Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
No New Console Game in 2017
dark52 Spyro the Admin Gems: 13842
#1 Posted: 23:27:39 09/02/2017 | Topic Creator
In their earnings call today Activision announced that they will not be making a new Skylanders console game this year but will instead be focusing on further supporting Skylanders Imaginators with "multiple adventure packs, new characters, and new in-game content". They did however announce that a new Skylanders mobile game is in development but did not provide any further details.

Quote: Earnings Call
In 2017, rather than releasing a new console title, we will be supporting the award winning Skylanders Imaginators with multiple adventure packs, new characters and new in-game content.

We are also excited to bring Skylanders Imaginators to Nintendo Switch as a launch title next month and we have a new Skylanders mobile game in development.

The first of this new content is arriving in March in the form of the Cursed Tiki Temple Adventure Pack which comes with Wild Storm. A second new Adventure Pack featuring RO-BOW has also been discovered with a late April release but its name still remains a mystery.

This is all fairly reminiscent of Disney's original announcement of the future of Disney Infinity before they ultimately cancelled the series just two months later. Hopefully with the Netflix show being renewed for a third season and this new mobile game in development it won't turn out the same way and we'll get a properly followed through plan for the future of the Skylanders franchise.
---
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, I hate you.
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12083
#2 Posted: 23:57:24 09/02/2017
spyro pls com bak
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#3 Posted: 00:10:20 10/02/2017
cool now the game won't be on sell for 2 usd
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#4 Posted: 00:22:11 10/02/2017
Quote: Carmelita Fox
spyro pls com bak

Who's Spyro
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:22:25 10/02/2017 by Crash10
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#5 Posted: 03:28:13 10/02/2017
Multiple Adventure Packs? MULTIPLE???!!!

OH MAN I NEED TO GET MY WALLET READY.

Super hyped to see the new characters too.
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
AshDragon93 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1233
#6 Posted: 04:08:32 10/02/2017
YES at long last, i hope this is the end for skylanders
it's had it's time, now it's time they move onto other things for once
you know what i don't even care what people think of my comment, i want a new spyro game, i've waited so damn long for a new spyro game
---
thank you for coming and have a nice day
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 06:55:12 10/02/2017 by AshDragon93
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#7 Posted: 04:40:44 10/02/2017
Ah yes, the logic "skylnders dies=spyro can have his own games." There's no guarantee Spyro will get his own series if skylanders is canceled. Activision will only give him his own series if they feel like they can make a profit off it. And Crash is getting remastered, proving you they can have their game series and be in skylanders at the same time. Bowser and DK were also guest stars, Bowser didn't disappear from Mario games, and DK even has his own game series. Nintendo won't just say "sorry, they were in skylanders once so none of them can ever appear again."
---
Dead
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#8 Posted: 05:43:52 10/02/2017
It dasent mean no sky7 at all, there is stil hope...
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Eizons Green Sparx Gems: 470
#9 Posted: 06:42:07 10/02/2017
Wow... Just... Wow... No game this year and people are already jumping to conclusion? You know why Infiny failed? Because it was boring. Three games and they improved nothing. The last game was just as boring as the first game was.
Now look at Skylanders. I will admit I have only played Imaginators and Super Charges on the PS3 and Spyro's Adventure and Giants on the 3DS, but none the less, each entry brought in new characters, new gameplay mechanics and new stories that was recreations from an existing francies.
I was a little bumped when I found out that all of the content was already in the Imaginators when I brought, but to know that they are going to make new characters and new places to go makes me happy and will hopefully give the team some time to figure out where to go next, know that we have create your own skylander as a feature.
#10 Posted: 07:00:29 10/02/2017
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Quote: AshDragon93
you know what i don't even care what people think of my comment, i want a new spyro game, i've waited so damn long for a new spyro game. skylanders is not a good game it's bad, and you know what say what you want about my comment, because i don't care at all

