darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Cursed Tiki Temple theory- TFB Allegory
Page 1 of 1
Cursed Tiki Temple theory- TFB Allegory
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#1 Posted: 22:28:04 07/04/2017 | Topic Creator
THE FOLLOWING TOPIC CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR CURSED TIKI TEMPLE.

So, as we all know, TFB is going through hard times. And now that i've played through CTT, i have a feeling this level is some kind of allegory.

First off, there's the setting. TFB's office is tiki themed. The level is a TIKI temple.

Second, and most, importantly- THE MAIN NPC. (spoiler alert: it's not cynder)

Bob, AKA the floating tiki head, is the main NPC. Cynder appears for approximately two scenes in the level. That's it.

BOB gets this theory rolling. TFB is, of course, toys for BOB. BOB, the TIKI-THEMED entity.

Once you get to the actual temple, he begins to regain memory. He states the following-

Quote: Bob
Whoever built this temple made it to honor the dragons. But the evil that has taken it honors nobody.

THIS single quote launches the theory into overdrive.

"To Honor The Dragons" may be referring to game one, where spyro was brought back, and HONORED as the main star.

"the evil that possesses it now honors nobody" may be activision's plans. The "posessment" may be employees being layed off, or the HQ Being taken down bit by bit. the "honors nobody" part referrers to the mindset of activision. They honor no single creator or being, only the profits they make. They honor nobody.

The voodoo doll enemies might reference the actual toys and prototypes of skylanders. And the "curse" could be activision's layoffs, plans, and mismanagement of the franchise created by TFB.

In conclusion, the real story of CTT is about a once peaceful and prosperous company with a tiki aesthetic being overtaken and put in ruin by the curse of capitalism and profits over passion.

any questions?
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 22:31:14 07/04/2017
Huh, it was obvious he was a reference to the studio, but the rest actually do make sense. Keep in mind this was before the QA layoffs, however, it might be more about the unrest in the development team overall and some people going to that other place I don't remember.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:31:30 07/04/2017 by Bifrost
#3 Posted: 22:32:14 07/04/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
Huh, it was obvious he was a reference to the studio, but the rest actually do make sense. Keep in mind this was before the QA layoffs, however, it might be more about the unrest in the development team overall and some people going to that other place I don't remember.

true.

let's see if the "TFB allegory levels" theme keeps going in LIM.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#4 Posted: 22:59:21 07/04/2017
i noticed this too, i think you are onto something here zapnorris, it sure makes sense.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#5 Posted: 23:05:29 07/04/2017
OVER ANALYZING MACHINE IS ON OVERDRIVE!

but yeah, maybe this is a small allegory.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#6 Posted: 23:09:47 07/04/2017
I'd be overanalyzing if Zap was saying the puzzles were shaped like TFB offices, but that line is REALLY out of tone with the rest of the level. It does make sense exactly because they really had no reason to explain the island's theme other than 'yeah some dark magic'.
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#7 Posted: 23:15:27 07/04/2017
Oh it very well could be true.

By the by, off topic, but I took pics of the CTT enemies, for you Bifrost. I'll try to get them online shortly.

off topic edit: Shoot, i'd either have to upload them to my facebook or my now non existent twitter. Looks like I'm gonna have to do the ol' miiverse way. I'll o it after I beat CTT
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:21:59 07/04/2017 by HeyitsHotDog
#8 Posted: 23:23:28 07/04/2017
It's better to put them up in the spoiler thread, the level pack more or less just came out in the US.
---
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#9 Posted: 23:41:15 07/04/2017
Makes sense to me. If I was working for a company like Activision I'd wanna throw in a jab at them like that too.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#10 Posted: 00:42:58 08/04/2017
Now that I look at it, maybe it is a little jab at Activision.
Bob's dialogue at the very end really makes it feel like it's a goodbye and thank-you message from Toys for Bob.
After all, it's not like this kind of thing is unheard of. The entire storyline of Yooka Laylee is a very obvious jab at Microsoft, who bought their original company (Rare) before they split off and started their own.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:44:05 08/04/2017 by TrapShadowFan
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#11 Posted: 04:54:35 08/04/2017
Oh my god now that i think about it zap your theory kinda make sanse. Mabey this level is some sort of a protest against activision crapy management.

Quote: TrapShadowFan
Bob's dialogue at the very end really makes it feel like it's a goodbye and thank-you message from Toys for Bob.
After all, it's not like this kind of thing is unheard of. The entire storyline of Yooka Laylee is a very obvious jab at Microsoft, who bought their original company (Rare) before they split off and started their own.

