Page 1 of 1
"Judging the Book by its Cover" [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 13:54:14 14/02/2011 | Topic Creator
Apparently, a whole lot of fans have quickly judged the upcoming game and deemed it as an upcoming failure, when they only saw screenshots and demos of the game that is still working in progress.

They also haven't even played the game themselves to completely judge it. Some fans have reasons for not liking the upcoming game. One of those reasons doesn't make sense, like 'because of Spyro's design being ugly in my eyes, this game will suck for sure!'. Character designs doesn't make a good game, yet most fans seem to only rely on Spyro's character design to determine their decision for them, and not play the game in general to decide for themselves.

Heck, I'm willing to try this game and decide for myself if I like it or not, instead of "judging the book by its cover" or letting the character designs determine my likes or dislikes for me.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Cynder985 Ripto Gems: 425
#2 Posted: 14:04:39 14/02/2011
Exactly. I seriously don't care how Spyro looks in the upcoming game. I'm still gonna get it when it comes out later this fall.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6239
#3 Posted: 14:11:12 14/02/2011
I understand if someone doesn't like the idea of toys and just doesn't want to buy it. If they understand that you don't need all of them, but they still don't want it, then that's ok. But to refuse to buy the game because of a design is utter bullcrap. Didn't this happen with LoS? And look how big of a fanbase that got.

The game is in pre-alpha, therefore designs can change overtime. If it was in Beta, then the design is locked in and there's nothing you can do. But the game is far from Beta testing. Several things can change over that time period.

And I seem to be the only one that actually thinks that this design is possibly the best I've ever seen of Spyro. And by saying that I painted a huge bullseye on my back. Attack me for saying that and you'll only have proven my point that you can't accept an opinion, and you're willing to rip someone's head off for it.

I'm going to play the game, regardless of who tries to stop me. If I knew the address of the toy fair, I would go and try it out and share my thoughts here. Regardless of what people say or do.

But I thought most of the people here were better than that, to base the entire game off of a design that a completely different developer made. You want the old design back? Get Insomniac to make the game. When you manage to pull that off, I'll shut up. But it's like all you do is play a game and like it because of the design. I thought the LoS design was cute, but strange since the way his mouth was shaped. And I thought his DotD design looked chunky.

When a game or franchise changes developers, the designs are going to change. Nothing is going to stop that from happening. So why don't you guys just calm down and wait for the release, go you a store and try it out there. Then you can complain all you want.
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#4 Posted: 14:54:37 14/02/2011
Quote: CAV

And I seem to be the only one that actually thinks that this design is possibly the best I've ever seen of Spyro. And by saying that I painted a huge bullseye on my back. Attack me for saying that and you'll only have proven my point that you can't accept an opinion, and you're willing to rip someone's head off for it.

You rock. I love Classic Spyro's design the most, but I'm almost close to loving this one just as much.

I just kinda give up with people nowadays to be honest. They're always judging everyone and everything by its cover, and it really peeves me.

No, Spyro is not dead because of one single game not being how you want it.
No, it will not fail because you can buy other toys if you want to.

I'm going to laugh my butt off if Skylanders ends up proving to be a huge hit, and Acti continue this version of Spyro smilie
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6239
#5 Posted: 15:30:48 14/02/2011
^ I would be in stitches when that happens. When they see all of the critics giving it high reviews (I doubt it, but you can hope).

And I agree. Spyro isn't dead because you don't want the game to be this way. Spyro isn't dead because he has a new developer (that's why the design changed).

And to comment on BH_W's comment about how fantards will eat everything up, it's fairly obvious that he/she/it is talking to me, especially with the picture below the comment. I don't really know how I'm a fantard when a Spyro game is in my top 5 Worst Games of All Time list (ETD), and when time and time again I've shown hatred towards Activision and their decisions. This is the first time I actually gave praise to the company, and odds are this will also be the last until the CEO resigns, and someone smart takes control.
#6 Posted: 16:17:46 14/02/2011
Quote: Spyroo
Quote: CAV

You rock. I love Classic Spyro's design the most, but I'm almost close to loving this one just as much.

