darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: Reignited Trilogy > Toys for Bob is the best developer ever happened to Spyro (after Insomniac :P)
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Toys for Bob is the best developer ever happened to Spyro (after Insomniac :P)
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#1 Posted: 09:57:24 08/04/2018 | Topic Creator
They are much better as Krome Studios, Enstranges Libellues etc.
Do you agree with me?
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:27:42 10/04/2018 by XSparxX
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7089
#2 Posted: 09:58:51 08/04/2018
I don't really think there is any reason for me to think so just yet. I haven't played their Spyro game, lol.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#3 Posted: 11:30:42 08/04/2018
They're Skylanders developers, so a lot of people won't agree at all.

However, currently, they seem to be the ones that give me the biggest hope. Even back with Eurocom, it never quite felt like someone was trying for gameplay first, just the story or quirky humor. All this talk of studying the exact original level gemetry and how the physics worked to get everything with the same weight and impact as before is really making me optimistic.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#4 Posted: 12:03:55 08/04/2018 | Topic Creator
Yeah, the Skylanders haters doesn't have any clue how good TfB's Skylander games are.
After Insomniac they are the best developers for the franchise.
Eurocom was good too, to bad they only developed one game.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:04:34 08/04/2018 by XSparxX
InsomDog Platinum Sparx Gems: 6814
#5 Posted: 12:22:15 08/04/2018
I'm not so sure. I'm not familiar with Toys for Bob as I've not played the Skylanders games. Actually, I am only familiar with the console games up to A Hero's Tail.

I think that if Toys for Bob gets this remake right, they will be forever known as the developers who brought Spyro back to life, which is a great achievement.
#6 Posted: 12:22:44 08/04/2018
Quote: XSparxX
Yeah, the Skylanders haters doesn't have any clue how good TfB's Skylander games are.

I played Skylanders Giants and thought it was good, but it didn't have me screaming "YES, THESE GUYS ABSOLUTELY MUST DEVELOP SPYRO".

And from what I've heard, Vicarious Visions were the better of the two Skylanders developers. So if anything they probably would have been the best fit, but they got put on Crash.

I think TFB seem to be doing a good job so far, but I don't really think this has to be a contest. Krome Studios for example, were making an entirely different kind of game. I also think they were very limited by Sierra, who just didn't give them the funding they needed (that, or Sierra blew the budget on Hollywood voice talent). Krome Studios were passionate about their project but just weren't given the necessary resources to fully realise it...

...and despite that, Eternal Night still ended up as one of my favourite Spyro games.
---
#7 Posted: 12:23:00 08/04/2018
Eurocom was alright, but again, it was pretty obvious they weren't at their best knowing the rest of their portfolio. They seemed to be busier making snarky jokes than polishing the side gameplay.
---
wanderist Platinum Sparx Gems: 7081
#8 Posted: 18:05:32 08/04/2018
I'll withhold judgement until I actually play the game and I'm not sure they'll be the best or not, but I do love what they are doing so far. I do think they may have the best Spyro design ever.

I also think Tfb did a pretty good job with the first two Skylanders games (only two I've played) and from what I can see so far they've put as much if not more love into this, so I do believe that I'll end up loving these games.

Quote: sonicbrawler182

I played Skylanders Giants and thought it was good, but it didn't have me screaming "YES, THESE GUYS ABSOLUTELY MUST DEVELOP SPYRO".

And from what I've heard, Vicarious Visions were the better of the two Skylanders developers. So if anything they probably would have been the best fit, but they got put on Crash.

I think TFB seem to be doing a good job so far, but I don't really think this has to be a contest. Krome Studios for example, were making an entirely different kind of game. I also think they were very limited by Sierra, who just didn't give them the funding they needed (that, or Sierra blew the budget on Hollywood voice talent). Krome Studios were passionate about their project but just weren't given the necessary resources to fully realise it...

...and despite that, Eternal Night still ended up as one of my favourite Spyro games.

This pretty much. I personally thought that given what they were trying to do Krome Studios did a really good job with TLOS overall. I also feel like DOTD's developer could have made a better game if they had been given more time. Of course, this is coming from a TLOS fan, so...

