Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > While we're on a representation streak...
Page 1 of 1
While we're on a representation streak...
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#1 Posted: 19:39:45 20/03/2017 | Topic Creator
The Yellow Ranger in the Power Rangers Movie is Gay

Frankly, I couldn't care less about this film, but at least it has that going for it.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#2 Posted: 19:42:40 20/03/2017
i dont have a problem with this.

what i do have a problem with is that [urlhttp://ew.com/article/2010/08/26/original-power-ranger-harassed-gay/]David Yost "Billy" was harassed for being gay. it continued until he walked off set and never came back.[/url]

he had a nervous breakdown years later.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:45:54 20/03/2017 by parisruelz12
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#3 Posted: 19:45:55 20/03/2017
The Blue Ranger is also on the Autism Spectrum.

yet again- very happy.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#4 Posted: 23:00:36 20/03/2017
Quote: ZapNorris

Yep, it's confirmed. At least you feel represented little buddy.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#5 Posted: 23:20:49 20/03/2017
Quote:
'Power Rangers' Breaks Ground With First Queer Big-Screen Superhero

isn't deadpool confirmed to be pansexual?

Quote: ZapNorris

but why? why make him on the spectrum? it just feels like the studio is tryin to get more progressive points
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:25:12 20/03/2017 by Blackholes_Wolf
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#6 Posted: 23:36:16 20/03/2017
I'm pretty sure we had LGBT heroes before? Either way, as long as both are written well, whatevs, good for them. Just don't make such a huge fuss like the gay character in Beauty in the Beast that has like one scene where it's not even that overt but it was treated like they discovered dark matter.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#7 Posted: 23:38:58 20/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
I'm pretty sure we had LGBT heroes before? Either way, as long as both are written well, whatevs, good for them. Just don't make such a huge fuss like the gay character in Beauty in the Beast that has like one scene where it's not even that overt but it was treated like they discovered dark matter.

This. Just write characters first before you give them labels n ****
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#8 Posted: 23:58:46 20/03/2017
Cool, I guess. Doesn't really matter to me because I wasn't going to see the movie but I guess it's important.

But I agree with Blackholes. I feel like this and every other movie nowadays are trying so hard to be "progressive."
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
#9 Posted: 00:03:10 21/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Chompy-King257
Cool, I guess. Doesn't really matter to me because I wasn't going to see the movie but I guess it's important.

But I agree with Blackholes. I feel like this and every other movie nowadays are trying so hard to be "progressive."

I feel like in order for the progressivism to work, people need to stop making such a big deal out of when it happens. Just let the characters be characters and don't acknowledge it outside of the context of "this is a character in a movie/show"
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#10 Posted: 00:08:03 21/03/2017
Quote: TheToyNerd

I feel like in order for the progressivism to work, people need to stop making such a big deal out of when it happens. Just let the characters be characters and don't acknowledge it outside of the context of "this is a character in a movie/show"

YES.
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
#11 Posted: 00:09:25 21/03/2017
tbh they shouldn't even announce it before the movie comes out, the only reason they do it in the first place is to generate buzz
#12 Posted: 00:19:00 21/03/2017
I mean, i like these representations because it doesn't change the plot of the movie.

A lot of times in modern media, the plot makes sure to force "oh so and so is gay" on you, in a way that takes away from whatever it was trying to do, and makes things offensive to a point it's just trying to be edgy. (looking at you, family guy)

but having these characters that still do awesome things and have these characteristics that don't define the character, but at the same time don't completely change them. Maybe a kid's watching power rangers and thinks "these guys might all be different, but they're still heroes." and that's what i like. nobody's "normal". there's no such thing. we're all different in one way or another, whether we choose to say it or not. but seeing modern media get to a state where the differences and different viewpoints of the world can be seen as accepted and even celebrated by these big name franchises makes me feel better about the direction of our society.

*this concludes the once-in-a-blue-moon serious zap post.*
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12119
#13 Posted: 00:22:18 21/03/2017
This stuff is obviously pandering. Though the original Power Rangers already had that Burger King Kids Club-esque diversity in it, where the main cast were a bunch of goody-two shoes all colors of the rainbow. So it's not entirely inappropriate for this series.

Quote: Blackholes_Wolf
but why? why make him on the spectrum? it just feels like the studio is tryin to get more progressive points

That's exactly what it is. The demographic they're trying to cater to demands more representation (well, the loudest part does). So executives tell studios to implement more diversity to gain Gud Boi points from their desired audience for being "subversive".
They also want to stir up controversy on the news and social media. A conservative group will inevitably boycott the movie, but there will be many more who go to see the movie out of retaliation.
So diversity — especially "shocking" diversity — is considered profitable now.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:24:45 21/03/2017 by Carmelita Fox
#14 Posted: 00:44:35 21/03/2017 | Topic Creator

YES.
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN.

I think the best modern example of this is having Mac from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia come out as gay. I mean, it's been a joke for over a decade that he's deep in the closet, so it's only right that at some point he reveals his true identity. Plus, THE CHARACTER HASN'T CHANGED ALL THAT MUCH SINCE THE REVEAL!

Sure, he referenced it in a few passing lines after it, but he's still written as Mac.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#15 Posted: 00:59:26 21/03/2017
Why is everyone a minority today I'm so confused
---
Bruh
#16 Posted: 01:08:20 21/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Crash10

Don't ya know! It's National Progressivism Day, I guess
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#17 Posted: 01:10:41 21/03/2017
Quote: Crash10

Don't ya know! It's National Progressivism Day, I guess

Shame I'm so normal and have nothing special to share.

