Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Them's Fightin' Herds All-Purpose - OUT NOW!
Page 1 of 1
Them's Fightin' Herds All-Purpose - OUT NOW!
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#1 Posted: 22:41:34 29/12/2017 | Topic Creator
Creating another thread now that the old one's gone and the game is close to release.

[User Posted Image]
http://www.mane6.com/

Quote:
Fœnum is a world inhabited entirely by sentient four legged, hoofed mammals. Across the land, these creatures have thrived much as we humans have, building societies and creating cultures revolving around the natural environment their particular species is indigenous to.

Right now, Fœnum is dominated by these hoofed mammals, but this was not always the case. Long ago, the very lives of the Fœnicians were threatened daily by the presence of PREDATORS. Toothy, carnivorous beasts who were eventually BANISHED to a magical realm generations ago, ushering in a prosperous and peaceful era for the grateful grass eaters.

But the time of peace is almost over. Countless packs and prides of Predators have discovered a way to escape their supernatural prison and are on the verge of infiltrating Fœnum en masse, led by the greatest and most horrible of them all! And so each nation of Fœnum has sent their strongest, bravest, most skilled of their race to face the Predators’ Leader and close the portal of the prison realm with an enchanted key. But it is up to each of these “Key Seekers” to become the one and only “Key Keeper” by securing the key for themselves – even if it means to take it by force! Which it does.

Who will claim the key? Who will face the terrifying leader of the predators? And will she save Fœnum? You will have to play to find out!

Them's Fightin' Herds is a fighting game based on the defunct Fighting is Magic fan-game project, using the Z-Engine from acclaimed fighting game Skullgirls to revive its various mechanics and finish Mane6's many year long work. The game is based around the theme of ungulates from a fantasy world fighting against the threat of villainous carnivores, designed by My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic creator Lauren Faust. The game is also known for its amazing music from composer Stuart Ferguson, also known as RC88.

As of Sep 2019, the game is on Early Access due to external circumstances, and because of those issues 1.0 was pushed back so they could launch Story Mode with more content than initially planned. The game was launched in April 30th.

The current characters are:

• Arizona, a hotblooded cow ready to prove her worth to her species.
  • Velvet, an elegant deer with great magic powers and an ego to match.
  • Oleander, an unicorn changed by her dark magic partner Fhtng(Fred), attempting to prove the world the heroic potential of the darkness.
  • Paprika, a.... Special kind of llama, with her destructive love directed towards the ungulates' common enemy.
  • Pom, a shy sheep, sent against her will to save her world for speaking up, with her mysterious dog companions as her only help.
  • Tianhuo, a mature Longma general, still learning about compassion and how life isn't solely about being the winner.
  • Shanty , a pirate goat supposedly hunting Key Seekers.
  • (redacted) in the Salt Mines only.

Old trailer

---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 18 times - Last edited at 20:32:02 10/08/2020 by Bifrost
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#2 Posted: 18:36:54 31/12/2017
OST is pretty good
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6239
#3 Posted: 03:57:35 03/01/2018
It's finally coming?

It feels like a lot of the hype surrounding it probably has disappeared a good bit. A lot of the attention and goodwill it got was based on its origins as an MLP fighting game, and with the brony community seemingly dwindling and moving on I wonder how many still pay attention to this one.
#4 Posted: 12:58:16 03/01/2018 | Topic Creator
Yup, next month.

It's pretty much survivjng off of people who let MLP go or some experimental fighting game fans. I recall way tol many bronies getting furious over the fact Lauren stepped up to help them but made it lack ponies entirely(and also a harder fighting game because of the Mike Z-Engine), so I don't blame Mane6 for not caring in return and even changing terms on their forums to not mention the show.

One thing I forgot to note is that story mode will be episodic, and while all characters but Goat will be avaliable from the start, only Arizona will have a story mode by launch. The usual issue with running out of funds I bet, but they at least the main artist has work streams to show she's in fact working on that front.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:59:01 03/01/2018 by Bifrost
icedragon333 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6076
#5 Posted: 19:23:51 15/01/2018
I'd actually like to buy the finished product.
I've been following it since before they had to completely change it.

This kind of game doesn't really get much attention these days. As AAA game designers milk them for money too much. So it's good that a designed-for-quality fightin' game is coming out.

