darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: Reignited Trilogy > Toys for Bob is the best developer ever happened to Spyro (after Insomniac :P)
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3
Toys for Bob is the best developer ever happened to Spyro (after Insomniac :P)
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#51 Posted: 03:46:17 12/04/2018
i don't think spyro really needs combat mechanics aside from the absolute basics
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
LindseyWednesdy Blue Sparx Gems: 769
#52 Posted: 07:37:30 12/04/2018
Quote: sonicbrawler182
TEN is unironically one of the best kid friendly action games out there, don't even @ me. The combat mechanics can be surprisingly deep and are really tight. At the same time, they're simple enough to pick up and play for a young kid. Much better than ANB, which had some of the most disjointed combat mechanics I've ever played around with. Also, the atmosphere in TEN was crazy good and it has one of the best Spyro soundtracks.

DotD is weird. While it's combat mechanics are better than ANB, they're a step down from TEN due to not being quite as fast paced and responsive, at least when controlling one character. But they work in the context of its gameplay since you have two characters, and co-op brings some legitimately cool combo possibilities. Taking it more as an action-adventure game, its fun to explore and has that over the previous two games which were linear action games. Also, DotD is a really fun speedrun game due to some really fun exploits, such as what I like to call the "Dragon Catapult" (use a heavy attack while flying, and dodge cancel forward just as the attack initiates - you will be sent hurtling forward at high speed, and the game's physics allow you to actually take advantage of the momentum to get really high jumps off slopes and such), or Cynder's infinite air time trick (which isn't well known because IIRC I was actually the first to discover and document this). DotD is notably rushed and rough in some areas, but overall still holds up pretty well in spite of all that.

Ratchet & Clank 2016 was a really fun game, though I don't have much experience with the series compared to its fans so I don't know how it stacks against the other games.

^wow, a lot if not all of this...!

this is why we needed your posts back, man.
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#53 Posted: 09:41:10 12/04/2018
Actually yeah sonicbrawler you're right about TEN in terms of the combat being best for kid friendly. Although I'd argue games like Kingdom Hearts takes that spot considering its target audience is also quite young due to Disney. I know a lot of the people who grew up with the franchise where really young when they played it. Although I guess KH wouldn't be under that category since it's an RPG. TLOS seemed like they were going for hack and slash or something.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#54 Posted: 11:41:24 12/04/2018
TEN gets real fun when you start getting more breaths and upgrades, as someone who is playing through it right now. The fact pretty much all of them can be part of the combo and there's no penalty for switching mid fight means you can create a lot of chaos, unrefined targeting and bad hitstun and all.

It also just felt like the closest to a realized world. ANB was pretty much sliced in half during development, DOTD was so focused on its next-gen looks and GOW gameplay the aesthetics are just LOTR with some minor changes thrown in, plus SW sprinkled in the plot. You can even find some crazy concept art about strange levels and a water flying section, but of course the interesting things didn't make it.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#55 Posted: 13:46:51 12/04/2018
Tbh I can't remember the difference between the combat. I just remember thunder being more useful and ice being less and the furys were no longer visually appealing because of the slow down scene (I admit Ioved the furys in ANB when they were cranked up to max). I also remember there being some slow motion occurring during combat which I felt spoilt it for me (or was that anb I cant remember). To me it was more that I Iiked the story and the levels more in ANB and all I can remember from TEN was a ship which I hated and the last world which design I also hated and found boring xD

Unfortunately there is no way I can even replay them to jog my memory since I don't have acess to a copy cuz ps2 and I dont even know where my ps2 is.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 14:00:45 12/04/2018 by DarkCynder_543
#56 Posted: 13:51:23 12/04/2018
The problem with ice is that it interrupts every combo - the first upgrade on the primary turns any small enemies into snowballs that can only roll around, and the secondary slows them down to such a point Spyro can't continue a combo without sliding to the sides. The rest always compliment the combos and even help starting one.

Slowdown only happened during furies and tail slap(charge button on air), and yeah it's pretty silly. I don't even use tail slap over Comet Dash anymore, they really should've left the slowmo to only playing once.
---
#57 Posted: 13:55:40 12/04/2018
Was the tail slap the air combo? The air combo was the only thing I found cool from the combat so it annoyed me when the slow motion happened during air combat which I remember happening.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:58:04 12/04/2018 by DarkCynder_543
#58 Posted: 14:02:59 12/04/2018
Only the final attack in it when modified into the tail slap. If you just press the attack button all 6 times, Spyro just gives a headbutt and goes back down, no slowmo.
---
#59 Posted: 14:21:05 12/04/2018
Wow I really can't remember haha. I do know that it did happen during the air combo with the three (or was it four?) hits, and each hit was in slow motion.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:21:41 12/04/2018 by DarkCynder_543
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#60 Posted: 15:28:46 12/04/2018
The slowdown from kicking back an enemy in the air in TEN is one of the reasons I love the combat so much, as it makes it possible to utilise a technique I like to call "Elemental Buffering".

