Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Sesame Street Introduces it's first Autistic Muppet, Julia.
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
Sesame Street Introduces it's first Autistic Muppet, Julia.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#1 Posted: 13:05:46 20/03/2017 | Topic Creator
No vaccine jokes, please.

This just goes to show how awesome Sesame Street still is and is by far one of the best kids shows out there today. I'm not autistic myself, but I am happy that they're represented in just a legendary show.

She's appeared in a few books, I believe, but she's joining the main cast in April.

---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:12:30 20/03/2017 by HeyitsHotDog
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12119
#2 Posted: 13:34:41 20/03/2017
where's my psychopathic muppet hbo
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#3 Posted: 13:59:47 20/03/2017
And how much you wanna bet parents are gonna freak out about this?

Quote: Carmelita Fox
where's my psychopathic muppet hbo

[User Posted Image]
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#4 Posted: 14:04:04 20/03/2017
very good.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#5 Posted: 14:22:10 20/03/2017
I forget, is Sesame Street still PBS? Because the feds intend to kill public broadcasting, so what will happen to this show? <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#6 Posted: 15:10:16 20/03/2017
[autistic screeching]
#7 Posted: 15:20:52 20/03/2017
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf
[autistic screeching]

oh yes
Samius Hunter Gems: 9242
#8 Posted: 15:48:52 20/03/2017
Eh, great. I'm not exactly against the change or anything, but I can't help but to wonder what the point of this was. It was probably made to please certain adults, since the kids likely won't give a ****. I can see them just regarding this character as "strange" without looking too much into it.
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#9 Posted: 16:20:16 20/03/2017
Quote: Samius
Eh, great. I'm not exactly against the change or anything, but I can't help but to wonder what the point of this was. It was probably made to please certain adults, since the kids likely won't give a ****. I can see them just regarding this character as "strange" without looking too much into it.

This is more or less my mentality about representation like this. Like, good for them, but I'm not sure why people tend to act like people boil down to one or two specific labels, know?
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#10 Posted: 17:16:14 20/03/2017
arthur did it already

parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#11 Posted: 18:55:58 20/03/2017
i really dont care. i dont have a problem with it, i just....really dont care
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#12 Posted: 19:08:43 20/03/2017
i'm pretty happy about this.
#13 Posted: 19:19:24 20/03/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: ZapNorris

Why so? Just curious.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#14 Posted: 19:24:21 20/03/2017
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Why so? Just curious.

we could always use more representation. smilie
Pokemon2 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3814
#15 Posted: 19:41:22 20/03/2017
That's great
---
Moved to TimDrake, talk to me there.
wspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#16 Posted: 20:57:48 20/03/2017
oh hey that's pretty neat :o
C1nder Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10076
#17 Posted: 21:00:30 20/03/2017
this is p awesome
Gengar Guy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1424
#18 Posted: 21:09:27 20/03/2017
What's next, a suicidal muppet?!

And in case you are wondering, yes I have Autism.
---
I always come back. Discord: .spectrespecs
#19 Posted: 21:11:02 20/03/2017 | Topic Creator

Why so? Just curious.

YOU'RE AUTISTIC!?
---
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#20 Posted: 21:24:57 20/03/2017

Why so? Just curious.

YOU'RE AUTISTIC!?

I mean... wasn't it obvious?

I am a bad person, I know
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#21 Posted: 21:32:54 20/03/2017
Quote: HIR
I forget, is Sesame Street still PBS? Because the feds intend to kill public broadcasting, so what will happen to this show? <.<

It's on HBO
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#22 Posted: 21:40:03 20/03/2017
Quote: Wreckingball13

It's on HBO

which is the same network that shows game of thrones, lol.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#23 Posted: 23:54:02 20/03/2017
Quote: TheJMAN184
So when do we get the down syndrome muppet?

I mean, don't we already have Cookie Monster to cover those bases?
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#24 Posted: 23:54:17 20/03/2017
That's good. I know there are many kids and parents a like who are going to appreciate that.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:02:32 21/03/2017 by Chompy-King257
Iblistech Platinum Sparx Gems: 5099
#25 Posted: 23:57:06 20/03/2017
Quote: Gengar Guy
What's next, a suicidal muppet?!

