Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Can I have some help?
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#1 Posted: 15:35:48 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator
The dilemma - I'm in line for a new console (as Wii U has suddenly become very outdated), and I have to options - the PS4 or the Nintendo Switch. Both have their pros and cons, and for almost a week now I've been pondering which one to get. I mean, I could get both, but it would take a long time and by the time time I did get the other one, it would probably be near the end of it's lifespan. Below, I've listed everything about the Switch and the PS4, including the pros and cons and which games I would get for each. If you guys could look at all the info and recommend what console to go with, I'd really appreciate it and you'd really be digging me out a deep hole.

PROS AND CONS:

Nintendo Switch
Pros:
Portable.
Just starting out so it won’t be replaced soon.
Doesn’t take up much space.
Super Mario Odyssey and other cool new games coming up.
Might get a port for Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy.
Breath Of The Wild would satisfy my wish for a open world game and would serve as a good substitute for The Witcher on the PS4.
Had Nintendo consoles all my life.
If I got Mario, it would be going with a character I know I like.

Cons:
Not many game options at the moment (but a lot more are coming).
Games are more expensive.
Console is more expensive (but not much more).
Might not get port for a Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy.

PlayStation 4
Pros:
Getting Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy.
Very advanced console.
Current - games are still being made for it.
Larger selection of games right now.
Can play with my friends online.
Games for this are a lot cheaper right now and so is the console.
My friends also have it and recommend it.
If I got Crash, it would be going with a new character who really interests me.
If Spyro got a remaster, it would probably come onto this console and that would be great because I'd REALLY want them.

Cons:
Might be replaced in a few years by a newer console.
Would mean no Super Mario Odyssey for sure.
Controller has short battery life.
I'd have to unplug another console to make room for it because it's a bit bulky.
I'm not actually too bothered by the other games besides Crash.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Games I'd Get:

Nintendo Switch:
Super Mario Odyssey
Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild
Sonic Forces
Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy???
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Yoshi

Playstation 4:
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Undertale
Overwatch
Sonic Forces
Spider-Man
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, you can add your own reasons for picking a certain console as long as you explain them. I need to have reasons to pick it other than personal bias. And please don't just recommend one console just because I have more pros or game options for them. While one may have more than the other, that doesn't necessarily mean one it better.

(TBH, if Crash just got ported onto the Switch I wouldn't be having this problem. I messaged a Nintendo Associate an hour ago and asked and he told me he didn't know, but he was very aware of the remakes and said I should try and contact Naughty Dog or Vicarious Visions.)

Thank you so much for anyone who helps out!
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:59:10 18/06/2017 by Chompy-King257
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#2 Posted: 15:47:11 17/06/2017
So, Crash has been confirmed to be a PS4 exclusive, so personally I would still stick with the PS4. It's been out long enough that it's the better option.
#3 Posted: 15:53:43 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: TheToyNerd
So, Crash has been confirmed to be a PS4 exclusive, so personally I would still stick with the PS4. It's been out long enough that it's the better option.

Just wondering, but why? Why is the better option? I need to be sure.
---
#4 Posted: 16:03:39 17/06/2017
Quote: Chompy-King257

I mean, the PS4 is cheaper right now. You can get a ton of good games for a discounted price, and Crash is a big sell. Switch has good games that are upcoming, but it's still so new that A) It's hard to find one still and smilie Zelda, Mario Kart and Arms are the only BIG titles on it at this point
#5 Posted: 16:07:21 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator

I mean, the PS4 is cheaper right now. You can get a ton of good games for a discounted price, and Crash is a big sell. Switch has good games that are upcoming, but it's still so new that A) It's hard to find one still and smilie Zelda, Mario Kart and Arms are the only BIG titles on it at this point

But I would be getting the Switch around Winter, if that makes any difference.

(Sorry, I'm not arguing with you. I'm just trying to fully understand your point.)
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:07:54 17/06/2017 by Chompy-King257
#6 Posted: 16:14:04 17/06/2017

(Sorry, I'm not arguing with you. I'm just trying to fully understand your point.)

Hmmm... it's hard for me to weigh in because I'm getting a PS4 myself for Crash, but I already have a Switch. Honestly, this all comes down to how much you really want to play Crash
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8201
#7 Posted: 16:15:59 17/06/2017
Chompyking, this dilemma is tearing you apart.

The Tragedy Darth Chompy the Undecided.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#8 Posted: 16:16:31 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator

Hmmm... it's hard for me to weigh in because I'm getting a PS4 myself for Crash, but I already have a Switch. Honestly, this all comes down to how much you really want to play Crash

That's the hard part - do I want Odyssey or Crash? The thing is I've grown up with Mario and Nintendo consoles so Odyssey looked great, but Crash looks so cool I don't want to miss it.
---
#9 Posted: 16:22:11 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
Chompyking, this dilemma is tearing you apart.

The Tragedy Darth Chompy the Undecided.

It really is.

