darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure > Nintendo-Difference's Interview about Skylanders with Executive Producer
Page 1 of 1
Nintendo-Difference's Interview about Skylanders with Executive Producer [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 16:54:56 30/05/2011 | Topic Creator
Nintendo-Differences interviews about Skylanders with the game's executive producer is revealed:

http://www.nintendo-difference...ager.htm#chap_0

Here's some of the Q&A from the interview:

ND: Do you feel that this is a natural evolution of the franchise Spyro?

JY: I think it's good change from the gameplay blending the worlds of toys and video game that we seek, and Spyro is a perfect choice for it. When people ask what a Skylander, we reply that it is a legendary hero, a champion in the world of Skyland. As we have seen through the Spyro games, he has earned his stripes as a legendary champion and earned the rank of Skylander among the 32 champions who represent the cream, the leaders of Skyland. It is well known and is the standard for heroism. So it's a natural evolution of the franchise.

ND: What was the first idea, the combination of toys and video game, or use of the Spyro franchise?

JY: It was really done in tandem. Make the game was a nice union of creativity in our studios Toys for Bob, and work with our other Internet group, Red Octane, who had already made **************devices in the past for DJ Hero and Guitar Hero. So we had the right people behind the technology, and good people behind the creativity. We started by telling us "Ok, let's find the best ideas we may have for toys, characters, and what their capabilities are in the game world" and then we use technology to see if we could bring life to these toys. Many people think it can not be done, but hey, let's try! Maybe you make a mistake along the way, but see if something is possible, that is the real spirit to advance in the industry. Such developments, the evolution of games and toys, that is why we entered the industry. It is an exciting race ahead for each of these two worlds.

ND: Is this game is aimed at a younger audience, or is it that players who grew up with Spyro also find themselves in the game?

JY: I think so. I love playing this game, though of course I'm on the side of the publisher. Have the pleasure of your toys to life and freedom of choice through what you can do in the game, I think these are things that speak to everyone. I think for everyone, you, myself, especially children, we are told all the time what we should do, where we must do, when, why, how. Even in games, often we are told "You will use this character in this level now," "Now you play a side-scroller, you will use this character and you have to do it that way." What we do and what I think happens Skylanders to do is give you some power over the choice. You know what? This level is filled with water? I did not use a water character. I'll use a character who can fly, and fly just above the water. Or I'll use this monster lava and jump on these islands. It's just a matter of saying "You know what? Go and play! . This is what the games were at the beginning, it was only freedom of expression and fun. Sometimes people forget that freedom may just invent what you want to do when you want to do. It's like giving the power to your imagination and take a step back, I love that feeling of freedom. It provides excellent replayability, as each character is unique. So you can play at one level, such as a water level with a character on the mainland, Eruptor example, running from island to island. You'll quickly understand how it works and you could get rid of your enemies head on. Maybe then you'll want to replay that level with Gill Grunt. Now you swim in water, you sneak behind your enemies because you can leave the water and shoot them with your harpoon before using your jet pack water before joining the new wave. You can use the water to have unlimited ammo, since it is owned water and that it is fueling his jet pack and a water pistol. You adopt a completely different strategy and can explore new paths in the level, then you almost feel like playing a different game.

ND: Are you asking questions of children to have ideas?

JY: Probably, you ensure that you are still on track to please everyone. Toys for Bob has conducted numerous iterations with many ideas for different characters before stopping at this group of 32 characters. So, you know, that kind of position, you use every tool in your arsenal to explore your imagination and that of the whole world to see what you could find.

ND: Can we expect more adventures of Spyro mature in the near future?

JY: You know, you approach the next step smartly, and you do what you think is good for the history of the characters, the gameplay and the hearing of the game you do not do something just because you can. You can already see what we have done with many other games within Activision. I do not think of giving your more mature Spyro because we can be a good thing because it will not work in the universe, the style, the gameplay, the audience that we seek to achieve . We're always seeking new ways to play, that's how we got this game is just unique compared to what has already been done. We really take our time to what is the next step, and as regards the direction of the franchise, I can not say anything yet. We always try to overcome the obstacles on this game, we're just the alpha phase of the project and we are aiming for release this fall. There is much work to do during this time. When we come to the conclusion that we look to the future, then of course we can give more details on this.

ND: Is there something you would say to fans of Spyro French, to conclude this interview?

