Page 1 of 1
Things in this game that matured.
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#1 Posted: 20:52:16 28/11/2018 | Topic Creator
People how this game removed a lot of the darker elements like guns and the fact that the Colossus monk who told you he thinks you should "kill" the yeti now says you should simply torch him, and yet I don't know. Has everything gotten more childish?

One thing I noticed that has matured a bit is the gem cutters. The original game they had this high-pitched voice that was fairly innocent, but could also come off as sickeningly childish. They changed the voice in reignited, and now it doesn't sound so cutesy. This could arguably be a good or bad thing depending on your opinion of the original gem cutters, but if you hated that immature high-pitched voice of theirs, then it's actually a nice mature change.

I am also anticipating the post magma cone epilogue. Does the Faun still casually murder one of his friends by pushing him into the lava?
Because in the Colossus epilogue, the student still crushes his master without any indication that the master was all right.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#2 Posted: 21:01:25 28/11/2018
They didn't really mature the Gem Cutters. The first one you meet has a very similar voice to the original but the others are all different. This is because in every Spyro 2 and 3 world, each individual NPC has their own unique voice for the dialogue now. Some of the Gem Cutters having deeper voices is just a side effect of that. It's a good change but it doesn't inherently mature things.

As for the Magma Cone ending...

They changed it. Instead of it just being heartless murder, it's an accident now. Two fauns do a belly bump, then another pair see that, do a belly bump, but one falls into the volcano from the recoil.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#3 Posted: 21:46:16 28/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: sonicbrawler182
They didn't really mature the Gem Cutters. The first one you meet has a very similar voice to the original but the others are all different. This is because in every Spyro 2 and 3 world, each individual NPC has their own unique voice for the dialogue now. Some of the Gem Cutters having deeper voices is just a side effect of that. It's a good change but it doesn't inherently mature things.

As for the Magma Cone ending...

They changed it. Instead of it just being heartless murder, it's an accident now. Two fauns do a belly bump, then another pair see that, do a belly bump, but one falls into the volcano from the recoil.

I noticed that the initial gem-cutter had a similar voice too, but part of me felt like I was just hearing things because when you talk to that seem gem-cutter at the end of the level upon clearing it, he has that voice, but if you talk to him after the portal opens up, his voice changes to the other voice, so I had a feeling I might have just been hearing things.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#4 Posted: 23:29:51 28/11/2018
Magma Cone’s epilogue spoilers:

I was fine with Magna Cone’s epilogue, as I’ve never understood why the fauns were such jerks and that part was simply never fun for me.
I get that it was Insomniac’s sense of humor, but I’m glad it’s different now.

I also noticed other “mean” parts removed from the first and last cutscenes’ of Gateway to Glimmer’s levels:
- one of the Electrolls in Hurricos’ epilogue doesn’t slap the other at the end, like it did in the original one;
- no turtle chases the Waterworker with the electric stick at the end of Sunny Beach’s entry cutscene;
- the Landblubber’s explosion at the end of Zephyr’s entry cutscene is “censored” by a Looney Tunes-like fade-out;
- the oversized hippo at the end of Shady Oasis’ epilogue still pushes the fruit, but the way the camera is set doesn’t let you see he’s doing it to try and blame another hippo for eating all the fruits;
- the Snail Elephants don’t run over the Water Wizard at the end of Mystic Marsh’s entry cutscene, who instead runs away.
-

No idea why they changed those when they had no problems letting a faun being squashed by a lava rock.

There is a video comparing the old and new cutscenes, but I can’t find it.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#5 Posted: 03:53:40 29/11/2018
I don't know, does humor really need to be explained? Magma Cone's outro was funny because it was just out of the blue, but TFB felt the need to explain it when it really didn't need it? Same with Hurricos' outro. I loved the random slap to the back of the head. Maybe it's because I love slapstick and old school cartoons ala Tom & Jerry that didn't feel the need to explain slapstick, but IDK.

I like the new intros/outros, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't quite have the humor like the originals.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 03:55:22 29/11/2018 by JCW555
#6 Posted: 10:09:49 29/11/2018
I guess it’s a matter of personal tastes.
I love slapstick and nonsense as well, but Magma Cones’ outro always felt too random to be funny unlike all the other moments mentioned above.