If I absolutely had to pick best developer, I would still give it to Eurocom right now just because I love AHT maybe even more than I love the original trilogy, but honestly like sonicbrawler said I really don't think it needs to be a contest. It's all up to personal preference anyway.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#9 Posted: 18:20:14 08/04/2018
I'm not going to make a full judgement just yet, and I think it's a little unfair to compare Krome Studios, and Estranges Libellules, since the Legend of Spyro was an entirely different direction for Spyro, so if you don't like those types of games, then you're not going to appreciate those developers as much.

Every developer can have potential.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#10 Posted: 18:22:40 08/04/2018
Trap Team is still my favorite Skylanders game, and that's TFB. VV has great polish and quality when it comes to looks, but gameplay and ESPECIALLY writing, they can falter in a lot of places while being good on others. They were almost getting good on both as seen in the comics(David A Rodriguez went from whatever the hell happened in Swap Force to world ending conflict and characters actually coming to terms with their possible deaths) but then Acti cancelled their next game :/
---
#11 Posted: 18:40:26 08/04/2018
Quote: Bifrost
Trap Team is still my favorite Skylanders game, and that's TFB. VV has great polish and quality when it comes to looks, but gameplay and ESPECIALLY writing, they can falter in a lot of places while being good on others. They were almost getting good on both as seen in the comics(David A Rodriguez went from whatever the hell happened in Swap Force to world ending conflict and characters actually coming to terms with their possible deaths) but then Acti cancelled their next game :/

In my opinion, the story doesn't need to be that great for a video game, all I care about is the gameplay, how engaging and fun it is. If I wanted a decent story, I'll read a book, or watch a film. There are videogames out there that heavily rely on story, like The Last of Us, and the gameplay has to adjust to that story. I'm not really into games that have big stories to them, I just want a game that feels satisfying to play, and that's it. Having a great story is just a bonus to me.
---
#12 Posted: 18:50:57 08/04/2018
I know, but it's not about the plot, it's the writing. VV's writing could get straight up annoying, and it doesn't help they like to put comic relief Flynn in AS MANY situations as possible to say something that adds nothing to the scene,or worse, breaks the ice of an otherwise interesting and tense moment.

He complains about someone's supposed death AS SOON AFTER it happens, because they did his house chores. Kids' game. He's also in TFB's games, but it felt they knew how to control it and he actually gets serious or nervous in tense moments. Imaginators doesn't count, everyone in that game is written poorly and it's obvious how it was rushed out of the door.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:51:28 08/04/2018 by Bifrost
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#13 Posted: 19:29:40 08/04/2018
I haven't played a single Skylanders game, so I'm reserving judgment. Vicarious Visions had legitimate past experience with Crash before becoming part of the ActiBlizz collective, so they were naturally going to get Crash. I think this is better than Spyro getting shafted off to, say, Beenox or something. We'll just have to see what happens.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#14 Posted: 20:06:42 08/04/2018
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
I'm not going to make a full judgement just yet, and I think it's a little unfair to compare Krome Studios, and Estranges Libellules, since the Legend of Spyro was an entirely different direction for Spyro, so if you don't like those types of games, then you're not going to appreciate those developers as much.

Every developer can have potential.

This! I think it's a bit unfair to compare the studios because the tLoS games weren't even intended to be like the Classic games. If they were trying to do that and the end result was lacklustre, then yes, you can say that TfB is the better developer. But that being said, the game isn't even out yet so again it's a bit unfair to judge.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#15 Posted: 22:44:51 08/04/2018
Quote: Bolt
I think it's a bit unfair to compare the studios because the tLoS games weren't even intended to be like the Classic games. If they were trying to do that and the end result was lacklustre, then yes, you can say that TfB is the better developer. But that being said, the game isn't even out yet so again it's a bit unfair to judge.

Well, they did end up going in a different direction, and it still ended up lackluster. The games are basically Spyro in name only, so they probably weren't the best devs for the series.

