Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > The Official All-Purpose Crash Bandicoot Topic
First | Previous | Page 10 of 23 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 22 23
The Official All-Purpose Crash Bandicoot Topic
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#451 Posted: 16:36:06 28/06/2017
HEY LET'S TALK ABOUT CRASH

WHAT A GOOD GAME

It's such a nice topic to stay on, Crash. Some cutscene reimaginings are so-and-so according to friends though.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:36:49 28/06/2017 by Bifrost
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#452 Posted: 16:37:27 28/06/2017
Quote: MugoUrth
Quote: StevemacQ
What if the game(s) is bad? I mean we've haven't seen early reviews or proper previews and remember how Yooka-Laylee, a proper 3D platformer, wasn't well received? The N. Sane Trilogy is a remaster of pseudo-3D games. The first one in particular has not aged well.

Is the return of the colourful 3D collect-a-thons with cute mascots just a bubble? Because I don't want these boring collect-a-thons about boring generic men in static empty sandboxes, in which you hold down a button over tiny highlighted garbage you get two sticks for crafting.

Once Hat in Time and Mario Oddessy come out and review well, colorful and likeable videogame characters and games will ultimately be a thing of the past. As for this game reviewing poorly? Trust me, regardless of quality, it is going to review poorly.

Because Mario is such a gritty, realistic and monochromatic character.

Mugo, I know you are convinced that animal characters-starring platform or adventure games are automatically going to bomb, but at least leave well enstablished mascots such as Crash out of that.

If anything, reviews are going to be great regardless of the game's actual quality because it's Crash.
Do I have to remember you all the articles regarding Imaginators which couldn't care less about Skylanders and kept rambling about his comeback?
No, don't think I have to.

Anyway, LESS THAN TWO DAYS, THE HYPE IS KILLING ME.
And people already donwloading it and posting the pics on Facebook aren't helping.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:39:53 28/06/2017 by Drek95
#453 Posted: 16:40:06 28/06/2017
Drek, no, do NOT start this, we don't need another thread derailing, I beg of you. Only winning move is not to play.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:40:29 28/06/2017 by Bifrost
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#454 Posted: 16:42:49 28/06/2017
Still holding out hope for multiplat, but I'll probably bite the bullet at some point and get a PS4 for Crash.

Also, the cutscenes are amazing.
#455 Posted: 16:48:09 28/06/2017
Quote: Bifrost
Drek, no, do NOT start this, we don't need another thread derailing, I beg of you. Only winning move is not to play.

Yeah, sorry, I tried very hard not to reply but ultimately decided to do it inside of spoiler tags (it's still Crash we are talking about, right?).
I just had to becaus- no, no, no.

Not going to reply any further, though.

Haven't played the first Crash so any cutscene from it would technically be "original" for me, but I'm a bit worried about V.V.'s tendency to make everything as over-the-top as possible.
I'm also curious to see if they added new ones.

Regarding its exclusivity, I've seen some images which definitely seem to imply it's PlayStation-only.
They don't even mention it being timed.
I'm trying to look for them but currently having no luck.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:14:27 28/06/2017 by Drek95
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#456 Posted: 19:19:41 28/06/2017
Okay, off-topic for one second

Mugourth, STFU with your HUMANS ARE DISGUSTING CREATURES Bull****

Back on topic, the game looks amazing, I've never played crash before, but If I had a PS4, i totally would
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#457 Posted: 20:42:07 28/06/2017
Oh look, Mugo's trying to use his anti-human tinfoil hat theories to derail another thread. And in other news water is wet.

I think the game won't do poorly. From what I've heard from people who've played it, it plays exactly like the Crash games as remembered and any changes made are only for improvements.

I also don't think it's a good idea to compare this to Yooka-Laylee though since those games are two completely different types of platformers. Yooka's more an open-world collectathon whereas Crash is more linear.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
#458 Posted: 21:54:33 28/06/2017
Pretty much, it's either a success or older Crash games should be reconsidered as well because they are the exact same, gameplay-wise.
All the criticism is directed towards the new aesthetics, and I don't think that should be adressed in a review since it's a remake we are talking about.

Plus... What can I say, it's Crash.
The original, not even a new title which may rise some skepticism, it can't do poorly.

That being said, is it bad that I want N. Sane Trilogy to go extremely well mainly because it could mean more chances to see Spyro returning?
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#459 Posted: 22:21:42 28/06/2017
Well, the trends change with age, and so do reviewers. Just look at Sonic - a decade and he goes from "classic is great, modern is eh" to "sonic was never good" because of a group's bias.

3D plataformers being seen as outdated was also what put Crash and Spyro in trouble in the first place. Crash is actual plataforming while Spyro is a collectathon, but people were entering the next-gen, adult artstyle obsession.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:22:29 28/06/2017 by Bifrost
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#460 Posted: 00:07:42 29/06/2017
I pre-ordered the game digitally today and it's already installed on my PS4.

But I also found out that Argos stores in my country have already broken street date on the physical version.

