Page 1 of 1
Soundtrack Throwdown: Town Square
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#1 Posted: 20:50:47 29/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Now that the game has been out for awhile, I conjured up what I like to call the "Soundtrack Throwdown", where people will state the version of the song they prefer and why. For the original music, unfortunately no one has uploaded the uncompressed versions that are on Reignited, so we'll have to deal with PS1 rips for now.

We'll go through every piece of music, including mini-game music and the credits music.

To kick this thing off, we'll start with the first homeworld in Spyro 1, Artisans Homeworld!

Original:

Reignited:
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 00:47:24 04/12/2018 by JCW555
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3859
#2 Posted: 20:54:52 29/11/2018
My fav is the original because (1) it's what I grew up with! and (2) it doesn't have to rely on being dynamic to sound good while playing.

Not that dynamic music is inherently bad. It's mostly nostalgia guiding my choice, honestly.
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#3 Posted: 21:36:43 29/11/2018
I like the newer version a little bit more, but to be honest, they don't sound all that different from each other.
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3859
#4 Posted: 22:37:02 29/11/2018
Yeah, they're both pretty good tbh.
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#5 Posted: 00:23:55 30/11/2018
Original version is much better, I honestly don't know what they were thinking with the weird techno synths in the new version, where the original version had those cute chimes and such. I feel like this was an example of changing the song just to say they changed it rather than to improve it in any way.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Radiance Emerald Sparx Gems: 3950
#6 Posted: 01:42:16 30/11/2018
I'm listening to both at the same time, what an experience!
---
Love is a gift.. Cherish it!
3godzilla3 Green Sparx Gems: 185
#7 Posted: 03:30:52 30/11/2018
To be completely honest, I think both are great. However, I prefer the original, if only because the main instrument is just way better. I did appreciate their attempt on this one!

Also, you have no idea how much it means to me that you're using the video I uploaded for the Reignited track! Thank you so much for that, the entire soundtrack with all dynamics is on my channel. (:
---
"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." - Philippians 4:13
#8 Posted: 04:03:32 30/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: 3godzilla3
To be completely honest, I think both are great. However, I prefer the original, if only because the main instrument is just way better. I did appreciate their attempt on this one!

Also, you have no idea how much it means to me that you're using the video I uploaded for the Reignited track! Thank you so much for that, the entire soundtrack with all dynamics is on my channel. (:

No problem! You're the only one who has the individual tracks in full.

Also godzilla, I know I asked you before and you have them uploaded already, but would you consider uploading the original soundtrack from Reignited? Because the rips we have now are the PS1 rips which do have compression and I don't think anyone's ripped the original soundtrack from Reignited yet.

Don't have to do it right now, of course smilie
---
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#9 Posted: 07:29:11 30/11/2018
Oh man, it never crossed my mind that the original tracks in Reignited are uncompressed and will thus sound even better than they already did in the old games.
Now I’m even more excited to replay the trilogy while listening to them!

Regarding Artisans’ theme, even though I think the new one fits the remade level quite well I’ll still go with the classic one in terms of the track itself.
The deep and strong percussions mixed with the softer ones and the chimes manage to give both an “epic” but whimsical and light feeling to it which I think fits perfectly the begin of a great adventure filled with exploration and wonder.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:48:24 30/11/2018 by Drek95
#10 Posted: 17:33:57 30/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Moving along to the the first world I think everyone does, Stone Hill!

Original:

Reignited:
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:34:50 30/11/2018 by JCW555
#11 Posted: 17:47:39 30/11/2018
Definitely my first world everytime I play.

Even though the original track will always have a special place in my heart, I feel it almost sounds too mysterious and “ominous” at times for a peaceful place like Stone Hill.
The remade track has much more rythm and I feel like it captures the joyful green fields frolicking better while still mantaining the core of its inspiration.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:48:01 30/11/2018 by Drek95
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#12 Posted: 19:31:53 30/11/2018
honestly, Stonehill had one of the weakest tracks in the original game. I feel like the new one is slightly improved since, it actually sounds like music now where the old one kind of just sounded like ambience.
#13 Posted: 19:59:43 30/11/2018
I'll be honest guys, the uncompressed original soundtrack that they used for Reignited is NOWHERE near as good as how they used to sound in the original games. There's just something about it that doesn't sound right...that being said, I see no reason to record the uncompressed OST used in Reignited. Sorry about that! The old compressed music sounds way better. xD

As for Stone Hill, I actually REALLY like the remastered version. I think I find it better than the original, if only by a little bit.
---
#14 Posted: 20:21:25 30/11/2018
I strongly hope that it’s just an impression either caused by a bit of nostalgia or which has something to do with your audio system, because while I could understand it sounding different (just like Crash’s uncompressed themes) I hardly doubt it could be worse.

We are most likely just not used to them, but this is basiclly how those tracks were supposed to sound in Copeland’s head and how he and the Insomniac crew heard them before compressing it for the games.
Unless he composed them with the compression already in mind, but I’m trying to not consider that option because I childishly want them to sound as great in Reignited. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#15 Posted: 03:03:40 01/12/2018
Quote: Drek95
I strongly hope that it’s just an impression either caused by a bit of nostalgia or which has something to do with your audio system, because while I could understand it sounding different (just like Crash’s uncompressed themes) I hardly doubt it could be worse.

We are most likely just not used to them, but this is basiclly how those tracks were supposed to sound in Copeland’s head and how he and the Insomniac crew heard them before compressing it for the games.
Unless he composed them with the compression already in mind, but I’m trying to not consider that option because I childishly want them to sound as great in Reignited. smilie

I can tell you for sure that it's not nostalgia. I just straight up like how they sound in the original games a lot more. Like I said, it's very hard to explain why. Also, my audio system is just fine, so that can't be it. xD Who knows, maybe it is something I just have to get used to.
---
#16 Posted: 21:26:26 01/12/2018 | Topic Creator
On to Spyro's first spooky world, Dark Hollow!

Original:

Reignited:
---
#17 Posted: 14:40:34 02/12/2018
Even though I appreciate how they tried to make the Reignited track sound even more chilled and atmospheric, I think it’s a bit too quiet now.

Still great, but I prefer the original one which wasn’t afraid of sounding slightly louder and having stronger electric guitars and percussions to contrast with how seemingly calm the environment looked.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:44:16 02/12/2018 by Drek95
#18 Posted: 00:47:02 04/12/2018 | Topic Creator
Next up, Town Square!

Original:

Reignited:
---
#19 Posted: 01:10:22 04/12/2018
Have to say they sound so similar it’s hard to decide, but the rumbling at the beginning of the original track and the fact its instruments sound somehow more authentic (especially the drums and bongos) make me prefer it over the new one.

Still, I’m amazed by how well they managed to capture the feeling of the track, and the second part is absolutely spot-on.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me