Toys for Bob has actual creative people on their team, and even back in Spyro's Adventure, you can tell there were nods and homages to classic Spyro throughout.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#16 Posted: 12:35:01 09/04/2018
Not going to be objective here because of nostalgia, I admit it, but I think they may be the best thing which happened to the franchise since Insomniac.
Loved what Eurocom did, but just the fact we are talking about the original trilogy makes me automatically prefer their work.

There are certain aspects to be improved, but as Bionichute said their love and passion for the series could be seen throught their whole Skylanders production.
Unlike V.V. they are taking more freedom in terms of designs and aesthetics, which I’m yet unsure if it’ll end up being a better approach or instead make purists even angrier, but it’s undoubtedly commendable in terms of effort.

Would love to see this style kept for future titles as well.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:37:16 09/04/2018 by Drek95
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#17 Posted: 18:48:24 10/04/2018
No, I definitely think Insomniac are the best thing to happen to Spyro. Their artwork, their worlds, their character concepts were - and still are - magical to behold. Besides the Crash Bandicoot games I've never played a game where I've felt so in control, nor have I been so immersed in a game. Toys for Bob are definitely one of the best devs, perhaps one of my all time faves, but I'd still put Eurocom ahead of them. I'll reserve judgement on how TFB gets Spyro until I've played their game for myself.
#18 Posted: 19:04:53 10/04/2018
Quote: Sesshomaru75
I think he was meaning the best since Insomniac, not better than Insomniac themselves. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that. lol

Can't be too careful these days, today's lenience is tomorrow's heresy! In that case though, Eurocom is my favourite dev which is rather odd because they made Crash Bash WITH ITS TERRIBLE CONTROLS AND WHOSE IDEA WAS IT TO HAVE THAT PROGRESSION SYSTEM--, ahem.
#19 Posted: 19:09:36 10/04/2018 | Topic Creator
I think he was meaning the best since Insomniac, not better than Insomniac themselves. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that. lol

That's exactly what I mean. :3

Eurocom was great too! AHT is still my favorite Spyro game. :3 I think I will play it again after Reignited Trilogy to look if I like it like I suppose.
Étranges Libellules had some great art style, I love the first levels of Dawn of the Dragon especially Avalar looked great on PS360 version!
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:13:50 10/04/2018 by XSparxX
#20 Posted: 19:16:11 10/04/2018

That's exactly what I mean. :3

Good, good. *Puts away the heresy stick*

Unpopular opinion, but I do like how VV had made a Spyro sidescroller with Spyro Fusion, even with its mini-games and all that. And the girls and boys behind Season of Ice & Flame did as best a job they could making a Spyro game with the limitations they had, which in turn made some pretty memorable games. And as said elsewhere, EtD had a developer that could've made a really nice Spyro game were it not for the pressure of the publisher and inexperience.

Spyro's had it pretty good for developers. Despite the controversy surrounding Skylanders' initial reveal, there are far worse devs than TfB to handle the Amethyst Drake.
#21 Posted: 21:29:05 10/04/2018 | Topic Creator
I always forget the GBA games! It was really good.
The TLOS DS games were very bad ...
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:29:27 10/04/2018 by XSparxX
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#22 Posted: 07:05:50 11/04/2018
In terms of level design I thought Eurocom was very good with that; it was one thing I liked about AHT. Dragonfly Falls was very nice as well as Red's Laboratory. It had good platforming and a good difficulty as it was definitely challenging. Although as much as I used to love that game I do feel the negatives of it outweigh the positives, such as I'm not a fan of the artstyle, I dislike how much they butchered the cast, terrible mini games, had new characters yet some old ones where nowhere to be seen, etc. :\

So yeah I do agree that I think TfB is the best one other than Insomniac. Although even then, even if Insomniac kept the IP for Spyro, even they would have eventually made bad Spyro games as proven by how they're treating Ratchet and Clank currently (I'm still salty they redesigned Ratchet to basically a bubble head right after they legit had the best design for him in ACiT). I'm guessing that was why they made multiple playable characters in YOTD; because they got bored of Spyro lol.

