. I mean, both AHT and LOS had combat. I liked neither, but I think the addition of combat could make for a more expansive attack system, and could make for interesting combat (especially if combined with breaths or even aerobatics/acrobatics) without being of massacral nature.

Again, the entire idea of the series being matured is completely a balance. One that must be monitored and preserved. Knowing Activision's extensive knowledge in that element, they could quite suitably and conceivably make a T or at the most M game, so long as they kept the balance.

I understand what you mean. Just a little bit of blood isn't that bad. I still don't think any kind of blood in a Spyro game is a good idea, though, and it's not because I'm 13, as I can handle bloodbaths. Spyro just wouldn't look very good in a game with blood, even if it's a little (in my opinion).

You're right, you can have a good fighting centered Spyro game without any blood. And I never heard of Soulcalibur.
True, TLoS and AHT had lots of combat (Especially TLoS) and no blood. They did an okay job with the combat (considering no blood), although they should've done a better job instead of pressing the O button the whole time.

I see your point. I guess a mature, balanced Spyro game could be good, since Activision is good at that.
---
but i love it all smooth
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#74 Posted: 09:15:44 02/10/2011
Sadly, most games released by Activision are bland, generic and boring and they would rehash the same formula every single year.

They wouldn't know proper violence and action if it hit them in the face if you compare the train wreck Black Ops to the excellent Mortal Kombat.

Don't do you worry, kids who will play Skylanders will become as bitter as the rest of us.

Spyro needs SoulCalibur's atmosphere!
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
ReshiramForever Platinum Sparx Gems: 5142
#75 Posted: 09:24:05 02/10/2011
I liked all the voices except Trigger Happy's. He sounded too... normal. I thought he was going to sound a bit dimmer and random.
---
self professed austGAYlian
#76 Posted: 12:18:02 02/10/2011

I understand what you mean. Just a little bit of blood isn't that bad. I still don't think any kind of blood in a Spyro game is a good idea, though, and it's not because I'm 13, as I can handle bloodbaths. Spyro just wouldn't look very good in a game with blood, even if it's a little (in my opinion).

You're right, you can have a good fighting centered Spyro game without any blood. And I never heard of Soulcalibur.
True, TLoS and AHT had lots of combat (Especially TLoS) and no blood. They did an okay job with the combat (considering no blood), although they should've done a better job instead of pressing the O button the whole time.

I see your point. I guess a mature, balanced Spyro game could be good, since Activision is good at that.

Activision used to have their name on almost every good game that came out. They could do fine.

As for Soulcalibur, Soulcalibur was a massive hit on Dreamcast, being the first game to get a perfect ten across the board from IGN. It has had four games since, all better than the last (Well, IV was not as good as III). It has NEVER had blood, and it was insanely popular. Think about games like Kingdom hearts as well. That was a fairly kid-centered shpiel, and those games were very combat centric.

You CAN make combat centered kids games. It's a balance. When you are 18, trust me, this stuff clicks into place.
matesds Emerald Sparx Gems: 3504
#77 Posted: 13:04:06 02/10/2011
Prysom, it is preferable to use Edit link under the post, and Multi Quote feature, to double-posting, unless one is capable of giving some objective reason to do so. And since thou're not Razz....
---
Keep smile
#78 Posted: 13:09:30 02/10/2011
Um, I did not double post.
#79 Posted: 15:44:23 02/10/2011
Quote: StevemacQ
Sadly, most games released by Activision are bland, generic and boring and they would rehash the same formula every single year.

Ever played Singularity?

Quote:
They wouldn't know proper violence and action if it hit them in the face if you compare the train wreck Black Ops to the excellent Mortal Kombat.

Ever played Prototype? That had blood and gore. Not every Activision game is a CoD or Guitar Hero game.

Quote:
Don't do you worry, kids who will play Skylanders will become as bitter as the rest of us.

Actually, I WOULD worry if kids that play a harmless game would become bitter, especially when you make that judgement before ever having played it.

Quote:

You mean a semi-dark atmosphere with "meh"-ish characters and women with large chests?

Didn't they already do that with DotD?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:46:00 02/10/2011 by CAV
#80 Posted: 16:45:03 02/10/2011
^ Agreed.

Activision used to have their name on almost every good game that came out. They could do fine.