I just kinda give up with people nowadays to be honest. They're always judging everyone and everything by its cover, and it really peeves me.

No, Spyro is not dead because of one single game not being how you want it.
No, it will not fail because you can buy other toys if you want to.

I'm going to laugh my butt off if Skylanders ends up proving to be a huge hit, and Acti continue this version of Spyro smilie

That would be hilarious if this game does well. Yeah, I still love Spyro's classic look, too, but I like his new design the same. smilie
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#7 Posted: 16:35:17 14/02/2011
Although I say it very often but it's a up-to-date classic Spyro xD
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
Byrn Yellow Sparx Gems: 1250
#8 Posted: 17:14:16 14/02/2011
Well if I see a book with an obscene cover I know I'm not going to like whats inside. Though it's different for all people but Art plays a big part in video games. If the art sends negative feelings people (generally) try to find something that doesnt.

I'm not saying your wrong, everyone is different. But there is a heavy psychological part in this. I for one am at a point in my life where I just cant take many more negative feelings. So if Spyros new look and price bother me I try to distance myself from it.
---
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get is one trick, rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, the skys the limit!
#9 Posted: 18:40:01 14/02/2011 | Topic Creator
No one is forcing you to like this game...
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#10 Posted: 19:12:44 14/02/2011
I know, I dont want sides to start picking at each other again though. You said the reasons don't make sense, I was just trying to show that for the people that made those decisions it makes perfect sense to them.
---
Sanity is a one trick pony, all you get is one trick, rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, the skys the limit!
Apoc Gold Sparx Gems: 2941
#11 Posted: 19:13:14 14/02/2011
People assume too much, it's really sad.
---
DarkSpyro's resident "cool person" except there's nothing cool about me.
I've been here since god knows when and ask any old heads about me.
#12 Posted: 19:14:30 14/02/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: Byrn
I know, I dont want sides to start picking at each other again though. You said the reasons don't make sense, I was just trying to show that for the people that made those decisions it makes perfect sense to them.

I meant about the reason of fans who are hating the game all because of Spyro's design, which doesn't make sense...

Quote: Apoc
People assume too much, it's really sad.

Yeah, and the game isn't even out yet, still working in production and it's in beta-stage...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:15:39 14/02/2011 by Aura24
#13 Posted: 19:22:29 14/02/2011
I understand it, but it's very hard to explain. Now, i'm not for people saying the actual game is going to be bad if they havent played it.
---
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#14 Posted: 20:03:52 14/02/2011
I'm still on the fence with this game. But the way the whole fanbase is acting towards all three sides to Spyro is making me consider forgetting about the series altogether. :/
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
minredd Blue Sparx Gems: 698
#15 Posted: 20:28:56 14/02/2011
Quote: Aura24

Yeah, and the game isn't even out yet, still working in production and it's in beta-stage...

Didn't Activision say it's in pre-alpha? Might not even be in beta yet.

As for books-by-the-cover, I understand how a design can put someone off, but it's not like it's become a guts and gore game. The only design change I can see myself having a problem with is if it becomes very vulgar. Other then that it doesn't bother me. Let goblin Spyro fly!
Stormy Gold Sparx Gems: 2624
#16 Posted: 20:37:35 14/02/2011
Like I said on another forum, we have a lot more to go on than just the "cover" of how Spyro looks. We have a trailer, a sample of gameplay, the basic plot, a few of the characters, and the price. Seems like more than enough to decide whether or not it looks good at this point. I don't see too many people saying that it's gonna be terrible just because Spyro looks ugly.
zzsdf Emerald Sparx Gems: 4157
#17 Posted: 21:07:22 14/02/2011
Quote: Stormy
Like I said on another forum, we have a lot more to go on than just the "cover" of how Spyro looks. We have a trailer, a sample of gameplay, the basic plot, a few of the characters, and the price. Seems like more than enough to decide whether or not it looks good at this point. I don't see too many people saying that it's gonna be terrible just because Spyro looks ugly.