Quote: Sesshomaru75
Nintendo games also rarely drop in price (Usually remaining at a full $40-$60), with only a few Nintendo Selects here and there.
(Something that we obviously haven't seen for the Switch yet - That, and Nintendo seems to only print Nintendo Selects titles for a relatively short period of time)
Whereas games on PS4 (And, by extension, XBONE) usually drop down to $20 within a year. There's also probably plenty of PS3 games that might interest you that you've missed out on that've been remastered for PS4, so there's that too.

If Crash has been confirmed as a permanent PS4 exclusive, and you truly want it and whatever else the PS4 has to offer over Odyssey and what the Switch has to offer, go with the PS4.

The thing is though, now that Skylanders is gone (or at least for a while), I can afford games again so the price of Switch games may not be an issue. But your right, it would take a while to get all the games I'd want for it.
---
#10 Posted: 16:25:00 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator
Also, where did you hear that the PS4 controller's battery life is "short"? I can play with mine for hours on end and it'll only drop to two out of three bars.

Oh, and Skyrim Remastered is on the PS4 and looks and runs way better than it could ever run on the Switch.

I looked up the pros and cons of the PS4 and that was what a few people had said.

And about Skyrim, I just want to have at least open-world game, preferably medieval-age like the Witcher or Skyrim. I would just get Skyrim for the Switch to satisfy that wish.
---
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1806
#11 Posted: 16:25:33 17/06/2017
PS4 is the better way to go. And I'm not saying this mainly because I'm a PlayStation fanatic but here's the highlights.

Better graphics.
You can get Crash
You can get Overwatch
Powerful system
Installation is very quick
Controller feels just right.

There's a lot of other stuff too and hey if you do get one then you can play overwatch with me : P
#12 Posted: 16:28:04 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: SkyFan91
PS4 is the better way to go. And I'm not saying this mainly because I'm a PlayStation fanatic but here's the highlights.

Better graphics.
You can get Crash
You can get Overwatch
Powerful system
Installation is very quick
Controller feels just right.

There's a lot of other stuff too and hey if you do get one then you can play overwatch with me : P

I think at this point I am going to pick the PS4, but it's just that Odyssey and Arms looks so cool that it's making me doubtful...
---
#13 Posted: 16:34:37 17/06/2017
Where was Crash confirmed PS4 exlusive?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#14 Posted: 16:48:14 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
Where was Crash confirmed PS4 exlusive?

No idea.

The only thing I can think of is the Uncharted reference on Coco's laptop, but that could be something that they could just edit out in a hypothetical multi-platform release.

I'm only thinking it might be because the Crash is firstly a Playstation character. He's been on other stuff but he started out on the Playstation so he might be that way for this. That's just my guess.
---
#15 Posted: 17:11:55 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator
While Crash has been on other consoles after the original PlayStation games, and while Activision owns the Crash IP, Sony owns the publishing rights to the original PlayStation games. (Same thing applies to the first three Spyro games as well)
N. Sane Trilogy would still technically fall under that, but there hasn't been any concrete confirmation that it'll be a permanent exclusive for the PS4 as far as I'm aware.

If we just got confirmation on this, it would be easier to make the decision.
---
#16 Posted: 17:49:27 17/06/2017
Actually in an E3 interview Dan from VV confirmed once again that it's a PS4 exclusive
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#17 Posted: 18:25:06 17/06/2017
They just said "all we can say for now is that it's going to release on PS4 and PS4 Pro".
---
Bruh
#18 Posted: 19:44:42 17/06/2017
So, as of right now it's PS4 exclusive, but that might be temporary.
---
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#19 Posted: 19:53:38 17/06/2017
TBH

I would recommend a Switch, even if I don't have one.

Why?

It's Dirt cheap for a game console, only $299, for the gamepad, joycon, joycon controller, and charging pad for the gamepad.

And just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it's bad.

Also like you said, currently, not too many games, that that will grow later. But not only that, there are some AMAZING game options, the only one that is out that I would really say is bad is 1-2 Switch
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#20 Posted: 20:01:58 17/06/2017
Quote: King-Pen Krazy
TBH

I would recommend a Switch, even if I don't have one.

Why?

It's Dirt cheap for a game console, only $299, for the gamepad, joycon, joycon controller, and charging pad for the gamepad.

And just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it's bad.

Also like you said, currently, not too many games, that that will grow later. But not only that, there are some AMAZING game options, the only one that is out that I would really say is bad is 1-2 Switch

To be fair, you can get a PS4 for as low as $250 (Possibly lower if you look hard enough), and the PS4 already has a huge library with some "amazing" game options, including PS3 remasters. (Also, $300 isn't necessarily "cheap")

Yeah, but it's cheap for a starting out console

Plus, imagine what it will be like in a few years
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#21 Posted: 20:35:03 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator
So the Switch is portable, but how portable is it? Like, how far can you take it?
---
#22 Posted: 20:36:21 17/06/2017
So the Switch is portable, but how portable is it? Like, how far can you take it?