I hope that will not be the case, i would hate to see such a good company goes down the drain becuse of Activision.
but if i am not worng the level ended when bob stopped the flow of the evil magic so mabey its symbolise that tfb will be free from activision grip and they will bring skylanders to thier former glory or somthing like that...
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:55:29 08/04/2017 by omer1698
#12 Posted: 06:09:35 08/04/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: omer1698
Oh my god now that i think about it zap your theory kinda make sanse. Mabey this level is some sort of a protest against activision crapy management.

Quote: TrapShadowFan

I hope that will not be the case, i would hate to see such a good company goes down the drain becuse of Activision.
but if i am not worng the level ended when bob stopped the flow of the evil magic so mabey its symbolise that tfb will be free from activision grip and they will bring skylanders to thier former glory or somthing like that...

at the end, bob put himself on the stature to stop the curse. He had to surrender his freedom to keep the evils at bay.

this got too deep
Punch_Potion_X Blue Sparx Gems: 894
#13 Posted: 08:41:40 08/04/2017
Wow...

I am actually speechless.

This is a deep theory...
---
Skylanders Ring of Heroes.
Will (hopefully) only require pockets half as deep
#14 Posted: 09:22:09 08/04/2017
this make me me wonder what will be the LIM, anthor Allegory like this? and what about the Q4 adventure pack? this is getting really wierd...
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#15 Posted: 10:53:20 08/04/2017
Me now:
[User Posted Image]
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#16 Posted: 12:13:32 08/04/2017
It's something which crossed my mind while playing it, but I never really gave it too much thought.

Quite interesting theory, your explanation make it seems a lot more plausible.
Hope either Lost Imaginite Mines or the unnamed Adventure Pack will be a more positive allegory, meaning the franchise is taking a better route.

I wonder if the couple at the beginning also means something; probably just a nod to Academy, but it might be something deeper, such as Activision and another company debating on who would obtain the rights to distribute TfB's games.
In which case, Activision would definitely be the male Mabu, since he stole Bob for his own intentions and doesn't care about the consequences of using it the wrong way (as in "creating as much games as they can without thinking too much about the quality").
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#17 Posted: 14:15:37 08/04/2017
Hm. Sees pretty good. I definitely agree with the Tiki's name and the whole Tiki theme.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
#18 Posted: 16:25:54 08/04/2017
one thing that is clear now, is that activision killed spyro. tfb wanted to continue making games with spyro as their main character, but activision denied them that. and it have been a intern struggle from the start. so that is how we ended up with skylanders games, that had spyro as a character that was just lumped in there. when he actually should be the main character. because in other media we see spyro take a main part in the comics and the netflix cartoon straight away. and now we find out this thing in ctt adventure pack, its clearly tfb is telling a story here about how it all really went down, and i am sure we will find more of it in the last adventure pack. also when you take a look at the beginning of the first skylanders game. from the early days of the developments, things are very spyro focused and then things changed drastic. zapnorris did good in posting is findings in ctt, and we have a talk about it here now. we finally know the truth about spyros death and why. at least it gives us some closure instead of the game series just vanished like so many other game franchises do and we dont really know why.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#19 Posted: 16:42:10 08/04/2017
It's crazy how untrue that is because TFB did in fact have the idea for the toy series themselves, not some market pressure. It's AFTER that they pitched that idea that Acti was like 'sure spyro's kingdom is toys now do that'.

Acti isn't some devil creature that sucks the life out of franchises. They're bunch of excecs that think they know how to run franchises despite not doing anything about them other than inserting stupid ideas and deadlines to dev teams that are treated like tools since there's no such thing as game dev unions. Spyro wasn't profitable? Not safe to try to put effort into a reboot. Skylanders isn't profitable? Not safe enough to try and alter the identity a bit. It's not actual malice, it's unwillingness to change and take risks.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:56:25 08/04/2017 by Bifrost
#20 Posted: 17:02:00 08/04/2017
sure tfb did in fact have the idea for the toy series themselves, and they wanted spyro to be the main character in these games. activision signed tfb because they was looking for a new ip. but after that was done activision turned and said spyro is no good, and tfb had to give up on their original ideas for a game about spyros kingdom with dragons. i am sure that was hard to deal with, but it was that or not make games at all. then they made sure to have spyro as a figure for the coming games in one way or another. so we didnt lose spyro completely. and now at the end of skylanders tfb tells their story in the ctt adventure pack. it all makes sense now.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#21 Posted: 17:05:04 08/04/2017
That's not how it went.

