darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > The Future Of The Skylanders Franchise: What we Know And What We Don't.
Page 1 of 1
The Future Of The Skylanders Franchise: What we Know And What We Don't.
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1806
#1 Posted: 01:22:49 22/10/2017 | Topic Creator
The future of the franchise this is a touchy topic to a certain extent.

Confirmed:
Q1 2018 mobile game
Skylanders Academy Season 3
New merch

Unconfirmed:
Skylanders 7
Skylanders Academy Season 4

Rumor/possible leaks (currently is NOT confirmed by Activison)
Interview (now deleted) talks about the future of the franchise and that the seventh game is still in development. Leaked info comes from a developer at TFB.
In VV's studio tour video, it is shown that they still have and still use their 3D print Skylanders room.
David A. Rodreguez had what seemed to be a new figure in his hand but was blurred out in the video.

(This section will be updated if new leaks/rumours pop up)

If there's more I will edit the topic.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:15:21 22/11/2017 by SkyFan91
#2 Posted: 01:30:40 22/10/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Drawdler
When was that interview from?

From late June that some long time friends found. They aren't Skylanders fans so they didn't grab the screenshots before it was taken down. They were surfing the Internet for a collab about Spyro (collab is currently scrapped) and they came across it when looking if there was info in regards to Skylanders. They found it a week after E3. Last time I've talked about the interview a flame war was surely going to break out in regards to the legitimacy so I hope that doesn't happen like last time.
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#3 Posted: 07:18:49 22/10/2017
In business, is Q1 2018 considered January-April, or does it begin sometime in November and end in February? Just wondering when to expect more information in the game and being cautious of delays.

Also, do we know anything about the mobile game besides it being on mobile? smilie
bisylizzie Emerald Sparx Gems: 3913
#4 Posted: 13:14:45 22/10/2017
Quote: Johnbonne
In business, is Q1 2018 considered January-April, or does it begin sometime in November and end in February? Just wondering when to expect more information in the game and being cautious of delays.

Also, do we know anything about the mobile game besides it being on mobile? smilie

Q1 is January-March

What we know about the mobile game -
Developed by Com2us (most known for Summoner's War)
It's going to be a roleplaying game
Might be a mix of real time and turn based?
Only official date thing announced seems to be the first half of 2018 (unless something was said recently that I missed)
(Some of this info comes from a Korean press release, Com2us is a Korean company - http://www.etoday.co.kr/news/s...p?idxno=1454768)
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#5 Posted: 13:39:11 22/10/2017
Summoners War, typo is part of the title.

They don't seem like the type to delay a mobile game, but after Battlecast, we might get it in Q3 with no announcement and then Acti will blame the devs for a marketing mistake far from their control :'D
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#6 Posted: 13:56:16 22/10/2017
I'd list the interview as possibly not real, JUST in case.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#7 Posted: 15:10:52 22/10/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
I'd list the interview as possibly not real, JUST in case.

That's why it was put in the rumour section. :V
#8 Posted: 15:21:31 22/10/2017
Should've figured that, but I missed that it was in the rumor section.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#9 Posted: 15:41:31 22/10/2017
Can't help but feel that interview (and the VV dev communicating with you) are either you lying for attention, or someone is playing you.
---
bye
#10 Posted: 16:07:33 22/10/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: newkill
Can't help but feel that interview (and the VV dev communicating with you) are either you lying for attention, or someone is playing you.

I wouldn't lie about stuff like this. Lying about the future of the franchise is just heartless and cruel.
#11 Posted: 17:50:04 22/10/2017
Quote: SkyFan91

I wouldn't lie about stuff like this. Lying about the future of the franchise is just heartless and cruel.

I believe you think there WAS an interview, but on wether the interview actually existed is the part I'm not sure on.
---
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#12 Posted: 18:14:12 22/10/2017
If only there were some way to check pages that used to exist...
---
Soon.
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#13 Posted: 08:42:53 23/10/2017
Quote: emeraldzoroark
If only there were some way to check pages that used to exist...

