Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
darkSpyro Book Club
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#1 Posted: 03:12:33 23/01/2020 | Topic Creator
Welcome to the dS Book Club, because I assume you all read sometimes. Basically just talk about books you're reading here, books you've read recently, make a list of what you're reading, etc. Anything counts! Novels, manga, graphic novels, collections, anything as long as you read it!

- - -
I'll start things off with a list of what I've been reading recently:

-Persona 5: Vol. 1: Overall, a good start to a story I'm very familiar with. Pacing is a little funky because they use the script almost word for word, and everything takes about as long as it does in the game. They probably could've gone down a different route, but since Persona is Atlus's big cash cow, I figure they wanted to stretch it to have as many volumes as possible. Good translation and good art though.

-Good Omens: I first decided to pick up this book after watching the really good Amazon adaptation, and since I like the show, I assumed I'd like the book. I was correct in that assumption. I just started it a few days ago and I'm not that far, but its really a fun read. I'm not laughing out loud as much as I did while watching the TV show, but it's still a blast to spend time with.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:12:49 23/01/2020 by Vespi
TheFlyingSeal Diamond Sparx Gems: 8523
#2 Posted: 03:24:22 23/01/2020
I'm SUPER game for this topic!! For any of y'all who want to read more books but don't have the money to do so, here's a resource I use for a lot of college classes as an English major:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

This is a database full of international classics, from novels, to short stories, to even plays, all for free and all for your reading pleasure! Keep in mind that even though this is a large database, not everything is there. I consider this website the "Netflix" of literature
---
#CynderIsAFireDragon
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#3 Posted: 04:30:37 23/01/2020
Watership Down
Seriously, everyone should read this. Richard Adams has such a brilliant writing style. It's got a bit of an environmental angle, in the idea that humans ravage the natural land for their own purposes, disregarding the life of things already living there (and how that affects the ways and customs of each different warren the group encounters on their journey in a not so good way), but mostly its about kinship and found family! It's a sad story too, makes me teary every time. I reccomend this to absolutely everyone. (it's about rabbits if you didn't know lmao)

Tailchaser's Song
I think I heard that this was one of the inspirations for Warrior Cats? The story is based around cats, of course, and they have a similar naming structure and human-like society. However, it's much more of a fantasy story, lots of made up creatures and magic and gods that walk amongst the living. And it's surprisingly ... disconcerning? The third act very much so. God, the last chapters are so unsettling. I'm going to say it reminds me of Stranger Things 2. If you've read the book I think you'll know what I mean.

The Wild Road + The Golden Cat
A deuology about cats! A great deuology about cats! The world and the characters in these books are fantastic. I seriously love every single cat in this book, I got so attached to them. This story is very fantastical too, it's about a cat being called into the wild roads (highways of energy travelling through time and space known only to animals) and undertaking the quest to save the king and queen of cats from the Alchemist, who is trying to selectively breed the Golden Cat. I think this book has the most adult themes out of the three I've mentioned here, if you're okay with cat secks then I think you should enjoy these books. They've probably left the best impact on me out of the books I've mentioned.

- - -

I'll talk about more of my favourite books soon. Too lazy to write a lot right now. <3
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#4 Posted: 15:56:22 23/01/2020
Everytime I read a book I can never get past the first few pages. How do I fix this. Also how do people read without reading in their minds
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3912
#5 Posted: 16:39:00 23/01/2020
Lost Boys
by: Orson Scott Card

As with most things, I can't remember the plot very well, but I knew it was my new favorite book when I finished it. It's mostly realistic with some sci-fi elements if memory serves. It was one of the first books I read with an ending that dissatisfied me. Not in a bad way, though.

Dandelion Wine
by: Ray Bradbury

idk. We have a lot of books by sci-fi authors. I like Bradbury's writing style. It's the most recent non-school book I finished.

Mao
by: Jung Chang

I'm about 1/4 of the way through this. It's a history book detailing the rise of Mao Zedong.
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#6 Posted: 19:19:57 23/01/2020
Quote: somePerson
Everytime I read a book I can never get past the first few pages. How do I fix this. Also how do people read without reading in their minds

What no, read in your mind too, that's the fun of it. If you keep trying to just process the words it will get boring, there's no right way to read, let your mind wander as long as you don't lose track entirely.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6425
#7 Posted: 15:05:05 24/01/2020
Currently reading Book 3 of A Song of Ice and Fire and so far I love the books way more than the show(even if the Red Wedding is more horrific in written form)

