Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Spyro Trilogy Remaster Possibility Discussion
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3
Spyro Trilogy Remaster Possibility Discussion
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 11:03:06 05/12/2016 | Topic Creator
With Crash Bandicoot remasters getting released in 2017, and with hype from the looks of the gameplay and reveal trailer, fans now speculate and hope that Spyro may have a high chance of getting a remake too of his original games that were developed by Insomniac.

If it's confirmed, we can expect high definition visuals on the levels, characters, enemies, landscapes, etc. And there maybe even in-game changes. But I can also see many possible fan complaints when the debut trailer/screenshots are released.

• Spyro's classic design is used, but tweaked (different eye color, body shape, etc.).
  • Spyro's Skylander design is used instead for the younger generation who were introduced to Spyro in Skylanders (definite fan backlash)
  • Gameplay mechanics may change slightly
  • Slight cutscene changes
  • Different voice actor for Spyro (instead of Tom Kenny or Carlos Alazraqui)
  • A different game developer for the remasters was chosen other than Insomniac Games/Sony
  • Stewart Copeland not returning, but his music for the PS1 trilogy is still used but remixed
  • Different voice actors for Hunter, Elora, Moneybags, Ripto, Bianca, etc., other than the ones from the original games

In the end, fans may need to prepare that if there are remasters for the original Spyro trilogy, there will be some changes in those remakes that may displease them. And we'll also have the possibility of some fans just plainly saying "you ruined the games". You have the levels, characters, and boss battles in high definition, but even then, as most fans would say, the remasters are just the same games after all.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:26:25 07/12/2016 by Aura24
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#2 Posted: 13:48:50 05/12/2016
I mean, that's an inevitability with any reimagining. People complained about similar stuff for Ratchet & Clank 2016, and that was Insomniac redoing their own game. If Activision chose to go down this route, they'd probably either tap Vicarious Visions or Toys for Bob to do the job. Insomniac's busy with Spider Man PS4 and I'm sure there would be immense backlash if Actvision chose a studio with little-to-no experience to helm a reimagining.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#3 Posted: 21:13:34 05/12/2016
I just want a game that's based around Spyro again. But I didn't like all that repetitive combat from the Legend of Spyro games, that type of gameplay just bored me.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:14:25 05/12/2016 by SuperSpyroFan
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#4 Posted: 21:19:35 05/12/2016
Well, should it also happen and they take notes from N. Sane Trilogy, they'll also put good things like having the quality-of-life improvements of the latter two on the first game. I guess, it's not from my time to really remember exactly what could use some touch ups. Though I wonder if they would keep the loading screens the same for the sake of nostalgia, since nowadays no one needs that much loading.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:19:48 05/12/2016 by Bifrost
#5 Posted: 22:14:58 05/12/2016 | Topic Creator
Imagine those loading screens in HD! smilie
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#6 Posted: 01:40:00 06/12/2016
One thing they could do in a remaster is make the hub worlds (and maybe some levels as well) large enough for free flight. The first two games had that after completing them right? I've only played Year of the Dragon and I know it did not have free flight.

About the voice actors, everyone save for Bianca and The Sorcerer's actors are still active in voice over so, the two of them are probably the only ones in need of new voice actors.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:43:19 06/12/2016 by spyrocrash
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#7 Posted: 10:00:27 06/12/2016
Quote: spyrocrash
One thing they could do in a remaster is make the hub worlds (and maybe some levels as well) large enough for free flight. The first two games had that after completing them right? I've only played Year of the Dragon and I know it did not have free flight.

About the voice actors, everyone save for Bianca and The Sorcerer's actors are still active in voice over so, the two of them are probably the only ones in need of new voice actors.