As for Soulcalibur, Soulcalibur was a massive hit on Dreamcast, being the first game to get a perfect ten across the board from IGN. It has had four games since, all better than the last (Well, IV was not as good as III). It has NEVER had blood, and it was insanely popular. Think about games like Kingdom hearts as well. That was a fairly kid-centered shpiel, and those games were very combat centric.

You CAN make combat centered kids games. It's a balance. When you are 18, trust me, this stuff clicks into place.

Really? I never paid much attention to the companies that made the games I like.

Ah, I understand. I'm surprised I never heard of it until now. Although it must be pretty good to get a 10 from IGN, especially with no blood.
And Kingdom Hearts, huh, I never thought of that. I never really liked KH much, but you're right, there is a lot of fighting there. Plus it's extremely popular as well.

I know you can, I've seen some (AHT and TLoS could be examples). There's some others I've seen, too.
---
but i love it all smooth
#81 Posted: 17:29:49 02/10/2011
Quote: CAV
Quote: StevemacQ

Ever played Singularity?

Quote:

Ever played Prototype? That had blood and gore. Not every Activision game is a CoD or Guitar Hero game.

Quote:

Actually, I WOULD worry if kids that play a harmless game would become bitter, especially when you make that judgement before ever having played it.

Quote:

You mean a semi-dark atmosphere with "meh"-ish characters and women with large chests?

Didn't they already do that with DotD?

Soulcalibur's characters had quite a lot of depth, much more than is necessary for a fighting game. As well, the combat system was well implemented. The idea of using weapons in a game like that was also fairly unique. And dude, the game was Japanese, it is in no way surprising large-chested women were in there.

Also, Soulcalibur had a half decent plot setup. Despite there being so many characters, they all connected at some point. Dotd had a bland, overused, cliche, poorly-executed plot.

And who ever said a darker atmosphere is bad? Like combat based games or even the delicate-to-balance concept of blood, dark atmosphere is all about balance. I'm not saying to make the sky red and put charred corpses everywhere, I'm talking about color theory. You know, like... deeper tones, specific bold colors, but with careful placement, not overuse. Done ever so carefully, it could work. Dotd ABUSED these concepts to the point of a drab, depressing, unplayable game.

And if you REALLY want to discuss large chested women, look at the joke of a series, Dead or Alive. I mean, that's not exaggerated, that's just stupid. And the chests bounce like every step means their boobs dropped onto a trampoline from ten feet up. THAT is a pathetic overuse of that.

EVERY single thing that is mature in game is about a proper, fine balance. One that must be CAREFULLY preserved. Not so recklessly abused and mutilated as many games do. For sexuality, Dead or Alive. For blood, Mortal Kombat. For violence, GTA. For overall gratuity, Manhunt 2. Each of those games didn't care for balance, and shot for a crazy extreme. If a mature Spyro game was to be made, it should be thoughtfully and carefully balanced and constructed.

Deeper tones where appropriate, but not too much. For blood, fine red mists (small mists) and a few droplets here and there, but not some gratuitous blood-fountain or blood-hose, or impossible bloodshed and HD shots of injuries. For violence, some cuts and maybe some bruises (Come on, even kids know about those...), but not dismemberment and decapitation, or massive gaping shotgun-style wounds. Sexuality is hard, leave out the jiggling, allude to things (Stuff above kid's heads, it is easy), imply stuff, and eh, making out is something that's weirdly enough been in a lot of kids' games.

As I said, EVERYTHING is a gentle balance.
Silvery Green Sparx Gems: 353
#82 Posted: 23:05:13 02/10/2011
Okay, let me address the pits of misunderstanding so many of you seemed to head-first jump into.

1. When I said childish/cutesy voices, I meant Spyro's grunts and growls in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, NOT classic Spyro. I am NOT a classic hater; those were the first Spyro games I played after all, and I wouldn't be here appreciating LoS if it weren't for them.

2. When I say I would prefer a mature Spyro game, that doesn't mean a game that contains blood, gore and/or sex. With mature I don't mean "M-rated", but the same level of maturity LoS had; the story, atmosphere and feelings. LoS had absolutely no blood/gore as far as I can remember.