But hey at least I'm not psychopath. That wouldn't be the best thing.
---
Bruh
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6072
#18 Posted: 03:11:11 21/03/2017
Quote:
'Power Rangers' Breaks Ground With First Queer Big-Screen Superhero

isn't deadpool confirmed to be pansexual?

Deadpool is Pansexual.
Iceman is Gay. (And I believe the first LGBT to appear on the big-screen from Marvel's crowd.)
Spiderman is straight, though there's enough canon suggestive material shipping him with Deadpool in various comic series that brings it into question that Parker might at least be Bi.
Watchmen's "The Silhouette" is a Lesbian and was briefly featured in the movie. Albeit only her kissing another woman followed by her death scene.
Though not a feature film in theaters, Batwoman (Kathy Kane) has appeared in a couple of animated films and is a confirmed Lesbian.

I'm sure there's more, these are just the ones I know.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:11:46 21/03/2017 by Seiki
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#19 Posted: 05:53:04 21/03/2017
Quote: Seiki
Deadpool is Pansexual.
Iceman is Gay. (And I believe the first LGBT to appear on the big-screen from Marvel's crowd.)
Spiderman is straight, though there's enough canon suggestive material shipping him with Deadpool in various comic series that brings it into question that Parker might at least be Bi.
Watchmen's "The Silhouette" is a Lesbian and was briefly featured in the movie. Albeit only her kissing another woman followed by her death scene.
Though not a feature film in theaters, Batwoman (Kathy Kane) has appeared in a couple of animated films and is a confirmed Lesbian.

I'm sure there's more, these are just the ones I know.

-deadpool and film deadpool are canon pan, just not explicitly stated (as it should be, i want representation that isnt shoved in my face)
-iceman is gay, just not in the films, since the last time we saw him was DoFP (2014) and the gay reveal in the comics took place in 2015
-agreed on that spidey thing
-agreed on the silhouette
-agreed on batwoman but there hasnt been a big screen release with her yet

ADDITIONALLY:
-wonder woman is canonically LGBT and earth one wonder woman is implied to be trans though neither are canon in the DCEU so far
-catwoman is bi but not yet in the DCEU
-john constantine is bi but not yet in the DCEU (he has a great chance tho bc of that rumored justice league dark live action film)

so outside of deadpool and trini, we don't have GREAT LGBT superhero reps on screen just yet, but ill give it some time

Quote: Drawdler
also pink ranger is token girl

lol seriously this kinda stuff kind of reminds me how every 80's/90's thing had to have a token girl character (not exactly the same or to the same extent, but they feel shoved in the same way)

I heard Peridot from SU has Asperger's or is based on it, and as someone with Asperger's, I think she'd be the way to handle this kind of thing. They don't make a big deal out of it outside the show and they don't dedicate episodes or anything to showing that she has/is based on it or go explaining what Asperger's is. I didn't even know she had/was based on it until someone mentioned it to me, and I prefer never having my Asperger's brought up, and I'd hate having that trait used to market a character. However, when a character happens to have Asperger's and that isn't shoved in your face via marketing or explicitly focused on in any scenes, I have no issue with it.
If you feel like you have to outright explain or market that a character is similar to me, it doesn't make me feel like I'm being represented, or that people will better understand me if they see more Aspergian characters (although both may be true), I'm still an individual and Asperger's doesn't dictate everything I do... I actually find my interests becoming more and more broad these days and I don't really feel like I have a problem understanding people and not too many speaking with people. Then again, this is coming from someone who's ashamed of her disability and would prefer to completely forget about it. That's just me, and I know representation will help others feel better and could make a positive difference. But me aside, character having mental disability =/= their entire personality.

are u dissin my girl kimberly? > : (

but yeah, i really agree on your whole representation bit
im trans, bi, and a type one diabetic
id love to see all of those things get some mainstream representation without it being shoved in my face and told "hey, look at this thing, im special!"
i just want it to seem normal, like heres this character whos trans or gay or on the autism spectrum or whatever representation you want, without it seeming forced
like i dont want their friends questioning it or whole story arcs dedicated to it, stuff like that doesnt make me feel normal, and im sure it doesnt for many other people with any of these things
a good character (especially when it comes to LGBT stuff) isnt defined by one specific character trait, theyre made up of a bunch, but they dont let that one trait define them, otherwise its stereotyping
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#20 Posted: 12:29:56 21/03/2017
tbh they shouldn't even announce it before the movie comes out, the only reason they do it in the first place is to generate buzz

Quote: Carmelita Fox
This stuff is obviously pandering. Though the original Power Rangers already had that Burger King Kids Club-esque diversity in it, where the main cast were a bunch of goody-two shoes all colors of the rainbow. So it's not entirely inappropriate for this series.

That's exactly what it is. The demographic they're trying to cater to demands more representation (well, the loudest part does). So executives tell studios to implement more diversity to gain Gud Boi points from their desired audience for being "subversive".
They also want to stir up controversy on the news and social media. A conservative group will inevitably boycott the movie, but there will be many more who go to see the movie out of retaliation.

Pretty much these. Whatever happened to keeping things like that a secret and leaving them for the audience to discover and discuss after seeing the movie? *siiiiiiiiiiigh*
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#21 Posted: 19:29:09 21/03/2017
Quote: HIR

Quote: Carmelita Fox

Pretty much these. Whatever happened to keeping things like that a secret and leaving them for the audience to discover and discuss after seeing the movie? *siiiiiiiiiiigh*

$$$$$
#22 Posted: 23:10:02 22/03/2017
[User Posted Image]

b-but muh lgbt!!!!!!
#23 Posted: 01:47:38 23/03/2017
[User Posted Image]

b-but muh lgbt!!!!!!

oh boy.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me