And in case you are wondering, yes I have Autism.

I've got it too. I think it's pretty neat that they're doing this.
---
Hail to the King, baby!
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#26 Posted: 00:02:44 21/03/2017
I remember a few years back when Micky Mouse Club House had a new friend named Coco or something that had diabetes. I mean, I live with Type 1, and I guess it was kinda cool to see a representation of people like me in the media.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
#27 Posted: 00:20:55 21/03/2017

Why so? Just curious.

YOU'RE AUTISTIC!?

yep. high functioning.

i don't really say anything about it to most people (stigmas, ya know), but this felt like an appropriate time.

happy to see the spectrum represented well.
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#28 Posted: 00:23:12 21/03/2017
Quote: parisruelz12
Quote: Wreckingball13

It's on HBO

which is the same network that shows game of thrones, lol.

-----
#29 Posted: 00:24:43 21/03/2017 | Topic Creator

YOU'RE AUTISTIC!?

yep. high functioning.

i don't really say anything about it to most people (stigmas, ya know), but this felt like an appropriate time.

Uh, color me surprised....some what.
---
#30 Posted: 00:29:24 21/03/2017

YOU'RE AUTISTIC!?

yep. high functioning.

Uh, color me surprised....some what.

really surprised nobody figured it out, tbh.

and now you all get to unlock the backstory of darkspyro's least favorite memelord
#31 Posted: 00:36:35 21/03/2017 | Topic Creator
If anyone wants to feel even better, acclaimed actor, Anthony Hopkins, has high end Asperger Symdrome.
---
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#32 Posted: 00:41:07 21/03/2017
It's about time.
---
^ You all know it's true
Waaksian Emerald Sparx Gems: 4906
#33 Posted: 01:20:08 21/03/2017

See, I can understand why you may think that, but take it from me. I grew up with a brother who was diagnosed with severe autism, so I'm very familiar with the way people with that disability behave. I can spot it from yards away, and I know how to interact with people who have it.

But when I went to high school, I realized that it wasn't the case with everyone. There was a special needs class that my brother when to in the same school as me. And when I heard some of the other students talk about these kids, they talked about how strange and unnerving their behavior was to them. Like, "Oh, this autistic kid kept making the same weird noise across the hallway," and, "Oh, this autistic kid took his pants all the way down in the bathroom when I was a freshman, and it freaked me out, and I thought, 'This isn't a normal school!'"

So it occurred to me that not everyone knows why autistic people act the way they do, or that they even exist at all, until they meet one and are completely thrown off. I was normalized to autism, but a lot of other people aren't. So having an autistic character in a children's show can help normalize the existence of people with autism. This clip showed that, despite the differences, you can still play and interact with them, even though you probably can't the same way as you can other kids. It'll teach them that you don't have to avoid them out of fear of the unknown, because now they know how to be around them.

Am I making sense, or am I just rambling now?
#34 Posted: 01:52:25 21/03/2017
Quote: Waaksian

See, I can understand why you may think that, but take it from me. I grew up with a brother who was diagnosed with severe autism, so I'm very familiar with the way people with that disability behave. I can spot it from yards away, and I know how to interact with people who have it.

But when I went to high school, I realized that it wasn't the case with everyone. There was a special needs class that my brother when to in the same school as me. And when I heard some of the other students talk about these kids, they talked about how strange and unnerving their behavior was to them. Like, "Oh, this autistic kid kept making the same weird noise across the hallway," and, "Oh, this autistic kid took his pants all the way down in the bathroom when I was a freshman, and it freaked me out, and I thought, 'This isn't a normal school!'"

So it occurred to me that not everyone knows why autistic people act the way they do, or that they even exist at all, until they meet one and are completely thrown off. I was normalized to autism, but a lot of other people aren't. So having an autistic character in a children's show can help normalize the existence of people with autism. This clip showed that, despite the differences, you can still play and interact with them, even though you probably can't the same way as you can other kids. It'll teach them that you don't have to avoid them out of fear of the unknown, because now they know how to be around them.