3. Turning the Spyro x Cynder issue against me by saying I desperately wish for it to continue isn't quite fair... The series of games had Spyro - with great effort - rescue Cynder several times and in several ways, and them slowly bonding and only admitting love towards the end of the last game. In the very end you see them fly together and that's it. I could ask: "What is it that can continue if it hasn't properly even started?" But that isn't my point, it is that would not the better question here be: "Why do you so desperately want Spyro and Cynder to break up?"

And finally on the subject of Elijah Wood's voice acting, you should remember that your opinions are still just opinions; you might think his voice acting sucked but you can't just expect your opinion to be the undisputed truth. Even after watching the cutscenes through many, many times by now, I, for one, am still of the opinion that Wood's acting is one of the most convincing I've ever experienced in any game. There were lines that literally sent shivers down my spine. Oldman's voice acting - especially in ANB - was nothing short of outstanding (again, IMO) either. So yeah, opinions, opinions. smilie

It might be popular to bash "LoStards" now, but you should be careful since not every LoS lover will be possessed by the one same hive mind you believe to be fighting against. Yes, I liked TLoS, and as such I guess that makes me a "SpyxCyn" supporter by your definitions. However, no, I don't hate classic Spyro, I think it was great, at least the first 3 games were. No, I don't hate classic fans. Yes, I appreciate the innovative idea behind Skylanders (combining toys and games). No, I don't have anything against the toy projection of Spyro co-starring the new game. However, I dearly hope that the action figure take of Spyro isn't his new, permanent self, but rather only what it is; a projection, a sidestep. However, (I've probably stated this many times by now,) the scrapping of the Spyro movie is a clear indication that they are going to do just that. smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:28:41 02/10/2011 by Silvery
#83 Posted: 23:41:50 02/10/2011
"Why do you so desperately want Spyro and Cynder to break up?"

Because it's an epitomization of the stereotypical heteronormative carnal relationship, and it is a shameless attempt at objectifying females of any species to pursue depthlessness, superficiality, and carnal desire whilst simulataneously bolstering males of any species to pursue a submissive, feral, horny etiquette in general encounters with the fairer sex, therefore making the entire idea of a satisfied and non-judgmental view of romantic as an object of pristine preservation subject to floccinaunihilipilification, all for the brazenly avaracious pursuit of monetary success in an objectified, warped, askew world of corporate monopolies and arbitrary assignment of values according to an analogue spectrum according to a very shallow and unfair set of worthless variables?
Skorpion216 Ripto Gems: 340
#84 Posted: 00:06:33 03/10/2011

Because it's an epitomization of the stereotypical heteronormative carnal relationship, and it is a shameless attempt at objectifying females of any species to pursue depthlessness, superficiality, and carnal desire whilst simulataneously bolstering males of any species to pursue a submissive, feral, horny etiquette in general encounters with the fairer sex, therefore making the entire idea of a satisfied and non-judgmental view of romantic as an object of pristine preservation subject to floccinaunihilipilification, all for the brazenly avaracious pursuit of monetary success in an objectified, warped, askew world of corporate monopolies and arbitrary assignment of values according to an analogue spectrum according to a very shallow and unfair set of worthless variables?

I actually understood that, so, I shall reply.

I respectfully disagree, as I dislike SxC for the reason that it is too typical and cliched.
#85 Posted: 00:09:00 03/10/2011
THAT'S WHAT I MEANT, GENIUS!

That's my excessively long winded way of saying, "It's been done ten thousand times, no one cares.".
Skorpion216 Ripto Gems: 340
#86 Posted: 00:12:26 03/10/2011
THAT'S WHAT I MEANT, GENIUS!

That's my excessively long winded way of saying, "It's been done ten thousand times, no one cares.".

But we disagree on the exact details.
#87 Posted: 00:14:13 03/10/2011
Yeah, but that cause I hate whore characters.
#88 Posted: 01:51:48 03/10/2011
1. Spyro doesn't just grunt and growl; he has a voice. The topic itself said this.

2. Ah, that's right, and TLoS wasn't mature.

3. Break up? Last time I recalled, Spyro x Cynder isn't canon. Spyro never said "I love you" back to Cynder.
And not everyone loves Spyro x Cynder. I, personally, despise it and most of the fanbase. Besides, a good video games needs what I listed before; gameplay, story, villains, etc. Not just that dragon couple everyone loves so damn much.

