Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > More Combat In Spyro/Skylanders
Page 1 of 1
More Combat In Spyro/Skylanders
ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#1 Posted: 21:28:29 30/08/2017 | Topic Creator
(Changed the topic title to include Skylanders)

Are you for it or against it? If it were incorporated into the next game how should it work in your opinion?

I could totally get behind a more combat heavy (but NOT combat intensive) Spyro game, as long as it was fun, varied, flowing and easy to learn. The Arkham games had the best combat of any game I've played, and I'd LOVE IT if Spyro had similar mechanics. You'd have to jump and dodge attacks to avoid being overpowered and utilize the camera to aim Spyro so you can keep your combo going. If you were over crowded you could use Sparx to create a force blast based on the breath type you're using at the time, like the fury attacks in LOS (for this kind of combat a proper health bar would work better than a 3-4 hit system. The way this works story wise is that as stated in YotD Spyro's magic has rubbed off on Sparx and he can use it to create explosions (with Spyro's help) when enough of it has built up. Spyro could use his breath attacks to deal greater damage and have a specific effect on enemies. It would leave him open to attack but some enemies would require magic to defeat like fire against and ice mage or electricity against a water creature.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 10:22:05 31/08/2017 by ClassicSpyroLUV
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 21:34:32 30/08/2017
Don't really care aside from bosses. Combat was always more like a puzzle during Classic, it's a shallow masher in LoS(a bit less in TEN but not solving the issue), and in Skylanders he's either a steamroller or purely ranged anyway. As far as we know, most devs don't know how to handle it in a satisfying way(especially since in Skylanders there are dozens of characters who have better mechanics), so I'd rather have simple combat and good level design.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:46:17 30/08/2017 by Bifrost
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#3 Posted: 21:42:22 30/08/2017
I think Spyro would work better with basic shooting, like those elemental bombs or something you get on A Hero's Tail. Still, I think that the combat works best as small puzzles (and by that I mean the simplest stuff like breaking an enemy's shield with a horn attack before burning him) and bigger ones for the bosses.
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:56:24 30/08/2017 by Crash10
#4 Posted: 21:47:36 30/08/2017
Quote: Crash10
I think Spyro would work better with basic shooting, like those elemental bombs or something you get on A Hero's Tail. Still, I think that the combat works best as small puzzles (and by that I mean from the simplest stuff like breaking an enemy's shield with a horn attack before burning him) and bigger ones for the bosses.

Expanding on the elemental bombs from AHT would actually be really cool. Make them work like bombs in Splatoon 2 with an indicator where it lands and you can make so many setpieces where he has to remove an enemy or obstacle where his breath is just out of reach.
---
#5 Posted: 22:03:08 30/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Yeah, I talked about this in another thread:

Quote:
Ice could be used for sharp shooting. You take a covert position, aim and zoom, pres and hold the button for more or less power and let fly. More power would do more damage and go farther, but make a bigger blast/leave a trail to you and draw attention. Less power needs you to get closer, risking notice by your target but you can take them down silently and move from enemy to enemy without detection. More power could be used to cut down enemy threat and set up traps; take out the toughest guy in the crowd and move to a new position while everyone converges on your location and the trap you've set there (more on that later) and take out even more. Less power would be useful in tight areas like fortresses with lots of intersecting halls where you need to keep moving and take out enemies quickly as you come upon them.

Fire breath is quite standard, not a lot of precision but you cover a wide area, good for crowds close up to you. Could also be used to weaken the area around you to set up traps. Burn a tree branch so it falls on an enemy, or weaken the supports for a platform so the enemies fall.

Earth could be a psychic power you can use to shake the ground or statues to draw enemy attention for a trap or away from you for an escape. Could also be used to trigger traps, like knock over a weakened platform or collapse a weak wall on an enemy. Could also create high power quakes around you to knock enemies back.

Electricity could be used to create ball lightning that explodes on a timer or psychic command for a trap or bomb attack. Could also shoot a bolt to hit multiple targets from afar. Would also have a stun effect on enemies.

