Forum

Poll

Favourite Upgrade Path: Chompy Mage
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > I miss when I could put in a video game and that was it.
Page 1 of 1
I miss when I could put in a video game and that was it.
Drawdler Yellow Sparx Gems: 1633
#1 Posted: 12:54:20 07/10/2017 | Topic Creator
Maybe I'm just kinda dramatic because, for some reason, I've recently seen a lot of videos ranting about microtransactions and the opinion that gaming has gone downhill. It could be confirmation bias for me when I'm trying harder to be productive with my time. But I can't shake the feeling in the last couple of weeks that I really miss when I was a kid, and I had a GameBoy and GBA and the first two PlayStations and the DS and Wii, and when I got a game, that was usually it. An experience I could come back to and enjoy whenever I wanted, no worrying about **** like loot boxes or more stuff to pay or wait for or stuff that I could miss out on playing or earning forever or servers going down and all the issues that creates. I know I'm not old, but the way add-ons are handled really has shifted dramatically even within this generation.

Now, don't get me wrong on a few things-

1. I don't think all forms of modern DLC, patches, or downloads of other kinds are bad. They're very important to multiplayer-focused games, can truly expand games and keep them going for the better, and the digital marketplace gave rise to independent developers and some real gems from them, as well just as being a convenient option to purchase games from. Even as someone who generally prefers physical copies and self-contained games with minimal amounts of or no DLC, who can't really get into multiplayer-focused games, I can appreciate that we have those things now, especially more indie games. There are also cases of DLC I loved, namely MK8's and (pre-Treasure Trove) Shovel Knight's (but I think most of us can agree these are standout examples anyway).
2. I don't think gaming these days is nessicarily worse or better than it used to be (I just miss when it was simpler, truly "pop in and play" for a complete experience). It's very case-dependent, but I don't think all games have taken some nosedive in quality since gen 7 or something like that, I feel as though I like Gen 7 better than a lot of people did (although that was just when I happened to be really into playing games anyway, so nostalgia), and I do think with time a lot of **** from past generations has been forgotten or given the benefit of nostalgia.
3. There were games with "missable" content that I played while I was growing up. They aren't some totally new phenomenon and they don't ruin more modern games, they're usually just something that bugs me because of how I like my things to stay preserved, my issue is that I do feel as though they're a lot more common than they used to be. I totally missed Mario Kart Wii's tournaments, a few DS games I played had limited time "DLC" (in airquotes because, well, it wasn't quite DLC but was unlocked exclusively through the Internet), and while these are minor they're a damn shame to me and the experience of them is still "missable". I like to go back to experiences I loved and I often do so years after I first experienced them, so missing out on this kind of stuff or only being able to access it for a limited time does bug me- and older games aren't totally free of it. And hell, there are cases of older games that did have a considerable amount of content behind gates like this, like all the weekly puzzles in the Professor Layton games that could be lost if you never managed to download them or somehow lose your copy with the download or something. Again, it's a minor issue if it's just something like a few promotional items (which it usually was), and I can understand the argument that making things limited-time like holiday events or stuff makes them more exciting and makes things more special for everyone who was there, I'm just sharing my own view on it. I don't like content in entertainment restricted that way, just personally.
4. Online is awesome, I love being able to play MK8 with my boyfriend, I loved playing Pokémon online as a kid. I don't get into games that depend on it, myself, because I know someday that experience will end, but when it fits it's awesome and I can still appreciate that multiplayer-focused games thrive with it.

Okay, to be honest, I feel like I'm starting to rant... But I think about games nowadays and I'm kinda sad and a bit worried about their preservation and just all the minor inconvinces around them these days. Nothing will last forever, that's not avoidable just by having physical games and systems and removing DLC from them. Tonight I realised that even if I were to get old consoles I always wanted to try and experience, like the Genesis and physical copies of games I missed out on... I'm still kinda young. Chances are that most of those games and consoles, as well as the ones I do own and play now, are gonna die within my lifespan. I know my Skylanders and amiibo will. Emulation, while not the exact same experience, is a damn fine alternative but not available or stable for everything (I doubt anyone will care to do it properly for the aforementioned Skylanders). I'm not gonna say every single game needs to be preserved or something, because a lot of stuff is just mediocre, but imagine all the interesting titles or hidden gems we could lose just because nobody with the skills to preserve them cared or noticed. Imagine all the experiences you're gonna lose and not be able to revisit man. It's more important to enjoy things in the moment, but that's still sort of sad if you have a similar viewpoint to me about this topic. I dunno. It's 10 to midnight and I feel ramble tonight but I hope this sparks something here.

