Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > What would you want in a NEW Spyro game?
Page 1 of 1
What would you want in a NEW Spyro game?
ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#1 Posted: 16:29:41 06/03/2018 | Topic Creator
I would want it to incorporate as much as it can from other Spyro games so that the divided Spyro universe feels more cohesive.

Specifically I'd want them to bring in some characters from LOS and tweak them to fit Classic Spyro's universe like replacing AHT's elders with The Guardians as I've said before.
I'd also like them to explore the relationship between Spyro and Sparx
Fix or ditch the races in Spyro 3; either make them more competitive and challenging or get rid of them. I hate the slow line up 'races' the Spyro 3 Speedways have.
TIME TRAVEL! Could be very useful in joining the universes and exploring lore by showing past events as they happen.
A little more depth emotional weight in the story. Why DOES Ripto hate dragons? Did they overrun his homeland? Was his life torn apart by war? Why are Gnasty and the other Gnorcs outcasts? Can we get more detail on the banishment of the dragons from the Forgotten Worlds by the Sorceress? Can we get more deep into Red's corruption?
But of course I want all new stories too.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#2 Posted: 17:01:11 06/03/2018
More backstory to the villains is always good. I also liked the direction of the lore Shadow Legacy was talking, about the origins of magic and the dragons' settlement after being banished from the Forgotten Realms, but they were just text at the time. Maybe even go into some metaphysics - why do the dragons need to create magic? What happened to the world that it's so necessary?

Keep in mind I'm not asking for huge story or LoS stuff. I mean like, maybe the collectibles relate to the world's origins or something.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:13:14 06/03/2018 by Bifrost
#3 Posted: 17:23:09 06/03/2018 | Topic Creator
I agree with you so much! For all it's flaws I LOVED SL for what it tried to do, like Showing areas from previous games and exploring new ideas like Hunter's and Bianca's homes. They weren't greatly executed but with a little epicizing and stylizing they could be so awesome.

Speaking of lore, I want more depth into the Dragon eggs. Where exactly do they come from? Why do the faeries need to bring them? Where are the female dragons? Are dragon eggs not made through, shall we say, conventional means?
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#4 Posted: 17:30:24 06/03/2018
Oooh, time travel! That's a great idea. I loved the shadow realm in Shadow Legacy too. What about tying the two together, each level having a 'past' and 'present', accessible through gates/portals/runes/etc. (This starts to get complicated, though, so maybe it isn't really Spyro-y enough?)

Just spitballing here.
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12740
#5 Posted: 17:34:56 06/03/2018
I'd love to hear more about Ripto's backstory. I always found it odd that they never explained why he hates dragons.

I'd also like to know who Spyro's parents are.

As for gameplay features, I'd like skateboarding to return.
#6 Posted: 17:35:43 06/03/2018 | Topic Creator
THAT. IS. AWESOME!

It could work like the Shadow Realm in SL where you just toggle between the two. There are so many games out there that use time altering mechanics well already they they could do so much with this idea! Like you have to change seasons to freeze or unfreeze a river to cross it or move a seed to an area in the past so you have a platform to climb in the present/future. Not every level would have to be that way either. It could be that the villain in this scenario hasn't affected all the levels yet and you have to beat them to some while saving others.
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#7 Posted: 18:01:07 06/03/2018
And imagine if you could pick whether to play a level in just the present or past? Certain paths could be accessed by using both, like you said, so the level could potentially be played three ways depending on whether you pick one era and stick to it or switch between the two.

That way, as well, people who don't like the time travelling 'gimmick' could stick to the 'present' version of each level and it would play like any other Spyro game. A subplot/lore could be put in the 'past' levels to reward everyone else.

I think this idea could have insane replay value too. Spyro games can already be completed differently on every play through thanks to being able to choose which order you do the levels in each homeworld, but add two versions of each level... Woah.
#8 Posted: 19:28:14 06/03/2018 | Topic Creator
YES! I LOVE that idea!
LindseyWednesdy Blue Sparx Gems: 769
#9 Posted: 19:32:20 06/03/2018
Real free flight. that would be beautiful. I mean around every level. Like, after you beat the game 100%, please!
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
#10 Posted: 19:39:02 06/03/2018 | Topic Creator
I like that as an extra after 100%, but I REALLY like my idea of a wind riding mechanic to supplement the gliding and expand the exploreable world 1000 fold. You could ride the wind to a specific destination, ride each wind in succession through the level for a skill point, or just ride them willy nilly for fun.
danyq94 Gold Sparx Gems: 2787
#11 Posted: 20:35:24 06/03/2018
The classic trilogy humor, probably.