If you saved the link it may be possible thanks to cache viewing, but only for a short period after it has been deleted:

http://cachedview.com/
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#14 Posted: 18:03:16 23/10/2017
While not directly related to Skylanders news, Lego Dimensions has been officially cancelled.

https://kotaku.com/lego-dimens...over-1819774166

This does not bode well for Toys to Life as a genre. smilie
#15 Posted: 19:56:12 23/10/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: McMurderpaws
While not directly related to Skylanders news, Lego Dimensions has been officially cancelled.

Saw earlier today. It's quite sad for the fans of LD
mastermc54 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3448
#16 Posted: 12:53:15 24/10/2017

Toys to Life is dead. I received the Toys R Us Holiday book in the mail today. Of 120 pages of toys, TTL gets one page shoved in there, with Skylanders being a footnote with a lone listing for Lost Imaginite Mines. In it's heyday, Skylanders would have gotten a full 2 page spread on it's own with all the dazzling figures and scattered mentions in other merchandise such as back packs and school supplies...what a sad fall from grace.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#17 Posted: 13:04:07 24/10/2017
As several users including me have said, TTL seems to be dead except for a few franchises that don't need it to stay afloat. Skylanders could very well survive on a gimmick change... Buuut this is Acti, who is an AAA publisher with a whopping two games to speak of for this end of the year. Plus Crash, but that isn't getting stuffed with DLC.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#18 Posted: 13:12:01 24/10/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: mastermc54

Toys to Life is dead. I received the Toys R Us Holiday book in the mail today. Of 120 pages of toys, TTL gets one page shoved in there, with Skylanders being a footnote with a lone listing for Lost Imaginite Mines. In it's heyday, Skylanders would have gotten a full 2 page spread on it's own with all the dazzling figures and scattered mentions in other merchandise such as back packs and school supplies...what a sad fall from grace.

This isn't the right topic to talk about this stuff. Take it to the general discussion topic. :V
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#19 Posted: 14:13:42 24/10/2017
I have to say that while Skylanders could very well continue without its TTL aspect, I'm confident it won't, and that's because I honestly don't see Activision supporting this franchise without new overpriced figure to sell.
They don't see a good series, with lots of heart put in it and many story and worldbuilding possibilities, they only see more plastic to put in stores every year.

And that has been clear since SA.

Prove me wrong, financial geniuses.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#20 Posted: 14:39:14 24/10/2017
Definitely, the toys were a significant part of the cash, nor that I know the exact share but it's pretty obvious.

What matters to a company to Activision though, is the profit, no matter where does it come from. If they find a way to build that profit again even without releasing physical toys there might a comeback for the franchise.

How to do that? That's the million dollar question.

What is a pity though, is that Skylanders feels like a spoil trademark: millions of families have their toys in their homes and are familiar with the characters, the most difficult part of whatever business pretends to be succesful, the popularity, it is more than achieved. So much potential in there...it would feel like a waste not doing anything with that.

All of this reminds me of other vintage franchises who were forgotten in their glorious era and over time, they make it again to the public: Berserk, Saint Seiya, Oliver and Benji. Sure there are others who were forgotten and never return, but Skylanders has been so massive, that I expect them to return...somehow, someday.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:41:45 24/10/2017 by angelg
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9212
#21 Posted: 19:03:13 24/10/2017
I'm sure Skylanders will return, maybe Activision just want a break from the series? Which can't be a bad thing.