The game is going to be released in seven months, so I agree with Aura: we're judging the book by its cover.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:09:28 14/02/2011 by zzsdf
#18 Posted: 21:20:29 14/02/2011

I agree. I have reasons to be skeptical about the game, but they are from mostly the gameplay videos.
---
Apoc Gold Sparx Gems: 2941
#19 Posted: 22:25:22 14/02/2011
If only fans could be rational about everything, maybe then fandoms will be better.
---
DarkSpyro's resident "cool person" except there's nothing cool about me.
I've been here since god knows when and ask any old heads about me.
#20 Posted: 22:26:16 14/02/2011
Who are you referring to?
---
#21 Posted: 22:30:47 14/02/2011

You'd be surprised at how many I've seen complain about Spyro's looks, and say it's gonna suck because of it..... Especially on DeviantArt. I keep seeing people use that same screenshot and bawwing about his looks there :/
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#22 Posted: 00:04:15 15/02/2011 | Topic Creator

Then you haven't looked at the comments of Skylanders Spyro on DA and other gaming sites that features the game.
---
#23 Posted: 00:30:39 15/02/2011
Here's a good example of someone going a bit OTT. No adult Spyro/Cynder? Ugh. Spyro should never be an adult, it's a KIDS game. Only guys like Mario have the charm to attract all ages.

Some people really need to stop treating Spyro like an adult game.
---
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#24 Posted: 00:38:26 15/02/2011
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs7...pot-d39hjas.png
....I donĀ“t know what i say to this picture...these people are for me not more fans....
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
#25 Posted: 00:39:37 15/02/2011
I've seen that one. I think s/he said it was a request, based on Spyro and Sonic's 'less popular' titles, rather than pure hatred.
---
#26 Posted: 00:51:14 15/02/2011
Quote: Spyroo
Here's a good example of someone going a bit OTT. No adult Spyro/Cynder? Ugh. Spyro should never be an adult, it's a KIDS game. Only guys like Mario have the charm to attract all ages.

Some people really need to stop treating Spyro like an adult game.

Ugh, that picture's so ridiculous. *facepalms*
K-Tech Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#27 Posted: 04:23:08 15/02/2011
I like it. In a technology and evolutionary world there is a time and place to try something new in the franchise. People thought touchscreens or 3D was never going to last.... and it's in everything that has a screen. All we're missing is windows!

Spyro's still kind of cute and the designs slowly sank in as I watched and re-watched the trailer. And for those saying they died a little watching it, call a doctor please and keep it to yourself if it was that bad.

For everyone else: UNTIL the game is in OUR HANDS, at OUR HOMES, in OUR CONSOLES and we're ACTUALLY PLAYING the game... shut up, keep the rant of failure to yourself until launch day, please.

At 19 going on 20 and an animation/game design student all I can say is "Not to shabby Acti". Even though Spyro is slapped in there, I still have great expectations. Heck, didn't Aura's 5 minute video say the game was one of the best in show or something like that? In NEW YORK? The big business hub of the world?
---
I'm k-tech... and I approve this message.
#28 Posted: 04:29:30 15/02/2011 | Topic Creator
Yeah, they did say Skylanders is getting a lot of attention.

Look at this article posted by the author and he or she tells us how he or she feels about the fanbase reacting negatively to the new game.

"All in all, I'm excited for this new game. While it's different from what I wanted, I'm not going to knock it till I've tried it. The Spyro fanbase is just as bad as sonic's. They will never be happy. Honestly, when Dawn of the dragon was announced they all hated it, and now they worship it. This won't be any different."