JY: If there was one thing I could say would be that I can not wait for everyone to finally get his hands on the game, just like you today. Beyond this, besides the revelation of character that we showed today, there are many things we will reveal, during and after E3, approaching the exit of the game is just so much more I wish I could tell you everything now. I'm really excited about this game It awakens the child in me, and I'm really looking forward to see more people play. It's been almost 10 years I worked in the industry and saw many people in the control groups and I have seen people light up playing some games. I had never seen people like this, with a smile to the face while playing the game for today, look at all these people press play duel, and when the battle ended , see the rush to change character as quickly as possible. I can not wait to see what kind of reaction massively and watch everyone enjoy this game This is why I got into the industry initially. It will be so rewarding to see everyone have fun playing when the game is out,
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 03:33:44 01/06/2011 by Aura24
Forgotten World Platinum Sparx Gems: 5164
#2 Posted: 19:48:09 30/05/2011
Well things are looking great so far for Skylanders; Spyro's adventure.
---
Life's a struggle, but when you die, it's how you handle life.
Malefor0001 Gold Sparx Gems: 2365
#3 Posted: 19:56:00 30/05/2011
Sounds pretty good, and alot revealed on the front of where the insparation for this game came from.
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
SpyroPurple Blue Sparx Gems: 652
#4 Posted: 22:15:00 30/05/2011
See! This guy is what the spyro fans have needed. He has shown us what we have already known, but yet also revelead that they do actually care for us fans and attempt to give onto us all of which insomniac has in terms of spyro. It is the purple dragon we adore, but yet also a number of new characters of which are there to enhance this new land and show us a new perspective.
---
"May the ancestors look after you...may they look after us all."
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#5 Posted: 22:32:10 30/05/2011
It sounds like a good idea, but as for the characters it's kind of over-doing it a bit, like they can't really user a wider imagination so they will just chuck in loads of random characters, it probably won't even feel like a Spyro game once you play as other characters all the time, I didn't mind changing characters from time to time in Spyro: Year of the Dragon & Spyro: A Hero's Tail, but then again you can do the level in a different way, or would that just get boring after a while?
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#6 Posted: 01:41:16 31/05/2011 | Topic Creator
That interview should answer some of our questions about Skylanders and Spyro being in it. :3

I like how the activision producer added Spyro in the game in the interview:

"When people ask what a Skylander is, we reply to them that it is a legendary hero, a champion in the world of Skyland, and as we’ve seen through the Spyro games, he’s kind of earned his stripes as becoming a legendary champion and has earned the rank of being such a Skylander and to be among the 32 champions that is kind of the forefront, the leaderish of the Skyland. He’s well know, he has set the standard for what it is to be a hero. So, it is a natural evolution for it."
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:06:53 31/05/2011 by Aura24
#7 Posted: 02:26:09 31/05/2011
Yes i know what your saying, but they did tell us b4 that we dont even need to play as them, only the starting 3. Thats right, only gil grunt, spyro, and trigger happy are manditory to complete the game and you can do so with each one at a time. I know they arent really spyro characters, but look at AHT and YOTD, they had MORE than 3 characters besides spyro. So why just count them out for something like that?
---
#8 Posted: 02:29:18 31/05/2011 | Topic Creator
But they did say that Spyro is one of the leader-like kind of Skylander. :3
---
#9 Posted: 09:21:59 31/05/2011
Quote: Aura24
But they did say that Spyro is one of the leader-like kind of Skylander. :3

But to me that doesn't make a difference when you can just play as any random character, so I don't see how that can feel like a Spyro game, it was fine in YOTD because you only had that in one specific area.

And I think Activision are just saying that to make it sound a lot better and it may be to do with the storyline.
---
#10 Posted: 17:45:18 31/05/2011 | Topic Creator
I know that it doesn't really explain the real reason Spyro was added, but I agree that it's a fun story reason to have him in there.
---
#11 Posted: 20:35:11 31/05/2011
I know that it doesn't really explain the real reason Spyro was added, but I agree that it's a fun story reason to have him in there.

If I personally got this game, I would mainly being using Spyro. It would be vary rare for me to play as another character. It's the same thing with Dawn of the Dragon, I never played as Cynder, only when I really needed to as to use a specific power on an object to get it to work or to dig underground to the otherside of the gate, seems like a bit of a gimmick.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:36:25 31/05/2011 by SuperSpyroFan
#12 Posted: 21:11:17 31/05/2011
well i see your point and i guess we can only agree to disagree....
---
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3156
#13 Posted: 22:13:38 31/05/2011
Wait! Spyro's gonna be on E3?
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
#14 Posted: 23:33:41 31/05/2011
Yup, hes part of the activision panel along with their other games, at least thats as far as ive gathered right now.
---
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#15 Posted: 23:40:37 31/05/2011
Quote: Fireball
Wait! Spyro's gonna be on E3?