Maybe they will somehow tie it in with Academy at some point? And make a Skylander game from that? I'm also hoping for a classic Spyro remake, I wouldn't even mind if it was Skyro in the game, with the Skylander theme towards it, wouldn't bother me all that much, I must admit, I think the Skylanders have a bigger universe than what the originals had, perhaps they could combine the two for the remake? I don't know.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
#22 Posted: 19:44:20 24/10/2017

This isn't the right topic to talk about this stuff. Take it to the general discussion topic. :V

What the heck are you talking about? This whole thread should be moved there then because it has nothing to do with Imaginators. Don't single my post out since my comment may have upset your Skybuzz. If anything, my post is relevant to Imaginators as opposed to the rest of the thread since I mentioned the Lost Imaginite Mines.
#23 Posted: 20:30:10 24/10/2017 | Topic Creator

What the heck are you talking about? This whole thread should be moved there then because it has nothing to do with Imaginators. Don't single my post out since my comment may have upset your Skybuzz. If anything, my post is relevant to Imaginators as opposed to the rest of the thread since I mentioned the Lost Imaginite Mines.

I'm not telling you to take the post out entirely. What in saying so to take it to the general discussion topic about Skylanders Imaginators. This topic is about the future of the franchise.
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5357
#24 Posted: 21:23:20 24/10/2017
This still might relevant.
---
Soon.
#25 Posted: 21:44:42 24/10/2017
No worries...no harm, no foul. However, what I pointed out in my post based on what I received in the mail doesn't bode well for the future of the franchise. Skylanders TTL and associated backpacks/merchandise used to be more of a feature with past Toys R Us holiday books. It's just a sign of the times...that's all. I speak as somebody who has bought Skylanders backpacks, lunch boxes, plush toys, and various knickknack Skylanders for family.
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 8506
#26 Posted: 23:04:59 25/10/2017
Quote: Drek95
I have to say that while Skylanders could very well continue without its TTL aspect, I'm confident it won't, and that's because I honestly don't see Activision supporting this franchise without new overpriced figure to sell.
They don't see a good series, with lots of heart put in it and many story and worldbuilding possibilities, they only see more plastic to put in stores every year.

And those plastic figures sit at used video games stores forever. Have you seen the piles of them sitting in those stores? No one's buying them.
---
You gotta believe! Heh heh.
#27 Posted: 00:26:43 26/10/2017
Quote: JCW555

And those plastic figures sit at used video games stores forever. Have you seen the piles of them sitting in those stores? No one's buying them.

No one is buying them anymore.

And that's not only because of how unclear the franchise's situation is right now, it's also because they gradually became less important and "special".
They nailed them in SA and Giants, probably because the first felt new and fresh while the second chose to focus on a smaller cast and made the Gimmicklanders stand out completely from the rest of the roster, while still making them feel like Skylanders.

SWAP Force might have made the mistake of re-introducing a bigger cast, but it made its Gimmicklanders extremely unique and fun to play, to the point that each one added something new to the collection thanks to the increased combinations.

But the last three games...?
Trap Masters were bigger (and pricier) Cores, with a damage boost against bosses which only lasted for one entry, SuperChargers (the brand new ones, at least) were a nice transition between Cores and Gimmicklanders but got completely overshadowed by vehicles and Senseis are once again bigger Cores, which have a nice sinergy with Imaginators and posses a very strong attack.
Cores were the best in terms of designs, gameplay and price and they disappeared after Trap Team.

That's without mentioning traps, vehicles and Creation Crystals, with the former being nerfed to the point of irrelevance as the series progressed.

The delicate alchemy is making customers want new characters, without forcing them to have them by using in-game paywalls; however, you also have to justify the price of those figures and no, using more plastic to make them bigger isn't enough.
I bought them anyway because I wanted to try them all, but also know I'm in the minority: normal customers buy what they feel is worth their money, and they have plenty of reasons to have doubts at this point.

(Oh and, by the way, that "financial geniuses" was directed to Activision.
Just realized it may sound like I was talking to other users here, was totally not my intention! smilie)
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:32:46 26/10/2017 by Drek95
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#28 Posted: 23:10:12 27/10/2017
i just hope the skylanders is over for good, it was a good run and it had good games. but activisions are ramping up their microtransactions. and what we did see with the two last game, the superchargers getting pacthed with microtransactions after release and imaginators getting microtransactions chest that act like loot boxes and crystals. i think it would just have become worse. the games is super expensive as it is with buying all the figures. so i am really glad the skylanders games have ended...

