darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: Reignited Trilogy > Spyro Reignited Trilogy General Discussion Topic (NON-SPOILER VERSION)
First | Previous | Page 81 of 107 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 105 106 107
Spyro Reignited Trilogy General Discussion Topic (NON-SPOILER VERSION) [STICKY]
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#4001 Posted: 08:39:13 27/08/2018
Quote: Mouse
The concept art is really beautiful
[User Posted Image]

But, honestly? The design in game is just ugly. Again, the work they put into this entire game is something to be appreciated, but I just can't get behind the designs at all. They look like Dreamworks characters lol

I mean lmao

[User Posted Image]

I'll still play the hell out of it though!

I think they've made her look like a Skylander NPC.
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#4002 Posted: 10:03:05 27/08/2018
Quote: DarkCynder_543
Sheila on the other hand.... oh boy. I'm sorry but I just don't dig it. I think its because I loved how Sheila was a girl without anything that stood out to make her look 'female' and could easily be mistaken for a boy. But then TFB seems like they just went 'oh she is a girl so she needs hair, eyelashes and an impossibly thin waist'. I'm fine with them adding clothing; I think a turban or a bandanna would have been cute, but just not the hair aha. It just doesn't click to me that it's Sheila anymore unlike the others. And the upper part of the body just doesn't seem to fit with the lower half. And I actually think that's the reason her animations also feel very off.

why is it such a bad thing to make a female character feminine?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 10:10:04 27/08/2018 by Blackholes_Wolf
#4003 Posted: 11:22:40 27/08/2018
I think they've got Elora and Sheila the wrong way around. They've made Sheila look feminine and taken away Elora's feminine qualities for a tomboish look.

I don't dislike either design however, for Elora as clear original concept art exists they've pretty much ignored it and gone with their own style. For what this game is supposed to be I personally think that's wrong. I much prefer Elora's original design.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#4004 Posted: 13:33:26 27/08/2018
Quote: FedUpWolf
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf
Quote: DarkCynder_543
Sheila on the other hand.... oh boy. I'm sorry but I just don't dig it. I think its because I loved how Sheila was a girl without anything that stood out to make her look 'female' and could easily be mistaken for a boy. But then TFB seems like they just went 'oh she is a girl so she needs hair, eyelashes and an impossibly thin waist'. I'm fine with them adding clothing; I think a turban or a bandanna would have been cute, but just not the hair aha. It just doesn't click to me that it's Sheila anymore unlike the others. And the upper part of the body just doesn't seem to fit with the lower half. And I actually think that's the reason her animations also feel very off.

why is it such a bad thing to make a female character feminine?

IMO there's nothing wrong with doing that, it just doesn't really reflect Shelia's personality because she was quite tomboyish. And her waist is so thin it's impossible for her to have any organs.

Tomboys can absolutely have feminine qualities. They just have to have notable, prominent "unfeminine" characteristics.

If they remain true to Sheila's original personality, then she would still be a tomboy regardless of her appearance.

Also, while I agree that her waist is a bit thin, I don't think "she can't have organs" is a good argument. It's a cartoon character. They're generally exaggerated. Many character designs don't adhere to realistic anatomical standards and aim to be more abstract and end up being more appealing for it. Just look at anything made by Tim Burton.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#4005 Posted: 13:48:03 27/08/2018
Ah, the Cynder problem.

In all seriousness, it changed Sheila's silhouette unecessarily. That thin spot used to be her chest, it swapped diameters with her waist. It doesn't matter if it's cartoon, there's always a point where it breaks disbelief - I can think of a kangaroo with a thin chest because what we remember is a pear shaped body, but the other way around it already takes a bit more thinking. This isn't Tim Burton where everyone having stick arms is expected, it's a game where the protagonist is significantly chubby and so are all his giant cousins.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#4006 Posted: 14:12:11 27/08/2018
Quote: Bifrost
Ah, the Cynder problem.