1. While I personally don't care much for Skylanders, just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's bad. That's merely your opinion.
2. If you didn't care, you wouldn't have edited your post to say that you don't care.

yes i don't like it because it's a waste of money, and two i know how much crap i would have got from that before, that's why i changed it

also i know how much they are all up, but i won't say, not unless i need too
---
#11 Posted: 07:14:03 10/02/2017
Quote: Sesshomaru75
you know what i don't even care what people think of my comment, i want a new spyro game, i've waited so damn long for a new spyro game. skylanders is not a good game it's bad, and you know what say what you want about my comment, because i don't care at all

1. While I personally don't care much for Skylanders, just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's bad. That's merely your opinion.
2. If you didn't care, you wouldn't have edited your post to say that you don't care.

yes i don't like it because it's a waste of money, and two i know how much crap i would have got from that before, that's why i changed it

also i know how much they are all up, but i won't say, not unless i need too

You do realize that a new game featuring only Spyro has a very high potential of being "crap" too, right? Just because it's a Spyro game doesn't turn it into a master piece right away.
And, as Sess pointed out, just because you don't enjoy it, doesn't mean others can't enjoy it and the fact that it sounds like you haven't played it, just means that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
#12 Posted: 07:41:18 10/02/2017
alright i'm done with this, because i know this will break out into a fight and i will get banned for it again
all i will say now is all i want now is a new spyro game, i've waited 9 year's for a new spyro game, i won't care if it's good or bad. heck i would even be happy to see spyro out of skylanders, they can keep it going for all i care but with out that dragon in it, there happy I said it

here is the shut down part for you all
all up, for all 6 games with every toy and what ever goes with the games $6758.15 and that is right, i've added it all up from the 1st one to 6th one

and yes i have played the past 5 skylanders games and did not like them and saw what they all were, so there you go. i even got rid of them all last year and got some money for it
---
skymaster284 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1301
#13 Posted: 15:15:12 10/02/2017
this is ok
obidawsn Gold Sparx Gems: 2901
#14 Posted: 16:14:01 10/02/2017
I think this is good for Skylanders. People were getting tired of buying a new starter pack every year. The Lego Dimensions model seems to be working for them. I'm hoping they will make ways to add more stuff to use to create Imaginators. I believe that is what will make this game keep going.

As for the Infinity comment in the original post, I don't see how that has anything to do with it. Yes, they did announce something similar right before it was canceled, but that wasn't on Infinity. Everyone keeps wanting to point to Disney Infinity being a failure, but it was in that announcement that they were going to keep making new content for the current starter pack that showed they had faith that it would keep going. It was doing well and not the failure everyone is trying to make it out to be (mostly because they were Infinity haters). I never cared for Infinity, but I also know the facts. Infinity was successful. They had plans to keep making new add-ons (some were even made but never released). However, Disney looked at the Interactive department as a whole and decided to cut their losses and shut down the entire division. So despite Infinity's success, it wasn't enough for Disney to decide to keep the entire department open. That had no reflection on Infinity, itself, but rather the rest of the Interactive department. It really wasn't worth keeping the entire department for just one game, especially when they knew that shutting the department down meant they could just make money selling off the licensing for their characters for other companies to use without much financial investment from themselves.