here is the lastest microtransactions news and future forward for activisions..
http://www.playstationlifestyl...r-live-streams/

i will be boycotting the mobile skylanders for sure, its not a game at all, its just made to drain your wallets...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
GaiaMemories Emerald Sparx Gems: 3753
#29 Posted: 23:13:44 27/10/2017
Because it's not like you couldn't just not buy every figure or ignore the microtransactions...... *eye roll*
---
Hahahahaha
#30 Posted: 00:09:44 28/10/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: CountMoneyBone
i just hope the skylanders is over for good, it was a good run and it had good games. but activisions are ramping up their microtransactions. and what we did see with the two last game, the superchargers getting pacthed with microtransactions after release and imaginators getting microtransactions chest that act like loot boxes and crystals. i think it would just have become worse. the games is super expensive as it is with buying all the figures. so i am really glad the skylanders games have ended...

here is the lastest microtransactions news and future forward for activisions..
http://www.playstationlifestyl...r-live-streams/

i will be boycotting the mobile skylanders for sure, its not a game at all, its just made to drain your wallets...

You're gonna stoop to that level? Boycotting? Woooooooooow
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#31 Posted: 06:55:46 22/11/2017
Quote: GaiaMemories
Because it's not like you couldn't just not buy every figure or ignore the microtransactions...... *eye roll*

You are correct in that you don't HAVE to purchase all the characters, yet to enjoy any meaningful amount of a couple of the entries, you had to spend another $200 or so......that's absurd to no end. It's why I don't understand why people were excited by the new element or why fans propose another. It's just madness to want yet another piece that means sections of the game are walled off.

This is why there is such a divide in opinions over whether Trap Team was the best or the worst. Aside from what system you got it for (that haunts Swap Force more however) how much cash you could burn to load up on all the essential stuff determined if you could play the game or be extremely limited with what you could do. I don't see any 12-year-olds on youtube with only a half dozen Skylanders saying Trap Team is their favorite. It tends to be the kids with Skylander figure back drops.

Games like Giants and Swap Force are a little different story with many more casuals claiming those as their favorite entries.
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#32 Posted: 07:28:52 22/11/2017
with that studio tour thing, i suppose this topic is relevant again.

although, skyfan91 is HIGHLY unqualified to be updating this thread.
#33 Posted: 19:37:53 22/11/2017
I'll post here what I posted in the topic Zap mentioned.

There is an image on a poster shown at the beginning and end of the video, which may show a group of characters in a typical promotional art style.

Think about this, but without the text and more variety in terms of sizes, shapes and poses (I think):
[User Posted Image]

I could barely make out the fact there were characters there, but I'll definitely try to analize it a bit more.
It might be our first look at something new, which may or may not still be possible.

UPDATE:
so, two of them are definitely Big Bubble Pop Fizz and Splat, and the others don't look like Skylanders, except maybe for one which could be a Fire characters.
I'm leaning towards it being a shot of V.V.'s "mascots".
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:44:45 22/11/2017 by Drek95
#34 Posted: 20:17:45 22/11/2017 | Topic Creator
I'll post here what I posted in the topic Zap mentioned.

There is an image on a poster shown at the beginning and end of the video, which may show a group of characters in a typical promotional art style.

Think about this, but without the text and more variety in terms of sizes, shapes and poses (I think):
[User Posted Image]

I could barely make out the fact there were characters there, but I'll definitely try to analize it a bit more.
It might be our first look at something new, which may or may not still be possible.

UPDATE:
so, two of them are definitely Big Bubble Pop Fizz and Splat, and the others don't look like Skylanders, except maybe for one which could be a Fire characters.
I'm leaning towards it being a shot of V.V.'s "mascots".

Saw the poster you mentioned it's just a poster of a bit of everything type thing
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#35 Posted: 21:30:43 22/11/2017

Krakatoa
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#36 Posted: 21:46:07 22/11/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: King-Pen Krazy

Krakatoa

I didn't make up Krakatoa. We were all lied to with that leak
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me