No, in the first Spyro there was a bonus level dedicated to free flight, but you never got it as an ability for getting everything. And in 2, you unlocked the superflame in Dragon Shores, and then you could open a new file and play the game again with the superflame.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#8 Posted: 22:27:52 08/12/2016
Yeah, I've been talking a lot about the possible remaster since the release of the N Sane trailer. I don't see why they wouldn't want to remaster Spyro though, because him and Crash have been tied in with each other so much throughout the years ... It would be kinda rude to remaster one without the other, don't you think? The only thing that makes me worry is Spyro's tie in with Skylanders, and I'm not sure if Acti would want to let him have his own games again after the success of this series. But because of Spyro's big role in Skylanders ... wouldn't the remaster sell well because the kids know of him? Ah, I don't know. >.<
I think the only thing I would absolutely hate is if they do use his Skylanders design in a possible remaster. I mean, even with Crash they used his original design, and not his Skylanders design ... so why not?

But Aura, it's sort of funny that with all the things you could have talked about in the first post ... you spoke mostly about possible fan complaints. That sort of says something about the fandom, doesn't it?
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#9 Posted: 22:38:12 08/12/2016 | Topic Creator
It's what we can expect from fans if a Spyro remaster is ever considered. Like the Crash fans with the N. Sane trilogy, they would likely point out and complain about the HD graphics, despite wanting a remaster in the first place.

It's possible Activision will use a revised version of Skylanders Spyro's design if the Spyro remasters are developed, since the young generation of gamers were introduced to Spyro in the Skylanders universe. But then the devs would have to think about Spyro's origins that kids grew up knowing in Skylanders...
---
#10 Posted: 23:09:31 08/12/2016
I know, and that's the sad part. If Spyro does get a remaster, shouldn't fans just be happy and grateful, and not complain about every last thing that the devs supposedly got all wrong?

And I could live with them using Spyro's Skylanders design. I wouldn't be too happy about it, but I'd learn to accept it and just be happy that he got a new game at all.
---
I draw stuff.
#11 Posted: 11:07:12 09/12/2016 | Topic Creator
IF Spyro's Skylanders design was chosen for the remasters, high chances are that most Spyro fans would completely ignore everything else on the games (same game features, gameplay mechanics, etc.), JUST to rage only on the very Spyro design they despise so much.

And we also have had the first reboot in the form of The Legend of Spyro. What if Acti decides to do a remaster of that? Crash was never rebooted, but Spyro was, before Skylanders.
---
#12 Posted: 11:38:13 09/12/2016
LoS needs a full on remake, no remaster will ever fix it. Story falls apart on DOTD but is already generic before, Pullen probably doesn't want to come back after the way Krome was treated(he's also got bigger fish to fry on movies) so art direction's out, and the gameplay is unusable to new audiences now that even God of War outdated itself.

Also, David would probably want to write the plot if they called Skylanders devs, but he's VV and they have their hands full.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:38:45 09/12/2016 by Bifrost
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#13 Posted: 13:58:16 09/12/2016
Quote: Aura24
IF Spyro's Skylanders design was chosen for the remasters, high chances are that most Spyro fans would completely ignore everything else on the games (same game features, gameplay mechanics, etc.), JUST to rage only on the very Spyro design they despise so much.

We need to understand their side. I mean, it's totally unfair to judge the entirety of the remakes by Spyro's design, but his classic design is, in my opinion, much better than his Skylanders design. I mean, I wouldn't hate the games for his design, but I think his classic design works better.

Well, I think they would choose his classic design anyway. They choose Crash's classic design for the remakes, even if he had a different design for Skylanders. Why not with Spyro?
---
Bruh
#14 Posted: 14:01:47 09/12/2016
That's reasonable, Crash10, and players who got introduced now probably wouldn't mind it so much either. That isn't the vocal opinion on Skyro.
"cry because skylanders exists"(an actual tumblr post, badly paraphrasing) is what you see more in social media.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:02:36 09/12/2016 by Bifrost
#15 Posted: 17:06:59 09/12/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Crash10

We need to understand their side. I mean, it's totally unfair to judge the entirety of the remakes by Spyro's design, but his classic design is, in my opinion, much better than his Skylanders design. I mean, I wouldn't hate the games for his design, but I think his classic design works better.