From here: http://screwattack.com/blogs/F...pyros-adventure
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:03:11 15/02/2011 by Aura24
#29 Posted: 05:13:37 15/02/2011
Quote: K-Tech
For everyone else: UNTIL the game is in OUR HANDS, at OUR HOMES, in OUR CONSOLES and we're ACTUALLY PLAYING the game... shut up, keep the rant of failure to yourself until launch day, please.

...So you can say positive things about it before the release, but negative things are off limits? This is still judging the book by its cover....

I really don't get it. What exactly is wrong with criticizing based on what we know now?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:15:33 15/02/2011 by Stormy
#30 Posted: 05:16:25 15/02/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: K-Tech

So you can say positive things about it before waiting for the release, but negative things are off limits? This is still judging the book by its cover....

I really don't get it. What exactly is wrong with criticizing based on what we know now?

But some fans let their hate for the new game get the better of them, and they do stupid things. Like on DA, some of those fans driven by hate of Skylanders post hate and flame comments on most of the Skylanders pictures drawn by fans who like and dislike the new game, and act like jerks to other fans who like Skylanders.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:17:49 15/02/2011 by Aura24
#31 Posted: 05:20:12 15/02/2011
But some fans let their hate for the new game get the better of them, and they do stupid things. Like on DA, some of those fans driven by hate of Skylanders post hate and flame comments on most of the Skylanders pictures drawn by fans who like and dislike the new game.

Well, I know. You said that before. It's understandable that people don't want to be flamed for liking the game so far.

But that's not what the thread is about. The thread is about judging the game, not its fans, and I'm addressing the people who apparently think it's such a crime to judge a game by its trailer, trying to explain why it actually makes sense and isn't as bad as they think.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:21:43 15/02/2011 by Stormy
#32 Posted: 05:21:56 15/02/2011
I agree with the author. Many fans right now will bash something way before the item is physically is in their hands.

Why can't we just be optimistic and have hopes for something fun and unique, like professional sports. We get all hopeful for a great season and make a run for the dance or the playoffs. Why can't we all be like that. Why can't we be like Pittsburgh or New York and have high hopes every year and forget the past and try again.

It's called retooling. Again I'll use a sports anecdote: After going 49 and 111 in 2004, the Arizona diamondbacks went through a "reboot". A year later they went back and fought into second place in their division. Then in 2007, after fixing what was wrong that slowed them down... they made it to the championship series and nearly had a shot against Boston (curse you Colorado!).

Then Spyro was like the D'Backs in 2004: bombing.

Later with the LoS era was like the D'Backs from 2005-2007: Improving in increments.

Now with all the tools, learning what went wrong and figuiring out what will work, this could be the year they can make a run. Maybe, it's just a speculation.

Right now let's be OPTIMISTIC for a change. I didn't really felt like going to Disneyland last year... then I went... now I really glad i went.

To me, psychologically... everyone is like a 5 year old: They will like it (or not) once they realize what they're missing.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:24:00 15/02/2011 by K-Tech
#33 Posted: 05:24:12 15/02/2011 | Topic Creator
But some fans let their hate for the new game get the better of them, and they do stupid things. Like on DA, some of those fans driven by hate of Skylanders post hate and flame comments on most of the Skylanders pictures drawn by fans who like and dislike the new game.

Well, I know. You said that before. It's understandable that people don't want to be flamed for liking the game so far.

But that's not what the thread is about. The thread is about judging the game, not its fans, and I'm addressing the people who apparently think it's such a crime to judge a game by its trailer, trying to explain why it actually makes sense and isn't as bad as they think.

We so far only saw the teaser trailer, and a few work in progress game demos. It will be like DotD, the game was judged the same way by fans but they grew to like it. And now they're doing the same with Skylanders.

The fanbase right now is like Sonic's fanbase.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:25:30 15/02/2011 by Aura24
#34 Posted: 05:25:16 15/02/2011
We can be optimistic, but let's face it: just because it looks good to you doesn't mean it will look good to everyone else. To me, it doesn't look at all appealing. And no, it's not because Spyro looks ugly.