Even though I'm not a fan of Skylanders and got bored halfway through the first game, they may redeem themselves with the remake.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#23 Posted: 12:20:16 11/04/2018
Ah thats just my personal preference haha. I think the franchise went downhill after acit since I hate all 4 one and the ps4 game, but I know that's just me.
---
#24 Posted: 18:46:26 11/04/2018 | Topic Creator
I'm so glad Insomniac isn't doing the Spyro remake. I wasn't a fan of the R&C 2016 reboot, they have ruin the whole characterization of Ratchet & Clank, the story was very rushed and the writing was bad compare to the first game up to Crack in Time. I think the games after Crack in Time were only okay - mediocre. :/
---
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#25 Posted: 19:27:37 11/04/2018
I think the biggest problem was that Ratchet & Clank 2016 was both a movie tie-in and, believe it or not, a budget game. After Into the Nexus didn't sell terribly well, Sony didn't feel confident giving Insomniac a "Triple A budget" for the remake. After it's sales performance, I would think that would change. But they're busy with Spiderset Arkhamdrive, so it's irrelevant.

On-topic, Insomniac could probably handle the remake well. A lot of the core Spyro team is still around, after all. But I wouldn't want them to work with Activision, so Toys for Bob is the best of the ActiBlizz in-house developers to handle this.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#26 Posted: 19:54:53 11/04/2018
There are things that disappointed me in the remake of Ratchet & Clank, like the soundtrack is just a generic orchestra, and they didn't try to keep, or remake the original soundtrack, now the game's soundtrack is forgettable in my opinion.

There wasn't as much character development between Ratchet & Clank like in the original.

There's only 12 planets instead of 18, and I didn't like the fact that they cut out planets, I did appreciate that they kept some in, and I didn't mind that they made changes to some of the level designs, other than that, the gameplay is much better than in the original.

So I don't personally think that I'm nostalgia blind, I think these are fair points to be honest.
---
#27 Posted: 20:37:36 11/04/2018 | Topic Creator
I also like the gameplay and the level design of the new R&C game, my biggest problem is how short and how bad written the story and especially Ratchet & Clank themselves was.
---
#28 Posted: 23:03:21 11/04/2018 | Topic Creator
Maybe we should compare Spyro games with Sonic games and then we will see that Spyro has it better as Sonic (06, Boom, Forces ...) smilie
I don't think that TLOS was THE BEST games for Spyro but it was decent imo. The only real bad Spyro game is ETD.
Even Spyro elitist must admit that Skylanders was for Spyro a better fate as the Sonic Boom series for Sonic.
---
#29 Posted: 23:26:23 11/04/2018
DOTD still runs and plays alright and has cohesion in the story(as in, no cutscenes putting you elsewhere out of nowhere), even if it's snore-inducing when it comes to variety. Forces, Boom or 06 it ain't.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:27:24 11/04/2018 by Bifrost
#30 Posted: 23:51:10 11/04/2018 | Topic Creator
Same situation like R&C 2016, I like the gameplay of DOTD, it has many puzzles and more exploring as the other TLOS games, and I totally love the Avalar version of DOTD but the writing was bad and it has to many plot holes. :/
---
#31 Posted: 00:32:16 12/04/2018
whereas DOTD is generally considered legitimately bad.

Doesn't stop people from defending it
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
#32 Posted: 00:36:39 12/04/2018
Quote: Bionichute
Doesn't stop people from defending it

That's not my point, though?

I was making a joke my man
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
#33 Posted: 01:48:59 12/04/2018
I do see people say that TEN was the worse of the trilogy despite how ridiculous DOTD was, and I can honestly see why. TEN was basically ANB but a different story, boring level designs and the furys were ruined. My main problem with the trilogy in general was the combat, since it just got too tedious and ruined the experience for me. Its not a combat I want to go back to.

I also like the gameplay and the level design of the new R&C game, my biggest problem is how short and how bad written the story and especially Ratchet & Clank themselves was.