Sucks, but I don't have long left to wait. Less than 24 hours until I can play it.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#461 Posted: 07:01:45 29/06/2017
Quote: Drek95
Pretty much, it's either a success or older Crash games should be reconsidered as well because they are the exact same, gameplay-wise.
All the criticism is directed towards the new aesthetics, and I don't think that should be adressed in a review since it's a remake we are talking about.

The original, not even a new title which may rise some skepticism, it can't do poorly.

That being said, is it bad that I want N. Sane Trilogy to go extremely well mainly because it could mean more chances to see Spyro returning?

I disagree on a few points. It's my belief that "if it's in the game it's in the review", and if the aesthetics have changed (which in my opinion, have changed for better and worse) that should be addressed. It is part of what I would be paying for after all. However, I would hammer the point home that my gripes are subjective; sure, the water in the N. Sane Trilogy looks worse than any of the original games, but that's just my opinion and won't likely be enough to put people off. Same goes for the trees or the lighting; there's many things that make the games what they were aesthetically that have been done poorly or the dev's disagree with me on. I'm not the game's art consultant (BUT I SHOULD'VE BEEN!), and my words will only reach so many people and affect even less. But I do agree that the old games should be played too, just to see how well they've aged and how they compare with the new version! smilie

And I think it's reasonable to compare it to Yooka-Laylee because that game had the unenviable task of having to choose and market itself towards either the core Banjo-Kazooie userbase (with all the game's positives and flaws) and being a good platform game matching the standards we'd expect from a game being made in 2017. The N. Sane Trilogy is in a similar spot - do you keep the poor controls of Crash Bandicoot 1 the same for the purpose of authenticity, or do you fix them to make a third of your product fun? I personally would prefer the latter, but when I've got my Review Head on I'd have to talk about both arguments. But that's just me. To be fair to you that's just one of a couple of examples I can make.

I don't disagree that it will do well though, that much is certain and I certainly hope it does well (then again I can't say I ever want a game to 'fail'). Even if the professional journalists don't like it from an aesthetic, controls, new features or whatever viewpoint, there'll be millions of average consumers and rabid fans who will buy and play it for years to come. If it's not a financial and critical success, I'll eat my hat. Well, once I've seen Activision's sales expectations and Metacritic bonuses.

As for the spoiler:
I don't like the sound of Spyro's remaster or other such projects being dependent on Crash's success. A Spyro remaster should be done because the developers want to do it, and the publisher wants to roll around naked in a bed of dollar bills. Although any chances of boosting its success are welcome.
I just hope Activision will provide the resources to the developers in doing just that, rather than trying to cut corners to make their next project cheaper.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 07:16:06 29/06/2017 by Johnbonne
faunatic Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#462 Posted: 07:40:30 29/06/2017
rumor is does crash n sane trilogy for xbox one this christmas? most likely. maybe pc too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/artic...garian-retailer

hope so. want to play. not worth ps4 for only this game.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:41:52 29/06/2017 by faunatic
#463 Posted: 10:06:28 29/06/2017
Quote: Johnbonne
Quote: Drek95

I disagree on a few points. It's my belief that "if it's in the game it's in the review", and if the aesthetics have changed (which in my opinion, have changed for better and worse) that should be addressed. It is part of what I would be paying for after all. However, I would hammer the point home that my gripes are subjective; sure, the water in the N. Sane Trilogy looks worse than any of the original games, but that's just my opinion and won't likely be enough to put people off. Same goes for the trees or the lighting; there's many things that make the games what they were aesthetically that have been done poorly or the dev's disagree with me on. I'm not the game's art consultant (BUT I SHOULD'VE BEEN!), and my words will only reach so many people and affect even less. But I do agree that the old games should be played too, just to see how well they've aged and how they compare with the new version! smilie

And I think it's reasonable to compare it to Yooka-Laylee because that game had the unenviable task of having to choose and market itself towards either the core Banjo-Kazooie userbase (with all the game's positives and flaws) and being a good platform game matching the standards we'd expect from a game being made in 2017. The N. Sane Trilogy is in a similar spot - do you keep the poor controls of Crash Bandicoot 1 the same for the purpose of authenticity, or do you fix them to make a third of your product fun? I personally would prefer the latter, but when I've got my Review Head on I'd have to talk about both arguments. But that's just me. To be fair to you that's just one of a couple of examples I can make.

I don't disagree that it will do well though, that much is certain and I certainly hope it does well (then again I can't say I ever want a game to 'fail'). Even if the professional journalists don't like it from an aesthetic, controls, new features or whatever viewpoint, there'll be millions of average consumers and rabid fans who will buy and play it for years to come. If it's not a financial and critical success, I'll eat my hat. Well, once I've seen Activision's sales expectations and Metacritic bonuses.

As for the spoiler:
I don't like the sound of Spyro's remaster or other such projects being dependent on Crash's success. A Spyro remaster should be done because the developers want to do it, and the publisher wants to roll around naked in a bed of dollar bills. Although any chances of boosting its success are welcome.
I just hope Activision will provide the resources to the developers in doing just that, rather than trying to cut corners to make their next project cheaper.

