Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Idle Chatter > Why is this forum so hostile?
Page 1 of 1
Why is this forum so hostile?
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6425
#1 Posted: 20:59:10 31/05/2019 | Topic Creator
I noticed when I came back that it’s really hostile...you get yelled at if you ever express concerns or say opinions that does not correspond to the mob mentality.

Darkspyro is supposed to be a place where all Spyro fans can gather and maybe make friends even if not on the same side of the community..to show off your creations, projects and get excited about news so why is all I see is people at each other throats?

Be it Classic, Legend or Skylanders we are all Spyro fans and it does not matter if someone don’t like the same side as you(I’m a Legend that never liked Skylanders but ended up accepting it over time and even enjoy one of the old games, sorry for my old behaviour) it’s life everyone is different accept it.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#2 Posted: 21:13:13 31/05/2019
Not a mod anymore but didn't you just get back from a Hiatus or something? There has not been recent fight about the Spyros and such? The hecc?
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
#3 Posted: 21:17:25 31/05/2019 | Topic Creator
Sorry,it’s just that everywhere I go on this forum,it seem that I’m unwelcome. For the lack of news stuffs,I actually meant a new Spyro game(I’m fine with just an announcement) and for the fact I feel this fandom feel dead...it’s personal...I have a fanfic in writing begging for someone to comment on it and tell me what to improve on or add but no one ever did and I then decided to add it to Fanfiction.net too...to get called gay in the review section...it does not help that I write in french...this incident and my struggle with my fic made me think no one care anymore.

I have no intention to insult anyone and if you get what I said the wrong way just ask I will be to happy to say what I actually meant.Don’t worry, even if you or others may not always like what I said( for exemple my hatred of mobile gaming and autoplay), I am friendly and don’t want to cause anger.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#4 Posted: 21:18:23 31/05/2019
You can say the things that actually happened, that's fine. There are problems with people getting hostile over little but if you place the facts with no personal attacks we can try to reach some conclusion, instead of just vaguely saying stuff.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#5 Posted: 21:23:43 31/05/2019 | Topic Creator
It’s just that there is a tendency to respond with anything I say in an hostile way...not that I feel personally attacked,it might always just be me imagining things.
---
#6 Posted: 21:26:21 31/05/2019
The things that actually happened, the facts. Keep in mind people go on hiatus all the time and also forget constantly what has been posted weeks ago.

As for fanfics, you're just not going to get traffic here, Fyra, those sections are pretty dead with some teeny tiny exceptions. I'd go on Archive of Our Own instead.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:26:39 31/05/2019 by Bifrost
#7 Posted: 21:45:09 31/05/2019 | Topic Creator
Yeah found out about Archive of our own when I went to check on Gravity Falls fics and I never saw such a large selection of well written fanfics and one shots than on that site and with always some neat ones appearing the next day or so...will go post it there. Fanfiction.net contain the largest amount of sometime neat fanfics...that become abandoned or dead and the Spyro section barely get any new additions.
---
#8 Posted: 21:46:51 31/05/2019
Be the change you want to see in the world! Sometimes people won't write for a franchise because there aren't enough authors messing with it. Just like the forum, interaction brings more interaction. Good, healthy interaction, of course.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:47:09 31/05/2019 by Bifrost
#9 Posted: 22:17:41 31/05/2019
Considering some stuff that happened, willspyro, I'm no longer going 'well our community is tight and we get mostly along so we don't have to change!' at every turn. I don't believe we're reddit level, but if there's something we can change, I'm willing to talk about it.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:20:32 31/05/2019 by Bifrost
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8443
#10 Posted: 01:54:45 01/06/2019
honestly every time a user says something another has to be aggressive towards it. this behavior is getting annoying
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#11 Posted: 09:23:37 02/06/2019
Honestly the site was so much worse when I first joined for attacking others. Certain users were trolled and hated on so much they were bullied off the site (remember Cynder 9999?
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/profile.php?user=4204 just read the guestbook). They were mostly younger users too with the older ones doing the bullying. It could have been based off bad spelling (they were young, so it doesn't mean they're dumb), 'annoying' opinions, posting 'too much' etc. There was also a lot more user drama back then E. G. Levi and Tibs.

