Forum

Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Title diffrence between EU and American release [CLOSED]
rockinspyrofan Green Sparx Gems: 153
#1 Posted: 03:15:39 22/08/2011 | Topic Creator
Does anyone know why the title was changed to Gateway to Glimmer for the EU release, and which one do you prefer and why. Personally I Prefer Ripto's Rage because it's alot easier to remember and just sound cooler. smilie
---
Spyro should be a rocker
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:16:55 22/08/2011 by rockinspyrofan
Dragons-go-hrr Platinum Sparx Gems: 6991
#2 Posted: 06:49:36 22/08/2011
I don't know, but I don't think it's really that important, a lot of the Spyro games have different names depending on the region. I prefer Gateway to Glimmer, it just sounds happier, Ripto's Rage just sounds dark and angsty.
---
"Was it a hot ghost?"
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12760
#3 Posted: 09:37:33 22/08/2011
I think Sony Computer Entertainment Europe changed the name because Ripto's Rage sounds too dark and violent for a children's platformer. I could be wrong though.
PikaSpyro Green Sparx Gems: 250
#4 Posted: 11:29:27 22/08/2011
I have no idea why they changed the name for Spyro 2. As for which title I prefer, definitely Ripto's Rage. It makes more since to me than Gateway to Glimmer, imo.
---
Read my GB.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#5 Posted: 06:27:02 23/08/2011
I prefer 'Gateway to Glimmer' because to me it does make sense as Spyro goes through a portal thinking he's going to Dragon Shores but ta-da! He ends up at Glimmer, therefore it was a gateway to Glimmer. So I think it's clever enough, I do like the sound of Ripto's Rage aswell, I'm not too bothered really.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Zpyro Yellow Sparx Gems: 1364
#6 Posted: 13:43:30 23/08/2011
Gateway to Glimmer doesn't make much sense, because Glimmer is only the first level. Technically it's true that Spyro enters a "Gateway to Glimmer," but after 15 minutes of playing, Glimmer no longer has anything to do with the game whatsoever. A more accurate title would've been something like "Gateway to Avalar." Hence Ripto's Rage is the better title, because it actually makes sense and has a meaning for the entire game, not just the first level.
PikaSpyro Green Sparx Gems: 250
#7 Posted: 15:22:07 23/08/2011
Quote: Zpyro
Gateway to Glimmer doesn't make much sense, because Glimmer is only the first level. Technically it's true that Spyro enters a "Gateway to Glimmer," but after 15 minutes of playing, Glimmer no longer has anything to do with the game whatsoever. A more accurate title would've been something like "Gateway to Avalar." Hence Ripto's Rage is the better title, because it actually makes sense and has a meaning for the entire game, not just the first level.

^This.
---
Read my GB.
#8 Posted: 16:25:31 23/08/2011
Quote: Zpyro

I don't agree, I'm guessing that the gateway to Glimmer was supposed to be memorable, that's how I see it. It's strange aswell as the game starts off in a level, not a homeworld, when the majority of early Spyro games start in a home world.
---
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#9 Posted: 17:22:45 23/08/2011
I prefer Gateway to Glimmer, too. Ripto's Rage sounds a bit... Generic? Also, I think Sony Europe were going for the more 'mythical, magical 3D world' rather then 'BADASS dragon, BADASS Playstation'. I prefer to think of Spyro as the first option, not an in-your-face 90's cap wearing kid. Meh, whatever floats your PS1 boat I guess.
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
#10 Posted: 21:13:48 23/08/2011
Quote: TheWereCat
I prefer Gateway to Glimmer, too. Ripto's Rage sounds a bit... Generic? Also, I think Sony Europe were going for the more 'mythical, magical 3D world' rather then 'BADASS dragon, BADASS Playstation'. I prefer to think of Spyro as the first option, not an in-your-face 90's cap wearing kid. Meh, whatever floats your PS1 boat I guess.

But Spyro is badass, and the PS is badass smilie
---
Prysom Ripto Gems: 131
#11 Posted: 10:17:07 03/09/2011
Words of truth in that post... words of pure awesome truth.
#12 Posted: 13:45:04 03/09/2011
Quote: Prysom
Words of truth in that post... words of pure awesome truth.

