Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Character backstories?
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7660
#1 Posted: 00:39:02 17/04/2017 | Topic Creator
Has anything ever been said about the lives of some characters before they met Spyro? I'd love to know how Elora, Hunter and Zoe met. How did Bianca end up with the Sorceress? i need answers.
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#2 Posted: 02:13:40 17/04/2017
It's ironic how, as far as I know, Skylanders characters had deeper backstories than classic Spyro backstories.
---
Bruh
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7660
#3 Posted: 13:35:38 17/04/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Crash10
It's ironic how, as far as I know, Skylanders characters had deeper backstories than classic Spyro backstories.

im gonna sue
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
#4 Posted: 14:07:42 17/04/2017
Quote: Jaggedstar

im gonna sue

Sue me daddy
---
Bruh
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#5 Posted: 19:09:32 22/04/2017

It's bad there's too many that come every year.

Say if each Spyro game gets an enhanced remake than remastering the entire trilogy in one go, there should be room for fleshing out the story and characters of each title.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#6 Posted: 01:06:23 23/04/2017
Quote: StevemacQ

Say if each Spyro game gets an enhanced remake than remastering the entire trilogy in one go, there should be room for fleshing out the story and characters of each title.

They are kinda of doing it with Crash, so I don't think they need to separate the Spyro games in order to polish a bit of the plot.

Besides, the plot is completely fine as it is. It's not like the characters need super complex and deep backstories. Something simple but a bit more fleshed out would do the cut. Since Skylanders is more lore-based, I see there's a reason to give more attention to explain stuff.
---
Bruh
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#7 Posted: 08:06:47 26/04/2017

They are kinda of doing it with Crash, so I don't think they need to separate the Spyro games in order to polish a bit of the plot.

Besides, the plot is completely fine as it is. It's not like the characters need super complex and deep backstories. Something simple but a bit more fleshed out would do the cut. Since Skylanders is more lore-based, I see there's a reason to give more attention to explain stuff.

You can have some existing scenes expanded like the Sorceress turning that rhynoc into that horrifying monster Scorch, a cutscene with Spyro confronting the Sorceress before the fight boss fight, maybe a stinger with Bianca trying to connect Spyro to the ancient Skylanders. You get the idea.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#8 Posted: 16:50:21 26/04/2017

You can have some existing scenes expanded like the Sorceress turning that rhynoc into that horrifying monster Scorch, a cutscene with Spyro confronting the Sorceress before the fight boss fight, maybe a stinger with Bianca trying to connect Spyro to the ancient Skylanders. You get the idea.

Yes, kinda like that. They're kinda doing it with Crash, as I said, like in the Bonus Stages, where Cortex gets Tawna, which makes more sense than her standing there. Fleshing out and fixing some elements that lack much sense is the best way to go.

Also, more lore is definitely welcome. I don't think they would do it, but something like the Story Scrolls in Skylanders (collectables that give some insight into the lore) would fit very well in Spyro. After all, the classics are all about collecting stuff.
---
Bruh
madison-dwrd Emerald Sparx Gems: 3201
#9 Posted: 22:51:13 02/07/2017
There's a bit of backstory in the manual for Year of the Dragon. Sgt. Byrd's description says:
Quote:
Meet the world's only flying penguin. Sgt. Byrd was raised by hummingbirds who taught him how to get airborne. Then he flew the coop and joined the Air Corp. He developed the first BAM (Bird to Air Missile).

