darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: Reignited Trilogy > Recent issues I have noticed this game's release has caused...
Page 1 of 1
Recent issues I have noticed this game's release has caused...
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#1 Posted: 22:33:18 26/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Don't get me wrong, I think this game's release is a great thing and am liking it so far (only got to Spyro 1 because busy). However, I am seeing a lot of hate for other games and versions of Spyro brought out with it from Spyro 'fans'.

I've noticed this is mostly on YouTube, most specifically from YouTubers. There is a current trend to take other past Spyro games and hate on them just for not being the original 3. Entire videos that are really poorly constructed are being made purely based around this. These videos are coming from people who claim to be fans of Spyro but have never touched anything outside of the PS1 games. I know you can't define what makes someone a 'fan' but it doesn't sit quite right with me, making direct comparisons and expecting games that came out years after the first 3 to be exactly the same is pointless (excluding Reignited because that's the point).

One particular video has put The Eternal Night in a list of 'worst video games ever' purely for being different to the originals (and 'too hard'), and they never played any further than the first dream tutorial.
AntDude's recent video's have honestly annoyed me too. Virtually nothing positive was said. Despite him claiming he went in with an open mind, he clearly didn't and was jumping on a hate wagon. There are many fans disagreeing in the comments which I'm honestly pleased to see.

I don't think this "it's not the originals so it's bad!" hate wagon is good for the future of the Spyro series. It's almost preparing these sorts of fans for more things to hate and may prevent the future development of new games.

Anyway, if you want decent videos about all Spyro games that aren't jumping on a hate wagon watch Toridori.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:38:45 26/11/2018 by Ice Dragoness
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 22:53:25 26/11/2018
If someone says they're playing with an open mind in the same breath they say the original games are perfect/the standard for every plataformer ever without a hint of "they're flawed but I love them", then they're probably just saying that so you'll keep watching.

Blundertails have one weakness and have a huge hitbox to be squashed after, god

But yes, this is kinda breeding a bit of extreme feelings that nothing will ever top the originals, AGAIN. Even if TFB gets the Future Tense philosophy and makes an entire game that works with older gameplay, someone will still get biased for knowing it's not Insomniac's game design.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:05:23 26/11/2018 by Bifrost
theuone Platinum Sparx Gems: 6184
#3 Posted: 22:56:28 26/11/2018
I agree completely, though Reignited's release didn't cause this, it's been one of the Spyro fandom's longest running problems. And yeah, Toridori's good person to watch.
---
On board Spyro Reignited hype, Choo choo!
Thanks to BlackWing116 for the Chimera drawing
Metaphorical phantom here, Blame everything lol.
#4 Posted: 23:16:40 26/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
If someone says they're playing with an open mind in the same breath they say the original games are perfect without a hint of "they're flawed but I love them", then they're probably just saying that so you'll keep watching.

Blundertails have one weakness and have a huge hitbox to be squashed after, god

But yes, this is kinda breeding a bit of extreme feelings that nothing will ever top the originals, AGAIN. Even if TFB gets the Future Tense philosophy and makes an entire game that works with older gameplay, someone will still get biased for knowing it's not Insomniac's game design.

I have to reply he has disrespected 12 year old me lol

His poor gameplay strategy of TEN contradicts his claim that it's exactly the same mechanics as ANB. Hint: it's not, it's similar but it's harder and requires more strategy. That's why you keep dying Ant Man, you're playing wrong. ANB is button mashing with its 'first game syndrome', but not TEN. If it's 'too hard' for you it won't be enjoyable. Blundertails aren't far enough into the game either, he missed out on so much story. No mention of the music either which is so good for a game.

He also basically admitted to liking DOTD but had to add in he hates that too for a full hatred of all the trilogy
#5 Posted: 23:20:23 26/11/2018
DOTD is mind-numbingly easy at times and then sometimes it just pulls the rug from under you for no reason. Here's a lesson for anyone marathoning the series... Don't... Waste your mana against the two Trolls in Burned Lands. There's two more coming.

