darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: Reignited Trilogy > What Would You Prefer Spyro 4 to Be?
Page 1 of 1
What Would You Prefer Spyro 4 to Be?
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#1 Posted: 00:09:35 07/12/2018 | Topic Creator
I've been thinking about a TFB dev'ed Spyro 4, and from what I've seen, there seems to be two schools of thought when it comes to a Spyro 4:

• Strip back some of the minigames and have Spyro be an almost pure platformer ala Spyro 1. A lot of the criticism of Spyro 3 is the overuse of minigames and side stuff that dilute the plaforming experience of Spyro's gameplay and slow the game down. Some minigames in Spyro 2 get this criticism as well.

• or

• Expand the minigames in the series. Spyro 3 was praised back when it was released for its gameplay variety, including the minigames, and to abandon that would feel like a step backwards to those who like Spyro 3 the best (which is still a decent chunk of people).

• What would you want?
    ---
    You gotta believe! Heh heh.
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:17:53 07/12/2018 by JCW555
    Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
    #2 Posted: 00:31:29 07/12/2018
    Probably middle of the road. Breaking up gameplay that's a "chore" is necessary but not too much.
    ---
    SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
    (What I need is never what I want)
    sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
    #3 Posted: 00:53:08 07/12/2018
    I think how Spyro 2 did it is mostly fine. It had a lot of mini-games but most of them used either Spyro's core controls (like the fish feeding in Idol Springs or the hockey mini-game in Colossus), or just something REALLY simple like aiming a cannon or riding a simple vehicle like the trolley that causes trouble.

Spyro 3 got very ambitious and could be very hit or miss and constantly did outright genre shifting rather than just a few mini-games. It's kinda like Conker's Bad Fur Day in that regard (only kid friendly). And while I do like that kind of game, I still think I prefer Spyro 1 and 2. Spyro 3 was also the way it was somewhat out of necessity - Insomniac was running out of ideas for what to do with Spyro because he's a quadruped, so they had to fill in the blanks with all of these other playstyles.

I wouldn't be opposed to something pure and comfy like Soyro 1 but with bigger worlds. The game definitely has a charm to it and they could still use the extended cast of characters, maybe even make some of the redesigned Spyro 1 dragons into even more defined characters.
    ---
    "My memories will be part of the sky."
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:54:29 07/12/2018 by sonicbrawler182
    MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
    #4 Posted: 01:06:47 07/12/2018
    Yeah, I agree with the middle ground thing. I, personally, light the new characters, though, and would like to see them playable in the next game.... Just as long as they don't bring Blink/y back.
    Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
    #5 Posted: 01:19:25 07/12/2018
    Absolutely agree with sonicbrawler, and I’d like to add that I hope minigame portals will be gone for good as well in favor of a more natural location within the level’s design like in Gateway to Glimmer.
    The remake of Year of the Dragon probably kept them as a quick telepor and not to mess with the overall geometry, as all areas are actually loaded at the same time when entering a world.

Wouldn’t be against a more Spyro 1-esque setting either, less themed realms and a more general concept declined according to the various levels.
    Definitely want bigger worlds but not at the cost of making them feel empty like in Enter the Dragonfly: no vast and flat grounds but rather well thought, complex and open areas.
    ---
    ”Gulp, lunch time!”
    Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
    XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
    #6 Posted: 12:34:18 07/12/2018
    Hmm maybe more open world like A Heros Tail and new abilities for Spyro like double jump ect. You can make a lot of new abilities with Spyro!
    More focus on platforming and complex level design.
    Maybe new transformations for Spyro
    A storyline with the same writing like SSA/SG/STT. It was light hearted but had edgy moments
    Returning of fan favorites: Cynder, Malefor, Ignitus, Ember, Flame ...
    Less minigames but missions from NPC's which requires platforming challenges (like AHT did)
    I want other playable characters but not so many like Spyro 3. Maybe Hunter who plays like in AHT, Sparx and Cynder (with some TLOS gameplay style level)
    ---
    "If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:35:40 07/12/2018 by XSparxX
    Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
    #7 Posted: 14:34:08 07/12/2018
    I think a bigger open world with more developed story is the way to go forward. Playing the Reignited trilogy now the worlds seem a bit small. More story and cut scenes would also be nice.

The return of fan favourites such as Cynder and Ember is also a must.
    SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
    #8 Posted: 15:49:29 07/12/2018
    I don't mind it following the route of Spyro 3, as long as the extra characters feel fine to play, and the extra mechanics are worked on properly and are fun, then I have no problem with this. The one problem I have with Spyro 1 is that since there's no extra mini-games, or any new mechanics thrown in, it gets boring a lot more quicker than the sequels. Not to say they didn't try and do different things in later levels, like adding super charge ramps, and being able to breathe fire that breaks metal, but it needed something more than that to break up the gameplay. The one thing that the first Spyro game has going for it is the level designs, most of the later levels are amazing, and you don't see it that often in 2 and 3 because of the nature of adding in mini-games.

Also, they don't need to bother by making the levels larger, since that will only turn it into Yooka-Laylee, one of the main reasons why I gave up playing that game is because the levels were way too big, and just became a confusing mess.
    ---
    Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
    ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3900
    #9 Posted: 18:48:15 07/12/2018
    Remake and complete ETD.
    ---
    I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
    #10 Posted: 23:14:34 07/12/2018
    Quote: ThunderEgg
    Remake and complete ETD.