Oh, and Hunter vs the Ufo sheeps
---
I love Crash & Spyro! Visit my italian site:
http://crashzone.forumcommunity.net
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#12 Posted: 21:46:14 06/03/2018
Looks like it’s going to be an unpopular opinion based on what you all suggested, but I’d really want whoever is going to handle future Spyro games to stick to their origins as much as possible.

I’d really like a deepest and more complex lore, more articulated stories, better defined side characters and even a horizontal plot spreaded across multiple games... But I strongly fear this would make the series loose itself.

Of course this doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want to see changes, not at all, and some of your suggestions are actually really cool like the time travel or the rideable wind currents.
Free flight could open up new post-game content in the form of extra explorable areas and NPCs which could give you missions scattered around the entire level.
I’d wouldn’t even be against the removal of portals in favor of a more open-world structure, as long as it provides enough variety with themes and level design.

But I’d keep the humour, mood and childlike feel.
No need to go for unnecessarily “mature” or even dark content; I truly wish for a new Classic era.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#13 Posted: 21:52:28 06/03/2018
free flight was a big thing to the old spyro fans back in the day. it was jus for fun knd of a thing, though. I think they could fit it in to the gameplay, but I would be happy with just having it as the last unlockable like in Spyro 1.
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
#14 Posted: 22:05:49 06/03/2018
Yeah, it could be cool even just as a way to explore the architecture of the levels from all the possible perspectives. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#15 Posted: 22:17:16 06/03/2018 | Topic Creator
Quote: Drek95
Looks like it’s going to be an unpopular opinion based on what you all suggested, but I’d really want whoever is going to handle future Spyro games to stick to their origins as much as possible.

I’d really like a deepest and more complex lore, more articulated stories, better defined side characters and even a horizontal plot spreaded across multiple games... But I strongly fear this would make the series loose itself.

Of course this doesn’t mean I wouldn’t want to see changes, not at all, and some of your suggestions are actually really cool like the time travel or the rideable wind currents.
Free flight could open up new post-game content in the form of extra explorable areas and NPCs which could give you missions scattered around the entire level.
I’d wouldn’t even be against the removal of portals in favor of a more open-world structure, as long as it provides enough variety with themes and level design.

But I’d keep the humour, mood and childlike feel.
No need to go for unnecessarily “mature” or even dark content; I truly wish for a new Classic era.

I get why you'd fear that given what's happened to Spyro over the years, but it all comes down to the development team. I wouldn't want anything too grim like LOS, but slightly more weighty themes and tones could work just fine if handled right.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#16 Posted: 22:39:31 06/03/2018
I don't want this series to turn into the generic hack and slash affair it turned into in the TLOS trilogy again. I just want an actually good Spyro 4.

I also don't want this series to turn into the stereotypical dark, edgy, last minute love interest parody of itself like the TLOS trilogy did.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
#17 Posted: 23:17:16 06/03/2018 | Topic Creator
No, no one does that's why the team is the defining factor. LOS could've been good, thus a more story driven Spyro the dragon could be good as long as they do what LOS did or what it tried to do.
#18 Posted: 00:42:06 07/03/2018
one thing to remember is that this is activision, and they like curveballs. I do fear we're going to get something weird after the remakes. hard to imagine them not injecting a business notion into the games if they indeed continue.
---
#19 Posted: 01:16:22 07/03/2018
Quote: LindseyWednesdy
one thing to remember is that this is activision, and they like curveballs. I do fear we're going to get something weird after the remakes. hard to imagine them not injecting a business notion into the games if they indeed continue.

Which is precisely the reason why I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Project Falcon to actually be about the Classic Trilogy’s remakes and not a brand new game.

As sad and pathetic as it may sound, I really do want to play the originals again in next-gen glory before venturing into whatever unknown way the future holds for the series.