4. And just who said their opinion was fact?
I, personally, hated his voice. He lacked any emotion, and was FAR too boring and depressed and like a tool.

5. Last I recalled, no one bashed anyone. And I don't see how it's popular, as TLoS itself is overrated (Like SxC and Cynder).
Uh, you're obviously a SxC supporter because you stated so yourself. Not because you like TLoS.
Not everyone wanted that movie. The movie was already getting lots of hate, and I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a game instead of a movie I was most likely going to find crap anyways. All you need to do is combine the cut scenes, and boom, you got a movie anyway.
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:16:30 03/10/2011 by LevanJess
#89 Posted: 02:14:35 03/10/2011
Soulcalibur's characters had quite a lot of depth, much more than is necessary for a fighting game. As well, the combat system was well implemented. The idea of using weapons in a game like that was also fairly unique. And dude, the game was Japanese, it is in no way surprising large-chested women were in there.

Also, Soulcalibur had a half decent plot setup. Despite there being so many characters, they all connected at some point. Dotd had a bland, overused, cliche, poorly-executed plot.

And who ever said a darker atmosphere is bad? Like combat based games or even the delicate-to-balance concept of blood, dark atmosphere is all about balance. I'm not saying to make the sky red and put charred corpses everywhere, I'm talking about color theory. You know, like... deeper tones, specific bold colors, but with careful placement, not overuse. Done ever so carefully, it could work. Dotd ABUSED these concepts to the point of a drab, depressing, unplayable game.

And if you REALLY want to discuss large chested women, look at the joke of a series, Dead or Alive. I mean, that's not exaggerated, that's just stupid. And the chests bounce like every step means their boobs dropped onto a trampoline from ten feet up. THAT is a pathetic overuse of that.

EVERY single thing that is mature in game is about a proper, fine balance. One that must be CAREFULLY preserved. Not so recklessly abused and mutilated as many games do. For sexuality, Dead or Alive. For blood, Mortal Kombat. For violence, GTA. For overall gratuity, Manhunt 2. Each of those games didn't care for balance, and shot for a crazy extreme. If a mature Spyro game was to be made, it should be thoughtfully and carefully balanced and constructed.

Deeper tones where appropriate, but not too much. For blood, fine red mists (small mists) and a few droplets here and there, but not some gratuitous blood-fountain or blood-hose, or impossible bloodshed and HD shots of injuries. For violence, some cuts and maybe some bruises (Come on, even kids know about those...), but not dismemberment and decapitation, or massive gaping shotgun-style wounds. Sexuality is hard, leave out the jiggling, allude to things (Stuff above kid's heads, it is easy), imply stuff, and eh, making out is something that's weirdly enough been in a lot of kids' games.

As I said, EVERYTHING is a gentle balance.

Implying that I hate Soul Calibur. smilie

I love the games. I have 2 and 4. Probably my favorite fighting games. I just said what I did as a form of bad humor, which is at the same time kinda true.

Okay, let me address the pits of misunderstanding so many of you seemed to head-first jump into.

1. When I said childish/cutesy voices, I meant Spyro's grunts and growls in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, NOT classic Spyro. I am NOT a classic hater; those were the first Spyro games I played after all, and I wouldn't be here appreciating LoS if it weren't for them.

2. When I say I would prefer a mature Spyro game, that doesn't mean a game that contains blood, gore and/or sex. With mature I don't mean "M-rated", but the same level of maturity LoS had; the story, atmosphere and feelings. LoS had absolutely no blood/gore as far as I can remember.

1. I still prefer grunts and growls over the lifeless performance Wood gave in LoS. Plus, I think you're appreciating and defending it a tad bit too much.

2. LoS wasn't mature. It was a cliched story, and at the end of the day it was still a kids game. Getting a few teens and adults into the games doesn't make it a mature game. And it proved to be a failing formula, seeing how the sales were mediocre. You praise the mature story of Spyro so much for bringing in the older crowds, even though the older Spyro games did a much better job at it.
#90 Posted: 09:17:56 03/10/2011

Excellent explanation to wrong subject. Prysom, thou made the first mistake, by trying to make non-exact human science like natural, exact science. Symbolism isn't exact science....

Even through the had used methods typical for Sigmund Freud, which, given it's fantasyland we're talking about, is über-fitting.

Yeah, but that cause I hate whore characters.