Edit: Back when it happened, yes I was upset that it was shut down, but was happy to hear that they could continue development, even if it meant ditching all their previous art assets and starting from scratch with lore/backstory and art.
---
No.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:26:17 15/01/2018 by icedragon333
#6 Posted: 19:31:56 15/01/2018 | Topic Creator
A lot was still kept, icedragon, which is why Goat girl is still the only one we have no info about. Though with slight changes, Velvet is still about fighting with grace and magic, Oleander still has the same reading spells mechanic, Pom is still about summoning animals. With the way developers seem to regularly run out of money halfway through development, starting Fighting is Magic was kind of a blessing since there was no need for alpha for TFH(except for the dynamic music gimmick).
---
icedragon333 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6076
#7 Posted: 22:47:58 15/01/2018
I am aware that a lot was kept.
I could draw comparisons between the characters and the 'original characters' in FiM.

So yes, the Goat is the unknown because there is no character from the former Fighting is Magic to draw from. She'll be the most original character released in the game. Oleander is my favorite, such a dark design.

And the music is wonderful
---
No.
#8 Posted: 22:54:16 15/01/2018 | Topic Creator
I think they said in a stream Goat and any new characters will be based on scrapped updates to Fighting is Magic(so any S1-S2 characters), but yeah they don't actually have gameplay decided yet.

I like the OST as a whole for sure, but dunno, Final Round themes didn't catch my interest too much. Probably because it loops part of the song rather than just adding the new instruments.
---
#9 Posted: 00:18:47 06/02/2018 | Topic Creator

IT'S HERE! FEB 22ND!

Full notes and etc.

Bonus:

Skullgirls, Blazblue and Guilty Gear avatar packs for the online lobby if you own any of their newest versions!
---
#10 Posted: 16:26:42 06/02/2018
oh god it comes out on my birthday
#11 Posted: 13:18:44 10/02/2018 | Topic Creator

Yeyeyeyeye

Huh, I thought Christina Vee was called in back then and would've voiced someone? Oh well, can't wait to see these actors, I only recognize 3(including Tara Strong, obv).

As someone posted on the thread, here's a few reference points:

Arizona is Twoloight Sporkle, not to be confused with any small horse
Paprika is Tatsumaki from OPM
Velvet is A Lot of Ecchi Anime Characters
Pom is unknown except for one other obscure role
Oleander is Crowe from Kingslaive:FFXV
Tian is our very own Queen Cummulus from Skylanders Superchargers
Fhtng is Reaper from Overwatch, devs said they based him off the role of Lord Hater in Wander Over Yonder
Announcer is Professor Holbrook from Little Witch Academia

As another funny tidibit, didn't know Fhtng/Fred is a dev account on the forum. His occupation is, uh, Unicorn Youth Advisor. I need an adult.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 13:27:35 10/02/2018 by Bifrost
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#12 Posted: 14:01:30 10/02/2018
If this comes to console I might pick it up. Looks super out there and fun!
#13 Posted: 19:23:57 10/02/2018 | Topic Creator

Oh my god Fred randomly turns off his own filter

Here are a few taunts plus more of Fred the Casual Eldritch Abomination
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:26:51 10/02/2018 by Bifrost
#14 Posted: 18:40:36 15/02/2018
actually looks pretty good! how much is it?
#15 Posted: 18:47:54 15/02/2018 | Topic Creator
15 bucks! And if you like getting destroyed in online, it'll even have an opening tournament.
---
#16 Posted: 19:03:05 15/02/2018
interesting. i'll have to pick it up once i get a new computer.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:10:35 15/02/2018 by ZapNorris
#17 Posted: 23:11:04 22/02/2018 | Topic Creator
https://rc88.bandcamp.com/albu...rds-the-best-of

http://store.steampowered.com/..._Fightin_Herds/

Game(in Early Acess due to IRL dev team problems) and soundtrack ARE OUT!

If you own a copy of Skullgirls, you get a 25% discount! Story Mode and a few other parts are still missing because of said dev problems, however, the PvE dungeon and versus(online and local) are fully working.
---
#18 Posted: 00:02:32 28/06/2018 | Topic Creator
https://www.mane6.com/?p=1554

Big bump for an update that's been a long time coming - what happened to the game still being stuck in Early Acess.