In all seriousness, it changed Sheila's silhouette unecessarily. That thin spot used to be her chest, it swapped diameters with her waist. It doesn't matter if it's cartoon, there's always a point where it breaks disbelief - I can think of a kangaroo with a thin chest because what we remember is a pear shaped body, but the other way around it already takes a bit more thinking. This isn't Tim Burton where everyone having stick arms is expected, it's a game where the protagonist is significantly chubby and so are all his giant cousins.

Sheila isn't a dragon so I don't see how Spyro's proportions correlate there.

Like I said, I do think her waist is too thin, I just don't think "muh logic and realism" is a good argument as to why it's too thin.

At least with Cynder you can technically compare her to other dragons, plus DotD actually had a semi-realistic artstyle, so yes, the criticism that Cynder had unrealistic proportions has more validity. But realism isn't a concern in the Classic games as many characters don't have realistic proportions at all in the original games, nor was the artstyle ever going for that. So I don't see the point in suddenly expecting realistic proportions from everything.

It's OK to just say the thin waste is aesthetically unappealing. Which is what it boils down to for me. You don't need a psuedo-intellectual reason for everything you don't like.
---
#4007 Posted: 15:18:06 27/08/2018
Spyro is what you see first, it's not the species, I mean the series' style. His legs are a bit chubby, he's got a bit of a belly - so do most of the other characters you meet, and even Elora isn't that thin compared to how thin the rest of her body is. So what's the general direction of Reignited's designs? Varies in thickness, bigger if the character is bigger overall; thinner if the character is thinner overall.
Sheila has GIANT legs and tail, sort of big head, and tiny everything else. She stands out, not in a good way.

I'd say calling character design pseudo-intellectualism is stupid considering that's what we're all discussing whenever a new character is revealed.

Not counting how the old designs went since, well, remake.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:19:51 27/08/2018 by Bifrost
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6425
#4008 Posted: 15:28:09 27/08/2018 | Topic Creator
Well,she would be dead being so thin,this is straight out anorexic.Make it cartoonesque yes,make her so thin that in no way she should be living,no.She barely does not even look like a kangaroo,Elora though does look great but give her irises to her eyes to make her look more alive.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#4009 Posted: 16:05:46 27/08/2018
They need to change Sheila because that character isn't Sheila. Stop. That's it. I'm accepting some design choice but they totally remade her, it's like putting Skylanders Spyro in this trilogy, totally different design, not improvement or somethin, totally different
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#4010 Posted: 16:07:57 27/08/2018

I know It's already been posted here, but...
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#4011 Posted: 16:35:57 27/08/2018
As someone who had never even thought about Sheila until last week, let me give you my thoughts:

I've never played Year of the Dragon so I don't know anything about Sheila, but from her new appearance I get an out there, adventurer vibe. It's easy to question why she has changed so much, but TfB have the new-to-Spyro-audience in mind too, and for people who don't know Sheila's character, the redesign helps to give us some hints about that.

That said, I don't have to like it any more than the people with nostalgia glasses on. The waist comes off as weird to me only because everyone's pointed it out. I don't think it's a "problem". (I don't see how a kangaroo character in a video game can promote anorexia, if that's what's being implied by some? [Sorry if that's not what people were implying, though!]) She's just not my favourite design so far, and I couldn't tell you why. The Moose bothers me even more!

But the thing is, I don't have to like the look of every single thing in this whole trilogy! Some people act like it's their right, and I understand that if you liked how everything looked on the Playstation 1 you might expect it to be the same now, but redesigning the very-often-almost-abstract stuff from twenty years ago is hard! Some of the old designs are quite ambiguous - take a look at fan art and see how different people interpret them. Reignited is just another interpretation, albeit in actual game form.

An Elora aside: I saw the original concept art recently, and I am so, so happy they didn't go with that. As an almost-outsider, again, I really don't think that design has aged well. The Skylander NPC comparison is ehhh... a little valid to me. I can kinda see where you're coming from, but I don't think of Skylander-ness as negative per se. Some of the level screenshots have reminded me of it as well. As long as solo-Spyro builds up his own identity, art style and looks wise, I think we'll be fine.