You didn't see that coming?

It was more than obvious that Activision would show off Skylanders and MW3 at E3. The only thing that surprises anyone is that they have one more spot open for another game that they will show. My guess is that it's the new Transformers game coming out for the film.
#16 Posted: 01:03:44 01/06/2011
What channel is it on? I saw a commercial, but I can't remember where.
---
#17 Posted: 01:16:44 01/06/2011 | Topic Creator
Look up the channel number where G4 is on around in your area.
---
#18 Posted: 01:19:44 01/06/2011
I think it was rather Spike or Mtv, but I can't remember. I'll have to look it up later.
---
#19 Posted: 01:47:12 01/06/2011
Quote: Fireball
I think it was rather Spike or Mtv, but I can't remember. I'll have to look it up later.

E3 is being shown by G4. If you don't have G4, you might have to watch it and/or get updates about it from the official site.
#20 Posted: 01:50:23 01/06/2011
I'll have to check tonight.
---
#21 Posted: 01:50:35 01/06/2011 | Topic Creator
Jared Veager hinted in the interview that water-based characters have the ability to swim in water! Yes! smilie
---
#22 Posted: 01:52:24 01/06/2011
Jared Veager hinted in the interview that water-based characters have the ability to swim in water! Yes! smilie

You're surprised by this? smilie
#23 Posted: 01:53:46 01/06/2011
Wouldn't Spyro be able to swim, though? I mean, dragons are able to swim, not just fly and walk.
---
#24 Posted: 01:54:55 01/06/2011 | Topic Creator
Only characters with the element of Water can swim; Spyro is a character with the element of Magic.

Quote: CAV

You're surprised by this? smilie

It hasn't been confirmed before that we'll be able to swim. :3 Since we saw no gameplay of swimming.
---
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#25 Posted: 03:19:28 01/06/2011
I'm still suspicious. An Associate Producer is essentially a suit. Someone from Activision designed to address the media and deal with the business end. As soon as I hear an interview with the programmers and developers I'll be able to hold more of an opinion.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#26 Posted: 03:22:50 01/06/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: HIR
I'm still suspicious. An Associate Producer is essentially a suit. Someone from Activision designed to address the media and deal with the business end. As soon as I hear an interview with the programmers and developers I'll be able to hold more of an opinion.

Actually, HIR, Jared Yeager is the executive producer, one of the two producers in charge of the game of Skylanders.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:29:24 01/06/2011 by Aura24
TheWereCat Yellow Sparx Gems: 1000
#27 Posted: 09:14:37 01/06/2011
Thank God that it's only a week until E3- I'm starting to really get into Skylanders, and we really need new info.
---
"It's time to call in the big guns."
Own:smilie smilie smilie smilie
#28 Posted: 09:49:47 01/06/2011
I'm not too sure about it.
---
#29 Posted: 09:57:03 01/06/2011
I just think SSA Spyro is damn right adorable smilie
---
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#30 Posted: 12:30:01 01/06/2011

Actually, HIR, Jared Yeager is the executive producer, one of the two producers in charge of the game of Skylanders.

An executive producer generally doesn't get too involved with the finer details. And if he's one of the two, then the other one is probably the guy from the developer, because Yeager sounds like he works for Activision. <.<;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#31 Posted: 14:52:18 01/06/2011
I just checked my TV. I don't have G4. Darn...
---
#32 Posted: 17:33:00 01/06/2011 | Topic Creator

An executive producer generally doesn't get too involved with the finer details. And if he's one of the two, then the other one is probably the guy from the developer, because Yeager sounds like he works for Activision. <.<;

So? He DOES work at Activision, didn't you read the full interview? The other producer is Michael Graham, one of the two who did the LoS trilogy, who also works at Activision now. They both originally worked at Vivendi Games as producers, before their company merged with Activision.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 17:49:23 01/06/2011 by Aura24
Jackson117 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3875
#33 Posted: 02:29:01 02/06/2011
Spyro only has the Element of Magic? and yet their using the whole Rare Purple dragon thing..ugh
#34 Posted: 06:31:28 02/06/2011
At least they mentioned it, and referenced the older games.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me