Basically, during the slowdown, although the HUD disappears, you can still change your equipped element. And during the slowdown, you can unload a multitude of elemental attacks in one "breath". Normally, there is a cooldown animation between each use of an elemental breath, but the slowdown effect ignores that, so while the game is in slowmotion, you unload as many elemental attacks as you want to have them all ready, and when the slow-motion ends, all of your breaths will fly off wherever you sent them at once. This does massive damage, and can be used for crowd control.

I don't know how intentional this mechanic is, but it's incredibly rewarding to pull off and makes you feel like a champ. It's not TOO OP though, since you need to keep mana consumption in mind.

Also, the ice element was not designed to aid combos. It was designed for crowd control. It immobilises enemies so you can focus on the priority threats. Or you can immobilise the priority threat, and get rid of the smaller threats first to make the priority threats easier to deal with. If an area had bottomless pits, you could also straight up push enemies off the stage whilst they were stuck in a snowball. The ice element could also OHKO certain enemies IIRC. The ghost ones I think.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:35:11 12/04/2018 by sonicbrawler182
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#61 Posted: 16:26:29 12/04/2018
The combat in the first two LoS games were pretty great, NGL.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#62 Posted: 17:20:18 12/04/2018 | Topic Creator
^Agree. I don't like the combat of DOTD, it was to slow imo.
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
#63 Posted: 23:45:03 12/04/2018
I think the problem I had with the games is that to me, there was too much enemies being thrown at you and it got annoying and outright ridiculous sometimes. In other games I've experienced with good combat mechanics better than Spyro even they didn't have the amount of enemies Spyro did. I also didn't like how you couldn't revisit the worlds (also TEN made some worlds not making sense to go back to like the ship), and the games were short in general. I do know that other people liked the amount of enemies you were fighting, so this is just personal preference. I don't know what it is, but there is just something off about them that makes fighting apes not enjoyable to me, and it might even because Spyro himself doesn't have room for that much interesting combat and I like hitting enemies with a sword.

However one thing I did love about TEN was the final boss fight. Best boss fight in the trilogy and is actually on pair with favourite boss fights of mine in general.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:48:06 12/04/2018 by DarkCynder_543
#64 Posted: 23:50:34 12/04/2018
Quote: DarkCynder_543
I think the problem I had with the games is that to me, there was too much enemies being thrown at you and it got annoying and outright ridiculous sometimes. In other games I've experienced with good combat mechanics better than Spyro even they didn't have the amount of enemies Spyro did. I also didn't like how you couldn't revisit the worlds (also TEN made some worlds not making sense to go back to like the ship), and the games were short in general. I do know that other people liked the amount of enemies you were fighting, so this is just personal preference.

However one thing I did love about TEN was the final boss fight. Best boss fight in the trilogy and is actually on pair with favourite boss fights of mine in general.

The amount of enemies you deal with at one time is pretty tame in TEN, actually, by general action game/hack-and-slash standards of today. In part because it's a PS2 game.

I never felt unfairly overwhelmed, you always had the tools to deal with what they were throwing at you, even when the enemy count got a bit higher on occasion.
---
#65 Posted: 00:09:05 13/04/2018 | Topic Creator
I think the problem I had with the games is that to me, there was too much enemies being thrown at you and it got annoying and outright ridiculous sometimes. In other games I've experienced with good combat mechanics better than Spyro even they didn't have the amount of enemies Spyro did. I also didn't like how you couldn't revisit the worlds (also TEN made some worlds not making sense to go back to like the ship), and the games were short in general. I do know that other people liked the amount of enemies you were fighting, so this is just personal preference. I don't know what it is, but there is just something off about them that makes fighting apes not enjoyable to me, and it might even because Spyro himself doesn't have room for that much interesting combat and I like hitting enemies with a sword.

I agree. Specially the last level of ANB and TEN had too much enemies. It is a pain to go through the last level of both of them. They throw you waves of enemies against your face.
---
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8532
#66 Posted: 00:23:22 13/04/2018
I've only really played ANB and TEN, but my main problem with those games is if I wanted to play Devil May Cry, I'd go play Devil May Cry. Hell, there are better DMC clones out there than ANB/TEN. I enjoyed them for what they were back then, but as time went on, I realized I could've been playing better hack-and-slashes out there.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:24:29 13/04/2018 by JCW555
#67 Posted: 00:31:17 13/04/2018
Quote: JCW555
I've only really played ANB and TEN, but my main problem with those games is if I wanted to play Devil May Cry, I'd go play Devil May Cry. Hell, there are better DMC clones out there than ANB/TEN. I enjoyed them for what they were back then, but as time went on, I realized I could've been playing better hack-and-slashes out there.

ANB/TEN aren't Devil May Cry clones. Like, at all.

DMC is the fast-paced hack-and-slash genre, popularised in Japan.