I would have preferred if they kept the humor as it was, but aside from the few cut parts (like Hurricos and Shady Oasis) I’m ok with their choices.
Some outros and intros’s sense changed quite a lot due to other different parts, however, and that’s what I’m less keen about.

Aquaria Towers’ outro: the camera immediately reveals the second robot shark isn’t a fake one, thus removing a lot of the surprise element and greately weakening the joke.
It’s still there, but less effective, in my opinion.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#7 Posted: 11:44:59 29/11/2018
Quote: Drek95

I found it! smilie

---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
#8 Posted: 14:06:51 29/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: JCW555
I don't know, does humor really need to be explained? Magma Cone's outro was funny because it was just out of the blue, but TFB felt the need to explain it when it really didn't need it? Same with Hurricos' outro. I loved the random slap to the back of the head. Maybe it's because I love slapstick and old school cartoons ala Tom & Jerry that didn't feel the need to explain slapstick, but IDK.

I like the new intros/outros, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't quite have the humor like the originals.

It's kind of a niche brand of humor though. I personally don't find just random attacks on others to be humorous. Plus as we age, so does our sense of humor. I thought nothing of the magma cone murder when I was a kid, but I'm actually rather shocked seen it today.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#9 Posted: 14:18:12 29/11/2018
The joke that they censored that I'm most upset by was...

In the original Spyro 2, if you had enough gems to pay Moneybags to open Icy Speedway, but refused to pay him anyway, he'd respond by basically accusing Spyro of spending his gems on "favours" from the faun girls in Fracture Hills, and says "you always were a sucker for a pretty face, Spyro".

In Reignited, Moneybags accuses him of spending the gems on "frivolous fancies" from Fracture Hills, and says "you always were a spendthrifter, Spyro".

The original version was one of my favourite jokes, but I also just think the new version is stupid and doesn't make any sense. What "frivolous fancies" (i.e souvenirs) are there to spend your gems on in Fracture Hills? There's no shops there, lol.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3900
#10 Posted: 19:08:07 29/11/2018
Spyro 1 Censorship
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but they did censor the mooning gnorcs in Peace Keepers. Not sure I would want to see an HD gnorc booty, but it was a little piece of humor that I enjoyed when I discovered it in the originals. Very 90s sort of thing, though...

Despite all of the gun removals, I did notice that the gnorcs in dry canyon still have guns. Albeit more cartoony guns, but guns nonetheless, so I wonder exactly what the censoring rules at TFB were.
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
#11 Posted: 19:19:23 29/11/2018
Quote: ThunderEgg
Spyro 1 Censorship
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, but they did censor the mooning gnorcs in Peace Keepers. Not sure I would want to see an HD gnorc booty, but it was a little piece of humor that I enjoyed when I discovered it in the originals. Very 90s sort of thing, though...

Despite all of the gun removals, I did notice that the gnorcs in dry canyon still have guns. Albeit more cartoony guns, but guns nonetheless, so I wonder exactly what the censoring rules at TFB were.

Well...
I wouldn’t call it a censorship, they simply didn’t bother to model a super defined bottom and for the better, probably.

I’m just glad they didn’t remove the enimation entirely or made those Gnorcs wear underpants.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#12 Posted: 19:30:21 30/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Honestly it, with all they changed, I'd say this game still has a lot more charm than just about anything else these days.
#13 Posted: 19:49:13 30/11/2018
Quote: MugoUrth
Honestly it, with all they changed, I'd say this game still has a lot more charm than just about anything else these days.