Anywhere

The only downside, is that it only last for 3 hours
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#23 Posted: 20:36:31 17/06/2017
I believe it can go anywhere. Then yet again it has literally nothing as of now you'd need to give it a year or two to have a library of exclusives. Another reason to go with PS4
#24 Posted: 20:39:25 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator

You can take it as far as you want it. The gamepad is the actual console, not the dock.

O shoot
I didn't know that

So I could take it on vacation?

Welp that's a big plus on the Switch's side now.

I was just gonna post that I was going with the PS4 but now I have to reconsider all over again.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:40:00 17/06/2017 by Chompy-King257
#25 Posted: 20:43:34 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator
So I could take it on vacation?

Yes. Think of the Switch as a home console that you can take on the go wherever you want, a home/handheld hybrid if you will.

Aw jeez I didn't think it was that portable. I just thought it was like you could take it around the house as long as you didn't get to far away from the dock. Do you even have to hook it up to a TV or anything?
---
#26 Posted: 20:44:24 17/06/2017
And the games kind of feel like handheld/home hybrids as well
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#27 Posted: 20:49:07 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator
Do you even have to hook it up to a TV or anything?

You don't have to hook it up to the TV, no. You do have to put it in the dock when the battery gets low, however, as the dock charges the console.

Sweet. So if I were to take it on vacation I'd need to take the dock too? Sorry for all the questions, btw.
---
#28 Posted: 20:50:09 17/06/2017
Do you even have to hook it up to a TV or anything?

You don't have to hook it up to the TV, no. You do have to put it in the dock when the battery gets low, however, as the dock charges the console.

Sweet. So if I were to take it on vacation I'd need to take the dock too? Sorry for all the questions, btw.

I'm just waiting for this topic to derail to the point we are just talking about the meaning of life
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#29 Posted: 20:50:47 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator

I'm just waiting for this topic to derail to the point we are just talking about the meaning of life

Well, we are keeping it relevant, aren't we?
---
#30 Posted: 20:52:04 17/06/2017

Well, we are keeping it relevant, aren't we?

Yeah I know, but like most real-word converstions just derail so fast
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#31 Posted: 20:53:58 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator

Yes.

- - -

Got. Well, I have lots more points to consider now...
---
#32 Posted: 21:01:50 17/06/2017
The Switch also comes with a cord to charge it, so the dock isng always needed for the dock.
---
#33 Posted: 21:03:07 17/06/2017 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

Curse you Nintendo and your innovations! You just made this decision much harder than it has to be!
---
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6059
#34 Posted: 22:13:08 17/06/2017
Well keep in mind as noted above, the Gamepad doesn't exactly have a good battery life. Worse than what you think the PS4 controller has. Also, you do have to pay for Nintendo's online for the Switch when doing online games. Though I think this might be true for the PS4 too, so...

Switch seems decent, but tbh I'd wait a year or two for more games and a possible better version to come out or be announced with a better battery. Yes, there's pros to getting a new system as it means it'll likely last a bit longer than a console that's been out for a couple years; but at the same time, it's not always a good idea to get one that's too new as there's possible issues that could stand be resolved.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:15:50 17/06/2017 by Seiki
#35 Posted: 00:01:23 18/06/2017 | Topic Creator
If it helps, I wouldn't be planning on playing online games.
---
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#36 Posted: 00:46:26 18/06/2017
Also, where did you hear that the PS4 controller's battery life is "short"? I can play with mine for hours on end and it'll only drop to two out of three bars.

Mine lasts for about 2-3 hours lol, drops 1 bar every hour.
---
words. letters. filler.
#37 Posted: 00:54:25 18/06/2017 | Topic Creator
Ugh, this is a tough one for sure.

I'm going to make some quick revisions to the op so there are more points to consider.
---
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#38 Posted: 03:43:17 18/06/2017
PS4 also requires you to pay for online.

Worth noting that Switch has a cheaper online service, but it might have less options.

Also, on both consoles, they offer games for free as long as you have the online service, but each one works differently. PS4 has older games from the system itself and whatever's at the online store, including stuff from older consoles. Around 3 are given every month. Nintendo has a library (which can be upgraded) that includes, for now, NES and SNES games (with online multiplayer).

Also worth noting the Switch kinda comes with 2 controllers by default, since most games (not all though) let each player use a Joy-Con. So, if you have someone to play locally, this might help.
---
Bruh
DarkPredator Gold Sparx Gems: 2276
#39 Posted: 04:05:06 18/06/2017
Switch, but admittedly partly because of personal bias. I've been with Nintendo since the beginning of my gaming experience, so naturally I'd recommend it.

I've played my Switch far more than my PS4, and I got both at around the same time. If you're just basing this on Crash, then I'd still go for the Switch. But then again, I'm not that big of a Crash fan. I'd just look at which has the possibility of having more games you'd enjoy in the long run.
---
"Still as silent as ever, eh?" - Blue, Pokémon Sun and Moon
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:05:17 18/06/2017 by DarkPredator
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me