And that's fair, I just don't see how one can compare the quality of the Spyro series to the R&C series. :/

Don't mean to be rude here, but I was just stating a small personal opinion and didn't really intend for a huge lecture and review scores on why I should change my mind lol, because it's not changing. And I respect how you feel about the game, its just not for me. And I wasn't really saying that the later R&C games were as bad as the Spyro games, because they are better. And I'm not denying that R&C 2016 isn't a good game because it definitely is. I just never got the chance to explain myself properly. The problem I had wasn't things like gameplay and stuff but other things. My main concern is in things like I don't like the way Ratchet and Clank were presented in the game since they didn't really interact much with each other like the older games, I don't like the direction they went with Ratchet, I wasn't a fan of the soundtrack, I really didn't like the animation since it was boring and plain, the humor was worse than the future trilogy, didn't like the more childish feel, none of the characters would ever shut up during gameplay, etc.
The way characters are presented has always been a huge deal for me and alone can make or break a game for me; it's part of the reason why I'm not a fan of AHT or KH 358/2 Days and Dream Drop Distance for example.
---
#34 Posted: 02:26:46 12/04/2018
TEN is unironically one of the best kid friendly action games out there, don't even @ me. The combat mechanics can be surprisingly deep and are really tight. At the same time, they're simple enough to pick up and play for a young kid. Much better than ANB, which had some of the most disjointed combat mechanics I've ever played around with. Also, the atmosphere in TEN was crazy good and it has one of the best Spyro soundtracks.

DotD is weird. While it's combat mechanics are better than ANB, they're a step down from TEN due to not being quite as fast paced and responsive, at least when controlling one character. But they work in the context of its gameplay since you have two characters, and co-op brings some legitimately cool combo possibilities. Taking it more as an action-adventure game, its fun to explore and has that over the previous two games which were linear action games. Also, DotD is a really fun speedrun game due to some really fun exploits, such as what I like to call the "Dragon Catapult" (use a heavy attack while flying, and dodge cancel forward just as the attack initiates - you will be sent hurtling forward at high speed, and the game's physics allow you to actually take advantage of the momentum to get really high jumps off slopes and such), or Cynder's infinite air time trick (which isn't well known because IIRC I was actually the first to discover and document this). DotD is notably rushed and rough in some areas, but overall still holds up pretty well in spite of all that.

Ratchet & Clank 2016 was a really fun game, though I don't have much experience with the series compared to its fans so I don't know how it stacks against the other games.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:30:14 12/04/2018 by sonicbrawler182
#35 Posted: 03:20:13 12/04/2018
ANB I feel was the best one but even then that one had a lot of issues. I definitely feel that the trilogy would benefit from a remake/second go.

You're missing my point, though. You legitimately tried to say that Insomniac would make bad Spyro games because you personally don't like the newer ones, yet the way you worded it made it seem like it was objective fact to you that the new games are bad.

I literally don't give a **** if you don't like the newer games, even though I disagree with you completely over the remake, but don't try to compare what happened to Spyro to what's happened with R&C, because at least the latter is consistent. :/

Dude I'm trying to stay calm and not argue but you're really making it hard to do that. The extreme passive aggression is unnecessary from a small statement I made. I'm well aware that personal preference doesn't equal the general public's preference. They definitely won't handle it near as badly as what has happened with Spyro getting pushed to different developments and making a sonic 06, the whole reboot ordeal, etc. But I doubt it would have been a perfect run ether because of things Insomniac has said about Spyro in the past. Hell I'm not even comparing the two in the way you're making it. I meant that Insomniac downright proved through their latest R&C game that they're capable of making a franchise go down a path that basically separates half the fan-base into a 'hate the new direction' camp and a 'I like the direction' camp. They proved they are capable of making a game series go in a different direction to what the originals where and fans ether like it or hate it.

Also if you don't care about my negative view over the newer games why bother writing a huge lecture and even post high scores from reviewers? I'm sorry if my first post wasn't explained properly but it was a brief statement to go on and I wasn't even expecting anyone to go at my throat over it.

Anyway I'd rather not argue since this is off topic. I don't really want to drag this out. >
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 03:24:13 12/04/2018 by DarkCynder_543
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me