Now, the hope is that stores will still support the game. They seem to be doing well with Lego Dimensions, but stores stopped stocking Skylanders well after the Trap Team debacle after the port strike. I'm really not sure what happened after that. Plus Superchargers didn't do that well, so it just hurt it even more. Imaginators brought new life to the franchise, but will it be enough for stores to keep interest in stocking new content if they don't have a new starter pack to push in the fall? I'm hoping so. If it worked for Lego Dimensions, I really think it could work for Skylanders as well. But Lego Dimensions does have the advantage of using known properties that draw new people in (and each year having new properties that might bring new people in). Plus each figure adds content to the game (Adventure Worlds, Battle Arenas, or maybe even new abilities). Will releasing a new Skylander that does nothing new in the game be enough? Can they keep selling $25-$30 adventure packs just for one level (Lego Dimensions level packs seem so sell better at the $15 range an story packs are even being sold at $30, now..even the Lego Batman one that was released, today). I hope they come up with something good. For my son (and probably a lot of people), it's making new Skylanders that's the most fun. So if they can find a way to unlock new Imaginator content, it might work. They have the blind bag chests, but we haven't even bothered with those (and I wonder if the casual consumer even knows that they are for). But maybe if they release a new Skylander that unlocks a new world/level in the game, new Imaginator content, and possibly even new abilities, it might be enough to keep people interested in buying more.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:21:50 10/02/2017 by obidawsn
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#15 Posted: 06:02:08 11/02/2017
I think this is a good compromise. The gimmick we have on is as unique as it's going to get. Lego Dimensions formula taken here is better in the long run.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
riverhippo Yellow Sparx Gems: 1049
#16 Posted: 22:01:33 11/02/2017
I don't know about you guys but I'm going to tell Activision that I want Spyro back. How am I going to do this? In the best way that I know they hear me. I'm going to give them money. I know if the N. Sane Trilogy release is successful it will completely validate Activision's reasons for moving forward for more Crash games, but also, using Spyro in perhaps his own nostalgia re-release and new games as well.

There is a lot of assuming that can be done as a result of no 2017 game. But the best assumption one can make is that Activision wants our money. And btw, if anyone doubts Skylanders is truly done, I have friends in the 'business' in San Francisco who have friends that worked for TFB and it appears most of them have been laid off. Kind of sucks for them. There might be Skylanders franchise continuations in the future, but they wont likely be what we're used to.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#17 Posted: 22:16:56 11/02/2017
Acti seems to have very little idea that Crash and Spyro are buddy franchises, since VV is the one that had the idea in the first place.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#18 Posted: 21:13:10 12/02/2017
Quote: Carmelita Fox
spyro pls com bak

Since they said new characters, i'm going to say that's a no.

It's nice they decided to expand rather than rushing straight into a new game though.
---
^ You all know it's true
Sethborsch Green Sparx Gems: 331
#19 Posted: 23:39:19 12/02/2017
I feel like they should come out with a new game without new characters. Just a disc. It could be a Trainer, ie an online battle mode game. That or an open world campaign that would breathe new life into the old characters. Have a special quest for everyone. Oh well I can dream
---
231 Skylanders; 22 Vehicles; 33 Traps; 34 Magic Items; $0 Monies
#20 Posted: 00:32:22 13/02/2017
Pretty much. Ideally, Spyro could be changed to Guest Star and still get his own games, it wouldn't really affect Skylanders even if he kept getting figures. It's really Acti's fault rather than TFB's.
---
#21 Posted: 00:55:48 13/02/2017
And Spyro is making his 20th anniversary this year. Not trusting on the possibility, but this might be a good year to at least announce something or even a bigger homage in Skylanders. I mean, the Crash remakes were announced at his 20th anniversary (2016), but it's only going to be released this year. Nothing says the same can't happen to Spyro.

But, as Bifrost said, Activision took time to discover Crash and Spyro are buddy franchises.
---
Bruh
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#22 Posted: 01:50:45 13/02/2017
Isn't Spyro's 20th Anniversary next year? In 2018?
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#23 Posted: 02:34:21 13/02/2017
Coming back from a Disney vacation...
They never forgot it all started with a mouse.
Skylanders started dying when they forgot it all started with Spyro. He didn't get a figure in Superchargers. That's when we started hating the game and sales started to tank.
Maybe they will bring back their mouse.
---
Any last wishes?
#24 Posted: 04:19:53 13/02/2017
Quote: Wishblade
Skylanders started dying when they forgot it all started with Spyro. He didn't get a figure in Superchargers. That's when we started hating the game and sales started to tank.

And Gill Grunt didn't get a repose in Imaginators, and now the series might end.

