Page 1 of 1
Soundtrack opinions and a question
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#1 Posted: 19:59:05 24/12/2018 | Topic Creator
I am having mixed opinions about the soundtrack. For the first game, I'm not noticing much difference between the reignited soundtrack in the original, except for the most part that you was different instruments, but have pretty much the same tone and feel. The Only Exception is the Twilight Harbor theme, which has a bouncier Melody than the original.

Haven't heard much of the second or third reignited soundtrack, though I was severely disappointed with the fractured Hill remix. In the original game, fracture Hill and Idol Springs have the same theme, and I was hoping fracture hell would get a different theme, or at the very least a remixed version instead of the exact same theme again. They did, in fact, have a different remix for the two stages, however the idol Springs remix just sounds like a dull and more lifeless version of the original theme with a lot of its creepiness toned-down greatly, and the fracture Hills version... Is even more dull and lifeless. Basically an even worse version of the Remax.

But the enchanted Towers theme in Year of the Dragon? That one I actually quite like. In the original, it had some fairly dramatic trumpets going off in the background and a somewhat sinister sound coming afterwards. In the remake, Enchanted Towers has a darker feel to it overall, and the remixed theme suits it nicely, having a more mysterious feel to it that I actually quite like it.

Now for the question. Can someone please tell me what song Enchanted Towers theme sounds like? I know I've heard a very similar Melody before, and I can just hear the Trump stats and I can vaguely hear the melody, but I can't put my finger on it and I don't know what the song is called. I'm hoping someone knows what song I'm talking about though. I think the enchanted Towers theme would go really well in an episode of uncanny X's oddly familiar.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#2 Posted: 18:13:13 25/12/2018
I like Stephan's take on the soundtrack as a whole, but I do prefer Stewart Copeland's versions more. I was trying to come up with a reason why, but when a reviewer said that the newer soundtracks didn't have the same "punch" as the old music, I knew then and there why I preferred Stewart's music. Plus certain songs lack some instrumentation (e.g. Icy Speedway lacking cymbals).
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
#3 Posted: 22:57:29 25/12/2018
I’ve played with the Reignited version of the OSTs the whole time, but I still prefer Copeland’s original versions - Basically, to sum up my thoughts I think the Reignited soundtrack does a GREAT job of remixing the music a bit to fit the atmosphere of the new game. It matches with the visuals, it feels a bit... lighter and softer in a way I can’t really put my finger on, and the more extensive use of different instruments and sounds gives it a kind of cleaner sound that fits the more modern looking Reignited to me. The original soundtrack loooves it’s 90s synth sounds which I adore but this does feel very “Reignited.” If the Reignited trilogy is a new, updated take on a classic with the creative expression of the new team at some points inevitably shining through, I see the soundtrack as the same. So I’ve enjoyed playing with the soundtrack and some of the tracks I even really like! The updated version of Buzz’s Dungeon’s theme is AWESOME.

Overall though, I still personally prefer the original soundtracks. The Spyro soundtrack overall is so good to me that I frequently listen to it recreationally just because I enjoy it so much, I could go on forever with praise about it and I don’t think Reignited has quite the same “relistening when not playing just for fun” value. That’s probably largely born from personal preference though, like I said I adore the 90s synth sounds and a lot of the original versions of the songs fit nicely into my typical listening library (which consists of... a lot of synth music already) lol.
---
I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3912
#4 Posted: 17:05:23 28/12/2018
The newer versions feel really... stiff to me. Hard to explain... I have minimal knowledge about music. I've heard people saying that it sounds like in some parts of Stephan's songs, it sounds like he just copied a MIDI track of the originals. Obviously don't know if that's true or not.

I actually like what they did with making the music dynamic! Thought I would HATE it, but it's a nice touch. My biggest complaint, however are the trumpets on the title screen. The song's an OK compilation of various themes from Spyro, but the trumpets sound like cheap synthesizer trumpets. And Copeland made that song. I feel surely he could afford better, considering the original tunes were made quickly and cheaply.
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
#5 Posted: 19:30:19 28/12/2018
Quote: ThunderEgg
The newer versions feel really... stiff to me. Hard to explain... I have minimal knowledge about music. I've heard people saying that it sounds like in some parts of Stephan's songs, it sounds like he just copied a MIDI track of the originals. Obviously don't know if that's true or not.

I actually like what they did with making the music dynamic! Thought I would HATE it, but it's a nice touch. My biggest complaint, however are the trumpets on the title screen. The song's an OK compilation of various themes from Spyro, but the trumpets sound like cheap synthesizer trumpets. And Copeland made that song. I feel surely he could afford better, considering the original tunes were made quickly and cheaply.

Supposedly Stewart recorded Tiger Train with an orchestra, so make of that what you will.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:28:12 31/12/2018 by JCW555
#6 Posted: 12:37:36 31/12/2018
No way!! I would have never guessed that with how the trumpets sound. Seriously! They sound really cheap and synthesized to me. I mean, I profess I'm no music critic, so my ears are a bit untrained...

Cool name for the song, though. Not sure why it's called Tiger Train, but the name is certainly more exciting than "Title Screen".
---
#7 Posted: 21:27:15 31/12/2018
Quote: ThunderEgg
No way!! I would have never guessed that with how the trumpets sound. Seriously! They sound really cheap and synthesized to me. I mean, I profess I'm no music critic, so my ears are a bit untrained...

Cool name for the song, though. Not sure why it's called Tiger Train, but the name is certainly more exciting than "Title Screen".

Stewart has his own names for Spyro's music. For example, Jacques' theme is on The Stewart Copeland Anthology and it's titled Rain, and when Stewart did the Gizmodrome album, he based the track Zombies In The Mall off of Blowhard's theme, titled Louis.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:32:31 31/12/2018 by JCW555
#8 Posted: 18:32:26 01/01/2019
Makes sense.

I kind of want to see a Tiger Train now.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me