Lol, imagine if Spyro is real, that would be fun. You sort of need a hero like that in this world, to make everything better.
---
#13 Posted: 14:10:32 03/09/2011
What better than a hellfire breathing little purple dragon?
Rhynoc Memories Ripto Gems: 12
#14 Posted: 17:09:43 03/09/2011
I prefer Gateway to Glimmer. It sound more.. Spyro-ish.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:10:10 03/09/2011 by Rhynoc Memories
#15 Posted: 18:09:34 03/09/2011
Gateway to Glimmer, Ripto's rage, Tondemo Tours...

COMPANY, WHY JOO SO INDECISIVE?!
#16 Posted: 08:50:19 04/09/2011
Quote: Prysom
What better than a hellfire breathing little purple dragon?

As long as he doesn't firebreathe all over me then I'm happy. smilie
---
#17 Posted: 19:11:22 04/09/2011
A leash, some fish, and a collar... He'd be tamed in no time smilie
SpyroFlame Green Sparx Gems: 354
#18 Posted: 16:05:31 27/09/2011
I'm not really bothered. They do the same with movies, give it different names depending on where you live. I prefer Glimmer because well...it's always been called that. However, Ripto's Rage makes sense.
---
Broccoli - the way of the future for trees.
#19 Posted: 18:39:57 27/09/2011
Quote: SpyroFlame
I'm not really bothered. They do the same with movies, give it different names depending on where you live. I prefer Glimmer because well...it's always been called that. However, Ripto's Rage makes sense.

I think Ripto's Rage and Gateway to Glimmer both equally make sense to me. I like both the names now. It's like in the US it's Sly Raccoon and in the Uk Sly Cooper.
---
#20 Posted: 18:35:29 29/09/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

I think Ripto's Rage and Gateway to Glimmer both equally make sense to me. I like both the names now. It's like in the US it's Sly Raccoon and in the Uk Sly Cooper.

Yeah, exactly. It's not like either of the names are just random. Both of them relate to the game, so either or is fine with me. The only thing I don't get is why they didn't just give the game one name.
---
#21 Posted: 19:06:01 29/09/2011
Quote: SuperSpyroFan

Yeah, exactly. It's not like either of the names are just random. Both of them relate to the game, so either or is fine with me. The only thing I don't get is why they didn't just give the game one name.

Exactly, I've always wondered that, could it be a particular copyright issue in the title of that particular game or what? Pft... We'll never know.
---
#22 Posted: 21:28:20 29/09/2011
Yeah. It can be annoying because is a dozen different names for the same thing really necessary? It probably is copyright issues. It's funny how some things are accepted in some countries but banned in others.
---
ccrogers15 Ripto Gems: 248
#23 Posted: 04:27:39 04/10/2011
i heard it was just because gateway to glimmer sounded cheesy in america. Its actually a better name and fits it. Since spyro went into the portal (gateway) and landed in glimmer.
#24 Posted: 19:16:46 04/10/2011
Quote: ccrogers15
i heard it was just because gateway to glimmer sounded cheesy in america. Its actually a better name and fits it. Since spyro went into the portal (gateway) and landed in glimmer.

Sounding chessy is just a matter of an opinion, I really doubt it would be the cause of that, what about Ratchet and Clank Future? Future was taken out here in the UK.
---
Kiro Blue Sparx Gems: 765
#25 Posted: 02:41:00 15/11/2011
I preferred Ripto's Rage,because the game isn't CENTERED around Glimmer AT ALL.
it's centered around Spyro's quest to bash-n-flame RIPTO. Who is ENRAGED.
But,I guess I see why Gateway to Glimmer might be preferred.
---
"I find this to be particularly.... particularly.....sheep dung."
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#26 Posted: 17:28:16 15/11/2011
Yeah. It can be annoying because is a dozen different names for the same thing really necessary? It probably is copyright issues. It's funny how some things are accepted in some countries but banned in others.