I'd rather have a new game.
    ---
    Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
    #11 Posted: 10:17:41 08/12/2018
    Honestly I'd... love to see a remade completed version of Enter the Dragonfly actually LOL.

I kinda doubt it'll happen, ETD was such a developmental mess and I have a feeling at this point they'd rather just sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened, but to be honest there's a lot about ETD I loved and to this day hold it close to my heart despite it's huge flaws. Not to mention it has a fantastic OST and some really genuinely fun and cool ideas with a lot of potential. The worst thing about ETD for me is how much potential there was that totally went to waste.

I think it'd be cool to see something between an ETD remaster and a totally new game???? Like, take the fragments of ETD that worked and restructure them around an actually cohesive game lol. New/actually playable minigames, maybe a new villain/new bosses (or actually have the Gnasty/Ripto teamup they were planning), new levels, but also keep in remastered versions of the original levels and the multiple breaths idea and all that??

I dunno. I doubt it'd happen but I think that's what I would be the most interested in, since I really do love ETD a lot lol. But if they gave us a totally new game (which I'd also love to see!!!), I think I'd want it to be like, middle ground between Spyro 1 and Spyro 2. Frankly Spyro 1 is my favorite, and I'm not a huge fan of minigames, I really just prefer the basic exploration/platforming feel of Spyro 1 and I like the "quiet" compared to constantly being surrounded by NPCs, but I also think SOME variation in the form of some challenges/minigames and SOME characters, more than just the dragons you free occasionally in 1, would be cool too.
    ---
    I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
    XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
    #12 Posted: 11:43:19 08/12/2018
    ETD is such a broken mess.
    Why is the whole Crash/Spyro fandom looking for remakes instead of new titles!? Its so weird I dont understand it.
    ---
    "If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
    Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:43:37 08/12/2018 by XSparxX
    #13 Posted: 13:09:57 09/12/2018
    I’ve yet to have a clear idea about how they could handle new Spyro and Crash games from now on.

The first logical step to bring them back was to remake their first trilogies, which were not only their beginning but also six all-time classics which remain some of the favorite titles among many fans.
    They were bound to sell well if handled properly, and looks like they indeed did.

Now Activision has announced CTR’s remake, another title from the PS1 era which is just as loved as the first trilogy (if not more) and I think was also the last Crash game developed by Naughty Dog.
    Not to mention it is a spin-off, so a quite different take in terms of gameplay and approach.

Since Spyro has no more PS1 titles to be recreated let alone any developed by Insomniac, and since his series doesn’t have spin-offs as far as I remember (the closest would be Skylanders and we all know they aren’t going to touch it for a while), I guess their only chance to develop another remake is finishing up Enter the Dragonfly properly by polishing what was already there and adding everything which was ultimately scrapped.
    It would feel like a basically brand new experience for customers and whoever will be tasked to work on it wouldn’t have to start from zero.

I can’t see them touching A Hero’s Tail nor the Legend trilogy for a number of reasons.

The other two possible choices are to create a brand new game (which is what I’m hoping for, honestly) or, and it hurts me to say it even though it isn’t to exclude, to stop there.
    People got what they were vocal about, just like with CTR, and Activision might think that original new stories wouldn’t pay off as well as nostalgic ones.

Whatever the decision was, I’m confident they already took it.
    CTR has apparently been developed by Beenox for quite a while now, and if a new Spyro game is scheduled to be released in 2020 then development has most likely already started.
    ---
    ”Gulp, lunch time!”
    #14 Posted: 16:41:09 09/12/2018
    Quote: Drek95
    I’ve yet to have a clear idea about how they could handle new Spyro and Crash games from now on.

The first logical step to bring them back was to remake their first trilogies, which were not only their beginning but also six all-time classics which remain some of the favorite titles among many fans.
    They were bound to sell well if handled properly, and looks like they indeed did.

Now Activision has announced CTR’s remake, another title from the PS1 era which is just as loved as the first trilogy (if not more) and I think was also the last Crash game developed by Naughty Dog.
    Not to mention it is a spin-off, so a quite different take in terms of gameplay and approach.

Since Spyro has no more PS1 titles to be recreated let alone any developed by Insomniac, and since his series doesn’t have spin-offs as far as I remember (the closest would be Skylanders and we all know they aren’t going to touch it for a while), I guess their only chance to develop another remake is finishing up Enter the Dragonfly properly by polishing what was already there and adding everything which was ultimately scrapped.
    It would feel like a basically brand new experience for customers and whoever will be tasked to work on it wouldn’t have to start from zero.

I can’t see them touching A Hero’s Tail nor the Legend trilogy for a number of reasons.

The other two possible choices are to create a brand new game (which is what I’m hoping for, honestly) or, and it hurts me to say it even though it isn’t to exclude, to stop there.
    People got what they were vocal about, just like with CTR, and Activision might think that original new stories wouldn’t pay off as well as nostalgic ones.

Whatever the decision was, I’m confident they already took it.
    CTR has apparently been developed by Beenox for quite a while now, and if a new Spyro game is scheduled to be released in 2020 then development has most likely already started.

The "Party like it's 2024" trophy must mean something, because if we think about it, if a Crash and Spyro was to come out every other year, then Spyro would end up being last in 2024.
    ---
    #15 Posted: 20:28:23 09/12/2018
    Yeah, as of now I take that Trophy as a pure Year of the Dragon reference.

But it could line up nicely with that release schedule and as of now they indeed followed the alternate years idea with Crash.
    We’ll see how this goes on.
    ---
    ”Gulp, lunch time!”
    Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me