She only is, because thou made her this way (maybe supported by some lemons eh? smilie ).

Thou know, characters half-blown, like Cynder is, are great in the way, that those doesn't have much or even any characteristics, aside name, and design. It's even strengthened if the character originates from story.... Generic at best. Those characters are then like raw material one can shape to what would be fitting in his or her opinion, use symbolics, references, alike, and gags one could think of, if one wants, cynize something, preferably make the character non- marysue, make flaws, give depth, et cetera et cetera.

Example of output of the procedure when feeding it with Cynder.... *throws in* Say, let her be arrogant bookworm annoying with over-the-top wise quotes, dwarfing Obi-Wan in this, but she knows what she wants, and is willing to do anything, as much as she is sensible and redeem if it's all worth it. Boring overly dark past? Nope. References and gags in having more than few characters dangerously similar, referencing her design chances as much as those fan "OC's" (albeit originality in those are much more than often disputable at best) often outright stating the "OC" is her sister or brother long lost, and another that she is feeling stalked, referencing cyndorks. Also, link to another character who is SkyLanders Cynder, who is her dream or nightmare risen from grave of DreamLands, also referencing undead element.

See?
---
Keep smile
#91 Posted: 09:25:08 03/10/2011
Tl;dr, and cut it out the thou crap.
#92 Posted: 09:31:37 03/10/2011
Dare to say why? Using thour brain? OK, thou have four tries.
---
Keep smile
#93 Posted: 10:47:17 03/10/2011
Tl;dr

Absolutely hilarious, considering you make very large posts yourself, Mr. "I'm so much better than you because I'm not a virgin and you guys are".
---
but i love it all smooth
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:03:31 03/10/2011 by LevanJess
#94 Posted: 11:07:33 03/10/2011
Lol, I am a virgin, kid.
#95 Posted: 12:10:28 03/10/2011
Okay, so if LoS really sucked as much as so many of you seem to think, then explain why me and many others still keep insisting we liked it? It seems to me that many of you were fans of it when it first came out, but then grew to dislike it after some years. So the game's first appeal was decent at least, but not so much with the lasting one. Maybe I too will be of a different opinion a year after now.

But for now, I insist on liking the games and disliking the notion that the Spyro design seen in Skylanders seems to be the new, permanent direction. I'll also be a SxC supporter due to liking the story behind LoS (both characters' pasts are haunted by Malefor in one way or another, they bond with each other as the story progresses, they deserve a loving and supporting relationship after their hardships, etc.). Yes, it might be somewhat of a cliché, but then again the contrary cannot be said of too many couples, real or fictional. I think your standards are a bit on the high side. smilie

Edit: Of course a new game would also have new villains, a new story, etc. Aren't you restricting your imagination to a cliché-dominated environment now by thinking that a game with Spyro and Cynder as a couple could never have those ingredients? If you've read any of the Spyro fanfics at fanfiction.com, you'd find there are many who invented great stories that continued where DotD ended; with ingredients such as the evolution of S&C's relationship, new dangers, the rebuilding of Warfang, new characters, etc. I've personally read closer to 1 million words (2500 book pages?) of such fanfic within a month now, and I'm still not satisfied smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:26:17 03/10/2011 by Silvery
#96 Posted: 12:39:29 03/10/2011

And finally on the subject of Elijah Wood's voice acting, you should remember that your opinions are still just opinions; you might think his voice acting sucked but you can't just expect your opinion to be the undisputed truth. Even after watching the cutscenes through many, many times by now, I, for one, am still of the opinion that Wood's acting is one of the most convincing I've ever experienced in any game. There were lines that literally sent shivers down my spine. Oldman's voice acting - especially in ANB - was nothing short of outstanding (again, IMO) either. So yeah, opinions, opinions. smilie

This is where some of us may have got the wrong idea:
Quote:

The way that was worded was as though you were forcing your opinion a little there, by assuming we would prefer Elijah. Honestly though, I would still prefer grunts and the like over a VA which, in my opinion, was the worst of the series for reasons stated previously.

The trouble is, no one is bashing you - But hearing someone go on about how they'd like the Legend series to continue - Is getting boring. It's finished, just like the Classic series is. It's either Skylanders or nothing, basically.