Tl;dr, the artists that pushed the version back had even bigger IRL issues than anticipated, and it's actually 3 people out of the game for the foreseeable future. Being, well, the Mane 6, they're scrambling for a replacement artist but that can only speed up so much. However, they're trying to get in some other QoL changes and a few extra animations in the meantime.
---
#19 Posted: 18:02:48 26/01/2019 | Topic Creator
https://forums.themsfightinher...ins-mane6.1935/

Finally a positive bump! The team has hired a new manager and the expectation is to leave Early Acess this year. Which is good, the forums were having a slow death already.
---
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3859
#20 Posted: 16:40:16 28/01/2019
oh man that game still isnt out yet?!
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
#21 Posted: 19:52:22 28/01/2019 | Topic Creator
Quote: ThunderEgg
oh man that game still isnt out yet?!

It has been on Early Acess this entire time because there were things ranging from a house fire to "serious IRL things" with some of the devs, making them roll back to 0.9 until now. Seems like the new manager and the new pixel artists(for Lobby stuff) helped them get back on track though, because they'll go back to the same promise as before of having the first chapter of the story mode ready on release.
---
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#22 Posted: 21:17:52 28/01/2019
To be honest... six playable characters is way too few. I feel like that will make the game get boring way too fast.
#23 Posted: 21:23:44 28/01/2019 | Topic Creator
Goat will come after 1.0.
---
MugoUrth Ripto Gems: 3234
#24 Posted: 00:01:54 29/01/2019
Quote: Bifrost
Goat will come after 1.0.

So 7 playable characters? That's still pretty puny.
#25 Posted: 16:46:56 01/02/2019 | Topic Creator
https://clips.twitch.tv/Import...terySuperVinlin

eyes emoji here. I love fighting games where the level 3 is more for the spectacle than anything.

edit: Here's the work stream! It has recent Early Acess footage too, for who isn't following development and want to see how things are looking. This is great for me because I uninstalled until I can actually do anything with my save without wipes anyway - I think last update already removed target practice scores, again.

---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:36:30 05/02/2019 by Bifrost
#26 Posted: 01:14:29 07/02/2019 | Topic Creator
Also, in the newest Backer update thread, Goat DLC has been confirmed as female. That's weird, I remember the devs saying the goat was going to be like Big Band and be the first male character in the cast.
---
gary Prismatic Sparx Gems: 11288
#27 Posted: 08:55:43 01/03/2019
I can't wait to test this game
---
"let go inside"Gary Sparkle said. (smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie are my collecting skylander)
#28 Posted: 13:49:29 12/09/2019 | Topic Creator
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/480282400

The game's online was completely overhauled! Now the Salt Mines, the place to get currency for your icon's hats and fight NPCs, was completely overhauled and now is a timed challenge akin to an MMO raid. Battles are snappy and quick and there are items to help get rid of predators or recover from damage. At the end, the winner takes their salt and everyone else has to fight against draining health to keep theirs. Everyone gets a hat in the end regardless of standing.

end of raid spoilers:

the winner also becomes the Bear boss character, which now has a full useable moveset. The first secret character, kinda!
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 14:09:27 12/09/2019 by Bifrost
#29 Posted: 22:47:14 28/11/2019 | Topic Creator
Level 3s are now in process! Here are the twitch clips for each one, beware of cardboard frames as they're huge WIPs:

Arizona
Velvet
Tianhuo
Paprika
Pom
Oleander
---
#30 Posted: 00:04:00 07/03/2020 | Topic Creator
The release date for 1.0 is April 2nd! The update will include the first part of the Story Mode, which has been just revealed to not only be fighting game, but also Break the Targets-y plataformer and with tons of RPG elements and obstacle courses.

Unfortunately Level 3 supers won't be available for main release, but it's very close.

edit: also updated the banner to the new boxart!
edit2: i should just stop updating the title they got delayed because of a critical problem+covid-19
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 12:28:15 30/03/2020 by Bifrost
#31 Posted: 01:19:38 01/05/2020 | Topic Creator
Bump because the game is FINALLY OUT! And in the last hour of the day, too. Not enough time to try and get an easy Salt Mines skin I guess
---
sans Gold Sparx Gems: 2241
#32 Posted: 01:42:02 01/05/2020
whoa nice!
---
smiliesmiliesmilie
#33 Posted: 20:31:25 10/08/2020 | Topic Creator

Shanty the Goat has been revealed as the sixth character! We'll get details this friday.
---
#34 Posted: 19:35:58 22/11/2023 | Topic Creator
The game will cease development after the next 2 characters, cancelling Story Mode entirely.

The fact I didn't even post about Texas and Stronghoof says it all. Their acquisition honestly soured me a lot on the game as it just slowly lost what made it unique compared to...well... skullgirls
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me