Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > DELTARUNE - An All-Purpose Thread (Beware of Ch2 spoilers!)
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
DELTARUNE - An All-Purpose Thread (Beware of Ch2 spoilers!)
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#1 Posted: 12:44:02 01/11/2018 | Topic Creator
T̸̙͈̫͙̎̔͊́̃̑̚Ḫ̷̮̏̇͆R̸̪̰̈́̽̓̎E̵̡̦͍̾E̶̢̬̖͎͚̙̮̻̾̆̍̽̒͗̑̒ ̷̡̢̧̮̼̪̺͙́͑̕͝H̷̬̤̣͔̓̃̽̋̚Ĕ̷̡̛̠̻̜̼͈̀̾̓͘̕͝R̴̡̗̤̯̾̓̔̊̏̿Õ̶̲̠̙͎̣̼̖̊͛̑͋̉̕E̸͇̰̿͋̏̅̔͘S̶̡̧̹̥͕̥͍͚̾̇̇̿͝ ̷͚̟͍̈́̃͆̓̌͘͝͝A̸̤̱̼͙̟̻̗̓P̵̥̓͝Ṕ̶͓̽͑̂̍E̸̞͕̱̍̈́͐́̽͝Ǎ̴̳̑̅̚ͅR̵̬͐̒̽È̴͉̲̱̇D̵̢̗̏͌͂͘͝ͅ ̵̯͙͕̩͓̲̫̍̓̂̈́͝T̸̡̢̰̙̽͘Ö̶̬̹̼̭́̀ ̵̢̭̣̯̪͐͋́̀̎̊B̵̰̹̹̺̑Ą̶͍̍͋̌Ṋ̷̢̠̭̗̭̖̎͆̋̉̾I̷̠̤̩͇̣̦̣̿͋̽̇̊̒́S̴͍̝̦̭̮͂̔͂̔͜Ȟ̴͇̩̫̗̠̯͖̓̾̊͘͜ ̸̢̧̨̠͚̪̈́̌͐̽̇͂̐͝T̸͖͈̬͍̝̯̈̉́̿͝H̸̢̀͌́̉̒͒E̵͙̖̝͙̎͐̈́ ̸̧̠̣̯͔̀À̸͍̪̤͖̯ͅN̶̛̜͙͉̳̯̓̃͋̈́͝G̴̠̱̘̥̥͗ͅĘ̶͇̫̹̫͆͆̔̈́̅̑͌L̷͖͈̝̦̣̾̋Ś̷͕̰̬̱̪̉̃̊̒͋̍̐ ̸̥̪̬̜̩̩̓̐͂͌̿͌̎H̶̙͚̝͉͐̆̕Ė̴̼̣͇̍̀̀̕Ǎ̴̝͍̩̙̻̂̾̋͐V̸̡̮̣̝̞͉̄͜E̴̳͈̹̹̩̝͈̎̎͌̂̽͘̕͠Ṇ̶̛͍̬̉́̑̋̍̄̕͜

http://deltarune.com/

[User Posted Image]

Deltarune is an episodic RPG, a sister game to indie hit Undertale. Foretold by Fate, a human, a monster, and a prince from the dark, must seal the Dark Fountains and prevent the world from being covered in darkness.
But no one can choose who they are in this world, and there's a lot more hidden under the surface...

Don't forget, I'm with you in the dark...
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 10 times - Last edited at 20:45:00 20/10/2021 by Bifrost
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#2 Posted: 13:01:45 01/11/2018
Right, so... funnily enough, I just got Undertale's happy ending like, a couple of weekends ago. I played the Switch version (**** the exclusive boss, btw). I thought it was... an experience. And this was... another experience.

This game legitimately frightened me at the start with the Giygas sampling in the character creation screen (the track's called "ANOTHER HIM"). And then it just went "the choices you make don't really matter" and I was paranoid for the entire game.

I still played a pacifist, wondering if, in an ironic twist, that would get me the "worst" ending, but it looks like it's the same no matter what happens. Frankly, it seems like most people are, at the moment, freaking out more over what happened at the very start and very end of the chapter rather than the actual meat of the game. <.<;

I'll have more to say. tl;dr version is if Undertale was an Earthbound spiritual successor, then this felt more like Mother 3.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#3 Posted: 13:49:07 01/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Same, it really doubled down on the Earthbound and SMT vibes.