ANB/TEN are slower and your actions are more deliberate. You can get punished much more easily for screwing up. You don't even have dodge roll.

I don't want to sound like I'm encouraging the "this is the Darks Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls" meme, but I would say TEN/ANB is more Dark Souls in terms of how it's combat is designed. Slow and deliberate, just not to quite the degree of Dark Souls.

DotD goes closer to a DMC style, but even then, I'd compare it more to God of War.

Also, the argument of "if I wanted to play a DMC-esque game, I'd play actual DMC" is flawed, because you need derivatives in order for a genre to evolve, and also cater to sub-demographics. DMC isn't suitable for kids, so having action games that cater to kids is still valid.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 00:33:57 13/04/2018 by sonicbrawler182
#68 Posted: 00:37:45 13/04/2018

ANB/TEN are slower and your actions are more deliberate. You can get punished much more easily for screwing up. You don't even have dodge roll.

I don't want to sound like I'm encouraging the "this is the Darks Souls of Dark Souls of Dark Souls" meme, but I would say TEN/ANB is more Dark Souls in terms of how it's combat is designed. Slow and deliberate, just not to quite the degree of Dark Souls.

DotD goes closer to a DMC style, but even then, I'd compare it more to God of War.

Also, the argument of "if I wanted to play a DMC-esque game, I'd play actual DMC" is flawed, because you need derivatives in order for a genre to evolve, and also cater to sub-demographics. DMC isn't suitable for kids, so having action games that cater to kids is still valid.

I think the reason why ANB and TEN were labled DMC clones (I remember a lot of people saying this back in 2006/2007) instead of Souls' clones is that Demon's Souls wasn't released until 2009.
---
#69 Posted: 00:47:43 13/04/2018
A better comparison would be something like Zelda then, where combat is also more deliberate. Again, not to the same extreme, but ANB/TEN isn't pure hack-and-slash at all.

There's also the fact that, in TEN's case at least, there is still quite a bit of platforming and puzzle solving. For that reason, I just call them action games. You do a bit of everything in them. DotD went more towards action-adventure due to having more open-ended and objective-based level design.
---
#70 Posted: 00:55:32 13/04/2018
^ I agree there.

I think the problem I had with the games is that to me, there was too much enemies being thrown at you and it got annoying and outright ridiculous sometimes. In other games I've experienced with good combat mechanics better than Spyro even they didn't have the amount of enemies Spyro did. I also didn't like how you couldn't revisit the worlds (also TEN made some worlds not making sense to go back to like the ship), and the games were short in general. I do know that other people liked the amount of enemies you were fighting, so this is just personal preference.

The amount of enemies you deal with at one time is pretty tame in TEN, actually, by general action game/hack-and-slash standards of today. In part because it's a PS2 game.

I never felt unfairly overwhelmed, you always had the tools to deal with what they were throwing at you, even when the enemy count got a bit higher on occasion.

Even if that's the case, I didn't like fighting them and got bored. So I guess that's a sign that I didn't enjoy the combat or something. I'm not sure, but I just didn't enjoy fighting the enemies. And I do think its because the combat is quite repetitive. I think the problem here was probably because it was directed at a younger audience, when action games seem to generally have the T rating as the lowest, and the action is more intense so it's more enjoyable.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:59:54 13/04/2018 by DarkCynder_543
#71 Posted: 01:00:39 13/04/2018
Quote: Sesshomaru75
I guess, but even then Zelda's got a lot more going for it. I wouldn't say that ANB or TEN are bad, per se, but they still aren't that great either. The combat is still quite repetitive, and there are numerous other issues as well.

And if we're legitimately trying to argue "this is good for kids, so it's still good", when kids themselves generally don't have the critical thinking skills necessary to properly analyze and criticize something, then I think we're missing the point.
I loved ANB and TEN as a kid, but now, while I still like them (To an extent), I realize that there are a lot of problems with them, and there's plenty of better, similar things that can be played instead. :/

I'm not arguing that they're "only good for kids", I merely stated that the argument of "if I wanted to play an action game, I'd play *insert T-rated/M-rated series here*" is flawed because that means there is no kid friendly alternative if devs only cater to the M-rated audience.

ANB is mediocre, I'll agree, though for some reason it's the most highly praised - probably because it's the easiest game in the series.

TEN is legitmately a great game, looking at it critically. Problem is, not many people actually do.

DotD is rushed but still holds up decently for the average consumer. If you're like me though and like to speedrun games or really put their mechanics to the test in some way, DotD becomes tons of fun too (though I realise that's a very niche perspective).
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:01:37 13/04/2018 by sonicbrawler182
#72 Posted: 01:06:41 13/04/2018
I think DOTD feels too slow and cheap on the mana sometimes. Way too much time spent meleeing and looking for crystals because I couldn't have fun with breaths, while I can screw around with crowd control quite a bit in the other two and make my own fun in combat. TEN has potential for speedrunning but I only saw like 3 in speedrun.com.