However the best fantasy books I ever read were the Realms of the Elderlings, most people might know about the early parts(Royal Assassin) but not many read them all and I did to find out it’s a masterpiece that I want to see adapted, shame you can’t make fanworks of it because of the fanworks ban as that would help spreading it and promoting it as an IP to consider.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
semp123 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3232
#8 Posted: 02:33:24 29/02/2020
Read Gravity's Rainbow and I know people lie about reading it a lot for cool points and all that but it was honestly really interesting. Lot of headaches in the beginning getting used to the style, but the humor kept me going and by the second half I was glued to it. very weird/dirty book tho. not 4 the kidz

After that I read Slow Learner, and it's kinda fun seeing the author's style and skills develop. First 3 stories definitely feel kind of half-baked (with interesting ideas and so-so follow-through) but the last two are progressively better.
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6606
#9 Posted: 00:36:23 06/03/2020
The highschool here recently did a play on the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire and it reminded me of how much i love the book Ashes of Roses.
I’ve read it twice, both times for school and the second time I was so happy to be able to read it again. It’s about the aforementioned fire and what it was like for an immigrant to live in America in the early 1900’s. I love the characters and the settings and the commentary on how immigrants were treated and had to work to survive. The 3 Roses are my favorite characters and a scene of them towards the end of the book will forever stick in my head as a pivotal point in my life when I learned reading could affect me in ways i never thought (This was Pre Hunger Games DragonCamo haha).
It’s a 10/10 book I would highly recommend.
---
Gay 4 GARcher
#10 Posted: 16:27:06 07/03/2020
Nearly finished part 1 of book 1 of the Stormlight Archive(I got a version that was separated in two parts so I am yet to own the full book), for now it is good, sure but I don’t think so far it is as great as Mistborn.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
#11 Posted: 05:42:00 11/03/2020 | Topic Creator
Quote: DragonCamo
The highschool here recently did a play on the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire and it reminded me of how much i love the book Ashes of Roses.
I’ve read it twice, both times for school and the second time I was so happy to be able to read it again. It’s about the aforementioned fire and what it was like for an immigrant to live in America in the early 1900’s. I love the characters and the settings and the commentary on how immigrants were treated and had to work to survive. The 3 Roses are my favorite characters and a scene of them towards the end of the book will forever stick in my head as a pivotal point in my life when I learned reading could affect me in ways i never thought (This was Pre Hunger Games DragonCamo haha).
It’s a 10/10 book I would highly recommend.

I taught a lesson on the Triangle Fire a few months back, might be an interesting read!
Whitenoise24 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3070
#12 Posted: 04:29:37 13/04/2020
Currently reading Re: Zero book 5 of the light novel.
---
My DeviantART account. http://whitenoise24.deviantart.com
Ezio Hunter Gems: 7178
#13 Posted: 04:41:04 13/04/2020
I am about 78 pages into the first book of the Walt Longmire Mysteries series by Craig Johnson. I originally watched the show that came out on A&E and then found out about the books. The books are so much more detailed and i absolutely love my cowboy dad.
---
"The cowboy has always been a dying breed
But he takes his dying slowly, perched upon his steed."
BlueFox Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#14 Posted: 23:17:23 12/05/2020
Recently read Dungeon Meshi Vol. 1, enjoyed it. Lots of fun ideas about role-playing game monster biology and physiology. Per usual for manga, the food illustrations are gorgeous, and Ryoko Kui makes the most bizarre and less than pleasant to think about dishes look delicious.
---
Where’s the account deletion button when you need one?
#15 Posted: 01:08:04 13/05/2020
Since a few weeks is deep in book 5 of A Song of Ice and Fire, so far I actually enjoy reading it way more than watching the show.
---
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#16 Posted: 00:35:49 17/05/2020
I've just managed to start of The Maze Runner series.

Not as bad as i thought it would be, just goes to show i should have tried the books before the movies.
---
^ You all know it's true
#17 Posted: 03:26:25 22/07/2020
After delaying I think I'm about to start V.
Think I'm gonna keep going on the Pynchon train for a while and see how that plays out. Might edit with thoughts or something instead of bumping the topic later.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:27:04 22/07/2020 by semp123
Iceclaw Hunter Gems: 9966
#18 Posted: 01:32:44 23/07/2020
I'm rereading Warriors and it's as amazing as I remember

About to start Chainsaw Man
---
Twinkies and 2hus
#19 Posted: 02:34:59 24/07/2020
Into book 6 of Mistborn, recently got book 2 in two parts of the Kingkiller Chronicles and the latest in two parts of the second(or third not sure) trilogy of The Mortal Instruments(with a mistake included of buying the second book of that trilogy a second time accidentally)
---
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6606
#20 Posted: 03:29:41 03/08/2020
I've started and haven't finished The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes and I just...i don't know about this one yet chief
---
Gay 4 GARcher
#21 Posted: 17:24:28 28/09/2020
i finished the book version of the last unicorn!

i listened to the whole thing, which is something i haven't done often. i don't have much to say about the story. the film adapts most of the main storybeats, so nothing super unexpected happened. i liked the writing style, though. very ethereal and something i'd like to emulate.
---
#22 Posted: 06:15:26 29/09/2020 | Topic Creator
Okay this is gonna sound really weird but I was stocking books and saw some Baby-Sitter's Club book called "The Truth About Stacey". I was gonna read off the back and make fun of it to him but saw that the plot revolved around one of the girls coming to terms with being Type 1 Diabetic?? Like me??

