First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Something I'm afraid of...
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#51 Posted: 17:52:29 15/04/2018
Quote: Skarlime

Quote:
Not going to sell them as objective facts, but I don’t like how they heavily changed certain color palettes (such as Beast Maker’s World, High Caves or Stone Hill) because In my opinion they ruin the overall aesthetic of the level and make it feel too different from the source material.
Or, like, the regular Gnorcs design which look nothing like the gem thief in Artisans despite being basically the exact same model in the original games (but this is a rather small “complaint”).

I have to disagree here. At first, I didn't like the new Beast Makers, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. Now I like it even more than the original (this is just personal preference, of course). I also like the new Stone Hill, mainly because it doesn't look almost like an Artisans homeworld clone anymore. Plus, I prefer the new look of the regular gnorcs, not only because they have more personality now, but because the fact that they look different from the gem thief is actually a good thing in my opinion. I want the enemy designs to be more varied, not recycled.

However, this doesn't mean that I blindly accept everything I see. I think some skyboxes need more color, I don't really like the blue sky in Magic Crafters and the lack of pink in High Caves, now those two levels look a bit more generic. I don't like that Misty Bog isn't misty anymore (Come on TFB, it's called Misty Bog for a reason), and I wish Lofty Castle was a bit lighter, since right now it really reminds me of Dark Passage, and I don't want those two levels to look very similar.

Regarding Beast Makers, I went back to check what was bothering me about it and I actually realized the skybox was dark grey or black and the murky water was the one adding to the green atmosphere.
Still, I think changing the overall palette to a greener one would do it wonders.

I agree on enemies being varied, which is why I appreciate what they are doing to the dragons, but they could have still made the regular Gnorcs and the gem thief look different while still making it clear they are from the same “species”.
Now I’m curious about how they will approach the Gnorcs in Town Square and Dark Hollow, which are once again the exact same type but with different dresses and weapons.
I thing the current regular Gnorcs would work much better as the big ones in Dark Hollow, or those in Dragon Shores.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#52 Posted: 18:59:00 15/04/2018
Being honest, as someone who actually likes Skyro, his design in Imaginators is butt ugly. It might be because his design in Academy is so good comparatively.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#53 Posted: 19:07:47 15/04/2018
It is, ESPECIALLY the even more accentuated ball head, but it's still better than the SSA screenshot. The argument on Skylanders that twitter loves to make is that Skyro still looks like a Wii-level model when he's not doing butt selfies.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#54 Posted: 19:26:34 15/04/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bionichute
Being honest, as someone who actually likes Skyro, his design in Imaginators is butt ugly. It might be because his design in Academy is so good comparatively.

Idk why but playable Spyro looks better as NPC Spyro in Imaginators.
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#55 Posted: 07:59:24 16/04/2018
tbh I only like Skyro's design in 2D artwork. It just doesn't sit well when it's in 3D to me.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#56 Posted: 15:35:54 17/04/2018
Something I noticed while looking at skybox complaints.
People are upset about Artisans’s sky looking dull, but take a look at these three different screenshots and tell me if its color looks exactly the same in all of them:

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

These images, coupled with the talks about dynamic skies makes me believe the overall result won’t differ that much from its original look: we simply aren’t looking at the entire picture yet.

Just realized the other colors change as well (look very vibrant in the second image), which is obviously a consequence of the lighting system and not just some nitpickers playing with Photoshop’s sliders to make a single screenshot look more similar to a 20 years old one.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:43:11 17/04/2018 by Drek95
#57 Posted: 12:37:11 18/04/2018
Pretty sure I was one of the those defending or at least appreciating Skyro’s Storyteller model, but simply because I barely played him in Imaginators and thus never saw them directly compared.
He’s definitely too much V.V.-ish for my tastes, which is why I agree that their other takes on NPCs looked... Off, at times.