It's a shame to see such aggressive discussion here, but I suppose it was inevitable.
#4012 Posted: 16:53:20 27/08/2018
Oh yeah I definately don't think the waist is promoting anorexia or some stereotype, I'm looking at it simply from a silhouette perspective. It stands out next to other characters and looks weird in almost every angle, no context required.
---
#4013 Posted: 16:58:43 27/08/2018
I understand smilie

It does stand out, doesn't it? I'm wondering if maybe Sheila is/was still a work in progress. Then again, wouldn't they wait to show her if that was the case?
#4014 Posted: 17:13:41 27/08/2018
Quote: fyra
Well,she would be dead being so thin,this is straight out anorexic.Make it cartoonesque yes,make her so thin that in no way she should be living,no.She barely does not even look like a kangaroo,Elora though does look great but give her irises to her eyes to make her look more alive.

This is meant as an educational response, but please don't and you grammatically can't describe something as 'anorexic'. It's a mental illness, not an adjective for something that is actually 'very thin'.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:14:47 27/08/2018 by Ice Dragoness
spyroid101 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3793
#4015 Posted: 17:18:13 27/08/2018
[User Posted Image]

Not even taking into account the skinniness of the waist, trying to look at how her spine must operate makes it even more uncomfortable looking. It's straight down, then, SNAP!! at the hip, where it then goes off into a more natural curve, rather then have said curve throughout the spine.

[User Posted Image]
---
My DA: http://spyroid101.deviantart.com/
DragonCave: http://dragcave.net/user/spyroid101
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/spyroid101?feature=mexp
#4016 Posted: 17:54:27 27/08/2018
do people seriously prefer elora's old ps1 model? It's ugly as sin but then again I have little nostalgia for spyro 2 so my eyes aren't blinded by nostalgia goggles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:56:46 27/08/2018 by Blackholes_Wolf
#4017 Posted: 18:06:02 27/08/2018
Quote: spyroid101
[User Posted Image]

Not even taking into account the skinniness of the waist, trying to look at how her spine must operate makes it even more uncomfortable looking. It's straight down, then, SNAP!! at the hip, where it then goes off into a more natural curve, rather then have said curve throughout the spine.

[User Posted Image]

how dare this talking kangaroo in a children's video game NOT apply to real life anatomy!
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#4018 Posted: 18:14:37 27/08/2018
Oh my god, spyroid, seeing that just makes it so much worse lol.

I'm a big anatomy buff and I believe that it should be considered when designing a character, because then this happens. Of course anatomy can be exaggerated in a more stylistic game, but I don't understand how people find Sheila's broken spine acceptable lol. And from a character design perspective, it really does screw up the silhouette to see two starkly different proportions next to each other. Its just, really not a harmonious design.

Ah, the Cynder problem.

I agree with everything Bifrost has said here.

The Cynder problem is the "organs are optional" problem. And it definitely does correlate with Sheila's body because designers feel the need to make female characters disproportionately thin for some reason. I can guarantee you that if Sheila was a male kangaroo she'd have similar proportions to her original PS1 model and to what Bifrost has described. She'd be no where near as skinny, and she's actually have a believable character design.

Oh, and let me just say, I believe that if it was a good design then people wouldn't be complaining and pointing out the obvious faults with it.
The hair and shirt are eh, more typical features for a female character. A disappointment for me, but I have grown to like the hair even if it goes against what I believe. I'm not really complaining about that. I'm complaining about the broken anatomy, and the unfair standards placed on women. Yes I know, I'm bringing feminism into it!!! But seriously. Why do they have to make every female character as thin as a twig and make them significantly more humanoid than their male counterparts.

Sorry for going on about this, but it seriously grinds my gears.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:28:12 27/08/2018 by Bolt
#4019 Posted: 18:43:49 27/08/2018
I feel like just filling in that bit between Sheila's back and the green line...

