darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > King Pen was a stolen character idea?
Page 1 of 1
King Pen was a stolen character idea?
Pokypro Blue Sparx Gems: 991
#1 Posted: 12:06:56 11/07/2017 | Topic Creator
So I was randomly searching for King Pen images on Google and came across this image:

[User Posted Image]

Apparently this was a character named 'King Pen' in a mobile game made by Disney Interactive titled 'Big Hero 6 Bot Fight'. The game came out in 2014 (a total 2 years before imaginators) and was shut down in February 2016. The resemblance to the leader of the Senseis is uncanny.

[User Posted Image]

So I pose the question, did Activision copy this character design or did they get copied from? Someone must have copied someone here because the designs are way too similar...

Regardless of the actual answer, this is a fun little piece of Skylanders Trivia nonetheless.

Here is the character bio page for those interested.
http://bighero6botfight.wikia.com/wiki/King_Pen
---
Skylanders Youtuber (https://www.youtube.com/user/Pokypro)
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#2 Posted: 12:09:55 11/07/2017
Neither
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#3 Posted: 12:16:18 11/07/2017
Only the color scheme is the same man, and you can probably find a ton of gold-black-blue penguins out there. Now, about the name, it's a common pun, but I doubt anyone would make a case for stealing ideas with a small mobile phone boss.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Pokypro Blue Sparx Gems: 991
#4 Posted: 12:19:59 11/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
Only the color scheme is the same man, and you can probably find a ton of gold-black-blue penguins out there. Now, about the name, it's a common pun, but I doubt anyone would make a case for stealing ideas with a small mobile phone boss.

The colour palette is eeriely similar tho- even down to the gold plate and sharp black arms. Yeah i guess you would be right about the pun part. Thought it was worth the share anyways cause its a kinda cool thing to speculate about smilie
---
Skylanders Youtuber (https://www.youtube.com/user/Pokypro)
#5 Posted: 12:30:35 11/07/2017
Penguins have black arms, King Pen is the odd one out in that he's dark blue - it's an actual thing to base the palette off of. Gold borders on armor are also a common thing.
---
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#6 Posted: 12:39:49 11/07/2017
The more I look at it, the less credible similarities there are. Besides the general shape, the colour palette, armour and individual limbs are not alike in my opinion. Here's I-Wei Huang showing the original concept art of the "Penguin Warrior" archetype he was going for to show how it began:

Either way this was quite a good observation! smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:42:04 11/07/2017 by Johnbonne
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3975
#7 Posted: 13:02:36 11/07/2017
Yeah we had a topic about that some time ago:
//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=134930
---
bye
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#8 Posted: 19:53:57 11/07/2017
King Pen is Empoleon
#9 Posted: 19:58:11 11/07/2017
Quote: ZapNorris
King Pen is Empoleon

Yeah, pretty much. Maybe it's the problem of being associated with an Emperor Penguin and everyone designs them with the same colors, even if King Pen isn't that species in particular.

useless character design fact of the day: emperor penguins have a yellow-to-white gradient on their bellies, and their top beak is black. King Pen doesn't have either. His older design actually has characteristics of other species but the current one seems to be just the generic appearance of several.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:58:59 11/07/2017 by Bifrost
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#10 Posted: 02:19:04 12/07/2017
Quote: Pokypro
So I was randomly searching for King Pen images on Google and came across this image:

[User Posted Image]

Apparently this was a character named 'King Pen' in a mobile game made by Disney Interactive titled 'Big Hero 6 Bot Fight'. The game came out in 2014 (a total 2 years before imaginators) and was shut down in February 2016. The resemblance to the leader of the Senseis is uncanny.

[User Posted Image]

So I pose the question, did Activision copy this character design or did they get copied from? Someone must have copied someone here because the designs are way too similar...

Regardless of the actual answer, this is a fun little piece of Skylanders Trivia nonetheless.

Here is the character bio page for those interested.
http://bighero6botfight.wikia.com/wiki/King_Pen

I-I can explain
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me