Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
vintage dinosaur appreciation
BlueFox Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#1 Posted: 22:09:32 06/10/2019 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

I love the smell of retrosaurs in the morning. Those terrible, horrible lizards. They're just the worst.
---
Where’s the account deletion button when you need one?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:09:48 06/10/2019 by BlueFox
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#2 Posted: 22:39:28 06/10/2019
The ORIGINAL Horrible Goose
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#3 Posted: 22:39:55 06/10/2019 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

He's giving you a thumbs up, cheering you on. What a guy.
---
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3859
#4 Posted: 01:34:52 07/10/2019
reminds me of a dinosaur puzzle I had as a kid

[User Posted Image]
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
#5 Posted: 11:57:00 07/10/2019
Ngl, I love vintage Dinosaur art. There's such a charm to them. There almost always great.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#6 Posted: 12:50:39 07/10/2019 | Topic Creator
They are very charming. It’s funny that some D&D monsters were inspired by cheap plastic definitely-not-a-dinosaur dinosaurs: https://diterlizzi.com/essay/o...bulettes-oh-my/

[User Posted Image]

big chunky lizards

They used to think these boys were too big to be on land and could only survive in the water, or else their weight would surely crush them. At least one person still promotes this idea and believes all dinosaurs were aquatic; they’ve even made a book about it. It’s of course totally incorrect, but it’s interesting pseudoscience.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:52:25 07/10/2019 by BlueFox
#7 Posted: 15:21:41 07/10/2019
Funnily enough I was gonna post a similar image when I got home, lol. What a fascinating idea but doesn't seem at all logical now.

[User Posted Image]
---
#8 Posted: 16:13:13 07/10/2019 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

I like to point to Ducky from the Land Before Time as an example of the outdated aquatic dinosaur theory. It was believed that “duck-billed” dinosaurs lived a similar lifestyle, only without the whole horribly dying because they’re too dang beefy part.

[User Posted Image]

There are quite a few bizarre depictions of dinosaurs out there, from gliding stegosaurs to hadrosaurs that breathe fire. The one above is known as McLoughlin’s Triceratops; he theorized that ceratopsian frills were actually buried beneath thick musculature. I think the most infamous of these ideas would have to be the Dinosauroid.

Also these are nice, love that there’s a Beast Wars Megatron. They also have retro stegosaurs.

If you’re into retrosaurs and goofy monsters in general, check out Primal Rage. It’s like Mortal Kombat, gore and all, but there’s a stop motion raptor that does backflips.
---
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 18:49:40 07/10/2019 by BlueFox
#9 Posted: 19:54:59 07/10/2019
Mcloughlin is full of.....out of the box ideas, isn't he?
---
#10 Posted: 20:47:08 07/10/2019 | Topic Creator
There’s wacky ideas everywhere in paleontology’s history. I still don’t know how the dinosauroid got published in a scientific journal. Very anthropocentric. Some spec-evo artists have made more convincing versions, I recommend looking at those.

Time for some non-dinosaurs.

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

Old restorations of marine lizards look like map monsters. They made the sclerotic rings visible on ichthyosaurs, which I always thought was odd.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:50:54 07/10/2019 by BlueFox
#11 Posted: 21:00:32 07/10/2019
The first one is one of my absolute FAVORITES. I have it saved to my laptop.
---
#12 Posted: 22:36:40 07/10/2019 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

Get her! Bite her head! Go for the jugular—the jugular!
---
#13 Posted: 22:53:56 08/10/2019 | Topic Creator
Close, Wolf! Those are Proavis, hypothetical early birds. They didn't actually exist, so unfortunately there weren't any brutal cage matches like that. I think it's interesting feathers popped up much earlier in paleoart history than one would expect. Artwork of these theorized animals date back to the 1900s.

[User Posted Image]

Vintage Spinosaurus, courtesy of Love in the Time of Chasmosaurs, a blog that collects outdated images of these terrible lizards.

[User Posted Image]

Legs for days. https://horrible-lizards.tumblr.com/
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:23:18 09/10/2019 by BlueFox
#14 Posted: 21:56:48 09/10/2019 | Topic Creator
Quote: FedUpWolf

[User Posted Image]
I wanted to post this fella

Ah, the Crystal Palace Megalosaurus! Always a pleasure to see.

Megalosaurus and Iguanodon are both very important dinosaurs; they were among the first to be named. I wish I could find the original for Louis Dollo's Iguanodon. He misunderstood a hole in the fossil's jaw to be an opening for a long anteater-esque tongue. These will do fine instead, because there's even more interesting factoids and nice art here: http://erickowalick.com/ruin_1.html
---
#15 Posted: 22:44:18 09/10/2019
I had about about the Crystal Palace Dinosaurs. Absolutley fascinating story.

[User Posted Image]
---
#16 Posted: 22:56:21 09/10/2019 | Topic Creator
Yep, most of the models are still there too. A few have been vandalized or destroyed.

[User Posted Image]

look a mammoth
---
#17 Posted: 23:04:07 09/10/2019
That were they on back in the day?
---
#18 Posted: 23:31:12 09/10/2019 | Topic Creator
I don't know, but it must've been some good stuff. He thought a mammoth actually a really big boar. Hypothesis aside, I'm not sure how he messed up a boar that much. Even some of the vintage dinosaurs up here look at least superficially like their real life counterpart. Looks like he took lessons from bestiary artists.

You've heard of when pigs fly. Well, get ready for when pterosaurs swim! One guy suggested they were swimming animals with flippers. I didn't find any old art of this, so I settled for a mammalian pterosaur!

[User Posted Image]

I mean, it’s got fuzz, so kudos.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:35:34 09/10/2019 by BlueFox
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me