THAT ENDING THO

Everyone keeps saying it's an alternate universe, but I'm really not so sure. The way the text is condescending at the house but back to regular UT in the dark world, Ralsei/Asriel being dropped but Susie doesn't even say a thing about Boss Monsters, Sans acting the same as usual but having not as many fourth wall breaking dialogue... Something happened. This isn't just about being True Pacifist, Tainted Pacifist or Genocide. Something else happened between both games.

God, even the fact that the cage is stained and damaged if you inspect it before the ending. The Tainted Pacifist merch card clearly shows that Chara was trying to kill everyone in that ending, no waiting. If they're very much in (some degree of) control, then what the hell are they doing every night????
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:52:59 01/11/2018 by Bifrost
#4 Posted: 13:56:41 01/11/2018
No real idea. I've seen some crazy theories out there so far. Things like...
1) This is one of the places across space Gaster was spread to and, in arriving (as us, the player), we brought Chara with us.
2) That WAS Chara ejected... and Kris is actually a deranged monster that Chara was holding back. Because apparently a semi-popular Undertale theory is that Chara adapts to the kindness/cruelty we express as the player when playing Undertale and Chara is still the narrator even on Pacifist.
3) There's some sort of universal crash happening... and perhaps Ralsei is the key to saving Flowey in the vanilla Undertale universe.

Honestly, I just want to know if we'll be returning to the Dark World to see some of these characters in the future. The Kards guy only had, like, a couple of minutes of screen time and he seems more important than that. <.<;

---
#5 Posted: 14:46:32 01/11/2018 | Topic Creator
**** someone also made a REALLY IMPORTANT discovery about the name

Kris isn't just a genderless variation of common names, it's a type of dagger. An asymetrical dagger with patterns, to be specific, whose name means "to split"...

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:47:00 01/11/2018 by Bifrost
kardonis Platinum Sparx Gems: 6366
#6 Posted: 14:56:54 01/11/2018
Honestly the way I see it is that this is an alternate universe, like a different timeline. Specifically one where the war between monsters and humans never happened. We KNOW it can't be a direct sequel to the undertale pacifist ending because Undyne doesn't know who Alphys is at all, not to mention that Asriel is alive.

Regardless the actual game was pretty great and definitely feels like a sequel from a gameplay perspective, keeping similar mechanics but adding on to it with spells and other party members. I am kind of annoyed that exp hasn't been implemented yet, but it is just a demo.

I r8 8/8 download it now
---
I used to be THE Bowser, now I'm just an awkward girl
#7 Posted: 18:51:39 01/11/2018 | Topic Creator
God I can't stop speculating

I think one of the biggest things to put a wrench on the regular AU thing is Asriel/Ralsei. Why is he there and not on college as mentioned; why is he so young(but a teen and not a kid because of the horns) when we know he looks, um, bigger when adult; why doesn't he use fire magic like his parents anymore??

Also, one thing I remembered from UT - despite taking the human souls, Photoshop Flowey couldn't stop them from destroying his form when they rebelled against him. If a human soul is capable of acting on the will of its original owner, could this be why the use of the name Kris? Chara and Frisk fighting to control the body and not always getting over each other(Kris-as-Chara clearly spends some time struggling before throwing themselves out of bed), regardless of how they got there?

Another point is that, even if it's a "happy" AU where everyone is free and has normal-ish lives, Toriel and Asgore still divorced over something, and everyone implies this made Kris recluse, morbid and clingy. Again, we're lacking SOMETHING happening that's either how this connects to UT's story, or how things were taken from that timeline and put here.

---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 19:12:31 01/11/2018 by Bifrost
#8 Posted: 20:38:35 01/11/2018
Out of curiosity, how many of you defeated/even found the secret boss? I had no clue until I was wandering extended soundtracks from the game and found one I never heard. It's uh, pretty insane to say the least. Imo probably harder than Undyne the undying, but easier than Sans.

- - -
---
#9 Posted: 20:55:13 01/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Didn't even know that secret was there until I started checking spoilers. Might go back for it since the save is still near the fast travel point.

OH GOD

Seam the shopkeeper's buttons are three spheres in a triangle pattern that move in an odd way
Same symbol Photoshop Flowey uses at the end of "Monsters, humans, everyone(...)", except that his were white in the middle.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:55:42 01/11/2018 by Bifrost
#10 Posted: 21:16:03 01/11/2018
That's brutal. Everything is connected somehow...

- - -
---
#11 Posted: 21:28:52 01/11/2018 | Topic Creator
God, it gets even worse.