Well, I think they would choose his classic design anyway. They choose Crash's classic design for the remakes, even if he had a different design for Skylanders. Why not with Spyro?

I wouldn't mind if they chose a revised version of the classic Spyro design. But I have a feeling they'll have to think it through since there is a young generation who were introduced to Skyro since 2011. While Crash was introduced via Skylanders as well before his HD remasters, but bears a very close resemblance to his classic design that wouldn't be too confusing to the young fans.

Wonder if they'll also do some changes to the Spyro NPC designs too.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:10:57 09/12/2016 by Aura24
#16 Posted: 17:10:47 09/12/2016
Considering most NPCs in the old series are low-poly or designed waaay back, it's pretty much necessary to redesign.

AHT doesn't count since the style clashes a lot with the classics and is probably way too cutesy to reintroduce.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:17:16 09/12/2016 by Bifrost
#17 Posted: 17:18:06 09/12/2016
Quote: Crash10

I wouldn't mind if they chose a revised version of the classic Spyro design. But I have a feeling they'll have to think it through since there is a young generation who were introduced to Skyro since 2011. While Crash was introduced via Skylanders as well before his HD remasters, but bears a very close resemblance to his classic design that wouldn't be too confusing to the young fans.

I feel there's going to be a balance between booth designs to please all of the fans... Or at least try to...

Quote: Bifrost
Considering most NPCs in the old series are low-poly or designed waaay back, it's pretty much necessary to redesign.

Crash characters suffered some redesign. Nothing big, but... Some of them only appeared on the PSOne games, so I feel the redesign of the Spyro characters won't be big too.
---
Bruh
Operationgamer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1289
#18 Posted: 23:40:30 09/12/2016
I was thinking. Jess Harnell is voicing Crash in the N Sane Trilogy and making him sound as close to the original voice as possible. Why not do the same in Spyro remasters?
#19 Posted: 23:45:38 09/12/2016 | Topic Creator
Jess Harnell voiced Spyro back in Spyro: A Hero's Tail, he made Spyro sound too much like Wakko from Animaniacs.
---
#20 Posted: 23:53:49 09/12/2016
Forgot to add this in, if they do a Spyro trilogy remaster, I'm getting a PS4 (or PS5 depending on what one comes out on).
#21 Posted: 23:55:02 09/12/2016
PS4 should have a good amount of years left, in my opinion.
---
Bruh
#22 Posted: 02:08:52 10/12/2016 | Topic Creator
Tom Kenny redid a dialogue of Spyro back in 2015 when KrazyKari vistied his booth at Comic Con:

---
#23 Posted: 03:19:32 10/12/2016
Yeah, but odds are for consistency's sake they'd get Matt Mercer to do it. I'd say Justin Long, but that's a... long shot. B)

Here's something to consider? Remember how Insomniac and Naughty Dog were all buddy-buddy back in the day and Crash games included secret Spyro demos (and vice versa)? What if ActiBlizz chose to announce Spyro with a throwback... a secret hidden demo of the Artisan's homeworld? That's probably way too meta, but it would be pretty cool.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:19:54 10/12/2016 by HIR
#24 Posted: 06:16:14 10/12/2016 | Topic Creator
I'm surprised you prefer Matthew Mercer's voice for Spyro, HIR, I believe it fits him perfectly. He sounds just like Josh Keaton (Spyro's VA from 2011-15) too. X3
---
#25 Posted: 06:33:01 10/12/2016 | Topic Creator
Tom Kenny made Spyro sound too old too back then, at least to me.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:37:12 10/12/2016 by Aura24
#26 Posted: 10:53:49 10/12/2016
No matter the composer, they'll probably have to focus on redoing the songs; so I don't think it'll be that big of a deal as long as it's someone good. Don't think we need grandiose and orchestra like we get in Skylanders and LoS though, classic fit something catchier and bouncier.
---
#27 Posted: 15:06:31 10/12/2016
I'm surprised you prefer Matthew Mercer's voice for Spyro, HIR, I believe it fits him perfectly. He sounds just like Josh Keaton (Spyro's VA from 2011-15) too. X3

I don't, honestly. I don't even know why they switched it... I was just noting that Mercer would be the easiest choice for ActiBlizz. Otherwise they'd probably have to audition people and pick someone... which uses budget.