[User Posted Image]

...will fix both "problems" here - the waist and spine.

Do you think any changes will be made, though? I don't really care either way, but there's been quite the backlash on this one.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:45:55 27/08/2018 by yelvy
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5348
#4020 Posted: 18:48:49 27/08/2018
Elora's face looks fine. I swear this game is causing some serious OCD in some people.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#4021 Posted: 19:00:46 27/08/2018
how dare this talking kangaroo in a children's video game NOT apply to real life anatomy!

There's a saying that, in order to break the rules, you first have to understand the rules. Even cartoon characters have SOME kind of anchor to the rules of reality, or else things will just appear uncanny and/or broken, and the flow of the spine, what overall centers the flow of the entire character and their motion, is one of those things.

[User Posted Image]

No one's gonna argue that TLoS Spyro and Cynder have "realistic anatomy", but it's easy for people to shut their brains off to that, cuz the characters have a stylistic flow to them.

[User Posted Image]

DotD Spyro and Cynder toe the line with it, and as a result, more people have issues, but they still overall have at least some flow to their spines, to the point where a number of people can eventually shut their brains off and not think "Ow, my back" when playing DotD.

[User Posted Image]

Reignited Spyro? A beautiful flow to his spine that helps bring his character to life!

And the one point when people really had an issue with his animation looking "wrong"?

[User Posted Image]

When Spyro's tail went stiff, rather then arcing flow during his running animation.

[User Posted Image]

Even bipeds have a curved spines!

And then we get to Shelia...

[User Posted Image]

Who's spine is a literal check mark, which is janky and unnatural even in this own universe's anatomy rules. It gives the impression that something's broken, rather then being exaggerated cartoon anatomy, and, as a result, there's complaints about Shelia looking stiff, unnatural and/or painful when you see her in motion.

TL; DR- Yes, cartoons don't 100% adhere to reality, and that's okay, but they still need to have SOME ground rules to them, or else things will look wrong, uncanny, and/or broken. One of those things is a good spine, as that's the center of a whole character and their base of motion. Arcs are important in character design and animation.

*Steps off soap box lol XP*
---
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#4022 Posted: 19:05:31 27/08/2018
^^^ Oh my god, that was perfect, thank you so much. *claps*
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Clank Emerald Sparx Gems: 4260
#4023 Posted: 19:22:39 27/08/2018
I wanted to make a post describing exactly what spyroid's did but couldn't find the words. I agree completely. Part of the reason why cartoony styles can be so appealing is because artists consciously create designs and pose them in a way that makes them "flow." Designs that don't adhere to those rules tend to stick out like a sore thumb, and unfortunately female characters often end up getting the short end of that stick.
---
"*runs around like a headless gnorc*" ~Jaggedstar©
#4024 Posted: 20:38:25 27/08/2018
That line isn't actually necessarily the back, but it's usually a mechanic in drawing poses where one "half" of the character is unobstructred, be it the back, or the way their legs are positioned, or a cape they're wearing that unifies a section of their pose. Even in that Spyro animation, you could still see a 'clean' side, which is probably why I didn't pay attention to any mistakes when everyone else was pointing it out.

Also, the Cynder problem was not the back, and the fact that, while Krome Cynder clearly had spiked feet that are just raised all the time, DOTD Cynder had two knees for each leg because the final section is the entire feet rather than just toes. That's a break from what you're expecting of semi-realism.
---
KingMed Gold Sparx Gems: 2456
#4025 Posted: 21:09:32 27/08/2018
Quote: Ice Dragoness
[User Posted Image]

But, honestly? The design in game is just ugly. Again, the work they put into this entire game is something to be appreciated, but I just can't get behind the designs at all. They look like Dreamworks characters lol

I mean lmao

[User Posted Image]