I didn't find every area in the town but you can get even more information about Kris from certain characters as I'm seeing from other people.
Loves chocolate, does pranks in poor taste, pretty attached to Asriel.
All Chara, none of Frisk.
but why does Asriel/Ralsei say their Soul is the culmination of their compassion, and why do they even have to remove it at all

AND THE ENDING SONG HAS 'DON'T FORGET' IN THE LYRICS
TOBY WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 21:37:12 01/11/2018 by Bifrost
#12 Posted: 21:40:37 01/11/2018
I honestly wish I had time to REALLY dig into this
---
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#13 Posted: 22:24:27 01/11/2018
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
- - -
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

HALF THE **** IN DELTARUNE PREDATES UNDERTALE
UNDERTALE WAS JUST THE BETA

- - -
#14 Posted: 22:30:20 01/11/2018
Well damn.........
---
#15 Posted: 22:41:07 01/11/2018
man, that's cray-cray. then again, this is the guy who covered his profile pic with the annoying dog for both a forbes 30 under 30 piece and an interview at nintendo of japan.

And, yeah, I did not discover the secret boss until after finishing the game. But, well, I suuuuuuuck at bullet hell to the extent where I didn't even bother attempting a genocide run in Undertale b/c there was no conceivable way for me to be beat it. Not even going to try to fight Jevil. Especially not using arrow keys. Good god did it suck using them after the Joy Con analogue sticks. <.<;
---
#16 Posted: 22:47:13 01/11/2018
Definitely don't blame you HIR

Honestly I haven't beaten him yet. Gave it a solid 10-ish attempts and gave up for now. Every time I thought I was getting close he just got so much worse. Maybe I'll give up on "ACT"-ing and instead just lay the smack down on him.
---
#17 Posted: 23:19:33 01/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Wait a second...

Cages.

Rouxls Kaard's hobbies are calligraphy,lawkeeping,bugkeeping and cages. Not birdkeeping, not metalworking. Cages.

[User Posted Image]
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:19:50 01/11/2018 by Bifrost
#18 Posted: 00:31:36 02/11/2018
Quote: kardonis
Definitely don't blame you HIR

Honestly I haven't beaten him yet. Gave it a solid 10-ish attempts and gave up for now. Every time I thought I was getting close he just got so much worse. Maybe I'll give up on "ACT"-ing and instead just lay the smack down on him.

Hmm...
I'm given to understand FIGHTing is potentially EVEN WORSE b/c Jevil's health is stacked up the wazoo. You'd best have Susie buffed up and, if you choose to FIGHT, your main method of building up TP will come from grazing Jevil's bullets... so have fun with that.
---
#19 Posted: 01:53:45 02/11/2018 | Topic Creator
God I just realized the Field area uses the credits theme leitmotif, at least the part we currently have of it.

We're in for a wild ride, that's for sure.

Edit:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqn3p9

AAAAAA
God that answered way more than we thought. Tl;dr below

"How does this relate to Undertale?"

A different world. Our ending in UT does not affect this. (Okay but the song and Kris' dialogue clearly shows something is connected???). The main takeway is that we shouldnt WORRY about what it is and just go with the flow.

"Is the game being developed? What's the estimate? Kickstarter?"

No progress past Chapter 1, Toby and Temmie are already overwhelmed. They're looking for a team first and there's no estimate for completion. Toby refuses to do a kickstarter again.

"Gameplay/story changes"

Chapter 1 is subject to change, Toby specifically notes wanting to change the UI and finding better turn filler than Defend for pacifists.

"Multiple paths"

Toby says none, but he's lied before. However, in the demo, your choices barely matter except on how to defeat Lancer's father...

Current plans are getting more developers and making a version of Deltarune for console players.
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 11:12:07 02/11/2018 by Bifrost
#20 Posted: 14:32:25 02/11/2018
I'm a slight bit disappointed he deconfirmed multiple endings, but otherwise I completely understand everything else.

This guy is like, an actual madman honestly
---
#21 Posted: 16:41:19 02/11/2018 | Topic Creator
He's western Yoko Taro, it's crazy.
However, don't forget he also lies frequently. A lot of wording jn this FAQ is oddly specific and he used to bend the truth even in the official tumblr while roleplaying as Sans. Agency, however, really is the theme he's exploring here, not simply the contrast of violence and diplomacy.

More spoiler notes from rewatching and reading other people's stuff:

-Every save slot changes the game - the description of Asriel's drawer is different in each one. Between this and the ending not changing but you can change if Lancer leads the insurrection in Cards Castle or not, I think Toby will play with the fact that you can't change the ENDING of the game, but you can change everything until that point, be it to make other people's lives better or cause such a mess that it wouldn't matter that Chara can always take control of the character.