Uh... Are there any other companies we can talk about when it comes to Spyro? SL is also made by Amaze just like the handheld LoS titles so no news there.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:07:07 13/04/2018 by Bifrost
#73 Posted: 01:08:59 13/04/2018
Quote: Bifrost
I think DOTD feels too slow and cheap on the mana sometimes. Way too much time spent meleeing and looking for crystals because I couldn't have fun with breaths, while I can screw around with crowd control quite a bit in the other two and make my own fun in combat. TEN has potential for speedrunning but I only saw like 3 in speedrun.com.

Uh... Are there any other companies we can talk about when it comes to Spyro? SL is also made by Amaze just like the handheld LoS titles so no news there.

Classic Series:

Insomniac Games (1998-2000)
Check Six Games (2002)
Equinoxe (2002)
Digital Eclipse (2001-2003)
Eurocom (2004)
Amaze Entertainment (2005)
Toys for Bob (2018)

The Legend of Spyro Series:

Krome Studios (2006-2007)
Estranges Libellules (2008)
Amaze Entertainment (2006-2007)
The Mighty Troglodytes (2008)
Vivendi Universal Games (2006-2008)
Tantalus Media (2008)
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:13:36 13/04/2018 by JCW555
#74 Posted: 01:09:39 13/04/2018

You felt DotD was cheap with mana crystals? It gives you plenty, arguably more than the other two. IIRC there were armours that made you consume less of it or get more per crystal or something too. Also, you literally have two mana gauges because you have two characters, and both can be expanded.

TEN was where they were more scarce. A common criticism against the game is that it's too difficult, and the mana crystal shortage is one reason why it's the most challenging game in the series.
---
#75 Posted: 01:18:02 13/04/2018
Several of these were under Vivendi though, they weren't ever the actual team, just the publisher iirc?

You felt DotD was cheap with mana crystals? It gives you plenty, arguably more than the other two. IIRC there were armours that made you consume less of it or get more per crystal or something too. Also, you literally have two mana gauges because you have two characters, and both can be expanded.

TEN was where they were more scarce. A common criticism against the game is that it's too difficult, and the mana crystal shortage is one reason why it's the most challenging game in the series.

Might be just me comparing teenager ability to now, I guess. All I remember is wasting so much time in DOTD because I burned it all with cynder's tornado and I probably didn't use the armor like a smart person; while now in TEN I barely need to hit the crystal more than once because I always fire with a followup in mind instead of spamming.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:18:26 13/04/2018 by Bifrost
#76 Posted: 01:28:01 13/04/2018 | Topic Creator
I only hope that Spyro stays with TfB and don't change the developer again. The many different developer really hurst the franchise imo.
Spyro needs a home like Sonic and Mario and I really hope TfB is the home for Spyro.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:28:37 13/04/2018 by XSparxX
#77 Posted: 01:48:02 13/04/2018
Quote: XSparxX
I only hope that Spyro stays with TfB and don't change the developer again. The many different developer really hurst the franchise imo.
Spyro needs a home like Sonic and Mario and I really hope TfB is the home for Spyro.

All long-running franchises change developers. It's an unavoidable truth of the industry.

Even with Sonic, while the main series games are developed by "Sonic Team", the actual staff at Sonic Team changes quite frequently, with very few of them having an extended history with the franchise. And most of those are just producers and musicians, not the core development staff.

As an example, Sonic Unleashed has been gaining a lot of popularity in the community as one of the best made Sonic games. People often wonder why the core Sonic games haven't been as technologically impressive since, and why the level design of something like Sonic Forces was so much more simplified compared to Unleashed and Generations.

The answer lies in big shifts in Sonic Team. The producer of Sonic Unleashed actually got employed by Square Enix after finishing his work on Sonic Unleashed, and went on to help develop the Luminous Engine for FFXV. A core level designer of Unleashed/Generations actually got hired by Nintendo after Generations, IIRC.

Mario and Nintendo in general is in a similar situation, the recent surge of positive changes in Nintendo's practices came about because of a huge shake-up in staff in many areas of the company. Most notably, they are giving their younger employees a lot more producer/core development roles, while older employees have been playing supervisory roles.

Even just ignoring devs shifting around like this, these big franchises NEED multiple devs contracted to work on games if they hope to remain perpetually relevant. You simply can't have the core game's staff work on all of the spin-offs and budget titles without letting the quality of the main games suffer. For example, with the current dev cycle of mainline 3D Sonic games, it takes 2-3 years on average to make each one. They need to release other games in that time to keep the franchise relevant every year, so they contract other devs to make spin-offs and smaller games. For example, PagodaWest Games for Sonic Mania, or Sumo Digital for the Sonic & SEGA Racing games.

In an ideal world, Spyro could become a big, perpetually relevant franchise again with multiple games being developed concurrently by different developers, with possible different pillars of the franchise catering to different demographics. Sort of like how Sonic has now been distinctly split into the Classic Sonic, Modern Sonic, and Sonic Boom pillars.
---
#78 Posted: 04:56:00 13/04/2018

Quote: XSparxX

All long-running franchises change developers. It's an unavoidable truth of the industry.