But yeah this whole thing is a big summary of how the genwunner bias goes if you let it run unchecked. One changed too much, the other changed too little, I'm not going to put any effort because the entire time I'm thinking of how much I want to play the originals. Guess what, if you don't want to do the review, people can tell. AHT's eggs don't unlock something only at 100%, it's every 10 eggs of the same type god dammit I don't even like the game that much and I still went for all the easy Concept Art and Ember eggs.

On a positive note, do your research, and it's tons of fun for everyone even if you don't like it. Here's another Toridori recommendation because of that.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 23:32:30 26/11/2018 by Bifrost
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3912
#6 Posted: 23:27:16 26/11/2018
WHY CAN'T WE JUST ALL AGREE THAT SPYRO IS GREAT REGARDLESS OF WHAT SERIES IT IS?!

I AM SO TIRED OF HATE FOR ETN BECAUSE THAT IS MY FAVORITE TLOS GAME. Please. People who don't like it are fine, but please don't act like I'm an ignorant fool for enjoying a game you find to be difficult or un-fun. Different people have unique playstyles. I love ETN for the story and mood of the game. Heck, I love the time mechanic that was introduced.

I saw AntDude's video, too. His opinion is 100% legit. But that's just it: HIS OPINION! People have to remember to come to their own conclusions on things based off of their own interactions with the products. Don't just agree with things because they're popular! You'll lose your sense of individuality! It's only natural to go along with the crowd due to the way society is structured. I do it. Everyone does it. I say be your own person as long as you remember to treat ALL people with equality, love, and respect. There are some things that need to be stood up for.

And yes, I've seen a lot of hate in our community for Skylanders or anything non-OG. I get it! I feel scared and threatened when I feel that the original games are being forgotten, too; but that is no excuse to abuse others! That feeling happens in EVERY fandom, though. Every aspect of life. It's natural progression; and obviously the OG games haven't been forgotten. I mean, look at Reignited! It's brought back interest in the OG play style, and has made Spyro as an individual character relevant once more.

Don't know how to end this rant... Umm.

LET'S JUST ALL REMEMBER THAT EVERY SPYRO IS A COOL DUDE!
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#7 Posted: 23:36:07 26/11/2018
Spyro fandom got toxic like the Sonic fandom.
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#8 Posted: 23:43:12 26/11/2018
It's mostly just a honeymoon phase with the Reignited Trilogy. You can't like anything past the original three or Reignited, but if you dare say anything critical of Reignited, then "how ****ing dare you", despite the fact Reignited has a ton of obvious flaws whether they be all of the bugs, mechanics that were unnecessarily nerfed or changed compared to the originals (like how Sparx gem grabbing works like Spyro 1 across all of Reignited instead of making it like the original Spyro 2 and 3 across the board), or the many changes that take away from the tone and charm of certain levels and characters. It's not a perfect game by any means. But people are treating it as if it were just because of some kind of brand loyalty, or fear that criticism will send Activision a message not to make another one. It's never enough to just like a game yourself and be done with it, these days people feel the need to have their cake and eat it too, trying to make sure everyone is excited for the exact same thing.

We see this with so many games these days, we live in this age of hype and extreme mindsets where you can only completely love or completely hate something. And if you fall somewhere in the middle, then too bad, we'll lump you into the love or hate camp by default. People also find the need to bring something else down in order to hype something up, which is kinda what's going on with Reignited and the post-Insomniac games here. We saw the same with Crash N. Sane Trilogy, Sonic Mania, Smash Ultimate, Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, and so many other recent entries in long running franchises. It's been a running trend for a while now. Mostly because game companies themselves are trying to cash-in hard on nostalgia these days. We're basically in the Shin 90's right now.

As far as AntDude's video goes, his LoS video bothered me when it came to the DotD section. He said outright he was actually quite enjoying the game, acknowledged that he liked the combat mechanics in this one, but then implied that he dropped the game on the fourth chapter just because it was an action-focused level with a lot of combat (the very same combat he said he was enjoying). His wording also implied the rest of the game was like that which is just wrong. It's just horrible writing and review practice, and I'm still not sure if he finished the game or dropped it. At least with TEN he made it clear that he mostly disliked the game and dropped it because it wasn't getting better for him, but his stance on DotD is just outright confusing.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#9 Posted: 01:52:13 27/11/2018
I agree with everything above, but the very opposite can be said as well.