No, you're definitely making sense. I have Aspergers too, and I can vouch for the fact that some (not all) of my peers either avoided me, or were extremely jealous because of my high level of intellect when I was little, so I was made fun of for it.
---
Hail to the King, baby!
#35 Posted: 01:54:02 21/03/2017

making a ton of sense.
84skylanderdude Platinum Sparx Gems: 5528
#36 Posted: 01:58:12 21/03/2017
I have Asperger's (which to my knowledge is on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum) and all I have to say to this is

Eh
---
“No one knows what the outcome will be. So, as much as you can, choose whatever you'll regret the least.” - Levi Ackerman
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#37 Posted: 02:14:00 21/03/2017
I´m ok with this. People won´t complain that there´s no Autistic Representive in a TV Show...
#38 Posted: 02:20:22 21/03/2017 | Topic Creator
I have known a few people with autism and Aspergers. One was for the most part pretty normal, he had a few quirks, such as an excited wild, er, jolt as I'll call it. He also some times, when in a bad mood, would just stay in one place and have this scowl on his face and not respond to anyone. Another notible thing he had was an incredible hand in art. When I say incredible I mean ****ing incredible. From cartoony to something you'd see out of Mass Effect. A good friend I haven't spoken to in a few years...Hmm.

Another was a girl. Very sweet and in fact had a crush on me for maybe Junior and Senior year in High School. A good singing voice as well. Although she sometimes couldn't handle pressure well and would go "ok ok ok!" when asked to focus on something or such as that.

Either way, both very good people.
---
#39 Posted: 02:22:18 21/03/2017
I understand the reasoning you guys are given, but I'm kind of in Samius's boat of "I'm not too sure about this." On the one hand I do think it's a good idea to introduce young TV viewers to the concept of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) since, along with ADHD, it is a neurodevelopmental disability that the average kid is likely to encounter at multiple points in their lifetime.

However, I think there are potential drawbacks to this. The first is, of course, the creation of a stereotype. Now of course this is just Sesame Street. But remember that there's already an extraordinarily popular CBS sitcom out there (not gonna mention names) with a main character that ticks off every checkbox on the ASD list. And I know for a fact that members of the Autism community (at least that I know) have gotten a fair amount of ribbing comparing them to said character... and not in a good way.

The other problem is that, for this gig to work, Sesame Street is anticipating the kid watching will have a parent/sibling/guardian/etc. who is accepting of the autism spectrum and can help explain things to the child. Sadly, not every kid will have something like that... so the intended effect could be lost. Or, worst case scenario, the adult encourages the kid to be antagonistic toward people with autism and the kid accepts it.

Hey, it can happen. It's TV, man. <.>;
---
#40 Posted: 02:35:33 21/03/2017
I understand the reasoning you guys are given, but I'm kind of in Samius's boat of "I'm not too sure about this." On the one hand I do think it's a good idea to introduce young TV viewers to the concept of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) since, along with ADHD, it is a neurodevelopmental disability that the average kid is likely to encounter at multiple points in their lifetime.

However, I think there are potential drawbacks to this. The first is, of course, the creation of a stereotype. Now of course this is just Sesame Street. But remember that there's already an extraordinarily popular CBS sitcom out there (not gonna mention names) with a main character that ticks off every checkbox on the ASD list. And I know for a fact that members of the Autism community (at least that I know) have gotten a fair amount of ribbing comparing them to said character... and not in a good way.

The other problem is that, for this gig to work, Sesame Street is anticipating the kid watching will have a parent/sibling/guardian/etc. who is accepting of the autism spectrum and can help explain things to the child. Sadly, not every kid will have something like that... so the intended effect could be lost. Or, worst case scenario, the adult encourages the kid to be antagonistic toward people with autism and the kid accepts it.

Now that you mention it, I seriously hope Sesame Street does not end up falling prey or succumbing to what I put in bold. I'd hate to see one of my favorite shows as a kid become a victim of the utter stupidity and antagonistic approach that's been running rampant in some recent cartoons and other shows.
---
Hail to the King, baby!
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#41 Posted: 04:09:33 21/03/2017

I want to think it's a positive to show from early on that it's perfectly fine and acceptable even if they're just a little different. The alternative is that they don't know anything about it until they get older and see their parents see them refer to autistics as weirdos or, worse, go onto the internet and see autism used as the new "retard" (as in, a generic catch all insult to refer to someone seen as stupid).