Quote: Drawdler
While we're on the subject of sound, any music composers anyone would like to see? I have no idea what Copeland is up to, so I dunno if he could return. If they remade the music, there's a few tracks from YoTD I think could end up getting improved a lot, because it feels like the music in that game is just missing something but was so close to getting as catchy as 1 or atmospheric as 2. I'd love to hear a remaster of Byrd's theme too.

Michael Bross. He did a really great job redoing Oddworld's music from the ground up for New N' Tasty, so I think he could do similarly well for Spyro. Of course, regardless the music direction, they need to properly loop the songs if they do reimaginings... oh, and keep the easter egg in Spyro 1 where the music gets replaced by a hidden track after playing for, like, 5 minutes.

Quote: Bifrost
No matter the composer, they'll probably have to focus on redoing the songs; so I don't think it'll be that big of a deal as long as it's someone good. Don't think we need grandiose and orchestra like we get in Skylanders and LoS though, classic fit something catchier and bouncier.

Not necessarily. It's likely that Copeland has the rights to the music for the games. If he chooses to release them, then the music can be rearranged. Otherwise, ActiBlizz would need to pay royalties (which they may not want to do) or make a new soundtrack from scratch.

For example, while Insomniac said they didn't think the original Ratchet & Clank's music fit the direction of the remake, they did also acknowledge that David Bergeaud owned the music, and there wasn't budget to get the original music to, say, even put in as a cheat/easter egg.
---
#28 Posted: 15:17:51 10/12/2016
Oh yeah, forgot. In LoS and Skylanders Acti owns the soundtrack(except for licensed stuff in APM Music) if I recall.
---
#29 Posted: 22:34:00 10/12/2016
Quote: HIR
Here's something to consider? Remember how Insomniac and Naughty Dog were all buddy-buddy back in the day and Crash games included secret Spyro demos (and vice versa)? What if ActiBlizz chose to announce Spyro with a throwback... a secret hidden demo of the Artisan's homeworld? That's probably way too meta, but it would be pretty cool.

That does sound like a possibility. After all, Sony teased the Crash remasters with the Crash Easter egg in Uncharted 4.
#30 Posted: 05:20:25 11/12/2016
Quote: Operationgamer

That does sound like a possibility. After all, Sony teased the Crash remasters with the Crash Easter egg in Uncharted 4.

Oh man, it'd be so cool if this happens. Even just a little easter egg of Spyro hidden somewhere ... like how Crash was frozen in the ice in Celestial Caves.

Honestly, I think the two franchises are way too closely tied in with each other to remaster one without the other. It'd be rude to ignore one, I believe.
---
I draw stuff.
madison-dwrd Emerald Sparx Gems: 3201
#31 Posted: 04:32:05 14/12/2016
Here's something to consider? Remember how Insomniac and Naughty Dog were all buddy-buddy back in the day and Crash games included secret Spyro demos (and vice versa)? What if ActiBlizz chose to announce Spyro with a throwback... a secret hidden demo of the Artisan's homeworld?

Yes yes YES now I REALLY want this to happen!

And as for all the talk about the composer, Stewart Copeland said he'd be willing to work on video game soundtracks again, as long as he could compose like he did for Spyro (i.e. no big orchestra)... Seems like this would be the perfect opportunity for him smilie

I'm still skeptical of a Spyro remaster, but PlayStation seems like they're calling back to their roots recently with Crash and Parappa, so I guess it's more likely now than ever. Maybe the success of N. Sane trilogy will determine if it gets made. I will admit that I'm one of those fans who'd be upset if they used the Skylander model... But if they ever announce it there's no way I'm not buying it.
---
You gotta believe!
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#32 Posted: 11:09:21 14/12/2016
I wouldn't be surprised if they did a skylanders remaster before a Spyro one with all the merchandise still on the shelves and with cancelling the next Skylanders game.
---
Any last wishes?
#33 Posted: 11:11:34 14/12/2016 | Topic Creator
The cancellation rumor isn't confirmed.