Now, before you ask, yes, I'm like 12 years too old to be reading a baby-Sitter's Club novel, but is that gonna stop my slight intrigue on how they handle this? Hell no, and I didn't get to do girl things as a kid so I think I earned this piece of temporally displaced childhood. I haven't had too much time to read, but for something written in '87, it actually does a remarkable job explaining the condition and how to deal with it, while still allowing the main character to be a normal girl and do normal things. As someone who was thrust into all this weird hyperfocused diabetes literature when I was diagnosed, I kind of wish I had this earlier.
#23 Posted: 23:35:21 09/03/2021
finished the erth dragons trilogy by chris d'lacey

it was pretty unremarkable. he included some interesting sci-fi concepts, but they felt ripped off from other things. the way he wrote the dragons was nice, but didn't make up for the meh-ness of the series. i didn't get the sense that d'lacey included any sort of intriguing commentary, either. didn't really have any of the qualities i like in a story.

kinda disappointing considering i liked his work as a kid.

4/24/2021
currently reading though "educated" by tara westover. i'm about halfway through. i had to take a bit of a break from it because parts affected me a little more than i was expecting
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:25:42 25/04/2021 by ThunderEgg
#24 Posted: 02:06:13 03/06/2021
Reading V. didn't pan out last year because of life/school stuff, but last week I started Blood Meridian and I'm slowly getting through the book. Slowly because there are a lot of archaic words in here that I've never seen before, and I always get the urge to look them up. Might restart V. after that?
#25 Posted: 00:37:24 15/06/2021
one of the millions of "murder she wrote" books

not bad and not good. it was kind of boring but a very light read

7/5/2021
FINALLY finished "educated" by tara westover. it was intense, but a good read.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:25:25 06/07/2021 by ThunderEgg
#26 Posted: 05:48:46 31/08/2021
read tom kings batman run. it ranges from "good i like this", to "what is happening", to every panel just being
batman: cat
catwoman: bat
*some poetry verse*

not the worst batman comic I have ever read. but certainly not the best one. it was just ok
#27 Posted: 17:06:34 31/08/2021
reading "catch-22" because apparently everyone had to read it in school except for me. i get the feeling that it's about how war is nonsensical. which, i mean, duh, it is. i don't really like it so far, but it seems like an important cultural touchstone to at least vaguely understand.
---
NSane Bandicoot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3138
#28 Posted: 21:26:32 31/08/2021
Recently finished "The Prince", about to start "The Catcher in the Rye". Currently trying to read as much classic/famous literature as possible.
---
Just me in my world of Enemies! | NSane Bandicoot? Nah
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:27:15 31/08/2021 by NSane Bandicoot
#29 Posted: 03:21:50 05/10/2021
oh i didn't update! i listened to "seed keeper" by diane wilson. one of the best books i've listened to/read in a while. i think it'll replace orson scott card's "lost boys" as my favorite book.

funny that both of these are realistic fiction, because i'm usually most interested in fantasy
---
#30 Posted: 09:21:42 29/10/2021
Reading grant Morrison's run on green lantern and its so weird. Like there are super big deep cuts to random one off characters like xeen arrow who is a giant telepathic alternate universe green arrow who needs a gravity belt to resize him to live on his planet.
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12132
#31 Posted: 21:57:57 04/04/2022
last night i read the original 1973 version of Demon Seed by Dean Koontz(yes that is his real last name.) it is shamelessly edgy and sickening yet fascinating. a powerful computer gains sentience and traps a woman in her own home with the intent to impregnate her to create a being with his "superior" mind in the mobile flesh of a human. i do not recommend it for the faint of heart or sex repulsed.

i dont think this was the author's intent but i think the story works well as a metaphor for the relationship between men and women on a societal level. i sound insane saying that but it makes more sense when you read the novel. proteus [the ai] becomes human — specifically a male, but in the worst way possible, physically and mentally.