I’m convinced Spyro’s weird proportions in the remakes are a result of odd camera angles or animation phases, since he looks incredibly good while shown from a regular gameplay perspective or during his walking and running animations (really like how they differentiated them here, by the way).
Saying this because I wasn’t a fan of his look in the first leaked screenshot and first apparition in the trailer either, but now he seems to keep looking better with each image they release.
Purple spines don’t bother me at all, wouldn’t mind if they were yellow but I’m more than fine with that; just don’t tell me it’s purely to stay faithful to the original designs because TfB took way bigger artistic liberties.

I agree the sky-boxes look duller, but I’m not sure they’d look good with the rest of the aesthetics if they looked as vibrant and varied as in the originals.
Plus we stilll don’t know how dynamic the skies might be, they could go from moving clouds to iridescent colors changing automatically or according to the position in th level.

As for the thief, I’d be ok if it looked like the fan edit but if there’s something the N. Sane Trilogy taught me is that I will never pay attention to these details to the point of being annoyed by them.
Screenshots make us concentrate on them because we’ve nothing else to look at, but playing tthe games will keep us busy with tons of other visual stimuli.
And I’m saying this as someone who wants to be more critical and nitpicky because of how much I care about these games, which is why I’m still not convinced about Beast Makers nor Lofty Castle.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:37:32 18/04/2018 by Drek95
#58 Posted: 00:52:42 19/04/2018
I already explained why I’m not a fan of Beast Makers’ look, so let me do the same for Lofty Castle.
My problem with it is mainly with the sky-box (which is pretty important since we are talking about a level composed of multiple floating islands), because its color are so much darker they make it feel “heavier”.

Look at this comparison:

[User Posted Image]

As you can see the remake uses a very similar tint to the bottom color of the original’s skybox for its upper part, and consequently goes with a waaaay darker color for the abyss (which I think would fit Dark Passage almost perfectly).
The lighter colors in the original are completely gone (at least from what I can tell from this screenshot) and I feel like this impacts the general result greately.
Don’t mind the light blue line on the horizon, but I feel it works better here than it would with the original palette.

I think both Beast Makers and Lofty Castle looks fantastic on their own (fingers crossed for Spooky Swamp to look similar to the former), just not as supposedly faithful interpretation of their respective PS1 counterparts: the first is too pleasantly looking and the second feels darker and less light.
I will notice these difference while playing, and while they most likely won’t ruin my experience they will indeed make me think something isn’t right with the level I’m in.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:55:50 19/04/2018 by Drek95
FrozenLionheart Blue Sparx Gems: 779
#59 Posted: 15:31:33 19/04/2018
I love the original 3 games.... And I have to say this remaster/rebuild of the assets looks amazing and whilst I am worried slightly that toys for bob may mess it up in some regards...(after giants and trap team I became more sceptical of them as a developer especially as the main focal point skylander wise for those games was slow lumbering characters/ the games didn't feel very different from each other in terms of game play) I have to say it looks amazing, crash was extremely well handled by vicarious visions.... except for the simple fact they ruined crash in terms of jumping descent speed which made it harder to play the first 2 games in terms of timing (and cost me quite a lot of lives....), I want to have full faith in them as a developer for this but I sadly can't till its in my hands and I've played them myself.... Hopefully they won't have many bugs that are game breaking because toys for bob didn't seem fond of patching games at all with skylanders... If I remember correctly only Imaginators got patches...

Technology for games has come a long way, and I hope toys for bob use that to the fullest extent they can, the sky boxes for example look amazing the environments look lush from what has been shown off the original game (really can't wait to see the realms of Avalar) as well as how they have done the characters throughout the original 3 games, game play is everything to me...sound is also important and hoping the soundtrack isn't too drastically changed and that the more remixed versions of Copeland's original scores for the game still feel Spyro enough, though I totally understand why they have been redone after hearing what they did for Final Fantasy X HD remaster soundtrack wise, some parts sounded off on that, but at least on the PS4 copy the soundtrack was allowed to be selected.