There is a small part of me which believes Activision finally understood what people want from Crash and Spyro and what they’d be more than willing to spend their money for but yes, they do like to surprise us.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:18:31 07/03/2018 by Drek95
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#20 Posted: 01:25:56 07/03/2018
Quote: Drek95
Quote: LindseyWednesdy

Which is precisely the reason why I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Project Falcon to actually be about the Classic Trilogy’s remakes and not a brand new game.

As sad and pathetic as it may sound, I really do want to play the originals again in next-gen glory before venturing into whatever unknown way the future holds for the series.

There is a small part of me which believes Activision finally understood what people want from Crash and Spyro and what they’d be more than willing to spend their money for but yes, they do like to surprise us.

The fact that Vicarious Visions was taking in fan feedback about the N. Sane Trilogy before it launched gives me hope for future Crash games/the Spyro remakes/any further Spyro games.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
#21 Posted: 01:30:42 07/03/2018
Same, and I sincerely and strongly hope they will keep looking for feedback and listening to constructive criticism.
I sorta have this more or less irrational fear about the N. Sane Trilogy being an exception which won’t be repeated.

Which is also due to the fact I’d still want Toys for Bob to be behind the Spyro remakes because of their style and passion for the series, even though V.V. would probably handle them better under a technical point of view.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#22 Posted: 01:44:39 07/03/2018
A little bit more "open world" like A Hero's Tail but the worlds should be more connected together and maybe bigger.

Cynder, Flame and Ember and some more dragons in Spyro's age.

New abilities for Spyro.
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#23 Posted: 06:26:14 07/03/2018
If the elemental breath mechanic makes a comeback, I'd hope to see it used more often than Enter the Dragonfly and A Hero's Tail. I'm not saying you've have to quickly swap between the two during combat all the time (although that would make it much more involved), but making it so you can't 100% complete a level or lobby early on until you've got something from the final lobby would be awesome. Gateway to Glimmer and Year of the Dragon flirt with the idea but never go so far with it.

I like what other users have suggested about time travel. It takes me back to Donkey Kong 64 when you had to change the same level's season via the hub, but it would have different effects. This was also seen in two of the GBA Zelda games, and the lesser known Spyro spin-off "Spyro's Schoolhouse Class 4: Pros and Cons of Communism".

Finally, I concur with Drek95, especially if I knew Activision got too big for their britches (so, always) and wanted to move the series into a direction that'll capture more people. Because it worked so well when more vehicle stages were added, or rather, replaced platforming in Crash and Spyro. Remember the rule of KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid. Spyro doesn't need risks and new directions - its fanbase has, and always will, stand the test of time.
#24 Posted: 15:30:37 08/03/2018 | Topic Creator
That's a good point John. I would LOVE the elemental breaths too!
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#25 Posted: 18:20:28 08/03/2018
It would be cool if each dragon species had a different elemental power! I don't know what each would have exactly, but it would help make each species more unique. Maybe they could keep the idea of Spyro being a purple dragon to explain why he can use all of their powers, or perhaps the leaders of each Dragon race passes their power on to Spyro to reward him for helping them, or to help aid him in their land?

Oh, and I saw earlier that you guys were talking about time travel? WELL, I heard that apparently that was Insomniac's idea for a fourth Spyro game that was never meant to be. It could be possible that if they do make a new Spyro game afterwards that it'd involve time travel. c:

But I 100% agree with LindseyWednesday about the free flight thing! I've been dreaming about that since I was a kiddo, and DotD sorta pooped on that idea.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#26 Posted: 20:13:03 08/03/2018
^ I sure hope Spyro keeps the different elements. I have been in love with Spyro's different elements since Enter the Dragonfly! he has pretty much kept them ever since, in a new game, I would be surprised if they didn't have elements for him, still. ^_^
---
#27 Posted: 23:30:13 10/03/2018 | Topic Creator
Level design that's flows naturally and makes logical sense. Take the castle in Evening Lake for example; there's a bridge that goes nowhere, and random rooms that don't connect or have an obvious purpose within the context of being in the castle. I think it'd be way better if the castle actually made sense as a castle.
#28 Posted: 02:13:10 17/03/2018 | Topic Creator
Am I the only one who thinks it'd be the best thing ever if we could work with/infiltrate the forces of evil in the Dragon Realms and see the villains' side of the world? I love the idea of pretending to be a villain, using magic to disguise yourself and work with your enemies to defeat them! SOOO many game play, lore and character possibilities!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me