i actually watched the 1977 movie adaption before this and while the basic premise is the same the execution is a lot different. the sexual aspect is removed, proteus is slightly more sympathetic, and susan[the woman] loses a lot of her pathos. i like how she's agoraphobic and kinda insane in the novel, she has a character arc that the movie removes by making her normal. overall it's ok, i'd probably recommend it for people slightly less sick than me.

in 1997 koontz released a heavily revised version of the novel that i am scared to read based on some articles comparing all the versions. apparently he decided he needed to add more "satire" to it, i skimmed through a pdf of it and i saw references to fozzie bear and marilyn monroe and proteus has an evil zombie butler for some reason. im not ready for that.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#32 Posted: 14:33:35 05/04/2022
Not exactly just finished, but I recently read Legendbord by Tracey Deonn.

It's cheesy YA, but like good ass parmesan. It's got good LGBTQ+ characters, tackles racism pulling no punches, and there's a character that's basically human(?) Shadow the Hedgehog
Very good, I've never gotten into a book series before it was halfway through so I'm absolutely waiting for Bloodbroken
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#33 Posted: 23:37:44 06/06/2022
Finished invincible after I stopped reading 7 years ago. I read the compendium and the third one was the weakest. Early one it felt like a fun take on superhero comics with it making fun of tropes but what really stood out to me was how everything that happens has impact. Like if a character dies theyre dead forever. Characters change and it explodes how it happens. Lots of foreshadowing from issues that were made years ago happen which makes reading it in a trade format very satisfying.

Near the end the comic kinda turns meh. It stops being a superhero story and you can tell that Robert kirkman is rushing to the end. Robert kirkman just can't write female characters. A lot of them just have the personality of being a b word or needing men in their lives as their only personality trait. Some characters just get forgotten completely.

Overall very good read. If you have time to read a comic but dont want to invest in comics that need to have a status quo invincible is perfect
Erikatastrophe Green Sparx Gems: 424
#34 Posted: 07:22:31 19/08/2022
I am in the middle of reading a few different books, but I would like to call out "A Slow Death: 83 Days of Radiation."

It covers the story of a radiation exposure accident that happened in Japan in the '90s, and the absolutely horrific experience that worker Hisashi Ouchi was put through because of it. You can read the basics of what happened online, but the book gives you much more detail, and I like seeing the kind of person that Ouchi was, although that makes it even sadder because I can't even begin to imagine what he went through. RIP Ouchi.
---
"You already said that." - Veruca Salt, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Ezio Hunter Gems: 7178
#35 Posted: 20:14:47 25/08/2022
i have been using audible and kindle more to read.

currently reading brisingr and a court of mist and fury

to be read is only 1 book. the song of achilles

so far i have finished

a court of thorns and roses
smilodon
eragon
eldest
in a land of wolves
god of war
the dark horse
---
"The cowboy has always been a dying breed
But he takes his dying slowly, perched upon his steed."
#36 Posted: 01:58:18 28/08/2022
oh yeah i've been listening to books more than ive been reading them lately. always liked listening to em
---
Erikatastrophe Green Sparx Gems: 424
#37 Posted: 03:23:43 28/08/2022
^ Are they robot voices or actually people reading them?
---
"You already said that." - Veruca Salt, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
#38 Posted: 21:44:47 31/08/2022
i'm using cheap text to speech so robot voices but usually you can check out good audio books from a library of youre on a budget. sometimes people will do readings and post them on youtube but the quality varies.

something i like doing is finding like peoples playthrough of vn style games and listening to them talk. but i cant really reccomend any good ones bc i havent done that much since im not super interested in vns. not sure what genre night in the woods is, but this is how i caught up with the gist of that game
---
#39 Posted: 05:57:18 20/09/2022
i read the jannete mccurdy book but

I also been reading the transformers idw run from the start and I just got past the all hail megatron storyline. honestly. I'm kinda meh about it. it kinda just threw away most of the world building that the last writer did for 4 years at that point to make the story more edgy. but some of the edgy stuff is fun like megatron bombing the Whitehouse and killing the president to become ruler of the world. but then the book flips over to the autobots and most of the time they are just moping and being sad. but for like 11 issues
#40 Posted: 01:24:44 14/09/2023
I’m reading princess jellyfish right now and it’s sooooo cute
---
Iceclaw Hunter Gems: 9966
#41 Posted: 22:29:10 14/09/2023
I need to get back into reading stuff besides children's book series Warrior Cats
---
Twinkies and 2hus
#42 Posted: 13:54:30 15/09/2023
Honestly I really want to read like chuck tingle or something next lol
---
Strawberry15 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1765
#43 Posted: 11:19:11 02/04/2024
I read The Secret Garden based on a friend's recommendation and it was adorable
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me