We may not know all there is to know about this yet, I'll give you that. But seriously, what's so wrong about criticizing what we know so far?

We so far only saw the teaser trailer, and a few work in progress game demos. It will be like DotD, the game was judged the same way by fans but they grew to like it. And now they're doing the same with Skylanders.

...Yeah, the fanbase has been like Sonic's fanbase since the first LoS game. So the fans can't agree on what they like. What's bad about that?

But there are things we know for sure. We know there are going to be collectible toys that are required to play the game. I don't like that. We know that it is aimed at children 6 to 12. I don't like that. We know what the story is. I don't like that. We know about a few of the characters and their "backstories." I don't like any of them.

See what I'm saying? Even the basic elements of the game can be enough to decide what you think of it. If you really try to follow the logic you're trying to use here, you'd have to try every game, even if it doesn't look good to you, because you can't judge it before you've actually played it for yourself.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:32:14 15/02/2011 by Stormy
#35 Posted: 05:32:36 15/02/2011
@Stormy: and I'm fine with that. I'm just glad there is a game in the first place. It may be bad, it may be good, who knows. As long as they at least try, I'm good with that. We'll see during E3.

Let's just hope so if I'm cashing in $70 for it.... and Nascar (ducks)
---
#36 Posted: 05:35:38 15/02/2011 | Topic Creator
We can be optimistic, but let's face it: just because it looks good to you doesn't mean it will look good to everyone else. To me, it doesn't look at all appealing. And no, it's not because Spyro looks ugly.

We may not know all there is to know about this yet, I'll give you that. But seriously, what's so wrong about criticizing what we know so far?

...Yeah, the fanbase has been like Sonic's fanbase since the first LoS game. So the fans can't agree on what they like. What's bad about that?

But there are things we know for sure. We know there are going to be collectible toys that are required to play the game. I don't like that. We know that it is aimed at children 6 to 12. I don't like that. We know what the story is. I don't like that. We know about a few of the characters and their "backstories." I don't like any of them.

See what I'm saying? Even the basic elements of the game can be enough to decide what you think of it. If you really try to follow the logic you're trying to use here, you'd have to try every game, even if it doesn't look good to you, because you can't judge it before you've actually played it for yourself.

Then they take the Spyro franchise way too seriously then. It's just a game...
---
#37 Posted: 05:39:12 15/02/2011
Then they take the Spyro franchise way too seriously then. It's just a game...

Wait, who are we talking about now?

At least we can agree that Spyro isn't serious business, though. Maybe then we can agree that both the Skylanders haters and the Skylanders hater haters should lighten up a little and not make such a big deal about opinions.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#38 Posted: 06:54:25 15/02/2011
Well, complaining about it isn't going to do anything.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#39 Posted: 06:56:26 15/02/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: DarkCynder_543
Well, complaining about it isn't going to do anything.

Yeah, it will only bring the game more attention..
---
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#40 Posted: 10:15:24 15/02/2011
I meant the people on this topic. What is making topics and whining going to do? I understand that they're annoying but there's nothing we can do about it.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#41 Posted: 16:48:44 15/02/2011 | Topic Creator
Quote: DarkCynder_543
I meant the people on this topic. What is making topics and whining going to do? I understand that they're annoying but there's nothing we can do about it.

I know there's nothing we can do. But all that hate and frustration some fans have for the game, they sometimes take it out on other innocent fans like the upcoming game. All over a character design, a teaser trailer, and a couple of demos of the game still work in progress for further improvement.
---
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#42 Posted: 21:20:43 17/02/2011
At first, I was surprised with this new design and thought it was going to be a failure like most of the others. But then I realized it still has a chance and you can't judge it by this much information as we have. We only saw a minor part of it so we cannot judge this yet.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me