I remember that Starfox had to be changed to Starwing over here... Which just sucks.
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
#27 Posted: 09:51:44 16/11/2011
Why change names all the time? What is the point, really?
---
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#28 Posted: 00:07:57 27/11/2011
I just think of the trope, "American Kirby is Hardcore/Badass"
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
lemmingluv Ripto Gems: 907
#29 Posted: 07:14:47 27/11/2011
i like riptos rage better for two reasons
1) i always picture ripto having a little temper tantrum
2) gateway to glimmer makes it sound like that's the objective of the game
#30 Posted: 23:13:36 29/11/2011
Yeah, that's true. The game is more focused on Ripto rather than Glimmer itself.
---
SpyroCool Red Sparx Gems: 27
#31 Posted: 16:38:11 19/04/2012
I'm from the UK, so Gateway to Glimmer for me. Also, I prefer it being 'Gateway to Glimmer' instead of 'Gateway to Avalar', because it makes you remember Glimmer, and, of course, you DID go through a 'Gateway to Glimmer'.

I like the American title too, and the Japanese one is epic. For me, it would be this order.

1) Gateway to Glimmer

2) Spyro x Sparx Tondemo Tours

3) Ripto's Rage
---
I'm a fan of the classic series, specifically Spyro 2. I love that game!
Own: [smilie] [smilie] [smilie] [smilie] [smilie]
Want: smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
AshETERNAL Green Sparx Gems: 387
#32 Posted: 01:56:39 21/04/2012
I don't even know anymore. I never even knew it had anotehr name other than "Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!" until I found this site.
---
*Previously on this site as GlitchGirl. Heheh. I hate losing passwords and forgetting what of 5 emails you registered with smilie*
SpirowdeDragoon Blue Sparx Gems: 600
#33 Posted: 02:01:50 21/04/2012
If Tondemo is Avalar's Japanese name, then I choose Spyro x Sparx: Tondemo Tours as my preferred title. If not, then Ripto's Rage it is.
ExtremeSpyro Ripto Gems: 112
#34 Posted: 02:35:21 21/04/2012
Ripto's Rage is the best title, in my opinion.
AshETERNAL Green Sparx Gems: 387
#35 Posted: 03:05:31 22/04/2012
Quote: ExtremeSpyro
Ripto's Rage is the best title, in my opinion.

I agree.
---
*Previously on this site as GlitchGirl. Heheh. I hate losing passwords and forgetting what of 5 emails you registered with smilie*
Johnster1 Red Sparx Gems: 69
#36 Posted: 11:47:54 31/05/2012
Born with GtG, obviously I'll choose that one over Ripto's Rage. Though the title seems only to last a few seconds, because once you're in Glimmer, that's the title out the way. Same with Ripto's Rage - his biggest rant goes along the lines of,

Quote:
A DRAGON?! YOU BROUGHT A DRAGON INTO AVALAR?! I! HATE! DRAGONS GYAAAAARGH!
---
Spyro gamer since 1998. JohnGreasyGamer on YouTube (the number one source for number two games).
ilovespyro11 Gnorc Gems: 334
#37 Posted: 20:02:02 31/05/2012
Aha, as soon as i saw my dad finish the game i asked where the gateway to glimmer was smilie lol. mabye Elora's Rage cos she was the one who suggested a dragon, which is a bit dramatic to get rid of an undergrown hippo with a horn
WolfTron Green Sparx Gems: 216
#38 Posted: 00:12:42 30/07/2012
Tondemo Tours makes sense as was brought up.. Especially considering the entirety of the game takes place in Avalar.

Gateway to Glimmer I like as it is representative of the main part of the story in which Spyro is introduced to the world of Avalar. It's very appropriate.

More consistent than Gateway to Glimmer would be Ripto's Rage, as it does seem more relevant to the entire game as Ripto is the villain and is also the reason for Spyro being in Avalar.

They all make sense, and all work. Gateway to Glimmer feels like it brings more of the fantasy vibe to me, which I enjoy. However, Ripto's Rage brings attention to the best boss battles in the original Spyro trilogy. Tondemo Tours reminds me of all the worlds and trials we experience in Spyro 2. If there were a better translation from the Japanese title.. say something like "Spyro 2: Tours of Avalar" I think it'd be a great title that captures the style of gameplay quite well: Briefly visiting plenty of unique worlds with different baddies and allies to offer. Hard to really pick a favourite. I grew up with Ripto's Rage, but it does feel kind of quick and lackluster in comparison to the other two versions of the title. Probably Tours of Avalar would be my favourite (despite not being the direct name of the Japanese title smilie).
---
I saw something shiny
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me