-Something only noticeable while watching a stream with headphones on. Before Kris-as-Chara throws themsleves out of bed, you can fainly hear a heartbeat; and when they stick their hand in, it's the damage SFX played on loop. I don't think the whole control struggle is something that's just happening whenever, there's violence against the vessel involved for sure. Maybe this is why the mysterious character that Contacts the player at the start only proceeds when you make the Soul manifest...

Also can I just say THE WORLD REVOLVING is an amazing track for something so distinct from the rest of the soundtrack
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 01:42:42 03/11/2018 by Bifrost
#22 Posted: 01:56:58 03/11/2018
Oh yeah it's no surprise the soundtrack is great. This guy can do everything.
---
#23 Posted: 14:39:46 03/11/2018
I find it interesting that the OST this time around seems to incorporate Deltarune's leitmotif into damn near every track in the whole chapter... even smaller ones that only last, like, ten seconds.

And can I just say ANOTHER HIM sampling the Giygas sound effects legit made me terrified to play this game. I was very paranoid there was going to be something jumpscary... and was proven right with the chapter's ending. @.@
---
#24 Posted: 15:19:14 03/11/2018 | Topic Creator
The leitmotif game is very strong, and there's only one real remix so to say with Card Castle and Chaos King so far because all the others only get a bit of Don't Forget and not the entire song. As much as I love UT's original soundtrack, getting four "minor boss" variations with Mad Mew Mew was becoming a bit much.

Also, a funnier note.

Took me long enough to notice that Kris insisting for fruit juice on the church means they were looking for the wine. Between that and constantly stealing chocolate from the fridge, I find it pretty funny that Toby is reminding everyone that, soulless(maybe?) or not, Chara is still a teen in the mind, and not this ageless entity.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 15:20:12 03/11/2018 by Bifrost
#25 Posted: 16:02:47 03/11/2018
So I was recently made aware that Susie is an anagram of Issue and Kris is an anagram of Risk. What that means could be anybody's guess, but Toby doesn't do stuff like this on accident.

- - -
---
#26 Posted: 16:06:02 03/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: kardonis
So I was recently made aware that Susie is an anagram of Issue and Kris is an anagram of Risk. What that means could be anybody's guess, but Toby doesn't do stuff like this on accident.

- - -

Very interesting, since the former is actually spelled differently in one of UT's Fun events. Considering that was added not even two months ago in the Switch version, the change can't be just diverting attention.
---
#27 Posted: 16:19:43 03/11/2018
Everybody's favorite character(s)?

I like susie the best, but I'm a total suck for a good "redemption" story, or seeing big changes in a character over time, especially when they left the school at the end. That really got to me.
---
#28 Posted: 16:26:16 03/11/2018 | Topic Creator
I can't decide, man.

Susie has BIG COMPLEX CHARACTER POTENTIAL and is potentially the actual protagonist
Ralsei is a mystery since he might not be really this world's Asriel or even an impostor, but at the same time he's a kind boye who might or might not have feelings for Kris
Kris speaks for themselves(ha). Are they Frisk and Chara fighting for control? Are they a normal kid that Chara got a hold of? Was Gaster just being cheeky and this is actually the vessel to try and stop whatever needs to be stopped by the player? Toby took out a page of Persona 5 of having a "blank" protagonist who is actually their own person with likes and dislikes and spun it on its head.

Out of the supporting cast I also like Noelle, but the giant red flags that she, her mother or her father might meet a grim fate in Chapter 2 make me not want to get attached. Lancer it is.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:28:58 03/11/2018 by Bifrost
#29 Posted: 17:36:31 03/11/2018
Susie's got the best arc, for sure. Ralsei is... interesting for the potential. Like, what if it's a reverse Flowey situation where, instead of restoring a sociopath to his kind-hearted self (albeit temporarily) we take an extremely kind-hearted soul and wind up turning them into a complete nihilist. That'd probably break everyone's hearts.

And, again, my big question is... if/when the full game exists... will we actually return to the Card Kingdom? Because, from the sounds of it, this Knight (and possibly "the Queen") are planting dark fountains in different places. So, will other "chapters" take us to different places entirely? The fountains already bring the needles to mind from Mother 3, so it wouldn't surprise me if Lancer's arc is over and we'd have a rotating cast of supporting characters. Would certainly help explain why Toby would want a team for this one.