How bout something like that? Any one have any ideas to expand the concept with?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:08:01 30/08/2017 by ClassicSpyroLUV
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#6 Posted: 22:40:28 30/08/2017
Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope

The platforming Spyro games prioritized exploration. Skylanders can be the combat-heavy stuff. I'd rather Spyro's enemy interactions be more puzzle-oriented, save for maybe bosses.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#7 Posted: 00:47:20 31/08/2017
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Nah, I prefer simplistic combat in Spyro, with a bit more strategy required when fighting a boss. Spyro's a colorful platformer series, not a hack and slash.

Quote: HIR

The platforming Spyro games prioritized exploration. Skylanders can be the combat-heavy stuff. I'd rather Spyro's enemy interactions be more puzzle-oriented, save for maybe bosses.

Quote: Sesshomaru75
Quote: HIR

Agreed 100%.

All of this. Spyro is a 3D Platformer, not God of War. Including heavy, albeit bland combat in the LoS really turned me away from that trilogy.
#8 Posted: 02:32:33 31/08/2017 | Topic Creator
They could still prioritize exploration while also have more/deeper combat. Not every game with combat is a fighting game Bryman. Batman had combat as a superhero simulator would but I would call it a detective simulator/platformer/collectathon before I'd call it a fighting game.

But I could take it either way, as long as it's fun and continues after YotD or AHT.
#9 Posted: 02:35:41 31/08/2017
I don't think Spyro had an Arkham series-level budget even on its heyday. If not all Arkham games could get it right it's not feasible for a collectathon first.
---
#10 Posted: 10:05:56 31/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Would you need such a budget? The games aren't likely to be as large anyway and the combat wouldn't be as prevalent. The groups wouldn't be as large and there wouldn't be huge crowds constantly re spawning. Does it cost so much to get combat right in a game regardless of that?
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#11 Posted: 15:26:43 31/08/2017
The Arkham games aren't a good example because the free flow system is too floaty, simplistic and usually applies to 30fps games. I prefer 60fps spectacle fighters like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising and NieR: Automata.

Perhaps Spyro should be remastered first with the simple and charge attacks because they get the job done and then make a sequel builds on the top original trilogy with different styles of gameplay, camera-work and art direction.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#12 Posted: 17:15:58 31/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Well of course I wasn't asking for something like this to be shoved into the remaster.
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#13 Posted: 21:26:26 31/08/2017
My favorite parts of games are the boss fights, so I'm game.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
Arnold Jackson Blue Sparx Gems: 542
#14 Posted: 11:52:57 17/01/2018
I think Legend spyro would be better combat than classic and skylander spyro.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#15 Posted: 14:01:32 17/01/2018
Well I didn't really enjoy the combat in TLOS, just found it really repetitive, got a little more interesting in TEN, but only because of the fury breaths, they just felt a lot more powerful and more interesting to look at. Even in DOTD, I felt like the air attacks were a little glitchy to perform. But aside from that, I wouldn't mind some sort of combat system incorporated into the classic universe of Spyro, as long as it was simple to attempt, and the enemies don't take a lot of hits to kill, don't just surround, and stun Spyro really easily leaving him open for another attack. The combat would need to be simple like the flame and charge in order for it to be fun.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:02:55 17/01/2018 by SuperSpyroFan
#16 Posted: 19:57:51 19/01/2018 | Topic Creator
I like your ideas Drawdler.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#17 Posted: 09:55:43 20/01/2018
I just thought if there is going to be a combat system in Spyro, they should bring back the roll mechanic from Spyro 1 (it was also in the demos of Spyro 2) I know a lot of people think the roll is pointless, but I actually find it useful in some situations of the game, I think it's because most people forget that it's there, and the game doesn't really teach you about it. But I can find good use for it in the boss battles of Spyro 2 & 3, and ironically it got removed by then.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me