I can still see Skylander games being made while a Spyro remaster is developed though...
---
#34 Posted: 12:18:00 14/12/2016
[Peaceful music] In a perfect world, Spyro and Skylanders would co-exist in peace and love, and the fandoms would never fight again.
---
Bruh
#35 Posted: 19:46:06 14/12/2016
Hmm, I think that may only happen if they start releasing Spyro games alongside Skylanders games. Most people are bitter that "Spyro is stuck in Skylanders" so if they start giving Spyro new games, or a remaster trilogy, maybe they'll lay off. I mean, they'd really have no reason to care about Skylanders then, right?
---
I draw stuff.
#36 Posted: 23:51:25 14/12/2016
There's the whole nod that Skyro is actually an older Classic/LoS or even some sort of reliving his ancestors' issues(Malefor, etc), but considering that was on David who's from VV, I guess there's not a chance it's happening unless it was canon.
---
Faust Blue Sparx Gems: 700
#37 Posted: 06:52:02 15/12/2016
I have a feeling that they might be planning something for Spyro's 20th anniversary, like what they did with Crash.

If that's the case then we'll probably have to wait until 2018 for any speculation, since the first Spyro game was released in 1998.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:58:36 15/12/2016 by Faust
madison-dwrd Emerald Sparx Gems: 3201
#38 Posted: 21:28:40 15/12/2016
Quote: Faust
I have a feeling that they might be planning something for Spyro's 20th anniversary, like what they did with Crash.

If that's the case then we'll probably have to wait until 2018 for any speculation, since the first Spyro game was released in 1998.

That's a good point. That also gives them plenty of time to see how well the N. Sane Trilogy sells, and maybe they'll have the same team remaster Spyro.

I'm still a little skeptical since Spyro technically has current gen games through Skylanders, and the Spyro fanbase is split thanks to the multiple resets the series has had. I'm guessing Spyro won't have the full fledged "first 3 games built from the ground up" remaster that the N. Sane Trilogy will be. It seems more likely that there will be a small announcement like bundling the first 3 games for digital download on PS4, PS3, and if we're lucky, Vita (I'm still confused as to why European accounts can download Crash and Spyro to their Vitas but US accounts can't, so I'd actually really appreciate an announcement like that).

But of course I hope I'm dead wrong and Spryo does get the same treatment Crash is getting right now. I suppose if they do, though, Spyro will control the same in all 3 games so we won't have rolling in Spyro 1 or double jump in Spyro 2, which is unfortunate.
---
You gotta believe!
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#39 Posted: 23:55:37 24/12/2016
I imagine remaking all the levels in the same scale for one package would take too long. Perhaps it would come as a psuedo-remake. Basically a reboot with compositions of previous levels like a Best Of remix soundtrack.

While we should all expect the same type of controls, camera, abilities, gems, theives, portals connected by different hub worlds, burning sheep to get butterflies, Moneybags being a money-grubbing douche that stands between you and progressing the rest of the game, etc.

While we should expect all these familiar Spyro tropes, a reboot-remake would leave open new opportunities with a variety of levels with the typical platforming and exploring but then there's skateboarding like in Spyro 3, Speedways, capturing bases in arenas, 1 vs 1000 like you see in Dynasty Warriors and more interesting boss battles but none of the Diablo-esque gameplay from Skylanders or using toys to manage treasure.