And it also talks about his abilites. The professor also has some neat information that I didn't realize until now, even though it makes sense. Apparently Agent 9's Lab is his home or something and he was just visiting Avalar:
Quote:
Spyro's old friend The Professor also has a research lab in the Forgotten Worlds and as it turns out, Agent 9 was many years ago his prized pupil!
Unfortunately, while The Professor was studying abroad in Avalar, his lab had fallen into disrepair.
---
You gotta believe!
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#10 Posted: 22:56:37 02/07/2017
I have the feeling Shadow Legacy contains lots of lore.
I unfortunately never got to complete it due to a glitch, but from what I read plenty of classic characters return in it and the story has a "darker" and more mature tone.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#11 Posted: 23:02:40 02/07/2017
Not really, Drek. There's stuff like Moneybags' family, or how Avalar and Forgotten Worlds are standing after their respective games, but not much is said about each character on their own.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#12 Posted: 23:33:54 02/07/2017
Was Shadow Legacy developed by insomniac?
#13 Posted: 23:38:22 02/07/2017
It was Sierra already; the first entry from the LoS writers which would become part of TFB. However, the designs all point to this being made with some help from Insomniac, since even the Sorcerer isn't out of place.
---
#14 Posted: 23:43:33 02/07/2017
Hmm... I'd like a little more confirmation about insomniac
being involved, because otherwise I'd consider the lore comparable to being as accurate as A Hero's Tail. Having not played Shadow Legacy myself however, I cannot say you are wrong.
#15 Posted: 23:56:50 02/07/2017
I don't really know, I'm just saying this based on the art direction.

[User Posted Image][User Posted Image]

Dunno if it was Ron Marz already, but I swore those were Classic artwork the first time I saw these.

edit: removed Titan to prevent page stretch.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:57:25 02/07/2017 by Bifrost
#16 Posted: 23:59:29 02/07/2017
I haven't played Shadow Legacy in a while but from what I remember it continued the story after the original trilogy, though it did feel a lot more like a TLOS game. The story reminded me of a Hero's Tail, since Spyro remembers defeating Gnasty Gnorc and Hunter and other original characters are there. I'll have to replay it though.

And as far as I'm aware, I don't think Insomniac was involved, though the story does respect the original games' story.
---
You gotta believe!
#17 Posted: 00:24:49 03/07/2017
Oh, wow, that's Shadow Legacy art? That is so strikingly similar art direction to the original trilogy! I'd even admit, I've inspired my art on that style! smilie
ladala Yellow Sparx Gems: 1935
#18 Posted: 04:55:38 03/07/2017
Most of the backstory in Shadow Legacy was through the books lying around, which this site has compiled here.

I'd consider it as canon as the GBA trilogy, though: not very. Both SL and the GBA "Season" trilogy talk about the homelands of different characters, but they contradict one another. And SL is a lot more like TLoS - Spyro is special because he's a purple dragon and has more magical potential than most others. The main villain is also a purple dragon, I think (it's kinda vague, but at the last battle he transforms into a blueish dragon and says something to the effect of "witness the power of a REAL purple dragon!"), who mind-controls another dragon and traps the Elders.

The lore of the characters is just weird, too. Zoe and the other faeries are from Treetops which is in Avatar for some reason, the moles are from some mound in the Forgotten Realms, Bianca's from Lost Fleet, which is a farm, Hunter's from a Cheetah village which traps Spyro for causing all the trouble (sound familiar?), and Dragon Shores is a resort with no theme park in sight.
---
Thank you for releasing me!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:56:30 03/07/2017 by ladala
#19 Posted: 15:23:22 03/07/2017
Those Shadow Legacy books are interesting, I didn't know they were put on this site. Also apparently not all are in game, some were just left in the game's code.

Anyway I was hoping the Spyro manga strips in the Japanese Spyro 2 manual would have some backstory, even though it wasn't made by Insomniac, but I found them again and they're just some silly situations. If you still want to check them out, here's where I found them: https://www.reddit.com/r/Spyro...tion_pages_1_3/
---
You gotta believe!
faunatic Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#20 Posted: 00:46:54 05/07/2017
some stuff is inferred by game dialogue: elora and zoe being best friends, hunter and elora knowing each other for long time, professor is from forgotten relms, etc. always kind of liked minimal lore. gives more room to speculate and have fun.
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#21 Posted: 07:45:26 05/07/2017
There's some great stuff in the instruction manuals, and I was surprised how little of the lore I knew when I went to the Spyro the Dragon wiki. I'd recommend checking those out if you've got them, or can get them (with the games, obviously) cheap. smilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me