Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Well this is interesting...
Page 1 of 1
Well this is interesting...
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#1 Posted: 15:41:50 27/04/2018 | Topic Creator

At the end of the day, Activision owns Spyro and Crash, and they can do whatever they want with both series without having the need to contact anyone else who have worked on these franchises. They probably haven't contacted Stewart Copeland to let him know they are remastering his soundtrack, but in reality, why would they need to? They own it. Very interesting topic.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 15:56:08 27/04/2018
What happened to "we talked to the original creators and they were very happy with what we showed"?

And I think Copeland does have some rights, or he wouldn't be allowed to put a few tracks on his CDs. Of course, Acti still does whatever it wants with the songs, but TFB on its own has no reason not to get advice from him.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:13:19 27/04/2018 by Bifrost
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#3 Posted: 16:15:04 27/04/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
What happened to "we talked to the original creators and they were very happy with what we showed"?

And I think Copeland does have some rights, or he wouldn't be allowed to put a few tracks on his CDs. Of course, Acti still does whatever it wants with the songs, but TFB on its own has no reason not to get advice from him.

We don't know if TfB are getting advice from Stewart.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#4 Posted: 16:16:52 27/04/2018
I know, I said they have no reason not to. They did a tool to get the games' original structure and everything, lazing out on the soundtrack is weird unless they had a big name composer replacing him.

edit: Also, on the video, clickbait aside as everyone in the comments section said, not every series credits its original concept artist after it's passed hands a couple dozen times. It's a shame they might not even put a "original character design by Zembillas", but the video creator's got some gall to spin it like Acti soured him on the remakes as a whole.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:13:56 27/04/2018 by Bifrost
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#5 Posted: 17:10:53 27/04/2018
Rights to assets in games tend to go to the developer and publisher. It is an industry problem. As to music in games, that issue hasn't historically been smooth. Nowadays, rights to the music go with the studio. But back in the 90s, I don't think it always worked that way. Look at SEGA and the classic Genesis Sonic games. They have to shell out royalties to Masato Nakamura if they want to reuse anything from Sonic 1 and 2. Heck, none of Tee Lopes' remixes of Green Hill or Chemical Plant could get an official release because SEGA doesn't own that music.

Of course, that's Japan. All the parties involved in the original Spyro games are from the West. Though, I seem to recall Josh Mancell was not contacted about the N. Sane Trilogy at all. In which case, this wouldn't be a surprise.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:16:28 27/04/2018 by HIR
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#6 Posted: 17:24:26 27/04/2018
I’m going to be a bit cynical here.

Hearing that Charles likes Spyro’s new design, to the point it’s basically what he wanted Insomniac to achieve with the first game, kinda made his exclusion feel more tolerable.

Mind it, I despise this way of thinking which puts money and business rules before respect and human relationships, but in the end the sad reality is that Activision most likely didn’t have to contact Zembillas nor Copeland; seriously doubt TfB could have done it themselves without their superiors allowing it in the first place.

So with all of that being said I’m at least relieved the result still turned out to be great, both for Spyro’s model and for what we’ve heard about the soundtrack so far.
Sure hope they’ll change their mind and reach out to who made this series possible in the first place, but personal disappointment aside for their behavior I’m happy with what we got.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:26:47 27/04/2018 by Drek95
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#7 Posted: 19:09:57 27/04/2018
Quote: Bifrost

exactly what I'm saying.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#8 Posted: 19:32:19 27/04/2018
I think they were referring exclusively to the developers and the staff of Insomniac, perhaps not even all of the people who worked on the original games, unfortunately.

Basically what they did for Crash as well.

Speaking of him, wasn’t Charles contacted when they were making his Imaginators version?
I thought we found evidence about it a while ago.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#9 Posted: 15:29:13 01/05/2018
http://zembillas.blogspot.com....383146410120684

The youtuber twisted the interview for clickbait. Time to add another channel to never watching again!
There's also a bonus coddling from the youtuber on the video comments, since he's sooo knowledgeable about clickbait, and never did it! Except here it is straight from Zembillas.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:32:01 01/05/2018 by Bifrost
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me