Even with Sonic, while the main series games are developed by "Sonic Team", the actual staff at Sonic Team changes quite frequently, with very few of them having an extended history with the franchise. And most of those are just producers and musicians, not the core development staff.

As an example, Sonic Unleashed has been gaining a lot of popularity in the community as one of the best made Sonic games. People often wonder why the core Sonic games haven't been as technologically impressive since, and why the level design of something like Sonic Forces was so much more simplified compared to Unleashed and Generations.

The answer lies in big shifts in Sonic Team. The producer of Sonic Unleashed actually got employed by Square Enix after finishing his work on Sonic Unleashed, and went on to help develop the Luminous Engine for FFXV. A core level designer of Unleashed/Generations actually got hired by Nintendo after Generations, IIRC.

Mario and Nintendo in general is in a similar situation, the recent surge of positive changes in Nintendo's practices came about because of a huge shake-up in staff in many areas of the company. Most notably, they are giving their younger employees a lot more producer/core development roles, while older employees have been playing supervisory roles.

Even just ignoring devs shifting around like this, these big franchises NEED multiple devs contracted to work on games if they hope to remain perpetually relevant. You simply can't have the core game's staff work on all of the spin-offs and budget titles without letting the quality of the main games suffer. For example, with the current dev cycle of mainline 3D Sonic games, it takes 2-3 years on average to make each one. They need to release other games in that time to keep the franchise relevant every year, so they contract other devs to make spin-offs and smaller games. For example, PagodaWest Games for Sonic Mania, or Sumo Digital for the Sonic & SEGA Racing games.

In an ideal world, Spyro could become a big, perpetually relevant franchise again with multiple games being developed concurrently by different developers, with possible different pillars of the franchise catering to different demographics. Sort of like how Sonic has now been distinctly split into the Classic Sonic, Modern Sonic, and Sonic Boom pillars.

^ ^ ^ ^

just upvoting these comments is all
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
#79 Posted: 16:36:14 13/04/2018
Eternal Night, even if some of yall liked it, still has a pretty terrible plot and villain. I mean I can say that about every LoS game but i dont want to be too rude
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
#80 Posted: 16:42:47 13/04/2018
There's nothing bad about the plot until DOTD. Nothing new? Yeah, it's pretty generic, no one gets any development except Spyro learning to not take any **** from Sparx. But it was fun and suffered more from having so much cut rather than the concept being bad to begin with.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:43:10 13/04/2018 by Bifrost
#81 Posted: 16:46:53 13/04/2018
That's still mostly a subjective thing, when I tried to watch the game (I'm not going out of my way to hunt down a game I probably won't like) I felt nothing but apathy and hate for it based entirely on the concept, so

Also I thought Skabb was the main villain, but its actually whoever Gaul is. Skabb is hilariously terrible as a villain anyway, but is still more memorable because of that terribleness than generic evil monkey man.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
#82 Posted: 16:55:23 13/04/2018
...Gaul is the main villain that appears a dozen times in flashbacks, liked to make Cynder suffer, leads the cult of the ape guys with cloth masks(Shadow Wraiths), and is Malefor's top *** kisser before he got nuked by Dark Spyro. Skabb is a random villain that kidnapped Spyro out of spíte and got what he asked for by trying to stop his advance for more bloodsports. The game can't be blamed if you can't remember the plot, that isn't subjective.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:56:42 13/04/2018 by Bifrost
#83 Posted: 16:59:22 13/04/2018
...Gaul is the main villain that appears a dozen times in flashbacks, liked to make Cynder suffer, leads the cult of the ape guys with cloth masks(Shadow Wraiths), and is Malefor's top *** kisser before he got nuked by Dark Spyro. Skabb is a random villain that kidnapped Spyro out of spíte and got what he asked for by trying to stop his advance for more bloodsports. The game can't be blamed if you can't remember the plot, that isn't subjective.

I mean yeah, I wasn't saying that me not remembering wasn't my fault. I still think that both villains are bad for different reasons. That was mostly an unrelated thought tangent to clarify that I thought Skabb was the main villain when I wrote that and not Gaul
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
#84 Posted: 17:04:07 13/04/2018
They're not bad though, they're just meh - not good but don't bring down the story, they just do evil things because they like power or some ****. Bad would be like the Golem who endangered itself constantly to attack Warfang instead of not climbing the deadly tall buildings and weak structures. Or Malefor for the tacked on reason to destroy the world that never came up before.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:04:22 13/04/2018 by Bifrost
#85 Posted: 20:32:05 13/04/2018
They're not bad though, they're just meh - not good but don't bring down the story, they just do evil things because they like power or some ****. Bad would be like the Golem who endangered itself constantly to attack Warfang instead of not climbing the deadly tall buildings and weak structures. Or Malefor for the tacked on reason to destroy the world that never came up before.