---
#30 Posted: 21:59:00 03/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Wait a second, the extra boss...

Has an attack that resembles the Real Knife's coloring. Between that and the Chaos King having one of this attacks turn into red magic(same color as Susie's final ability), I wonder...
---
#31 Posted: 23:51:33 03/11/2018
So, uh, question...

As is the case with Undertale, it looks like some tracks actually play in a different key/pitch in the game compared to the OST... and I find myself liking the in-game variants better (like with Death By Glamour). Anyone happen to know if there's a way to get THE HOLY to sound like it does in game?

EDIT: Never mind, just had to change the pitch in Audacity! ^.^
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:13:20 04/11/2018 by HIR
#32 Posted: 00:12:58 04/11/2018
Really? I had no idea that happened. But uh, I have no idea how to go about that. Aside from recording it yourself obviously.

- - -
---
#33 Posted: 13:19:45 04/11/2018 | Topic Creator
One more interesting find! If you discard your only item in the postgame, Kris doesn't seem to react too well. Haven't done this myself because it's past the last save point, but apparently it's interesting.
---
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6606
#34 Posted: 20:49:35 04/11/2018
AHHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT JUST HAPPENED

AHHHHHHHHHH
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:49:46 04/11/2018 by DragonCamo
#35 Posted: 21:00:30 04/11/2018
Has anyone mentioned that when kris rips out the soul and throws it in the cage, you can control the soul afterwards? It could mean a few different things, but who knows...

- - -
---
#36 Posted: 22:27:30 04/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Haven't said it, but it is a thing.

After all, your choices don't matter.

Two other things on that subject though:
-edit: I was full of **** on this. Kris actually has blank white eyes on that sprite. That might lean more towards the conflict theory then, because that means there's another reason you can't see Kris' eyes most of the time.
-A streamer brought up that one of the Goners in UT tells Frisk to imagine “Have you ever thought about a world where everything is exactly the same.. except you don’t exist? Everything functions perfectly without you.”, and to acess the Fun values in the first versions, you had to alter the F in the code; possibly meaning that, just like Suzy and Susie are counterparts, so are Frisk and Kris.

edit: the video memes have begin. Early spoilers, of course.

---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 22:56:34 05/11/2018 by Bifrost
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#37 Posted: 05:38:49 06/11/2018
undertale star allies
#38 Posted: 11:29:51 06/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: ZapNorris
undertale star allies

We haven't seen a cult for the Knight... yet

Angel's Heaven is another matter entirely, since it's clearly the Dreemurs' religion.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:30:53 06/11/2018 by Bifrost
#39 Posted: 15:52:20 06/11/2018
Yeah for sure, it's interesting to say the least...
---
#40 Posted: 17:06:27 06/11/2018
Live shot of Undertale fans trying to unravel the mysteries of Deltarune:

[User Posted Image]
---
#41 Posted: 17:37:17 06/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Yeah sounds about right, but Toby's reassurance about the setting did clear some things somewhat. Others... I don't think he wants us to figure out so soon, which is why there are so many characters going "I'll tell you tomorrow" aka Chapter 2.
---
#42 Posted: 00:15:58 07/11/2018
So, placing bets when the full release comes. I'm going 2025 or later. :V
---
#43 Posted: 12:03:00 07/11/2018 | Topic Creator
He said no more than 7 years and from the way he's talking even that's not happening. 2022 if he doesn't get a good team, 2020 if he just gets showered in Devolver Digital's praise.
---
#44 Posted: 13:50:58 07/11/2018
I like to keep my expectations grounded. Would he even work with Devolver Digital?
---
#45 Posted: 21:49:46 07/11/2018 | Topic Creator
It depends on him honestly, Devolver Digital has a good story of just giving money to indie teams and making no demands other than the usual ports. However, Toby also wants nothing to do with making a brand out of UT/DR, so he's going to be picky and I don't blame him.
---
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#46 Posted: 03:38:08 08/11/2018
toby what the **** was that
#47 Posted: 21:40:02 09/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Game theory - Toby released this demo to us early not out of lack of self confidence, but to add the memes and headcanons to the rest of the game when he gets a team big enough to add extra flavor text
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:40:16 09/11/2018 by Bifrost
#48 Posted: 03:53:18 10/11/2018
I'd say that's canon, not even a theory
---
#49 Posted: 12:39:51 10/11/2018 | Topic Creator
Ralsei with gun powers confirmed

God dammit

Rudy was already dead in UT's timeline
get ready for sad
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:37:47 13/11/2018 by Bifrost
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me