See also LGBT groups. Yeah kids won't really give a **** at that age but it's still nice to further reinforce that it's ok, rather than let them not give a **** then, but then grow up around volatile people who insist it isn't.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:10:34 21/03/2017 by CAV
Samius Hunter Gems: 9242
#42 Posted: 12:48:07 21/03/2017

No, you're making sense and it's a good endeavor, but my point was that this isn't going to have the desired effect.

I just don't think that a muppet is ever going to provide people with enough anecdotal evidence to form an opinion on autistic people. Especially to a young enough person (the age of the supposed target audience of Sesame Street is about 3 years?) that they won't understand what they see without someone making sense out of it for them.
That's why I think Julia was created to please certain adults. Essentially, she's a character that was made in an attempt to represent autism, and only people older than kids will acknowledge it and see it that way.
I also can't believe that the change was an entirely altruistic one. For all I know it might as well be an attempt to appeal to people's sensibilities in order to increase sales.

I did also say that I don't mind the change, as it's not really detrimental to the show or anybody's well being (I also don't really think about Sesame Street a lot in general), but I do think that it is a bit redundant. At the very least people seem to have unrealistic expectations on how much it will actually matter.

Quote: CAV
I want to think it's a positive to show from early on that it's perfectly fine and acceptable even if they're just a little different. The alternative is that they don't know anything about it until they get older and see their parents see them refer to autistics as weirdos or, worse, go onto the internet and see autism used as the new "retard" (as in, a generic catch all insult to refer to someone seen as stupid).

See also LGBT groups. Yeah kids won't really give a **** at that age but it's still nice to further reinforce that it's ok, rather than let them not give a **** then, but then grow up around volatile people who insist it isn't.

Is it positive? Well.. Yeah? What I meant was that it won't really matter or change anything, so any positive impact it would have would be diminished greatly. The experiences that the kids will grow up to have will overrule whatever attitude they might have formed while watching Sesame Street.
That's not to say that this thing is bad. It's a noble attempt, even if it was just a marketing-thing. I just don't think it will do all that much.

And yeah, then there's this. Given that it can make an actual change, the "positive reinforcement"-part is still not automatic. It relies heavily on the attitudes of the people that the kids grow up around.
Therefore, you could argue that if a parent has a positive view on autism their kids will grow up accepting it regardless of what they see on TV (assuming that the subject is ever brought up, which -I will give it that- this new character at least guarantees to some extent).

Also, usually when people create characters to represent certain misunderstood identities, it doesn't really go as planned because they're already being used as a butt of numerous jokes. There is really no short-term fix for anything like that, and the more these things are pushed forward the more people will have enough of them.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:58:43 21/03/2017 by Samius
#43 Posted: 15:54:22 21/03/2017
Quote: Drawdler
But remember that there's already an extraordinarily popular CBS sitcom out there (not gonna mention names) with a main character that ticks off every checkbox on the ASD list. And I know for a fact that members of the Autism community (at least that I know) have gotten a fair amount of ribbing comparing them to said character... and not in a good way.

BUT WAIT!! CBS have ordered a prequel to said sitcom, which at some point, is probably going to try focusing on the Autism of said character purely for brownie points. :V

Oh man, i know about said show.
#44 Posted: 17:36:46 21/03/2017
Quote: Drawdler
But remember that there's already an extraordinarily popular CBS sitcom out there (not gonna mention names) with a main character that ticks off every checkbox on the ASD list. And I know for a fact that members of the Autism community (at least that I know) have gotten a fair amount of ribbing comparing them to said character... and not in a good way.

BUT WAIT!! CBS have ordered a prequel to said sitcom, which at some point, is probably going to try focusing on the Autism of said character purely for brownie points. :V

And I imagine that may make things worse for the young children with autism. <.<
---
Gengar Guy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1424
#45 Posted: 01:30:34 23/03/2017
Now all we need is a retarded muppet, and we're good to go!
---
I always come back. Discord: .spectrespecs
#46 Posted: 01:56:53 23/03/2017

I thought Cookie Monster covered that bingo square a long time ago.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#47 Posted: 01:57:33 23/03/2017

W-What
---
Bruh
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#48 Posted: 04:53:27 23/03/2017
Quote: Crash10

W-What

You heard him.
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me