Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Tribal Lords
Samius Hunter Gems: 9242
#1 Posted: 21:29:01 29/01/2017 | Topic Creator
Alright, so once again I got an itch to create a new forum game. Having gone through many failed attempts to create a really detailed, interesting one before, I've learned not to make things too complicated. Hence, I introduce you to Tribal Lords!

What is this thing?

Tribal Lords is a forum game about running a tribe (or trying to, and failing spectacularly). If you've ever been to 4chan and seen those village threads where one guy draws a map with MS paint and the others choose what the villagers do next, then you already know what I'm talking about. I'm basically ripping off the idea, but also tweaking it a little bit to make it more suitable for slower forums like darkSpyro.

How does it work?

Simply put, I will post a map (MS paint quality) detailing the environment around the village, AND five Google Drive docs with some information about the current situation. The docs aren't novels, just a list of your population, the items that your people have and so forth.
You will then get to choose what the villagers do next. A turn (an unspecified amount of in-game time) changes, and I post what happens, along with an updated map, new information and some flavor text.
Then you get to make new decisions. And I mean all of you. Anyone can join up and play. All the details you need are in the docs, and those that aren't in there you either don't need to worry about or should be obvious. As times go on you'll gain access to new technologies and buildings.

That's it.

Whether your tribe crashes and burns or starts to thrive is up to you. If all your population dies then it's game over, and instead of a new turn report I will post a final "defeat report" detailing everything that happened with the tribe in question along with some flavor text, and restart the game from the beginning with a different map.

At the start of any game you know little to nothing about the world in which your tribe is based. Is there magic in the world? Do gods exist? What about mythical creatures? You'll find out as you play. The limit is my imagination, so anything could happen. The map also doesn't have a size limit, so get exploring!

Oh and yeah. I'm trying not to limit this thing to just gathering resources and building stuff. Take care of the basic needs of your tribesmen/women, but other than that, go crazy. Do you want to turn the tribe into a communist utopia? Go for it. Do you want to start worshiping a god and destroying everyone who opposes your beliefs? Sure. As long as it goes with the rules of the game, I'll try to make it work.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. You can do so on this topic, or by sending me a PM or a GB post.
#2 Posted: 21:29:15 29/01/2017 | Topic Creator
This post is reserved for information on the CURRENT state of the tribe/village. If you're new to the game or have kept a break, you do not need to go through all the turn reports one by one. You can find everything here. These docs will be updated as the game progresses.

---
Current tribe #: 1
Tribes dead: 0

Map
Population
Inventory
Buildings
Technology
Religion

---

Note: This is not the first turn report of the game. The game will begin in a separate post, which I will make when there's at least one player present.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:59:22 29/01/2017 by Samius
SoulFly Emerald Sparx Gems: 4660
#3 Posted: 22:31:36 01/02/2017
I'm down
Whoo
---
Ligi
#4 Posted: 07:33:33 02/02/2017 | Topic Creator
Alright! Glad to see someone found the topic. I'll start the game later today when I've finished my exam.
Shagaru Magala Blue Sparx Gems: 850
#5 Posted: 08:02:29 02/02/2017
I'm in!
---
smilie
#6 Posted: 17:57:13 02/02/2017 | Topic Creator
Turn 1.

The rising sun greets your newfound tribe for the first time! Your people settled onto temperate plains, where both trees and plantlife are plentiful, and the calming sounds of a nearby stream fill the air. It is time for you to lead your tribe into a glorious future!

Turn 1. map

Announcements:
- Game begins!

You can now begin to order the villagers around. Every new turn the announcements will tell you what happened during the last turn, but remember to check the links in the second post every now and then in order to see more detailed information. I won't keep reposting them over and over because that would just serve to slow things down.

The speed at which turns change will vary according to the number of commands/population/players.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:58:01 02/02/2017 by Samius
#7 Posted: 05:17:17 03/02/2017
The tribesmen shall use the 2 spears at their disposal to arm 2 hunters for the search of food. The hunters head south.

The plenty of bushes around the tribe seem to carry berries. Some tribesmen should get on seeing if the berries are edible
---
Ligi
#8 Posted: 10:16:13 03/02/2017 | Topic Creator
Gotcha. Two villagers will take the spears and head south to hunt, while two will take a look at the bushes around the village.

There's still 16 villagers left with nothing to do. It should be noted that they won't stay completely idle, and may decide to do things on their own, but they won't build buildings or anything like that. I'm trying to keep things in the hands of the players as much as possible.

Also, if you've been wondering, the list of buildings also details everything that you can build. I'll update the list as the villagers learn to build new things.
#9 Posted: 12:13:49 04/02/2017
The rest of villagers? They got axes, why not round up some wood? And use that excess wood to start building a wooden floor, a base for something greater.
---
Ligi
#10 Posted: 18:38:54 04/02/2017 | Topic Creator
You can only make buildings that are visible in the list of buildings in the second post. I'll add more as time goes on, so you won't be stuck with only a few options for a long amount of time.