Yeah I was going to say that too , but I didn’t want to offend anyone lol
Grizzle Gold Sparx Gems: 2272
#4026 Posted: 21:13:52 27/08/2018
someone swapped the audio from both old and new scenes and put them to opposite cutscenes
tbh I prefer the old cutscene audio for the music and also for spyro snarkiness just in his first few lines, but i think other than that i like the new cutscene especially hunter
#4027 Posted: 22:18:53 27/08/2018
Spyro is what you see first, it's not the species, I mean the series' style. His legs are a bit chubby, he's got a bit of a belly - so do most of the other characters you meet, and even Elora isn't that thin compared to how thin the rest of her body is. So what's the general direction of Reignited's designs? Varies in thickness, bigger if the character is bigger overall; thinner if the character is thinner overall.
Sheila has GIANT legs and tail, sort of big head, and tiny everything else. She stands out, not in a good way.

I'd say calling character design pseudo-intellectualism is stupid considering that's what we're all discussing whenever a new character is revealed.

Not counting how the old designs went since, well, remake.

Character proportions don't have to 100% have a running theme or "template" though, especially going across different species. Look at the Mario franchise. By your logic here, every human male in that franchise should have similar proportions to Mario (just like how you suggested every character in Reignited should follow Spyro's example) - stout and a bit chubby. Luigi retains this. But Wario breaks this by being muscley with a huge pot belly and a huge mouth, and Waluigi breaks this by being really tall and lanky (in a way that is once again, unrealistic).

So this isn't a good argument either.

I didn't say discussing character design was pseudo-intellectualism, I said that criticising Sheila's waist on the basis that it isn't realistic is psuedo-intellectualism. It's an attempt to criticise this aspect of her design by projecting an intent onto it ("the design is supposed to be realistic") and acting as if you have a firmer grasp of such an intent than the artist, but in this case, the artist clearly did not have such intent with the design to begin with, so simply projecting your own intent is not a very constructive criticism and just comes off as an attempt to sound intelligent for the sake of it. These characters are cartoony and are clearly not adhering to a heavy degree of realism, so it shouldn't be a part of the discussion. It's extremely common for characters to have exaggerated proportions like that. This is the same series that has cute bunnies with no arms, while also having an important character who is also a bunny who has a tall, humanoid figure in the same game.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:19:23 27/08/2018 by sonicbrawler182
#4028 Posted: 22:44:10 27/08/2018
The Mario example still doesn't work. Even as lanky and big as Waluigi is, he's just a thin character using the style - so his arms still have some reasonable sizes and aren't twigs, nor does he have a chibi face that only Mario & Luigi games would even get close to or something. Body types are a different thing from the character design style used.
---
#4029 Posted: 23:15:25 27/08/2018

There's a saying that, in order to break the rules, you first have to understand the rules. Even cartoon characters have SOME kind of anchor to the rules of reality, or else things will just appear uncanny and/or broken, and the flow of the spine, what overall centers the flow of the entire character and their motion, is one of those things.

[User Posted Image]

No one's gonna argue that TLoS Spyro and Cynder have "realistic anatomy", but it's easy for people to shut their brains off to that, cuz the characters have a stylistic flow to them.

[User Posted Image]

DotD Spyro and Cynder toe the line with it, and as a result, more people have issues, but they still overall have at least some flow to their spines, to the point where a number of people can eventually shut their brains off and not think "Ow, my back" when playing DotD.

[User Posted Image]

Reignited Spyro? A beautiful flow to his spine that helps bring his character to life!

And the one point when people really had an issue with his animation looking "wrong"?

[User Posted Image]

When Spyro's tail went stiff, rather then arcing flow during his running animation.

[User Posted Image]

Even bipeds have a curved spines!

And then we get to Shelia...

[User Posted Image]

Who's spine is a literal check mark, which is janky and unnatural even in this own universe's anatomy rules. It gives the impression that something's broken, rather then being exaggerated cartoon anatomy, and, as a result, there's complaints about Shelia looking stiff, unnatural and/or painful when you see her in motion.

TL; DR- Yes, cartoons don't 100% adhere to reality, and that's okay, but they still need to have SOME ground rules to them, or else things will look wrong, uncanny, and/or broken. One of those things is a good spine, as that's the center of a whole character and their base of motion. Arcs are important in character design and animation.