Speaking about extremes, I think that playing a game with the purpose of pointing out its various glitches, bugs and imperfections (seen way too many videos like that, recently) is equally ponintless and frankly a bit sad: did we really forgot how to enjoy something without bashing nor idolizing it?

I personally try to always get the most out of my expriences, whether they are books, movies or videogames, which doesn’t mean I ignore the various subjective and objective issues I come across: I simply try to enjoy whatever it is while it lasts and then think back to what I liked and disliked.
Unless the problem is so big it actively ruins my enjoyment, of course.

In Reignited case, I played the entirety of the first and second game including Skill Points (will get the Trophies later on) and only came across one annoying bug which was easily fixed by dying once (still doesn’t excuse its existence); all the other “problems” I had were either with the redesigns or with some unpolished stuff.
On the other hand I re-lived two of my favorite games remade from scratch with an incredible amount of passion and attention to details to a level I could have never hoped for: non-realistic lighting to recreate certain atmospheres, different animations for every single NPC’s dialogue, unique designs for previously reused and slightly altered models and that’s just to name a few features which I’ve rarelly seen even in other AAA titles.
All of this made me constantly smile not only because of the “nostalgia effect”, but also because I sincerely couldn’t believe someone would have gone that far for a remake.

So unless something terrible happens during Year of the Dragon (which I already started and am currently enjoying quite a lot), my personal opionion on the game is a very positive one and just couldn’t be different.
Does this mean the game is perfect?
Not at all, in fact a lot could be improved and I sincerely hope the various bugs people found out and adressed will eventually be fixed by TfB.

My point is that I’d rather watch an articulated and lenghty video which considers both the strenghts and flaws, highlighting and discussing them equally rather than some 10 minutes ones long consisting only of debatable positive and negative rankings.
Which is why I greately prefer talking here, where we can all share our opinions extensively.

Sorry in advance if this isn’t as clear as it should be, I already wrote it down previously but the text got cancelled and I had to re-write it from memory: hope the message is at least conveyed correctly.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#10 Posted: 02:35:46 27/11/2018
Quote:
Speaking about extremes, I think that playing a game with the purpose of pointing out its various glitches, bugs and imperfections (seen way too many videos like that, recently) is equally ponintless and frankly a bit sad: did we really forgot how to enjoy something without bashing nor idolizing it?

I'm going to have to entirely disagree with this. Unfortunately, we live in a day and age where QA testers don't get to fully do their job, or simply don't do it properly. That's why so many games come out in buggy and broken states these days (on top of them being more complex). If players didn't look for bugs and demand they be fixed, SO many games would be left in these broken states.

And to be honest, most of the bugs and what not that myself and many other people have encountered WEREN'T being looked for. They just happened out of the blue. Which tells me that the game is quite unstable.

It sucks, but unfortunately, we just don't live in those simple times anymore, with the exception of maybe good indie games. So many games launch as unfinished products that need to be fixed, and they aren't always fixed. Reignited Trilogy honestly served as a pretty depressing reminder of how things have changed. With the original Spyro games, it was simple, we popped the disc in, it worked, and the games were mostly pretty polished and quite stable. That's not the case with Reignited Trilogy. There is a huge patch to download before you can fully play it, it's unstable, it's got crashes and save corruption, and we need to wait for things to get fixed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the game is horrible, there's so much in it that I prefer to the original games when the game is working properly, but to act like people are looking for reasons to bash the game is silly. We all want it to be the best game it can be and that's why we have to start figuring out why stuff breaks and hopefully reporting it will get the game fixed, because the QA testers clearly didn't have the time to do so. It's just how games are these days, they literally force us to be more critical.

And if we don't, well, look no further than Bethesda.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Hardback247 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1074
#11 Posted: 04:34:33 27/11/2018
We know it will get a patch or two at some point, like any major game does nowadays.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:35:13 27/11/2018 by Hardback247
#12 Posted: 13:37:40 27/11/2018
*cough* Nier Automata on pc *cough*

QA usually finds these bugs, it's higher ups or rest of the team that decide not to fix or leave it to a patch. And considering the trilogy was rushed so bad they had to bring in an extra team, it's a shame a remake ended up more unstable.

