Page 1 of 1
A Request for Feedback on my Review
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#1 Posted: 15:00:13 29/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Hullo everyone! After having got back into Skylanders I've decided to review the entire series with a video of each game, and I was wondering if there was anything I could've added to make this first review more worthwhile. I'm asking because I've got another five games to cover, and I'd rather get it right first time. I've had a break from doing videos since May and my creative spark is still quite dim at the moment, so anything from corrections or questions are welcome!
(Spoilers so you don't have to see my greasy fat head. Ooh-err)

The most important thing for me is thus: if you'd never played Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, would my review be enough for you to make an informed and confident purchase of the game? I'll be reviewing the games in release order and as though they were brand new, or more specifically, as though I have no knowledge of the sequels. I chose to do that because my thoughts on the toys' pricing now are different to when we didn't know how many sequels or gimmicks there'd be in the future, and wanted to look at it from both angles. That and it allows me to discuss their future in later games without repeating myself in numerous videos.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, unless this has to be removed due to channel advertisement. I dunno.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:01:19 29/07/2017 by Johnbonne
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#2 Posted: 16:33:55 29/07/2017
Really good review!

You managed to highlight both the major downsides and upsides of the game, while the majority of the reviews I've seen either blindly praise the game because "it's for kids!" or harshly criticize it for the exact same reason (and because "they killed muh childhood!").
We need more of these regarding the franchise.

My only advice for the future entries would be to point out more how the game's Story Mode can be complete| with just the Starter Pack content: I can't count the many times I've heard people say they need to buy more toys to play the game, which isn't true at all.
You made it clear how they are requested to 100% the game by accessing Elemental Gates, unlocking Heroic Challenges or levels and such, just try to emphasize how they are still not mandatory at all.
I know it may sound obvious for someone who's in this community but trust me, the misconceptions about this series are unbelievable.

Other than that the only other thing I could think of (and I absolutely don't want to sound rude, so pardon me if I do) is talking about Spyro himself too much.
You nailed that in this video, the distorted music part made me chuckle, and I understood it had to be done but I suggest you not to focus on him as much in the other games.
You don't want to see your comment section full of whiny adults... smilie

Looking forward your Giants review, let's hope Tree Rex will be more cooperative. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:35:40 29/07/2017 by Drek95
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#3 Posted: 16:39:38 29/07/2017
Good to see someone who doesn't spend their entire review talking about Spyro's design and how they Killed muh childhuud

You point out both ups and downs in the game, and even talk about some other neat stuff.

The only thing I would say is that you don't need the figures to complete the game, only to 100% the game

But it's a very good review, and it's clear that you put time and effort into these things

"FEAR MY GIANT FLOATING TOILET" Is a line I am going to get Horvitz to say if I ever meet him
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#4 Posted: 16:50:42 29/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Drek95
You managed to highlight both the major downsides and upsides of the game, while the majority of the reviews I've seen either blindly praise the game because "it's for kids!" or harshly criticize it for the exact same reason (and because "they killed muh childhood!").
We need more of these regarding the franchise.

Thanks very much! I'll never forgive a game of its flaws on the grounds that it's for kids because children aren't stupid. Well, that's debatable but they can tell when something's wrong with a game, even if they can't point out exactly what it is. As for the "muh chilhud" people that's more about the reviewer than the game, and it's a lazy, overly emotional attack on a game rather than a valid criticism.

You made it clear how they are requested to 100% the game by accessing Elemental Gates, unlocking Heroic Challenges or levels and such, just try to emphasize how they are still not mandatory at all. I know it may sound obvious for someone who's in this community but trust me, the misconceptions about this series are unbelievable.

I 100% agree, and I admit I could've been more careful with this. My review of Giants will make up for this though, as I'll go on to explain how the entire game's story can be completed with Tree Rex alone (the caveat being that if he dies, you either need to restart the chapter, go back to the Dreadyacht or have another Skylander reader). Then I'll rage for 11 years about the price of the figures and how little relevance they have when you already own the single required Giant, etc.

Other than that the only other thing I could think of (and I absolutely don't want to sound rude, so pardon me if I do) is talking about Spyro himself too much.
You nailed that in this video, the distorted music part made me chuckle, and I understood it had to be done but I suggest you not to focus on him as much in the other games.
You don't want to see your comment section full of whiny adults... smilie

You're not rude at all, you're welcome to level any criticism you feel is necessary; I want these reviews to help people out, and give as truthful a look at Skylanders as I can. I won't be talking about Spyro until Imaginators where he becomes a cutscene character, though I may make a passing remark about how Academy was introduced around the time of whichever game it was, and possibly how his designs conflict. Whenever I look at a game from an established IP I do it from two points of view: for the fans of the franchise, and the fans of the genre its spinning off from. Skylanders is not a good Spyro game because it incorporates very few elements from the original games, but it is a good game on its own merits. Likewise I think Crash Bash is a wonderful Crash Bandicoot game because it looks and sounds like Crash, but on its own merits I don't think it holds up as well as it could.

Looking forward your Giants review, let's hope Tree Rex will be more cooperative. smilie

Thanks for that! That was part of an unboxing video I did when Giants released. I'm a lot more tolerant of the game now than I was then, and I hope to do the game the justice it deserves!

Quote: King-Pen Krazy
Good to see someone who doesn't spend their entire review talking about Spyro's design and how they Killed muh childhuud

You point out both ups and downs in the game, and even talk about some other neat stuff.

Thanks for your feedback also, King-Pen Krazy! If you'd permit me, I'd like to know what "other neat stuff" you found in the review. I personally liked how on Soul Gems the menu always points to "yes", whereas everywhere else the default is "no", but if you're referring to anything else let me know and I'll try find other tidbits of obscure or unique info! smilie

The only thing I would say is that you don't need the figures to complete the game, only to 100% the game

Duly noted!

But it's a very good review, and it's clear that you put time and effort into these things

This is a review that took 3-4 weeks to write, and three attempts because of how burnt out I was with doing videos. I was also disappointed with how little I had to say in the end. Then again, perhaps less is more? That's what I'm really trying to gauge I guess! But effort? No, the only time I put effort and haste into producing a video is when I think of a stupid scene like, say....

"FEAR MY GIANT FLOATING TOILET" Is a line I am going to get Horvitz to say if I ever meet him

RIP Rik Mayall, 1/3rd of the Giant Floating Toilets.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 17:13:30 29/07/2017 by Johnbonne
Earth-Dragon Blue Sparx Gems: 972
#5 Posted: 07:52:42 10/11/2017
Nicely done Johnny Boy
---
Glad heroic challenges are gone. Imagine doing 165 per skylander. That's 27225 challenges. No thank you.
#6 Posted: 08:02:00 10/11/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Earth-Dragon
Nicely done Johnny Boy

Ta muchly! I've done a Giants review also which is less preferable, but others seem to dig it more. I'm working on the SWAP Force one now! smilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me