Oh yeah this probably belongs in VG but I personally don't check there and a mod can move it if it's that important sozzy
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:55:43 07/10/2017 by Drawdler
King-Pen Krazy Blue Sparx Gems: 958
#2 Posted: 13:47:04 07/10/2017
Quote: Drawdler

Maybe I'm just kinda dramatic because, for some reason, I've recently seen a lot of videos ranting about microtransactions and the opinion that gaming has gone downhill. It could be confirmation bias for me when I'm trying harder to be productive with my time. But I can't shake the feeling in the last couple of weeks that I really miss when I was a kid, and I had a GameBoy and GBA and the first two PlayStations and the DS and Wii, and when I got a game, that was usually it. An experience I could come back to and enjoy whenever I wanted, no worrying about **** like loot boxes or more stuff to pay or wait for or stuff that I could miss out on playing or earning forever or servers going down and all the issues that creates. I know I'm not old, but the way add-ons are handled really has shifted dramatically even within this generation.

Now, don't get me wrong on a few things-

1. I don't think all forms of modern DLC, patches, or downloads of other kinds are bad. They're very important to multiplayer-focused games, can truly expand games and keep them going for the better, and the digital marketplace gave rise to independent developers and some real gems from them, as well just as being a convenient option to purchase games from. Even as someone who generally prefers physical copies and self-contained games with minimal amounts of or no DLC, who can't really get into multiplayer-focused games, I can appreciate that we have those things now, especially more indie games. There are also cases of DLC I loved, namely MK8's and (pre-Treasure Trove) Shovel Knight's (but I think most of us can agree these are standout examples anyway).
2. I don't think gaming these days is nessicarily worse or better than it used to be (I just miss when it was simpler, truly "pop in and play" for a complete experience). It's very case-dependent, but I don't think all games have taken some nosedive in quality since gen 7 or something like that, I feel as though I like Gen 7 better than a lot of people did (although that was just when I happened to be really into playing games anyway, so nostalgia), and I do think with time a lot of **** from past generations has been forgotten or given the benefit of nostalgia.
3. There were games with "missable" content that I played while I was growing up. They aren't some totally new phenomenon and they don't ruin more modern games, they're usually just something that bugs me because of how I like my things to stay preserved, my issue is that I do feel as though they're a lot more common than they used to be. I totally missed Mario Kart Wii's tournaments, a few DS games I played had limited time "DLC" (in airquotes because, well, it wasn't quite DLC but was unlocked exclusively through the Internet), and while these are minor they're a damn shame to me and the experience of them is still "missable". I like to go back to experiences I loved and I often do so years after I first experienced them, so missing out on this kind of stuff or only being able to access it for a limited time does bug me- and older games aren't totally free of it. And hell, there are cases of older games that did have a considerable amount of content behind gates like this, like all the weekly puzzles in the Professor Layton games that could be lost if you never managed to download them or somehow lose your copy with the download or something. Again, it's a minor issue if it's just something like a few promotional items (which it usually was), and I can understand the argument that making things limited-time like holiday events or stuff makes them more exciting and makes things more special for everyone who was there, I'm just sharing my own view on it. I don't like content in entertainment restricted that way, just personally.
4. Online is awesome, I love being able to play MK8 with my boyfriend, I loved playing Pokémon online as a kid. I don't get into games that depend on it, myself, because I know someday that experience will end, but when it fits it's awesome and I can still appreciate that multiplayer-focused games thrive with it.

Okay, to be honest, I feel like I'm starting to rant... But I think about games nowadays and I'm kinda sad and a bit worried about their preservation and just all the minor inconvinces around them these days. Nothing will last forever, that's not avoidable just by having physical games and systems and removing DLC from them. Tonight I realised that even if I were to get old consoles I always wanted to try and experience, like the Genesis and physical copies of games I missed out on... I'm still kinda young. Chances are that most of those games and consoles, as well as the ones I do own and play now, are gonna die within my lifespan. I know my Skylanders and amiibo will. Emulation, while not the exact same experience, is a damn fine alternative but not available or stable for everything (I doubt anyone will care to do it properly for the aforementioned Skylanders). I'm not gonna say every single game needs to be preserved or something, because a lot of stuff is just mediocre, but imagine all the interesting titles or hidden gems we could lose just because nobody with the skills to preserve them cared or noticed. Imagine all the experiences you're gonna lose and not be able to revisit man. It's more important to enjoy things in the moment, but that's still sort of sad if you have a similar viewpoint to me about this topic. I dunno. It's 10 to midnight and I feel ramble tonight but I hope this sparks something here.