And the thing I did have with LoS, is how 'mature' people thought it was. I honestly saw no more maturity than the Classic series due to the insane amount of plotholes and cliche storyline. Considering I enjoy other series, such as Kingdom Hearts which some may believe is cliche, I don't think I have high standards myself, yet I still refer to the story of LoS as 'cliche'. The fact that I actually did predict the ending of LoS by the end of ANB pretty much proves it for me.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
#97 Posted: 14:45:55 03/10/2011
Okay, so if LoS really sucked as much as so many of you seem to think, then explain why me and many others still keep insisting we liked it? It seems to me that many of you were fans of it when it first came out, but then grew to dislike it after some years. So the game's first appeal was decent at least, but not so much with the lasting one. Maybe I too will be of a different opinion a year after now.

But for now, I insist on liking the games and disliking the notion that the Spyro design seen in Skylanders seems to be the new, permanent direction. I'll also be a SxC supporter due to liking the story behind LoS (both characters' pasts are haunted by Malefor in one way or another, they bond with each other as the story progresses, they deserve a loving and supporting relationship after their hardships, etc.). Yes, it might be somewhat of a cliché, but then again the contrary cannot be said of too many couples, real or fictional. I think your standards are a bit on the high side. smilie

It's called an opinion. It's fine for you to have a different one. Nobody is saying that you shouldn't like it. Besides, I DO like LoS. But there are several flaws in it, and even as a guy that likes the games, I'm not afraid to admit them. You don't seem to see these flaws, and instead decide to defend LoS while also trashing a game that hasn't even come out. You seem to be dead-set on this game being mediocre, and even if the game turned out decent, you would shut that out of your mind, simply because it isn't as "mature" as LoS.

I doubt Skylanders Spyro would be a permanent direction.

I think your standards are a bit on the low side....
#98 Posted: 15:13:14 03/10/2011
Quote: RadSpyro

This is where some of us may have got the wrong idea:

The way that was worded was as though you were forcing your opinion a little there, by assuming we would prefer Elijah. Honestly though, I would still prefer grunts and the like over a VA which, in my opinion, was the worst of the series for reasons stated previously.

Fair enough, I may have outstepped my boundaries here by assuming such things, especially in a community that likes Spyro (a kids' game by heart) to begin with. I think the original Spyro was cute in a good, honest way, but the new game seems (to me) forced in that regard, no matter what angle I try to look at it from. And I am of the unfaltering opinion that Wood's voice acting was on a whole other level compared to most games I've seen.

The trouble is, no one is bashing you - But hearing someone go on about how they'd like the Legend series to continue - Is getting boring. It's finished, just like the Classic series is. It's either Skylanders or nothing, basically.

This is where I have to disagree - just because there have been 3 parts (a trilogy) of a story doesn't mean it's finished. It's not LotR, where the author has passed away and can't continue the series. The definition of a trilogy doesn't state that the story universe undergoes the Big Crunch after the end of the third part; it's just a three-part story situated in a universe that still remains and may be continued with more stories. So, nothing is dictating that it finished. smilie The vast amount of LoS fanfic created, plus even the obvious LoS references in Skylanders: Spyro's adventures are testimonies of that.

And the thing I did have with LoS, is how 'mature' people thought it was. I honestly saw no more maturity than the Classic series due to the insane amount of plotholes and cliche storyline. Considering I enjoy other series, such as Kingdom Hearts which some may believe is cliche, I don't think I have high standards myself, yet I still refer to the story of LoS as 'cliche'. The fact that I actually did predict the ending of LoS by the end of ANB pretty much proves it for me.

I understand your reasoning and see that the reasons you listed might ruin the experience for some, but they didn't do that for me; I didn't let them. Many of the "plotholes" weren't exactly bottomless pits and one could reason their way around them, and there were a lot of ingredients in there that lessened the clichédness, such as Cynder's situation to begin with. A female being the last boss of a game, and then the one you strive to save in the second, and finally one of the two main characters in the third is not quite the most typical setting in a game or a series of games from what I've experienced. smilie There are, of course, SOME similarities in other games, but still not close enough to have quite the same taste. There were some things I didn't like, such as Sparx' VAs, Ignitus' death, etc. but again, I had no difficulty pushing said details aside (ergo, I didn't really have to to force myself to like the story). smilie

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote: CAV
It's called an opinion. It's fine for you to have a different one. Nobody is saying that you shouldn't like it. Besides, I DO like LoS. But there are several flaws in it, and even as a guy that likes the games, I'm not afraid to admit them. You don't seem to see these flaws, and instead decide to defend LoS while also trashing a game that hasn't even come out. You seem to be dead-set on this game being mediocre, and even if the game turned out decent, you would shut that out of your mind, simply because it isn't as "mature" as LoS.