Yes! Most games are shooter or open world action games these days. It's so boring! Games like Spyro are shining like a diamond and stand out from the masses
---
#14 Posted: 19:57:50 30/11/2018 | Topic Creator
oh, and while I wouldn't say this is something mature in the game per se, have you ever seen their art for Spyro 1 Spyro, especially in my options screen? If you look behind the spiral Silhouettes head and between the tail, looks like there is a hand flipping you off in the silhouette.
#15 Posted: 20:16:29 30/11/2018
0___0
---
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7699
#16 Posted: 03:16:53 02/12/2018
Quote: XSparxX

I found it! smilie

they could've made that lollipop look a little more enticing though, especially since Handel seems like the smarter twin now as opposed to Greta in the original (I only think this because he can pronounce his R's now and Greta still can't)
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
#17 Posted: 12:48:20 02/12/2018 | Topic Creator
I would have preferred if they kept the humor as it was, but aside from the few cut parts (like Hurricos and Shady Oasis) I’m ok with their choices.

Okay, I just had to watch the video to find out what the heck they needed to censor in any of the Shady Oasis scenes. What do!? That joke was actually funny! It wasn't even that dark or cruel!
In the original, two of the hippo boys find one of their friends has eaten all the fruit, and then that hippo rolls the fruit over to another hippo as a way to blame him. In the remake, this is partially removed. He just rolls the fruit away from the camera, and there's no other hippo to blame. It wasn't even dark, I don't get why they needed to change this. I get everything else, but not this.
Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
#18 Posted: 04:46:46 04/12/2018
One thing I thought was kind of funny/interesting was the way the monsters were redesigned in Dark Passage.

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler, but I'm shoving it under a spoiler warning just in case.

Anyway, in the original game, the demon dogs, when the light was turned on, were very cute looking little puppies, with happy smiles on their faces and big eyes. In the reignited version, they're much "meaner" looking, they look like deranged little terrier/bulldog things with an underbite and notched ears and a kind of menacing expression.

BUT, funny enough, the turtles on the other hand? In the original version their "dark" forms were TERRIFYING, at least as a kid. Like, they were what scared me as a child more than anything else - They're invincible, giant, almost-black metal things with huge fangs and glowing red eyes. In the reignited version, they're much, much goofier looking, their color is way lightened up, their red eyes and fangs are removed, etc.

It's a really funny decision to me, and although it isn't the direction I would have gone, I will say that Dark Passage was one of my favorite levels to replay, it was super super fun altogether so clearly the redesigns didn't ruin it for me lol.
---
I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
#19 Posted: 02:57:43 08/12/2018 | Topic Creator
Now that I think of it, they did make the Gnorcs less cute in this game. To be honest, I feel like it works for Gnasty Gnorc, but I actually missed the cuter enemy is from the original. I feel like they had more charm to them. And what about the ones in Dragon Shores? Do they still look ugly like the rest of them, or do they look cuter and more like the original? I haven't gotten that far yet.
#20 Posted: 20:28:36 09/12/2018
I agree. I miss the cute gnorc enemies, too. Although, they did get scarier near the end of the original game when they got guns.
---
Archae Emerald Sparx Gems: 4182
#21 Posted: 05:27:26 13/12/2018
Two "updates" I found:

In "Enchanted Towers," the artist is carrying a latte.

In "Bentley's Outpost," Bentley's little brother is carrying a cell phone.
---
Gunter glieben glauten globen...
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#22 Posted: 19:50:37 14/12/2018
Pfft, in Enchanted Towers the NPCs are hipsters. Don't like the deviation from the original characters ... but eh, I see why they've done it. It's pretty smart and creative, actually, considering the original characters' dialogues.

One thing I'm SUPER MAD ABOUT THOUGH IS
BLOODY JULIET. They completely missed the joke. Why did they feel the need to give Juliet a super feminine voice? It's not even a joke anymore. To be honest, I feel like TfB completely ruined Zephyr (cowleks, Little Bow Peep, Juliet ...) but that's just me.