Oh yeah this probably belongs in VG but I personally don't check there and a mod can move it if it's that important sozzy

I must say, agreed

It's why I play more games from Nintendo as they rarely do DLC, and when they do, they have a special edition of the game with said DLC in it
---
Luke's gonna die in the next Star Wars movie, calling it right now
Crash10 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1702
#3 Posted: 14:50:32 07/10/2017
I was expecting ****posting you know.

But I agree with you. Preservation of modern culture in general is kinda worrying for people who work with preservation of history, and games are part of it. I generally don't get into multiplayer-focused games because I generally prefer single player experiences. I think emulation is important for people like me, who always get late to the party because they can't enjoy the games on their moment.
---
its nipples
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:58:03 07/10/2017 by Crash10
Pokemon2 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3007
#4 Posted: 14:55:13 07/10/2017
I agree with this luckily franchises like Just Dance no longer does DLC.
---
"I'm sorry, the old Pokemon2 can't come to the phone right now. Why? Oh, cuz he's dead"
Sesshomaru75 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4406
#5 Posted: 17:14:24 07/10/2017
I completely agree with what you've said, and I definitely see where you're coming from.

I think a huge problem with modern gaming is that, while patches and additional content is really nice to be able to have, it kind of gives developers the incentive to be lazy on purpose and fix problems later, or to charge extra for content that should already be in the base game.
The recent "gold, silver, normal" edition fad is easily one of my most hated business practices in the gaming industry at the moment, especially since it's begun to spread outside of fighting games to other types of games.
(Like Assassin's Creed: Origins and Middle-earth: Shadow of War)

I also really hate when developers announce DLC before a game even comes out because it usually makes me feel like the game isn't complete when it does, or that the developer is being exceptionally greedy.
I shouldn't have to pay $100+ - which is $40 more than usually MSRP for most major releases in gaming - for content that should be in the base game. It's ridiculous.
If they want to release DLC later and have some sort of expansion pass, that's fine, but don't do something like that so close to release.

There's also the matter of which you brought up, is the eventual end of services for consoles that games are on.
This obviously means that, unless someone finds a way to release patches and DLC after this happens, then you won't be able to get patches or DLC for certain games anymore.

Quote: King-Pen Krazy

I must say, agreed

It's why I play more games from Nintendo as they rarely do DLC, and when they do, they have a special edition of the game with said DLC in it

...You're joking, right? Nintendo is one of the worst companies when it comes to DLC at the moment, mainly due to content locked behind amiibos.

amiibos, while nice, are basically just over glorified physical DLC (So is Skylanders, and the now cancelled Disney Infinity) half the time.
A good example is how the hardest difficulty in Metroid: Samus Returns is locked behind the Samus Aran amiibo.

On top of that, even with the content that's locked behind them they aren't really worth the typical $15+ price tag unless you legitimately like the figure/character.
Scalping is also still a pretty big problem, and although Nintendo has been trying to fix that by reprinting a lot of older ones, it'll always be a problem. (Especially when they finally stop producing them)

They also went and announced DLC for Breath of The Wild before the game even came out, which was a completely stupid decision. Now while I will defend them in the sense that BOTW is still a complete game, it was still a really bad move from them.

But, yeah, kind of sick of seeing people say stuff like "Nintendo does DLC right" because they really don't. lol
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:16:36 07/10/2017 by Sesshomaru75
Muffin Man Yellow Sparx Gems: 1759
#6 Posted: 00:12:18 12/10/2017
I would like DLC a lot more if it was also sold physically as "expansion packs" or something. Like, imagine if they'd released an expansion pack disc for Super Smash Bros 4 with all the current DLC on it. I'd have been all over that. But as it stands, once the Wii U servers go down, new players (or old players, if our systems break or get wiped somehow) will have to rely on hackers to access DLC characters and stages. Same goes for all the new digital content in Breath of the Wild, or Skylanders Imaginators (although with Skylanders Imaginators I think all the digital content is at least available physically on the Switch version, unless I'm mistaken).
---
Currently seeking single female baker with nice muffins.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:18:17 12/10/2017 by Muffin Man
Seiki Emerald Sparx Gems: 3469
#7 Posted: 03:36:31 12/10/2017
Holy tl;dr....
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
Johnbonne Green Sparx Gems: 320
#8 Posted: 06:17:28 12/10/2017
I was about to make a rant video just complaining about the state of the industry and in how all my 20 years of gaming I've never wanted to give up on so-called AAA games. It's literally every week I'm hearing of a new horrible practice, to the point where I'd rather just hear about a bad pre-order scheme or season pass for a change (and the former wish was granted with Gamestop's dystopian message regarding the gall of an AC: Origins pre-order bonus). However, my last paragraph will point to some good news for UK folks!