HOWEVER, the bugs aren't the problem. The problem is holding games on such a high standard that you can't say they're flawed even if you love them, or putting down other games for not reaching that standard when none had the budget or the publisher's trust that the OG games had(compartively; they were probably cheaper because of the smaller team).
---
Gharlant Green Sparx Gems: 479
#13 Posted: 16:25:36 27/11/2018
I don't see the problem. Haters gonna hate, if someone doesn't like the Legend trilogy then that's their problem. I'm just gonna keep on enjoying whatever games I want to and not let anyone's opinion bother me.
ECDT1089 Blue Sparx Gems: 735
#14 Posted: 22:59:07 27/11/2018
Personally, and this is coming from someone who grew up with the classic trilogy, I don't understand all the hate for the Legend of Spyro series. Back then, I welcomed new ideas for the Spyro franchise, and the LOS trilogy was it. I enjoyed those three games wholeheartedly! I never realized there was so much hate for those games til a couple years after Dawn of the Dragon was released.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:01:11 27/11/2018 by ECDT1089
#15 Posted: 00:38:06 28/11/2018
Quote: ECDT1089
Personally, and this is coming from someone who grew up with the classic trilogy, I don't understand all the hate for the Legend of Spyro series. Back then, I welcomed new ideas for the Spyro franchise, and the LOS trilogy was it. I enjoyed those three games wholeheartedly! I never realized there was so much hate for those games til a couple years after Dawn of the Dragon was released.

You are a blessed soul eternally worthy of love and affection.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:38:22 28/11/2018 by ThunderEgg
#16 Posted: 10:14:52 28/11/2018

I just realized the hate now thanks to the 'fans' which are came back to the fandom because of Reignited ... Those people are hating everything that's not OT.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:15:29 28/11/2018 by XSparxX
#17 Posted: 18:41:38 28/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: XSparxX

I just realized the hate now thanks to the 'fans' which are came back to the fandom because of Reignited ... Those people are hating everything that's not OT.

I was active when LOS was being released and it wasn't that hated, it had many fans and you couldn't get away from it on DeviantArt.

The people who newly hate LOS have never played them before. They left Spyro at Enter The Dragonfly and never came back until Reignited. I think they're mostly a completely different group of people to long time Spyro fans, which is why it annoys me when they think they represent all Spyro fans and claim LOS is hated when it wasn't at the time.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:43:40 28/11/2018 by Ice Dragoness
#18 Posted: 19:42:47 28/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: Sesshomaru75
I'm pretty sure that not all of the people who hate on the trilogy "have never played them before". Seems like a way to try and dodge the trilogy's numerous legitimate criticisms there.

I myself don't particularly care for the trilogy anymore and am happy that it died, and that's coming from someone who used to like the first two games quite a bit when I was a child.
And the trilogy did have decent amounts of hate back when it came out, but it probably grew considerably over time when people realized how flawed and unnecessary of a reboot it was.

It's perfectly fine if one enjoys the trilogy, as I myself still get some enjoyment out of ANB and TEN despite my many issues with them, but that doesn't mean that at least some of the hate that the trilogy gets isn't deserved.
Does it mean that I necessarily agree with ragging on people that enjoy it? Of course not. But I do find it strange to see people (Many of whom are adults now) still hold it on a pedestal ten years later when it was never that good to begin with. smilie

I'm referring to the new hate bandwagon really. I know there were people who didn't like it back then, but the fans outnumbered them for sure.

I remember reading that if Spyro wasn't rebooted then Shadow Legacy would have been the last game. We probably wouldn't have had Reignited, as LOS did bring in a lot of new fans.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#19 Posted: 19:52:59 28/11/2018
Honestly, I wouldn't take Antdude's criticisms to hard. His reviews always come off as pandery, and honestly....Antdude himself seems a bit.....dim witted in general.