*Steps off soap box lol XP*

honestly i think she looks okay in motion, it's the level's framerate and the unfinished animation which is slowing down her gameplay
Tsutori Green Sparx Gems: 301
#4030 Posted: 23:47:54 27/08/2018
Quote: Grizzle
someone swapped the audio from both old and new scenes and put them to opposite cutscenes
tbh I prefer the old cutscene audio for the music and also for spyro snarkiness just in his first few lines, but i think other than that i like the new cutscene especially hunter

I just want to say, I'm pleasantly surprised how good the lip syncing is even with the audio swapped.

I do think the Shiela redesign crosses over rather dangerously into the "she's a female animal character, ergo she needs x features" problem, especially with the hair. The waist, I'm not 100% sure if I'd count that as part of that problem since you could argue that it's just an issue of exaggerated anatomy done poorly...but it most definitely looks awkward and I think they should change it. I also agree the addition of clothing to the moose is a bit baffling. Like...what exactly are the clothes adding? I suppose it makes it a bit of a less generic enemy and might have some humorous value, but other than that, I'm not entirely sure what the reasoning behind the change is (it almost makes the moose look not like an enemy unit, even? since both it and Shiela have "park ranger"-y outfits).

Some of the things TfB have added, like giving the Colossus statues hockey sticks, are changes I like and feel are sensible given the context of the level, as well as funny. But Shiela's Alp on the other hand (at least to me) is a case of more doesn't necessarily = better.
#4031 Posted: 23:59:28 27/08/2018
If the moose in the level all had different outfits, then the joke could be seen as the result of the billy goats teasing and pulling pranks on the wildlife (Like is mentioned in the epilogue) via putting outfits on them.

But otherwise, it just kinda looks like a "LOL! Moose! Canada! Get it?!" joke.
---
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#4032 Posted: 00:19:19 28/08/2018
If the moose in the level all had different outfits, then the joke could be seen as the result of the billy goats teasing and pulling pranks on the wildlife (Like is mentioned in the epilogue) via putting outfits on them.

As a Canadian I'm fine with that joke. Spyro 3 has way worse Canada jokes in it anyway.
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:19:46 28/08/2018 by Bionichute
Mouse Red Sparx Gems: 68
#4033 Posted: 08:29:42 28/08/2018
Quote: Ice Dragoness
[User Posted Image]

I mean lmao

[User Posted Image]

You hit the nail on the head with that one, toots. You're totally right.
---
This swamp smells so sweet
The springtime trees are fragrant
I'm off to kick butt
#4034 Posted: 08:58:43 28/08/2018
Quote: Tsutori

I just want to say, I'm pleasantly surprised how good the lip syncing is even with the audio swapped.

I do think the Shiela redesign crosses over rather dangerously into the "she's a female animal character, ergo she needs x features" problem, especially with the hair. The waist, I'm not 100% sure if I'd count that as part of that problem since you could argue that it's just an issue of exaggerated anatomy done poorly...but it most definitely looks awkward and I think they should change it. I also agree the addition of clothing to the moose is a bit baffling. Like...what exactly are the clothes adding? I suppose it makes it a bit of a less generic enemy and might have some humorous value, but other than that, I'm not entirely sure what the reasoning behind the change is (it almost makes the moose look not like an enemy unit, even? since both it and Shiela have "park ranger"-y outfits).

