Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Why you need to watch V for Vendetta.
Page 1 of 1
Why you need to watch V for Vendetta.
Buchi Ripto Gems: 445
#1 Posted: 19:43:16 18/02/2019 | Topic Creator
Introduction (What is V for Vendetta?)
"Ideas are bulletproof."
V for Vendetta is a drama set is a dystopian London where the fascist Norsefire political party have come into power. They enforce strict rules to their people under the guise that these rules are for their own safety. The movie stars Hugo Weaving as V, a man with a dark past who seeks to end Norsefire's reign, and Natalie Portman as Evey, a young woman who finds herself as V's accomplice in his quest to take revenge.

[User Posted Image]

How does it begin?
"Remember, remember, the fifth of November."
Our story begins with Evey reciting an old rhyme about Guy Fawkes. Four hundred years have passed since the Gunpowder Plot, where Guy Fawkes attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament, this historical event becoming a major motif within the movie. She then begins to tell the audience about her experience with V, and how her time with him had changed her life forever.

[User Posted Image]

Who is V?
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Though little is known of V's past, he is shown to be something of a Thespian, as his first appearance shows him quoting Shakespeare. In addition to this he may appear charismatic to those who do not know him. However, beneath this façade he is bent on revenge against those who wronged him and forced him to wear his mask. Who is beneath this mask? Watch the movie and your question may or not be answered.

[User Posted Image]

Are you sure this isn't edgy?
"A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
Surprisingly it isn't. V is indeed an antihero who shares many traits with a typical Gary Stu yet he is not portrayed as a likeable person. Instead a large part of the movie comes through the perspective of Evey, who often finds herself witnessing the darker side of him. Whilst his followers praise him as a kind of hero, in reality he shares many similarities with the menace he fights against.

[User Posted Image]

So what makes this different from a generic dystopia?
"There are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences."
The focus here is not on the revolution. Nor is it on the dystopian society. Instead it focuses on V, his motives, actions, and the effects of his actions. It is not a story where the hero easily wins with his outstanding charisma and good luck. V is a flawed person, this story is about these flaws and how they affect others - and how others affect him.

[User Posted Image]

Why should I watch it?
"I will never forget the man and what he meant for me."
I'm sure I've gone on mostly about how V is the main focus of the movie but there is much more than just that. There are many themes addressed throughout the movie, most of all, again, how the main character is not portrayed as a nice person. He aims to change the world - for better or for worse? Is revenge a good motive for this? I suppose you'll need to answer that question somehow. Perhaps you should watch the movie? Yes. You should do that. You need to watch V for Vendetta.

[User Posted Image]

TL;DR
"Remember the idea, not the man."
V for Vendetta is a movie everyone needs to watch. Mainly because the good guy isn't necessarily a good guy. There is so much I could say but I'm not exactly good at movie reviews and the like so all I'll say is you need to watch the movie to understand why it's so important.

[User Posted Image]

~0~0~

I hope I did well in convincing you this movie isn't what it looks like. I was expecting it to be another edgy dystopian movie but I was definitely wrong.
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#2 Posted: 21:03:27 18/02/2019
buchi's gone full 4chan
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#3 Posted: 04:33:54 19/02/2019
You know, if you didn't watch this for the first time recently, I could have almost been convinced you were someone I knew irl. Though I suppose they are a good chunk edgier than you, AND have a girlfriend, so maybe not.
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
#4 Posted: 13:29:07 19/02/2019 | Topic Creator
V for Vendetta wasn't anywhere near as edgy as I expected. If anything it's the opposite imo, though I can't say why because spoilers.
Rendar Platinum Sparx Gems: 6473
#5 Posted: 15:31:12 19/02/2019
The comic is better and has a better message.
#6 Posted: 18:41:04 19/02/2019 | Topic Creator
Quote: Rendar
The comic is better and has a better message.

I've heard that too. I now own the comic so I'm definitely gonna read that at some point - films tend to deviate from the source material to appeal towards a wider audience. However since people might not have time for comics I made this post on the movie instead.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me