As for presentation, perhaps visuals akin in Pixar, a new story that's basically Spyro 1 but with a new villain (a JRPG villain modeled after Gackt like he's a villain from another story with pretentious melodramatic dialogue that no one takes seriously until he threatens to kill them), who taunts Spyro throughout though it hardly affects Spyro since he's not a JRPG hero and finally has Gnasty Gnorc as a minion before Gnasty takes over when not-Gackt calls him simply, no threat and ugly. In Spyro's journey, he gets help from Zoe the fairy, the sorceress Bianca, Grendor and the Rhynocs who aren't evil (The Sorceress from Spyro 3 is long-dead) as Spyro frees the dragons and reclaims the gems and dragon eggs that open like in Spyro 3.

The music would be a remix of some of Stewart Copeland's iconic soundtrack in the trilogy but there's also new original music. Perhaps the composer could be Daisuke Ishiwatari or Keiichi Okabe. Maybe some of the more emotional cutscenes done by Yoko Shimomura. As for voice actors:

Spyro - Jesse McCartney (because he sounds like a mixture of Carlos Alazraqui, Tom Kenny and Elijah Wood)
Gnasty Gnorc and Sir Auric Van Moneybags - Darin De Paul
Grendor - Liam O'Brien
Bianca - Ali Hillis
Zoe - Tara Strong
Red - Jess Harnell
Flynn the Balloonist - Patrick Warburton
JRPG villain based on Gackt - TBD
Kaos (cameo) - Richard Steven Horvitz

This is the best-case scenario if there was to be a proper Spyro game by 2018-19. It's not the same but it plays like a continuation without being part of the old continuity. I would take it.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#40 Posted: 00:05:50 25/12/2016
Quote:
capturing bases in arenas, 1 vs 1000 like you see in Dynasty Warriors

Skylanders dungeoneering is more likely than this. Collectathons DO not like large amounts of moving things because they have way too much already, just ask Banjo-Tooie and how the game crawls when it has to spawn a lot of stuff.
---
#41 Posted: 00:28:10 25/12/2016
But I mean to keep sections separate plus Skylanders dungeoneering is too slow-paced for a 3D platformer.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#42 Posted: 00:30:00 25/12/2016
Yeah, I meant that in more what's less likely to give the devs nightmares, but I think something more combat-oriented would be a boss rush, not regular enemies. That way there's no risk of killing the framerates if you just load boss rooms one after the other.
---
#43 Posted: 00:57:07 25/12/2016
Maybe have like flat areas with less detailed graphics for better framerate. Spyro would just have to charge, flame or headbutt some baddies. Sub-levels like the skateboard sub-levels in Spyro 3.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
okami12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2205
#44 Posted: 20:46:29 08/02/2017
I think the best idea to please fans design wise let them vote on which design they want classic or skylanders heck they might be people who want the Los design or make skylanders spyro or Los a skin

Music wise remixes would be cool no idea who would do them and also let there be a play original music option
ShadowThePika Red Sparx Gems: 57
#45 Posted: 14:23:28 09/02/2017
Quote: StevemacQ
I imagine remaking all the levels in the same scale for one package would take too long. Perhaps it would come as a psuedo-remake. Basically a reboot with compositions of previous levels like a Best Of remix soundtrack.

While we should all expect the same type of controls, camera, abilities, gems, theives, portals connected by different hub worlds, burning sheep to get butterflies, Moneybags being a money-grubbing douche that stands between you and progressing the rest of the game, etc.

While we should expect all these familiar Spyro tropes, a reboot-remake would leave open new opportunities with a variety of levels with the typical platforming and exploring but then there's skateboarding like in Spyro 3, Speedways, capturing bases in arenas, 1 vs 1000 like you see in Dynasty Warriors and more interesting boss battles but none of the Diablo-esque gameplay from Skylanders or using toys to manage treasure.

So basically what they did for the new Ratchet & Clank game, based on the movie. maybe Insomniac could lend a hand, since they did a pretty good job with the Ratchet & Clank Rebootmake
Page 1 of 3 | Next | Last
1 2 3

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me