We can also just change the turn and let the villagers do things on their own if you guys want to.
#11 Posted: 04:45:02 05/02/2017
I would have presumed that would fall under rudimentary carpentry, but alright.

But 16 idle hands is not acceptable. 2 axes and 2 men go lop up wood, keep campfire lit and making a pasture would be quite what we need.

Afterwards i'd be fine with next turn
---
Ligi
#12 Posted: 16:37:47 05/02/2017 | Topic Creator
Alright, that sounds good! I'll change the turn.

Oh, and it's not out of malice that I don't allow random buildings. It's just that this forum game does have mechanics. I'm just handling them all behind the curtains so that it doesn't scare players away. Within those parameters you can do anything you like.

I also do take suggestions. If this game ever starts running with more players in the future I predict that it will change quite a bit.
#13 Posted: 17:32:57 05/02/2017 | Topic Creator
Turn 2.

Turn 2. map

Announcements:
- One tree was cut down, yielding 5 units of wood. 8 units of wood were used to construct a pasture. 1 unit of wood was used to fuel the campfire.
- Two hunters left south, revealing an area of rocky grasslands. The area was teeming with game, and they managed to return with 10 units of meat (food) and 4 units of leather.
- Two villagers foraged 12 units of berries (food) from the bushes near the village. There are still plenty of berries to go around.
- The construction of a pasture was started and finished with the help of 14 villagers.

Stats:
- Your population did not rise. Your current population is 20.
- 22 units of food were consumed by the villagers and the livestock. 0 units of food were stored due to lack of food storage space.
- 4 units of resources from your inventory were used in total. 4 units of resources were stored. Your inventory space is full.
- Your livestock capacity has room for 5 more animals.
#14 Posted: 19:35:57 05/02/2017
Cutting more wood won't hurt, and neither does exploring. Arm the 2 tribesmen again and go up alongside the northern stream.

Any chance we could get a storage pit going? We got some wood and leather. And idle hands.
---
Ligi
ThroneOfMalefor Platinum Sparx Gems: 5391
#15 Posted: 19:41:33 05/02/2017
This is reminiscent of /qst/, a board I promised I would frequent. I'd like to hop in.
---
BREATHE AIR.
#16 Posted: 23:22:17 05/02/2017 | Topic Creator
I've been thinking about new things that I could add to the turn reports if needed. When the tribe reaches a certain size/point in time I could lists a few suggested courses of action every turn to keep the tribe running smoothly. The suggestions wouldn't be infallible, and would act as sort of a "voice of the people" on behalf of the tribe. Does that sound good or do you think it's too handholdy?

Quote: SoulFly
Cutting more wood won't hurt, and neither does exploring. Arm the 2 tribesmen again and go up alongside the northern stream.

Any chance we could get a storage pit going? We got some wood and leather. And idle hands.

Sure, villagers will do their best to complete your orders, even if they didn't have the needed things handy at the moment. If you want to build something and have no resources to do so, they will automatically set out to collect them before beginning the construction.

You can also specify where you want your buildings built, but it's not necessary to do so.

Quote: ThroneOfMalefor
This is reminiscent of /qst/, a board I promised I would frequent. I'd like to hop in.

Go right ahead. I actually got this idea from both /qst/ and the occasional village thread from /b/.
ThroneOfMalefor Platinum Sparx Gems: 5391
#17 Posted: 14:23:32 06/02/2017
One unit of clay was used to craft a quaint, hardy, medium-sized pot. It's about time the tribe folk experiment with sauté. One sheep gets flayed and a delicious oily mutton n' tang (those berries have a unique flavor!) dish is the immediate result for their efforts (Ramsay would be proud). The wool and carcass remain of the sheep just consumed. Pot may also be used for water, sick elders cannot move too much.

I'd propose the carcass could be used for ensuring the fertility of soil should more vegetation be required in the immediate vicinity?
Wool could be used to craft hide for the change in seasons.
---
BREATHE AIR.
#18 Posted: 20:20:56 06/02/2017
Quote: Samius
I've been thinking about new things that I could add to the turn reports if needed. When the tribe reaches a certain size/point in time I could lists a few suggested courses of action every turn to keep the tribe running smoothly. The suggestions wouldn't be infallible, and would act as sort of a "voice of the people" on behalf of the tribe. Does that sound good or do you think it's too handholdy?

Hm a curious suggestion. It could be useful and easily ignored, if we would rather create a cult based on pain and starvation.

Should we hop forward? Next turn?
---
Ligi
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:45:55 10/02/2017 by SoulFly
#19 Posted: 12:59:43 10/02/2017 | Topic Creator
Yeah, I was actually going to change the turn soon. I've just been pretty busy for the last couple of days so I haven't had the time or energy to do it. I'll get it done later today.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me