Heck I was going to leave as one user in particular was very nasty to me but they got banned. If they hadn't I would have left.

Now the only true dislike I see is towards Buchi.

Though @Sess I don't think you mean to be but your questions can sometimes come across as provocative. I think it's just the way they're worded and emphasis with italics etc.
malefor64 Blue Sparx Gems: 773
#12 Posted: 12:05:20 02/06/2019
And then there’s me who’s tried to turn over a new leaf and people essentially just outcasted me and assumed everything I say is some direct attack. No one talks about it but the mob mentality is real here
---
Monke
#13 Posted: 12:44:55 02/06/2019
To prevent Paris from having to nuke the replies to the above, that hostility was created after weeks upon weeks upon weeks of trying to be nice and being met with horrible responses. Since Fyra is probably WAY out of the loop on it.

Ice Dragoness brings up a good point but the Skylanders section was also even worse afterwards - if you were not a collector, or if you wanted some order in the discussions and were tired of explaining things to people who couldn't read 10 posts prior, people would go for your throat for daring to not Like Thing the way they Like Thing.
---
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#14 Posted: 21:36:31 02/06/2019
Quote: Bifrost

Ice Dragoness brings up a good point but the Skylanders section was also even worse afterwards - if you were not a collector, or if you wanted some order in the discussions and were tired of explaining things to people who couldn't read 10 posts prior, people would go for your throat for daring to not Like Thing the way they Like Thing.

Oh... I do not go to Skylanders sections that often (in fact so rare that finding big foot might be more possible than me in the skylanders sections). Big yikes.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
TheFlyingSeal Diamond Sparx Gems: 8523
#15 Posted: 21:38:50 02/06/2019
Quote: Ice Dragoness
Honestly the site was so much worse when I first joined for attacking others. Certain users were trolled and hated on so much they were bullied off the site (remember Cynder 9999?
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/profile.php?user=4204 just read the guestbook). They were mostly younger users too with the older ones doing the bullying. It could have been based off bad spelling (they were young, so it doesn't mean they're dumb), 'annoying' opinions, posting 'too much' etc. There was also a lot more user drama back then E. G. Levi and Tibs.

Heck I was going to leave as one user in particular was very nasty to me but they got banned. If they hadn't I would have left.

Though @Sess I don't think you mean to be but your questions can sometimes come across as provocative. I think it's just the way they're worded and emphasis with italics etc.

I absolutely agree with this. I've been on this site for a long time. While hostility is something that still happens here, you only really see it within a couple of users on a regular basis. Most of the time, hostile interactions happen because someone takes a simple disagreement too far.

The latest hostile interactions I've noticed have been been a string of different users who will try to vague about an interaction they've had about another user in same forum they both reside in. The hostile interaction happens because the person who they're complaining about will call them out about it.

Vaguing about other users on the forum happens a lot, but a lot of people take careful caution into venting about it without actually giving enough hints to who the person is. Lately, the vagues are very obvious about who the other user is, and that creates a hostile environment all on its own, whether it's warranted or not. Sometimes, the person who vagues twists their words to make themselves sound like the good guy in the dispute they had with another user.

Quote: malefor64
And then there’s me who’s tried to turn over a new leaf and people essentially just outcasted me and assumed everything I say is some direct attack. No one talks about it but the mob mentality is real here

Like this, for example. Lots of users have made new accounts to start turn a new leaf, it's literally so normal here that no one bats an eye to it anymore. Sometimes users have multiple. Mob mentality is a real thing that happens in this forum, but when you're going around and replying to users in a topic where you're not supposed to reply to people, those people are going to get angry at you for it. THEN, when the mods delete everything that happened because of YOUR posts in order to keep the integrity of the topic and not cause anymore drama, you call it "an abuse of power." You claim people are hostile towards you, but you are the one who is creating the hostile environment.
---
#CynderIsAFireDragon
Gharlant Green Sparx Gems: 479
#16 Posted: 22:22:56 02/06/2019
Quote: TheFlyingSeal
Quote: Ice Dragoness

I absolutely agree with this. I've been on this site for a long time. While hostility is something that still happens here, you only really see it within a couple of users on a regular basis. Most of the time, hostile interactions happen because someone takes a simple disagreement too far.

