Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Activision Looking into Possibly Making A New Spyro Game
Page 1 of 1
Activision Looking into Possibly Making A New Spyro Game
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#1 Posted: 08:14:48 11/08/2019 | Topic Creator
here is some interesting news, lets hope it happen smilie
http://www.pushsquare.com/news...e_retro_remakes
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 08:33:05 11/08/2019 by CountMoneyBone
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3900
#2 Posted: 02:09:54 12/08/2019
h e c k y e s
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#3 Posted: 09:52:07 12/08/2019
This has become a double-edged sword now that Activision has shoehorned microtransactions into CTR.

I want more Spyro, but I don't trust Activision at all with the IP at this point, they'll find some way to use Spyro to milk excess money.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#4 Posted: 11:13:25 12/08/2019
Quote: Sesshomaru75
While I obviously still don't agree with the decision to include them, Activision adding microtransactions into CTR was something that almost everyone saw coming from a mile away and fits the most due to the type of game that it is.

I don't really realistically see how they'd do the same with mainline Crash and Spyro, and feel that's more irrational paranoia than anything.
(Even with how admittedly shady and scummy Activision is as a company, but I digress...)

Regardless, if the issues that both N. Sane and Reignited had (While still being great games, mind you) wasn't already a sign of how bad Activision is as a company, then I don't really know what to tell people. *shrug*
(That, and while Activision is still a terrible company, I'm just glad that Vivendi isn't in control of either IP anymore)

I mean, I never place my faith in any corporation ever (no, not even Nintendo) because at the end of the day they are run by higher ups only interested in money. I just mean the fact that Activision is now already actively using Crash for this stuff so naturally it's more likely than ever that Spyro is next (the fact that there is a Spyro Grand Prix coming to CTR and the fact people can potentially start buying the CTR microtransactions during that time period doesn't help matters, it would send a very direct signal to Activision).

And Spyro being single-player doesn't really change anything, plenty of modern day AAA games shoehorn microtransactions and build their game around them (like Shadow of Mordor or Assassin's Creed Odyssey to name a couple). Nothing is stopping Activision from doing that with Spyro, or just making a multiplayer Spyro game to support them, for that matter.
---
#5 Posted: 19:07:05 12/08/2019
I would cry if they put micro-transactions into Spyro like that. Skylanders is still too recent a memory to make it worthwhile. Plus I'm dirt poor and don't want to spend extra money to get what feels like a complete game.

The thing that made Skylanders more okay to me was the fact that at least when you bought the toys, you had some sort of physical object to enjoy in real life. More traditional micro-transactions, as far as I understand, aren't that way. To me, that makes dropping extra cash on a level or skin feel pointless.
---
#6 Posted: 00:45:12 13/08/2019
Quote: ThunderEgg
I would cry if they put micro-transactions into Spyro like that. Skylanders is still too recent a memory to make it worthwhile. Plus I'm dirt poor and don't want to spend extra money to get what feels like a complete game.

The thing that made Skylanders more okay to me was the fact that at least when you bought the toys, you had some sort of physical object to enjoy in real life. More traditional micro-transactions, as far as I understand, aren't that way. To me, that makes dropping extra cash on a level or skin feel pointless.

To be fair, a new level or something isn't a microtransaction, that's just DLC, and usually those are developed after release. I'd have no complaints with them doing that (and to be honest I kinda wish CTR went this route for post-launch content distribution rather than the "it's free but you have to grind for it or pay money and deal with a rotating item selection every day" BS).

Microtransactions is when you spend money on an in-game currency that you can earn normally, and is presented to you as a shortcut if you don't want to put in the time to save currency to get the items you want. Most games that have them though are designed to make you feel pressured to throw down that money though because they stop giving out much of the currency after a certain point or they inflate the prices of items down the line. This also has the effect of making the general reward feedback loop of a game less fun over time as you realise you have to waste hours of your day on this game in grindy challenges just to keep up with everything.
---
#7 Posted: 01:24:47 13/08/2019
Quote: sonicbrawler182

"it's free but you have to grind for it or pay money and deal with a rotating item selection every day" BS

grinding = smilie
paying extra money = smilie

feels like being stuck between a rock and a hard place
---
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#8 Posted: 05:32:57 15/08/2019
My only concern is that Activision is why we had LoS and I'd rather not get a repeat of dark, edgy Spyro.
#9 Posted: 06:45:20 15/08/2019
The worst part of LoS, DotD, was produced after the Activision merger, when Krome was dropped as a developer in favor of the cheaper EL. Vivendi was always just a publisher. The people who had the most to do with LoS had been working on the Spyro franchise as it moved from developer to developer and bounced around publishers from A Hero's Tail all the way into Skylanders (not sure if the one guy is still there; Chris left sometime during Skylanders). Long story short, Activision has a tremendous amount of control over the franchise and how it's made.

In reality, I don't think they're going to do anything but maybe bring back a few LoS elements, like Cynder. LoS nearly killed the franchise completely for a second time and bombed in sales and reviews. Acti isn't likely to bring that back.
#10 Posted: 07:38:11 15/08/2019
I wasn't aware of all that, so thanks for the explanation! I remember being in the fandom at the time all these things were going on and nobody at all knew what was going on. I tried to keep up just to make sure I was getting copyright correct when doing fan art, but that's about as far as I got.

Kind of funny how Activision got passed around so much before it mutated into this massive company of its own. I want to say good for them, but they haven't exactly done gamers any favors with all the microtransactions.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#11 Posted: 13:10:51 15/08/2019
Activision is less of a problem of edgy reboots in general and just trying to pander to whatever works. Mobile? Sure. Shows? Sure. Edgy? Get whatever IP is currently trending. Whimsical? Wow, suddenly we WANT to revive Spyro and Crash.

But it's always the least risk possible and they never stick to any of their gimmicks. Vivendi in the end is the biggest culprit of all of Spyro's issues, from ETD's "leader" that destroyed the development sideways to LoS not being allowed to be any one thing, but Acti is kind of perpetuating the problem.

One can only hope TFB and VV actually have the weight to throw around this time to say "PLEASE stop rushing our games out we'll make it good with actual delays", but don't count on it.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#12 Posted: 11:06:03 17/03/2020 | Topic Creator
we now need a remake of the LOS games, that will complete the spyro games for modern times smilie
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me