While I have strongly mixed opinions on the LoS series as a whole, I think it'd be flat out better simply if it wasn't Spyro, and instead had just an original character. Not to say it'd be 100% better, but it at the very least wouldn't get the heat from that side of the Spyro fandom.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:07:04 28/11/2018 by HeyitsHotDog
#20 Posted: 20:50:27 28/11/2018
Sooo many people in social media have come out with their love of Spyro having never heard of LOS and only Skylanders because of the hatedom. I get dropping out of the series, but you're not getting any prizes for not looking at news to begin with, nor does it justify harassing people who stuck through it all regardless of liking the games or not.
---
#21 Posted: 22:41:24 28/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Honestly if Skylanders Spyro didn't have such a universally disliked design in the earlier games I don't think they'd be hated. I have the first three Skylanders games and they are good fun. Really popular with my brother and his friends when they were kids.

If Spyro was prettier and had a more major role I think it would be praised. It offered a half-way between classic and LOS.

Cynder didn't get an ugly redesign like Spyro. I wonder if they regret designing him as they did.
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#22 Posted: 23:33:47 28/11/2018
I must admit, I haven't played many of the legend games, so I don't have much of an opinion, but I did play a new beginning and... I kind of got bored with it right away. that being said, I don't consider myself a genwunner. I actually quite like a heroes tail, And I'm a huge fan of the Skylanders franchise. When it comes to game starring nonhumans, though, I tend to be pretty forgiving because usually I like the characters in those games. That being said, while I am liking the reignited trilogy, I do have a few complaints. I'm going to mention things I dislike in the Colossus stage. I actually kind of like the monks voice acting, and see what they were going for, but that voice doesn't really work when you say "the door is open. Leave me alone. I'm trying to meditate." And it's kind of ironic that the next guy who says "how am I supposed to achieve enlightenment if you won't stop pestering me!" With a little bit of aggravation.

the hockey mini game was also kind of disappointing. The bully seems less competent, the crowd doesn't jeer when the enemy player comes out, the enemy players movement is incredibly stiff compared to the original game that had a lively opponent, and the opponent seems to play more defensively than offensive Lee. What the heck is the goalie doing when a score is made? There is also no sound if you score a goal in practice I either. The one thing I did like however is it that your goalie has Spyro on his jersey.

I'm not far enough in the game to tell you much else though.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#23 Posted: 02:40:40 29/11/2018
Quote: Ice Dragoness
Honestly if Skylanders Spyro didn't have such a universally disliked design in the earlier games I don't think they'd be hated. I have the first three Skylanders games and they are good fun. Really popular with my brother and his friends when they were kids.

If Spyro was prettier and had a more major role I think it would be praised. It offered a half-way between classic and LOS.

Cynder didn't get an ugly redesign like Spyro. I wonder if they regret designing him as they did.

Honestly, the fact that TFB had to state that classic Spyro is separate from Skylanders and that the two incarnations of the character are different when Reignited was first revealed is telling. Like, I remember when Skylanders' Spyro first got revealed, even non Spyro fans were like "WTF is this?", and Skyro still appears in "Top X Number Controversial Video Game Character Redesigns" videos/articles to this day.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:43:16 29/11/2018 by JCW555
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#24 Posted: 02:53:50 29/11/2018
Quote: JCW555
Quote: Ice Dragoness

Honestly, the fact that TFB had to state that classic Spyro is separate from Skylanders and that the two incarnations of the character are different when Reignited was first revealed is telling. Like, I remember when Skylanders' Spyro first got revealed, even non Spyro fans were like "WTF is this?", and Skyro still appears in "Top X Number Controversial Video Game Character Redesigns" videos/articles to this day.

I actually happened to like Skylanders Spyro. Earlier games he had this look to his face that made him look intimidating, like a starving animal ready to close in on its prey. I do admire the fact that they cleaned up his design and later games though, and the Incorporated him better into the imaginators story.
#25 Posted: 09:40:49 29/11/2018
The ball head will be forever a mistake, but people also ignore Skylanders Academy entirely, which fizes that, because 'lol butt selfie', something in one episode out of 39.
---
#26 Posted: 12:13:58 29/11/2018
They just should take the Skyladers Academy Spyro design for Skylanders.
Spyro is the character in Academy with the most design change in the serie and I think it's because they also thought game Skyro is ugly.
---
#27 Posted: 19:02:21 29/11/2018
I am sooo glad they revamped him for Academy. His Academy design is way more fun to draw.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me