I have pre-ordered this collection twice...which I rarely do, done the same with crash as well, because Spyro and Crash were my main focus as a child along with Pokemon.... I just hope this lives up to the expectations people have for it, I actually like the fact the artisan realm dragons have clothing that fits their theme, it may not be liked by all but honestly we already have 1 nude dragon and we have to play as him smilie.
The only complaint I have so far is Sparx's redesign, to me feels a little less child friendly compared to how he looked originally (and it gives me the creeps) but I can understand they have gone with a more realistic look.

I honestly can't wait for E3 in regards to seeing more game play to this, and more than likely the reveal of Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage/Gateway to Glimmer, as that will more than likely be when they reveal it and I'd assume Year of the Dragon come late August/ Early September at this point as this has a quicker reveal/marketing cycle than crash did, I just hope we get some game play footage soon of at least the artisan home world in full in the next month or so, that way we can at least see how the whole home world looks.
#60 Posted: 09:00:56 09/05/2018
This guy here made a rather reasonable video about certain complaints.
It’s nothing groundbreaking but I think it sums up a lot of people thoughts very well.

The video contains a bit of strong language:

Feels over reals, basically.
It honestly helped me having a more open mentality about TfB’s reinterpretations, even though I’ll still criticize the games regardless when I think it needs to be done.

This link comes directly from Reddit, and oh boy I’m curious to see certain users’ reactions!

EDIT:
Of course they simply took the topic down.
Remember, opinions are fine as long as we all agree Spyro’s new color sucks.
That’s where facts starts.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 10:51:44 09/05/2018 by Drek95
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#61 Posted: 10:47:48 09/05/2018
Yeah, I agree with the person in the video.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
SpyroxCynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1906
#62 Posted: 13:06:29 19/07/2018
I am just sitting here, laughing my butt off that people want the crystal dragons to be just as blocky as they were in the original. Do they not realize 1) what a huge jarring effect it will be to have this beautiful, soft, HD world and then to see this low res monstrosity smack in the middle? and 2) they're obviously still blocky, just now they're blocky per PS4 standards. I love this remake so much that I'm actually going to apply for an internship at TfB. They get and understand how to create charm and wonder.
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
Mouse Red Sparx Gems: 68
#63 Posted: 10:37:19 26/08/2018
Activision should give Elora a different voice actress for the third game just to make fun of those fans and their hunger for 'authenticity'.
---
This swamp smells so sweet
The springtime trees are fragrant
I'm off to kick butt
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#64 Posted: 04:39:09 27/08/2018
I agree with that video entirely, and I honestly find it upsetting how TFB actually went back and fixed all these nitpicks and generally sucked up to them when more important things could have been happening like bug fixing, or accessories clipping into the character models when animating like I'm always seeing. >.>
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:39:40 27/08/2018 by DarkCynder_543
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#65 Posted: 15:01:40 27/08/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: DarkCynder_543
I agree with that video entirely, and I honestly find it upsetting how TFB actually went back and fixed all these nitpicks and generally sucked up to them when more important things could have been happening like bug fixing, or accessories clipping into the character models when animating like I'm always seeing. >.>

Yeah :/
Me too ...
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#66 Posted: 16:37:50 27/08/2018
I wonder if we'd be seeing less of these intense critiques if TfB had never starting "listening" in the first place.
Grizzle Gold Sparx Gems: 2272
#67 Posted: 19:49:03 27/08/2018

I don't think they're sucking up to anything, I'd assume they have enough people to both fix bugs and listen to fans at the same time but they just needed more time since they've been so carefully doing everything and trying not to rush. I think the fact they have 'sucked up' is what makes them a good game company and has changed my mind about them since Skylanders.
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#68 Posted: 21:51:10 27/08/2018
Quote: Grizzle

I don't think they're sucking up to anything, I'd assume they have enough people to both fix bugs and listen to fans at the same time but they just needed more time since they've been so carefully doing everything and trying not to rush. I think the fact they have 'sucked up' is what makes them a good game company and has changed my mind about them since Skylanders.

Yes, the same fans who want the same exact Skybox as the original
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me