The latest hostile interactions I've noticed have been been a string of different users who will try to vague about an interaction they've had about another user in same forum they both reside in. The hostile interaction happens because the person who they're complaining about will call them out about it.

Vaguing about other users on the forum happens a lot, but a lot of people take careful caution into venting about it without actually giving enough hints to who the person is. Lately, the vagues are very obvious about who the other user is, and that creates a hostile environment all on its own, whether it's warranted or not. Sometimes, the person who vagues twists their words to make themselves sound like the good guy in the dispute they had with another user.

Like this, for example. Lots of users have made new accounts to start turn a new leaf, it's literally so normal here that no one bats an eye to it anymore. Sometimes users have multiple. Mob mentality is a real thing that happens in this forum, but when you're going around and replying to users in a topic where you're not supposed to reply to people, those people are going to get angry at you for it. THEN, when the mods delete everything that happened because of YOUR posts in order to keep the integrity of the topic and not cause anymore drama, you call it "an abuse of power." You claim people are hostile towards you, but you are the one who is creating the hostile environment.

Yep people replied to Malefor's post and then everything went downhill from there. I'm learning to ignore people who have a problem with me though, even when they lost about me, and it's made me feel a bit better.
#17 Posted: 22:26:11 02/06/2019
Quote: Trix Master 100

Oh... I do not go to Skylanders sections that often (in fact so rare that finding big foot might be more possible than me in the skylanders sections). Big yikes.

It hasn't been like that even as the section died, I think not even during Imaginators, but I remember this also happening offsite a lot. You don't buy every figure as the waves come out? Well you just don't know the struggle - even though we're also here for the game which only requires one purchase of a starter pack. The figures and them not coming out is the only thing to be talked about and we're going to ask where Thrillipede is for weeks at a time.

I really think dogpiling on a user's thread should stop. If it helped the user see they're posting some yikes-inducing content, it wouldn't need a thousand instances of it. There's no need to interact after so long if it's just to start drama. Give them a heads up if it's really a problem but NO ELSE, keep it on messages between other users and not public if you really need to vent.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:27:03 02/06/2019 by Bifrost
#18 Posted: 22:31:22 02/06/2019
Also before anyone accuses me I don't condone vague posting or subposting. This could've been resolved in private just fine but instead it turned into.... whatever that was the other day.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#19 Posted: 22:47:53 02/06/2019
Quote: Gharlant
Also before anyone accuses me I don't condone vague posting or subposting. This could've been resolved in private just fine but instead it turned into.... whatever that was the other day.

She's the one who went public with it. It wasn't for her, we wouldn't be discussing it. Just saying.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#20 Posted: 23:14:40 02/06/2019
Quote: parisruelz12

She's the one who went public with it. It wasn't for her, we wouldn't be discussing it. Just saying.

I agree, if it was in fact about this website then it could've been handled privately. People replying to the post (myself included) certainly didn't de-escalate the situation any. Until everything got nuked, of course.
malefor64 Blue Sparx Gems: 773
#21 Posted: 16:10:18 04/06/2019

Final time for me to defend myself. It’s called personal thoughts. It was personal and actually had nothing to do with you. I have no problem with you
---
Monke
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#22 Posted: 01:12:42 06/06/2019

Final time for me to defend myself. It’s called personal thoughts. It was personal and actually had nothing to do with you. I have no problem with you

glad that was the final time youre defending yourself lol
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me