There's not much I disagree with in your post, it's very nice to be reminded of the good and the great in an industry that continues to screw over programmers, artists, engineers, writers, voice actors and a country's economy thanks to publisher tax havens. Between pre-orders and piracy, there's a lot I'm glad exists and my life would be a whole lot different had it not been for vidya.

It's not all bad though - I've noticed some games don't require Day 1 updates, and many DLCs are being released stand alone which don't take away from the main game. I think now we've practically hit rock bottom, the only way is up. smilie

If there's any UK citizens here I'd strongly recommend signing this petition to put gambling laws in place for loot boxes. It'd be one step closer for games to become games again rather than predatory cross-promotions LOOKINGATYOUTOTINOSPIZZAWHATTHEHELLSTHATGOTTODOWITHSHADOWOFWAR, and hopefully the rest of the world will follow China's example! (Unless it's against forum rules to mention petitions, in which case I'll remove the link and just refer folks to petition.parliament.uk).
StevemacQ Emerald Sparx Gems: 4565
#9 Posted: 20:27:08 12/10/2017
As much as I love many modern games but the whole 7th and 8th generation are just not that attractive. While PlayStation 1 and 2 both had long load times with their games, you at least get what you paid for. PS3 on the other hand had mandatory patches that take ages and as well as installations that takes up more of your day than playing the games themselves. I remember I just to just pick up and play the PS2 Tekken games but Tekken 6's loading games are so bad, they're offensive.

Auto-saves are another problem because they're your only way to save progress but they take too long. One time when I was playing Tekken Tag 2, the power went out for a second but everything was then after... except my PS3, which took too long to scan or whatever it does when it turns on after it wasn't turned off properly. When I started Tag 2 again, all my saved progress was gone and I had to start all over. Why can't the PS3 be more like the PS2? Installs, patches and all that stuff you find on a computer, they don't make console gaming fun.

I hate is pre-order DLC. Why should we pay for something that could be a big fat lie and what if the pre-order content is just a minor mission?

Is it just me or are the people who say Stop shoving female characters down our throats and let enjoy our games! when it comes to small games, that have nothing to with their favourite games, are the same people who defend microtransactions and loot boxes/crates as It's just comestics, they're optional, you can ignore and earn everything in game.?

(Hi! I wasn't dead but my macbook charger was after two years, so I got a new one but I couldn't remember my password for here when using a PC.)
---
The world that inspired me is dying. I will cling to what is right and reject this new status quo set in motion.
Mary I Green Sparx Gems: 179
#10 Posted: 22:31:23 12/10/2017
Well, I miss when I could put heretics on the steak and burn them alive but I guess some things just have to change.
---
Truth is the daughter of time.
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 5197
#11 Posted: 22:51:39 12/10/2017
Quote: Mary I

Well, I miss when I could put heretics on the steak and burn them alive but I guess some things just have to change.

Yeah but this is more like each piece of wood was paid for separately and you had to wait for a year to buy the whole excecution pack instead of buying a piece every few months as they're finished/marketing catches up with it
---
I do art
Rip and tear, rip and tear your halos
Mary I Green Sparx Gems: 179
#12 Posted: 22:57:09 12/10/2017
Quote: Bifrost

Yeah but this is more like each piece of wood was paid for separately and you had to wait for a year to buy the whole excecution pack instead of buying a piece every few months as they're finished/marketing catches up with it

Oh, how awful! No one would ever get executed!
---
Truth is the daughter of time.
Crash10 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1702
#13 Posted: 02:30:09 13/10/2017

If I had Guestbook quotes...
---
its nipples
StormDragon21 Gold Sparx Gems: 2475
#14 Posted: 03:25:05 13/10/2017
Quote: Crash10

If I had Guestbook quotes...

I'll do it for you. Eventually.
---
Websites who sin together, win together.
Ask Tsara! She doesn't bite...
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me