I think the games were great, i'm more on your side definitely.

and me and you actually played the game, so...
---
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#86 Posted: 21:56:50 13/04/2018
Quote: Bionichute

I mean yeah, I wasn't saying that me not remembering wasn't my fault. I still think that both villains are bad for different reasons. That was mostly an unrelated thought tangent to clarify that I thought Skabb was the main villain when I wrote that and not Gaul

Would you mind explaining why you think they're bad?
Because yeah, I did kinda enjoy the LoS games and their bosses! Of course it's subjective, but I'd like to know why you don't like them, if that's okay! ( Sorry if you have explained it ... but all I can see at the moment is just you saying you don't like them x3 )

Looking back on them now, I think the old war torn land thing might be pretty generic ... as well as the main character being cast away and growing up not knowing his ansestory, but hey I thought it was cool as a kid. Most of ANB is just basically a retrieval mission to find the Guardians, and I understand how it may become monotonous to some people. But honestly, it never bothered me at all because I adored the level design. Maybe not so much the layout and gameplay, but I think the environments were absolutely beautiful, and I still think the last two levels (Concurrent Skies and Convexity) are super creative, and they always make me feel ... dread or foreboding? I'm not sure. I also did enjoy the combat and learning new powers! The slow mo was my favourite part ... and I turned it up to the max in the settings so that I'd get it every time I did an aerial combo. >.<
I really liked the villains for the game too. Cynder's story is really sad when you look deeper into it ... but really, she's just downright awesome. The boss fight was the best thing to me as a kid, haha. And I loved how Malefor was trapped in the portal at the centre of an airlock (what are these other dark and distant lands, huh??). It really built up a sense of anticipation to me as a kid.

TEN is my absolute favourite of all three. It was really dark and sombre, and the whole game just gave me a sense of absolute loneliness. I want to be able to capture that exact feeling in one of my own stories one day. Again, I really loved the level design. The Celestial Caves and Well of Souls were my favourite levels. Coincidentally, they also made me feel the loneliest. I don't remember too much about the combat, but I know they improved on moves a lot from the previous game. Looking badk at it now ... yeah, not a fan of how they changed the fury attacks. Dragon Time was ... a thing. I also think this game wasn't very clear in explaining how to progress through levels because I remember getting stuck for ages in places (remember those damned spiders you have to horn dive in the caves?). I do feel like it was just ANB with new skins and a different story, but that's thanks to the budget so I can't really blame the devs. They did the best with what they had. But really, if that shrine for Malefor the top of the mountain didn't fill you with dread, or at least make you feel something ... who are you lol.
The main bad guys were good to me as well. Skabb was interesting because he wasn't even the one in charge, he's just basically used a puppet while Scratch and Sniff are the ones who give the orders. I want to know what happened to them. Gaul was also super cool to me. I don't know or remember if they explained his motivations, but I enjoyed his character design and boss fight a lot. Admittedly, there's not much for me to talk about, but I guess I just like them for subjective reasons?

I mean, the first two instalments of the trilogy may be full of cliches, but I would have no idea. I don't play many other games or watch many other movies, so these are kinda unique to me. I do understand why people complain about the stories being a little dark and edgy just for the sake of being dark and edgy ... but really? I don't care! We can enjoy dark stories if we want! ;p

.... and then there was DotD. As a kid I loved it because it looked very beautiful to me at the time, and you could actually fly in a Spyro game whenever you wanted. Looking back at it now, the flight sucked. It was just hovering over land. And the devs seemed to put too much time into making the game look good that they didn't really focus on the gameplay and story as much as they should. Avatar is the best example of this, and a good metaphor for the whole game. Beautiful, best looking level in the whole game, and I loved how open it was! The objective and story? Absolute bull****! The village is attacked and some cheetah broke his leg in a cave up stream. Instead of picking him up and flying him back, Spyro is sent on a huge unnecessary quest around the valley to find a key ... unlock the dock ... drag a raft down to the cave ... and pick the cheetah up and put him on the raft to take him back to the village. If you were able to get him out of the cave and put him on the raft, why couldn't you carry him a few more metres to the village? And the combat in the level was annoying. Enemies would pop up out of nowhere just to be an obstacle and make the level drag out longer. It wasn't fun. I would completely skip a lot of the fights just to get it over with. Everything I said about this level can be said for the remainder of the game. Looks beautiful (but there's still problems with the visuals anyway), annoying combat, and huge unnecessary side quests when there is a clear objective. Why did we have to take out the Destroyer when we could have just gone straight to Malefor and dealt with them both? Why did we even go to the Dragon City? Why couldn't we skip the whole level by flying over the fallen building? Why couldn't we fly over the Belt of Fire?! Ugh. The game was a mess. I could go on, but I think my post has gotten too long as it is.
Malefor was horrible in my opinion. He was built up to be such an interesting villain ... but in the end he just wants to destroy the world. To cleanse it? Okay then? What about the world needs cleansing? And I kinda liked the conflict about the destiny of a purple dragon ... but that only lasted for like two seconds. There's a whole story I made up to explain what Malefor was talking about with there being many more purple dragons before him, and his motivations to cleanse the world ... but really? That's the dev's responsibility, not the fans'. The fans have been left the explain the entirety of the game because the writers did such a **** job. And the boss fight sucked. It lasted way too long, and in the end we didn't even beat him. He was defeated in a cutscene.
Yes, I hate this game. It's fun to play with my family sometimes, but it sucks and it ruined the whole story of the series.