TFB is given Spyro to make a new reboot.
TFB is stuck with meh gimmicks and makes a toy gimmick with Spyro as mission control as a last ditch idea before they lose the project.
That ends up getting accepted and at first they don't make much of a Spyro game anymore.
They eventually decide that it's too much of a change to make him an NPC in his own game and put him back in.
Acti could give less of a **** if it's got Spyro or not and just later ends up making the marketing team put Pop Fizz in the flagship spot instead of Spyro.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:05:24 08/04/2017 by Bifrost
#22 Posted: 17:16:14 08/04/2017
it is been proven time after time that acti sucks the life out of franchises. if anything is a devil creature in gaming it sure is acti, and that without no doubt. you always hear the winners side of things not the losers, in this case tfb is on the losing side, and they actually are sneaking out the true story in their last adventure packs. zapnorris pointed it out nicely above here and it makes very much sense, of how things have happened with the skylanders games.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#23 Posted: 17:51:36 08/04/2017
well atleast from all of this mess we got skylanders. the sad thing is that activison had million chunces to change thier management but they just keept goin the same path, the path that brought tfb and skyladners to the deep **** they are stuck in right now. if activision were just think few steps ahead spyro could be in his rightfel place in the front (i like pop fizz but with all do respact he is not a main character material). and even more then that they could have put skylanders in the same sky with pokemon, mario and all the other video game titans.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#24 Posted: 18:57:30 08/04/2017 | Topic Creator
next time on skylanders theory: kaos is sans is ness?
Emerald Clouds Green Sparx Gems: 328
#25 Posted: 00:56:55 09/04/2017
Very interesting.. Also I am new here so hi!
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1806
#26 Posted: 01:13:17 09/04/2017
This TFB allegory thing is just overexageration if you ask me. Highly doubt this was the meaning of CTT
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:13:43 09/04/2017 by SkyFan91
#27 Posted: 02:09:14 09/04/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: SkyFan91
This TFB allegory thing is just overexageration if you ask me. Highly doubt this was the meaning of CTT

cursed tiki temple is about capitalism and you cant tell me otherwise bud
#28 Posted: 02:30:28 09/04/2017
Quote: ZapNorris
Quote: SkyFan91

cursed tiki temple is about capitalism and you cant tell me otherwise bud

Your right! I can't change your mind. But this entire topic shows how people can exaggerate this much
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#29 Posted: 03:24:00 09/04/2017
I'm not gonna instantly assume it was all a big TfB reference. Yeah, some points were obvious nods such as the main NPC being named
Bob
but the rest could be anything. Still, I wouldn't be too surprised if referencing their offices was their intention. Again, Yooka-Laylee did it recently too, and tons of other games and even cartoons do it sometimes.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:24:37 09/04/2017 by TrapShadowFan
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#30 Posted: 21:06:17 09/04/2017
I got around to finally playing the level today. Firstly, it was great. Really enjoyed the level. Secondly, I can see where you're going with that theory.
#31 Posted: 21:11:34 09/04/2017 | Topic Creator
guys i didnt expect this theory to actually resonate and check out this is surreal
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#32 Posted: 23:49:55 09/04/2017
It all make sense
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Sworn2Skylands Yellow Sparx Gems: 1353
#33 Posted: 18:50:42 21/04/2017
I also had the same thoughts about
Bob's
name being a reference to the developers, but otherwise, I'm with the users who are saying this is over analyzed and over exaggerated. Ultimately, to make such passive-aggressive commentary about Activision would be a spectacular example of biting the hand that feeds them, not to mention telegraphing their (theoretical) weakness as a development team if they're that easily rattled and would just come across as whining. And this would be a message they'd be sending to anyone who plays Skylanders Imaginators in America, Australia or Europe.

That would be a pretty bold move.
#34 Posted: 18:59:17 21/04/2017
TFB has no reason to be nice at this point though, a huge chunk of the core team was let go or left on their own already. We'll see later this year or in the next, but if they really get thrown under the bus because of Activision's own shortcomings with Skylanders, they had good reason to put a message in the last of their works.
---
#35 Posted: 19:49:07 21/04/2017
This is all just overexageration once again highly doubt this is the reasoning of CTT. I know you guys don't like Acti but...really? Like seriously this is just an overthought topic not trying to be rude :/
#36 Posted: 19:53:23 21/04/2017
It's no bias just because we don't like the publisher. Devs aren't just kissing their superior's feet at every turn, y'know. With no word on their relationship(some teams are treated great, some aren't, just the way it is) we can only make guesses.
---
#37 Posted: 20:07:13 21/04/2017
Quote: Bifrost
It's no bias just because we don't like the publisher. Devs aren't just kissing their superior's feet at every turn, y'know. With no word on their relationship(some teams are treated great, some aren't, just the way it is) we can only make guesses.

Never said that they aren't always kissing their feet and I honestly don't think that TFB is found of Acti. HOWEVER my point is that this topic is just overthought if that makes any sense
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me