Some of the things TfB have added, like giving the Colossus statues hockey sticks, are changes I like and feel are sensible given the context of the level, as well as funny. But Shiela's Alp on the other hand (at least to me) is a case of more doesn't necessarily = better.

seriously why is it a bad thing for a female characters to look female? fyi on the moose thing, please remind yourself what the rating for spyro reignited is and who the intended audience is
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:04:14 28/08/2018 by Blackholes_Wolf
#4035 Posted: 09:09:41 28/08/2018

damn i didn't know that canadians were easily offended by a moose wearing clothes
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#4036 Posted: 13:59:32 28/08/2018
lol sheila is typical australia, with accent and all yet i don't care

Ah with me, I don't have anything against 'female' traits and think its stupid to think that anything that is 'girly' is bad. I mean Elora and Bianca are great and have 'female traits' and I have no problems with them and Bianca is my second favourite Spyro character aha. But I also like it when a female character doesn't look somewhat human/has/tits/isn't 'waifu material'/whatever because male characters can have that all the time like with Sgt Byrd. I just don't like it when female characters can only look one way and not have a variety like male characters can. My main issue comes from Sheila's design and even concept art not having the traits originally and came off as very boyish to the point she could be mistaken for a guy, and the new model seems to give a completely different personality from her to the point it's hardly recognizable as the same character. If she originally looked more feminine, I wouldn't have had an issue with it and would have complained if they changed her to tomboy lol.

Also as an animator I know the model will be hard to animate due to basically what spyroid said. That 'snap' would really cause issues and I feel sorry for the person who has to animate her. :')

but eh in the end this is a kids game, and I'm actually not hating on this as much as my post sounded since sheila is a character I was never completely invested in. i'm just happy hunter turned out perfect tbh
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:00:44 28/08/2018 by DarkCynder_543
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12760
#4037 Posted: 14:10:46 28/08/2018
Speaking of intended audience, I'm worried that there's gonna be fans who will gatekeep this game like what genwunners did with Pokémon Go. If there will be gatekeepers, I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same people who nitpick on the littlest of changes for not being too faithful to the originals.
#4038 Posted: 14:16:15 28/08/2018

seriously why is it a bad thing for a female characters to look female? fyi on the moose thing, please remind yourself what the rating for spyro reignited is and who the intended audience is

I don’t see how the moose’s design has anything to do with the game rating or audience. Can you please explain? Not trying to be sassy, I legit don’t know what you mean here.

As for Shiela, I would have had no problem with the hair if Shiela originally had hair. However, she didn’t. And she didn’t need hair to read as a female character. Now, we know one of TfB’s goals with redesigns in this game is to “enhance” (there’s probably a better word here but I think you’ll get what I mean) elements of the world and characters and use said enhancements to tell more of a story, which often involved adding things that weren’t there before. This in itself isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I like giving Shiela an outdoors-y jacket, for instance, because it gives us more information about her character. But with giving Shiela obviously female hair, the intent comes off as “enhancing” her femaleness...which is kinda contentious since the implication is “she didn’t seem female enough before”, which is a kinda problematic line of thought since there’s no one way to “be” female. To use an IRL example, there are trans individuals who identify as female but may not have necessarily started a physical transition process that would make their bodies “look female”. But they’re still female.

Shiela doesn’t need hair to be female. She always was female.

As an unrelated side note, re: delay, I think people are getting hopes wayyyy too high that the delay will let them put games 2/3 on disc. The discs have likely been printed for a long time and there’s no way Activision is gonna spend millions to reprint them. I doubt they would’ve announced the downloads if there was a chance of there not being downloads...if that makes sense.
#4039 Posted: 14:31:03 28/08/2018

I don’t see how the moose’s design has anything to do with the game rating or audience. Can you please explain? Not trying to be sassy, I legit don’t know what you mean here.

As for Shiela, I would have had no problem with the hair if Shiela originally had hair. However, she didn’t. And she didn’t need hair to read as a female character. Now, we know one of TfB’s goals with redesigns in this game is to “enhance” (there’s probably a better word here but I think you’ll get what I mean) elements of the world and characters and use said enhancements to tell more of a story, which often involved adding things that weren’t there before. This in itself isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I like giving Shiela an outdoors-y jacket, for instance, because it gives us more information about her character. But with giving Shiela obviously female hair, the intent comes off as “enhancing” her femaleness...which is kinda contentious since the implication is “she didn’t seem female enough before”, which is a kinda problematic line of thought since there’s no one way to “be” female. To use an IRL example, there are trans individuals who identify as female but may not have necessarily started a physical transition process that would make their bodies “look female”. But they’re still female.