WOW, sorry this got so long, I just wanted to put my two cents in on the LoS trilogy. Don't read it if it's too long ... I understand haha. And feel free to comment on any of my opinions.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#87 Posted: 22:03:39 13/04/2018
Gaul just worships Malefor along with the other Shadow Wraiths. He implies the apes turned to him for vengeance but Gaul's never given a reason to have done so many horrible things, and all he gets is a scene to gloat to Spyro. Probably cut content again.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:04:21 13/04/2018 by Bifrost
#88 Posted: 00:04:29 14/04/2018
lol i always thought tlos's plot was basically a darker avatar the last airbender

because like the dragons master a single element and the purple dragon masters all four (although not all of them i guess because wind apparently exists since it's cynder's element???), the purple dragon stops the bad guy, and even cynder has the same voice as katara
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:08:26 14/04/2018 by DarkCynder_543
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#89 Posted: 00:11:59 14/04/2018
lol i always thought tlos's plot was basically a darker avatar the last airbender

because like the dragons master a single element and the purple dragon masters all four (although not all of them i guess because wind apparently exists since it's cynder's element???), the purple dragon stops the bad guy, and even cynder has the same voice as katara

... I've never watched that show so I wouldn't know lol. >.<;
But yeah, I totally get what you mean.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#90 Posted: 06:10:01 14/04/2018
Quote: Bolt
Quote: Bionichute

Would you mind explaining why you think they're bad?
Because yeah, I did kinda enjoy the LoS games and their bosses! Of course it's subjective, but I'd like to know why you don't like them, if that's okay! ( Sorry if you have explained it ... but all I can see at the moment is just you saying you don't like them x3 )

Looking back on them now, I think the old war torn land thing might be pretty generic ... as well as the main character being cast away and growing up not knowing his ansestory, but hey I thought it was cool as a kid. Most of ANB is just basically a retrieval mission to find the Guardians, and I understand how it may become monotonous to some people. But honestly, it never bothered me at all because I adored the level design. Maybe not so much the layout and gameplay, but I think the environments were absolutely beautiful, and I still think the last two levels (Concurrent Skies and Convexity) are super creative, and they always make me feel ... dread or foreboding? I'm not sure. I also did enjoy the combat and learning new powers! The slow mo was my favourite part ... and I turned it up to the max in the settings so that I'd get it every time I did an aerial combo. >.<
I really liked the villains for the game too. Cynder's story is really sad when you look deeper into it ... but really, she's just downright awesome. The boss fight was the best thing to me as a kid, haha. And I loved how Malefor was trapped in the portal at the centre of an airlock (what are these other dark and distant lands, huh??). It really built up a sense of anticipation to me as a kid.

TEN is my absolute favourite of all three. It was really dark and sombre, and the whole game just gave me a sense of absolute loneliness. I want to be able to capture that exact feeling in one of my own stories one day. Again, I really loved the level design. The Celestial Caves and Well of Souls were my favourite levels. Coincidentally, they also made me feel the loneliest. I don't remember too much about the combat, but I know they improved on moves a lot from the previous game. Looking badk at it now ... yeah, not a fan of how they changed the fury attacks. Dragon Time was ... a thing. I also think this game wasn't very clear in explaining how to progress through levels because I remember getting stuck for ages in places (remember those damned spiders you have to horn dive in the caves?). I do feel like it was just ANB with new skins and a different story, but that's thanks to the budget so I can't really blame the devs. They did the best with what they had. But really, if that shrine for Malefor the top of the mountain didn't fill you with dread, or at least make you feel something ... who are you lol.
The main bad guys were good to me as well. Skabb was interesting because he wasn't even the one in charge, he's just basically used a puppet while Scratch and Sniff are the ones who give the orders. I want to know what happened to them. Gaul was also super cool to me. I don't know or remember if they explained his motivations, but I enjoyed his character design and boss fight a lot. Admittedly, there's not much for me to talk about, but I guess I just like them for subjective reasons?