I doubt Skylanders Spyro would be a permanent direction.

I think your standards are a bit on the low side....

I'm not afraid to admit the flaws either, I just don't wallow on them any more than necessary, and am willing to nudge them aside (as long as no tedious forcing is required to do that) if they are bothering my experience with the game.

I never trashed Skylanders, in fact I applauded many of the innovations it contains. I just don't like how the entire Spyro franchise seems to have been dragged into its direction (evident from the movie being cancelled, yada yada, please don't make me repeat this anymore smilie), and I hope my suspicions on that matter will be proven wrong.

It's obvious the game is more kiddish than LoS; that doesn't mean it will suck though. It'll just be different; the kind of different that I personally don't prefer Spyro being permanently dragged into, and where I believe I disagree with many of the people here, while agreeing with many of the fanfic authors on deviantART / fanfiction.com.

Maybe my standards are low, but that doesn't change the fact that I've so far enjoyed LoS more than any other game series I've ever played, and which is why I am even spending time here reasoning why I liked it in the first place. smilie
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 15:27:34 03/10/2011 by Silvery
#99 Posted: 15:41:29 03/10/2011
^I can nudge them aside as well (that's what I did whilst playing for the first time), but I won't shy away from the problems when asked about them.

Dragged into a childish direction? The direction that it was in since the beginning, and was sidetracked only by LoS? You say you know and praise the original games, but you seem to loath them for the childish direction it had, which is the same direction Skylanders is attempting to pull.

If it'll just be different, then why go on a tangent, making us think that you believe it would suck? And again, this was the original direction the series had. LoS is the only few games of the series that didn't have this kiddie direction.

LoS good? Maybe. Best game series? I don't really think so. That would probably go to Mario, seeing how Galaxy 2 is the single best game I ever played.......IMO.
#100 Posted: 17:36:45 03/10/2011
Quote:
This is where I have to disagree - just because there have been 3 parts (a trilogy) of a story doesn't mean it's finished. It's not LotR, where the author has passed away and can't continue the series. The definition of a trilogy doesn't state that the story universe undergoes the Big Crunch after the end of the third part; it's just a three-part story situated in a universe that still remains and may be continued with more stories. So, nothing is dictating that it finished. smilie The vast amount of LoS fanfic created, plus even the obvious LoS references in Skylanders: Spyro's adventures are testimonies of that.

I understand your reasoning and see that the reasons you listed might ruin the experience for some, but they didn't do that for me; I didn't let them. Many of the "plotholes" weren't exactly bottomless pits and one could reason their way around them, and there were a lot of ingredients in there that lessened the clichédness, such as Cynder's situation to begin with. A female being the last boss of a game, and then the one you strive to save in the second, and finally one of the two main characters in the third is not quite the most typical setting in a game or a series of games from what I've experienced. smilie There are, of course, SOME similarities in other games, but still not close enough to have quite the same taste. There were some things I didn't like, such as Sparx' VAs, Ignitus' death, etc. but again, I had no difficulty pushing said details aside (ergo, I didn't really have to to force myself to like the story). smilie

When I said over and finished, I meant the videogames - By no means the whole series in general, sorry for my poor wording! The fans should, and have taken over where it left off, and to be honest, the way the fandom is right now, I believe it's for the best. Those of us who wish for the series to be left where it is can do so, whilst those like yourself who hunger for more can read fanfiction or look at fanart.

I do understand where you're coming from, even though it might not seem like I do smilie It's just that, for me, personally, Skylanders is taking Spyro down the right direction, though it may not seem like it just yet, nor will it seem like it to people who crave 'epic' storylines, so to speak. LoS did have potential, but I felt that there was so much more that could have been done. Part of it felt rushed, like EtD to a much lesser degree.
---
TUMBLR
DEVIANTART
Visit me and stuff.
First | Page 2 of 5 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me