Shiela doesn’t need hair to be female. She always was female.

As an unrelated side note, re: delay, I think people are getting hopes wayyyy too high that the delay will let them put games 2/3 on disc. The discs have likely been printed for a long time and there’s no way Activision is gonna spend millions to reprint them. I doubt they would’ve announced the downloads if there was a chance of there not being downloads...if that makes sense.

Edit: @alicecarp, sadly there’s been gatekeepers ever since TLoS...
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6425
#4040 Posted: 15:15:59 28/08/2018 | Topic Creator
Well,it count as sexism to imply there is only one way to be female.Proof,myself,a female gamer who love reading fantasy even some sci fi,supernatural,even horror,who love learning about anything,that have none of the traditional girly interests who is tired of always getting the sexualised or girly treatment and never anyone I can identify with.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
#4041 Posted: 15:22:27 28/08/2018
Quote: alicecarp
Speaking of intended audience, I'm worried that there's gonna be fans who will gatekeep this game like what genwunners did with Pokémon Go. If there will be gatekeepers, I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same people who nitpick on the littlest of changes for not being too faithful to the originals.

If skylanders had gatekeepers who harassed people who couldn't afford the game, this game will have them too - in fact some people already say offsite they don't want more furries in the fandom and it's not even out. Just gotta be on the lookout for this kind of behavior and let newcomers know that's not the entire fandom's attitude.
---
Hardback247 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1074
#4042 Posted: 15:47:36 28/08/2018
I don't like how people are saying that they gave Sheila hair just so that she could look more obviously female. That sounds stupid.
#4043 Posted: 15:55:17 28/08/2018
It's important that TFB sees this.

XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#4044 Posted: 16:33:12 28/08/2018
Quote: fyra
Well,it count as sexism to imply there is only one way to be female.Proof,myself,a female gamer who love reading fantasy even some sci fi,supernatural,even horror,who love learning about anything,that have none of the traditional girly interests who is tired of always getting the sexualised or girly treatment and never anyone I can identify with.

The problem also exist for males. Don't act like it would be only a female "problem." -.-
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#4045 Posted: 17:15:39 28/08/2018
Why is it important for almost everyone this days to be indinfied with fictional characters? Theis are fictional characters who live by their own fictional laws. The fact that some fictional female kangaroo have a hair style that usually apper on women dasent change the fact that it's a FICTIONAL female kangaroo, and that there is no point making a fuss over a FICTIONAL CHARACTER THAT WAS NOT CRAEATED TO HURT ANY ONE IN REAL LIFE!
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:21:37 28/08/2018 by omer1698
Bionichute Yellow Sparx Gems: 1889
#4046 Posted: 19:26:31 28/08/2018
Quote: omer1698
Why is it important for almost everyone this days to be indinfied with fictional characters? Theis are fictional characters who live by their own fictional laws. The fact that some fictional female kangaroo have a hair style that usually apper on women dasent change the fact that it's a FICTIONAL female kangaroo, and that there is no point making a fuss over a FICTIONAL CHARACTER THAT WAS NOT CRAEATED TO HURT ANY ONE IN REAL LIFE!

calm the heck down dude
---
I'M A KAMEN RIDER
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=129460 Check out my Skylanders game idea!
#4047 Posted: 21:09:18 28/08/2018
It's official. Cassandra Lee Morris is providing the voice of Elora in the Reignited Trilogy.
#4048 Posted: 21:19:34 28/08/2018
Well this is another P5 voice actor to the list, this is gonna get weird. She's also the voice of Operator 6O from Nier: Automata and Kyubey if you want to make even weirder comparisons.
---
#4049 Posted: 21:25:47 28/08/2018
https://www.facebook.com/spyro...?type=3&theater

360 viewable screenshot of Colossus! 030
---
First | Previous | Page 81 of 107 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 105 106 107

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me