I mean, the first two instalments of the trilogy may be full of cliches, but I would have no idea. I don't play many other games or watch many other movies, so these are kinda unique to me. I do understand why people complain about the stories being a little dark and edgy just for the sake of being dark and edgy ... but really? I don't care! We can enjoy dark stories if we want! ;p

.... and then there was DotD. As a kid I loved it because it looked very beautiful to me at the time, and you could actually fly in a Spyro game whenever you wanted. Looking back at it now, the flight sucked. It was just hovering over land. And the devs seemed to put too much time into making the game look good that they didn't really focus on the gameplay and story as much as they should. Avatar is the best example of this, and a good metaphor for the whole game. Beautiful, best looking level in the whole game, and I loved how open it was! The objective and story? Absolute bull****! The village is attacked and some cheetah broke his leg in a cave up stream. Instead of picking him up and flying him back, Spyro is sent on a huge unnecessary quest around the valley to find a key ... unlock the dock ... drag a raft down to the cave ... and pick the cheetah up and put him on the raft to take him back to the village. If you were able to get him out of the cave and put him on the raft, why couldn't you carry him a few more metres to the village? And the combat in the level was annoying. Enemies would pop up out of nowhere just to be an obstacle and make the level drag out longer. It wasn't fun. I would completely skip a lot of the fights just to get it over with. Everything I said about this level can be said for the remainder of the game. Looks beautiful (but there's still problems with the visuals anyway), annoying combat, and huge unnecessary side quests when there is a clear objective. Why did we have to take out the Destroyer when we could have just gone straight to Malefor and dealt with them both? Why did we even go to the Dragon City? Why couldn't we skip the whole level by flying over the fallen building? Why couldn't we fly over the Belt of Fire?! Ugh. The game was a mess. I could go on, but I think my post has gotten too long as it is.
Malefor was horrible in my opinion. He was built up to be such an interesting villain ... but in the end he just wants to destroy the world. To cleanse it? Okay then? What about the world needs cleansing? And I kinda liked the conflict about the destiny of a purple dragon ... but that only lasted for like two seconds. There's a whole story I made up to explain what Malefor was talking about with there being many more purple dragons before him, and his motivations to cleanse the world ... but really? That's the dev's responsibility, not the fans'. The fans have been left the explain the entirety of the game because the writers did such a **** job. And the boss fight sucked. It lasted way too long, and in the end we didn't even beat him. He was defeated in a cutscene.
Yes, I hate this game. It's fun to play with my family sometimes, but it sucks and it ruined the whole story of the series.

WOW, sorry this got so long, I just wanted to put my two cents in on the LoS trilogy. Don't read it if it's too long ... I understand haha. And feel free to comment on any of my opinions.

wow, thanks for posting this, not too long at all! I agree with basically everything in here. you pretty much summed up how I feel about The Legend of Spyro...! :-)

I loved it for the most part.

to add a touch of my own thing, I used to love Dawn of the Dragon, then I hated it, and recently I got more into it again and I kind of like it again. all of your points are still valid to me, though, I just for strange reasons have recently gotten back into it, lmao.

but this pots was awesome...! XD
---
TheDragonlord99 Red Sparx Gems: 90
#91 Posted: 19:52:19 14/04/2018

The First season of ATLA may have seemed rather light-hearted at first, but I would say overall the series is darker than TLOS

Also, I really enjoyed the GBA games and would say Digital Eclipse may have been the best. Their games may not have been perfect but a lot of that is GBA hardware limitations, and they really tried to create faithful games. Eurocom produced a good game but it never felt right to me and swapping the charge and flame buttons still messes me up to this day.

That said, while it is hard to compare TLOS to the originals on account of being different genres, we can note that the First three are well known platformers that seem to have influenced the genre and while I enjoyed TLOS, those games were rather easy to miss for their genre.

Toys for Bob seems to be really good right now but until I see a finished product and possibly what they do with Spyro after this I have to give it to Digital Eclipse for nowsmilie
#92 Posted: 19:53:33 14/04/2018
I can just think things are bad and not really need to explain myself
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
#93 Posted: 20:09:35 14/04/2018
If you want an explanation for Skabb, its mostly that he's this really terrible joke villain that takes up a large chunk of an already very short game. You can do comedic secondary villains, but you need to have maybe a bit more to them than "He's stupid and his pets control him", which is a twist that's been done many times. Except its not even a twist and is just there from the start, so there's no joke beyond that.

The best I can compare is Captain Slag from R&C: Tools of Destruction. He's a comedic secondary villain, but he actually does anything throughout the game and is allowed to be a character in his own right. Skabb really isn't a character and is just a boss character for a boss character. Slag is also paired with a main villain who isn't just generic evil man, so there's that too.

And his two fights are both just way too simplistic for a game that has a GoW-style combat system. They're designed like basic platformer bosses instead of anything that actually makes use of the system. I'm not going to call it a straight up bad boss fight because it isn't, but it is a waste of the combat system.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
#94 Posted: 20:13:39 14/04/2018
It's not a twist. The FIRST thing you see about him is Scratch and Sniff talking in his place. That doesn't replace that he's capturing everything he can get his hands on to watch them beat each other to death and nothing more. There is no joke, the joke is Sparx getting angry at the parrots.
---
First | Page 2 of 3 | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me