Also ...
They got rid of the two fauns sitting together in the tunnel of love. I'm so very very disappointed. >:(
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#23 Posted: 19:57:51 14/12/2018
Quote: Sesshomaru75
I never liked Zephyr to begin with, but Reignited made me actually like the level, so... (The cowleks are pretty poo poo, though)

Same. The original level looked ugly and boring. I love Reignited version of Zephyr. Its one of my favorite Spyro 2 levels now.
---
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#24 Posted: 20:54:51 14/12/2018
Oh no I actually love the scenery and visuals! Gosh, they improved in that so much! I just mean, they completely ruined the characterisation ( for me at least ;p ).
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:55:38 14/12/2018 by Bolt
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#25 Posted: 18:05:54 15/12/2018
Quote: Sesshomaru75
I never liked Zephyr to begin with, but Reignited made me actually like the level, so... (The cowleks are pretty poo poo, though)

....ive always wanted cowlek plushies ;;
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#26 Posted: 23:20:13 19/12/2018
Apparently this was changed too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spyro...iginal_quote_i/

[User Posted Image]

Original quote was "I bet you spent it all on those Flirtatious Fawns in Fracture Hills. You always were a sucker for a pretty face.”
---
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7699
#27 Posted: 00:14:47 20/12/2018
Quote: JCW555
Apparently this was changed too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spyro...iginal_quote_i/

[User Posted Image]

Original quote was "I bet you spent it all on those Flirtatious Fawns in Fracture Hills. You always were a sucker for a pretty face.”

Oh **** no way, I loved Moneybags' original line smilie

Also, I noticed this when I started YOTD last week-Bianca used to say "our expertly trained army will dispose of you and take them back". Now it's "hunt you down and take them back"
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
#28 Posted: 00:37:00 20/12/2018 | Topic Creator
I agree. I miss the cute gnorc enemies, too. Although, they did get scarier near the end of the original game when they got guns.

I like to think of a remade Twilight Harbor Gunners as if they are carrying chemical shooting guns instead of paint guns, which if you think of it that way, they are arguably more dangerous. Plus, instead of grenades, the big guys throw giant kegs of explosives!
Skyhunter Diamond Sparx Gems: 8923
#29 Posted: 02:18:06 20/12/2018

I like to think of a remade Twilight Harbor Gunners as if they are carrying chemical shooting guns instead of paint guns, which if you think of it that way, they are arguably more dangerous. Plus, instead of grenades, the big guys throw giant kegs of explosives!

I like to imagine that they changed the grenades to powder kegs to keep the "barrels" theme from Gnorc Cove going. Also, I like the "chemical guns" idea too smilie
---
It doesn't matter if the bars are iron or gold, a cage is a cage.
Clank Emerald Sparx Gems: 4260
#30 Posted: 02:20:48 20/12/2018
The chemical guns thing is actually canon! I don't remember for sure which interview it was - I think it was Achievement Hunter's from before release? - but TFB confirmed that the goo in the guns is actually the same as the goo that harms Spyro when he falls into it.
---
"*runs around like a headless gnorc*" ~Jaggedstar©
#31 Posted: 02:43:55 20/12/2018
I still don't like it regardless if it's paint or chemicals, but man, TFB didn't convey it well because I've watched so many reviewers call them paint guns/goo guns.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:45:44 20/12/2018 by JCW555
madibart Blue Sparx Gems: 511
#32 Posted: 16:19:48 07/01/2019
People how this game removed a lot of the darker elements like guns and the fact that the Colossus monk who told you he thinks you should "kill" the yeti now says you should simply torch him, and yet I don't know. Has everything gotten more childish?

One thing I noticed that has matured a bit is the gem cutters. The original game they had this high-pitched voice that was fairly innocent, but could also come off as sickeningly childish. They changed the voice in reignited, and now it doesn't sound so cutesy. This could arguably be a good or bad thing depending on your opinion of the original gem cutters, but if you hated that immature high-pitched voice of theirs, then it's actually a nice mature change.

I am also anticipating the post magma cone epilogue. Does the Faun still casually murder one of his friends by pushing him into the lava?
Because in the Colossus epilogue, the student still crushes his master without any indication that the master was all right.

Just so everyone is clear, the Faun in Magma Cone does not casually murder one of his friends. He saw the other Fauns high five and wanted to high five his friend. He hits him a little hard and ends up knocking him into the lava by accident. He does try to cover it up by pushing the hat into the lava though.
This was actually quite a point of contention between some people at Insomniac (who saw it the way you did) and myself. They were really wanting me to change it but I liked it the way it was.
Oh, by the way, I was the one directed all of these cinematics. smilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me