Boy, it sure makes sense that you can just decide wether or not they repose a figure decides the future of the games, and not the quality of the games themselves. Spyro is not that important that millions of people will go "**** this! SPYRO IS DEAD!!!!! I'M NEVER BUYING THIS GAME AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!" Most of the people who would do that already didn't play the games because "IT KILLED SPYRO!!!!!!!! ACIVISION IS THE MOST EVIL THING EVER!!!!!!!!!! SKYLANDER FANS ARE THE WORST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Wether or not Spyro has a figure has literally no effect on the quality of the game.
---
Dead
riverhippo Yellow Sparx Gems: 1049
#25 Posted: 09:33:13 13/02/2017
Quote: Wishblade

You could make the argument some Spyro games before he was modeled as a video game toy were worse than any of the Skylanders games he was in, and could ultimately have caused the demise of future Spyro games we wanted. Spyro as a character is great. (I personally love his characterization in Skylanders Academy) But only if the content is good does it shine well for fans and the company trying to make maximum profit.
TechSkylander15 Green Sparx Gems: 276
#26 Posted: 15:57:50 14/02/2017
Spyro didn't get a figure in Trap Team, either. If a lack of a new Spyro figure can be forgotten like that, it's pretty obvious that's not that important. (And not every Disney movie features Mickey Mouse, either-games are just games and films are just films, you don't need to appease your mascot god in every one of them)
#27 Posted: 16:08:17 14/02/2017
Quote: TechSkylander15
Spyro didn't get a figure in Trap Team, either. If a lack of a new Spyro figure can be forgotten like that, it's pretty obvious that's not that important. (And not every Disney movie features Mickey Mouse, either-games are just games and films are just films, you don't need to appease your mascot god in every one of them)

Spry.

Either way, not rereleasing figures never points to anything, and releasing MORE figures that have enough reposes hurt sales in the long run. As long as they're compatible, they're represented, be it Spyro or any other Skylander.
Some villains can't say the same.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:10:05 14/02/2017 by Bifrost
TechSkylander15 Green Sparx Gems: 276
#28 Posted: 16:20:27 14/02/2017
Quote: Bifrost

Spry.

Either way, not rereleasing figures never points to anything, and releasing MORE figures that have enough reposes hurt sales in the long run. As long as they're compatible, they're represented, be it Spyro or any other Skylander.

Whoops, my bad, I was just thinking of direct variants and forgot about minis entirely.

Also, reading back over my post-I think I got snarkier than needed, my apologies for that, Wishblade. I do understand wanting Spyro to get featured more-Skylanders was supposed to be his reboot, after all-but reposes don't really make him stand out when other Skylanders receive similar treatment, in addition to Bifrost's points.
#29 Posted: 16:32:51 14/02/2017
Quote: Bifrost

Spry.

Also Eon's Elite Spyro.
---
Dead
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4524
#30 Posted: 17:08:31 14/02/2017
Not getting a figure doesn't mean a character died smilie hell, Spyro is in Imaginators as an NPC and in Academy as the main star...
---
what even is this site anymore lmao
#31 Posted: 06:47:41 15/02/2017
With the focus on Imaginators I would rather see all the other characters, even the Senseis, as NPCs, but maybe that's just because I enjoy playing as my own creation.
superhalite Blue Sparx Gems: 970
#32 Posted: 01:46:37 15/03/2017
I doubt it but what if later on they added online?
---
We rely too much on technology yes that is true,but it's not going anywhere.
spyrothe111 Ripto Gems: 3702
#33 Posted: 02:15:34 25/03/2017
While I still love Skylanders, I'm glad to give my wallet a break. smilie
#34 Posted: 01:32:56 12/08/2017
Don't do three consecutive posts. Edit the first one or multi-quote.
---
Bruh
Alexmon Red Sparx Gems: 34
#35 Posted: 00:09:48 21/08/2017
SPYRO COME BACK TO ME!!!!
its nearly his 20th anniversary so maybe he could come back for the 7th game
---
Sonicforces
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me