I perfectly understand your arguments.

What I meant regarding the aesthetics was that while they are indeed an important part of the experience I usually don't see much time spent on them in reviews.
Normally it's either "the game looks stunning" (which was the basic description for all the Skylanders games starting from SWAP Force, and I'm not even sure if they were referring to the pure graphics or actually considered the style and artistic choices), "the game's art direction is questionable" or it's straight up not mentioned when it's neither fantastic nor terrible.
I also agree that comparing both versions is important (and that certain choices are rather debatable) but we are talking about a game made 20 years ago from a different company with different tastes, which has now been remade with superior technical capabilities.
As much as I might not be a fan of certain tweaks, I think a few changes are nearly inevitable.
I think the general feel of all the levels I've seen so far has been kept, and that!s enough for me.

That's also a pretty difficult task: from what I've heard V.V. tried to reproduce the feeling of playing the older games while taking advantage of the modern innovations to make gameplay fit the current years.
But if they followed that route, they definitely didn't exaggerate, as you can see from the motorbike levels playing exactly the same (even though people commented the controls felt a bit smoother, thank God I'd say).
It's a complex balance but once you've found it you are basically bound to succeed, because as I've already said, it's Crash.
A well enstablished all-time favourite mascot which some "fans" think died after the first three games, and whose return was highly anticipated.
Something which I guess could kinda be said for Yooka and Laylee, since they basically followed the footsteps of their predecessors, even if it's a slightly different situation.

I certainly hope that N. Sane Trilogy's success won't be the only determining factor when deciding whether to develop Spyro remakes or not (in fact I believe they are already being developed and might be revealed as soon as the PlayStation Experience) but I do believe it will play an important part.
Spyro is less popular than Crash, for reasons which are beyond me, but his return was undoubtedly as requested and even V.V.'s addressed that; yet it's a much greater project being a full 3D collectathon with more than 80 fully explorable worlds.
Sometimes I wonder if Activision truly wants our money so bad, because that would be a good move to have it. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#464 Posted: 12:56:09 29/06/2017
Quote: AdamGregory03
Oh look, Mugo's trying to use his anti-human tinfoil hat theories to derail another thread. And in other news water is wet.

I think the game won't do poorly. From what I've heard from people who've played it, it plays exactly like the Crash games as remembered and any changes made are only for improvements.

I also don't think it's a good idea to compare this to Yooka-Laylee though since those games are two completely different types of platformers. Yooka's more an open-world collectathon whereas Crash is more linear.

guestbook
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#465 Posted: 14:44:02 29/06/2017
Ok, guys, here are some of the first votes (don't know how many of these names are known outside of Italy, but whatever):

• Multiplayer - 9
  • TheSixthAxis - 9
  • Eurogamer Italy - 9
  • GamesVillage - 9
  • GameSoul - 9
  • Everyeye - 8,7
  • Spaziogames - 8,5
  • Destructoid - 8,5
  • IGN Italy - 8

It's off to a good start, it seems. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:46:13 29/06/2017 by Drek95
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#466 Posted: 14:47:02 29/06/2017
Those'll go down, due to the human bias. I'm beginning to side with Mugo on this one.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#467 Posted: 15:02:34 29/06/2017
It seems that the biggest problem reviewers are finding so far is the fact V.V. haven't been brave (or foolish) enough to modify the gameplay and levels to the point of fixing certain hard parts and making the game less frustrating.

You know what?
I'm perfectly fine with that for a number of reasons.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#468 Posted: 15:11:29 29/06/2017
Yeah, damned if they do, damned if they don't. VV already has a reputation on Skylabders, both for "allowing it to exist" and their gameplay changes; understandable that they wouldn't tamper with someone else's game more than necessary this time.
---
#469 Posted: 15:19:25 29/06/2017
After all the people who complained about insignificant details (don't get me wrong, some critisim is legitimate and understandable but other nitpicks are just... UGH) I don't want to even begin to imagine how the public would have reacted if they dared to tweak those games more.

ImAgInE iF tHeY DiD tHe SaMe WiTh SkYlAnDeRS.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#470 Posted: 15:24:58 29/06/2017
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
Those'll go down, due to the human bias. I'm beginning to side with Mugo on this one.

...You're joking... I don't think that it'll have anything to do with the mythical "human bias", just problems with the game itself if anything.

Yooka-Laylee got in the 70s (Which isn't even "bad") because it had legitimate problems and didn't try to modernize itself at all, which in itself is a huge problem.
That, and the Banjo-Kazooie games themselves haven't aged that well compared to similar games of that time and that makes the fact that YL barely modernized itself even worse. (I'm not saying that BK/BT are bad games whatsoever, however, mind you)

Crash seems to have at least taken more advantage of modern capabilities and technology, while still remaining true and faithful to the originals as much as possible. (That, and I feel that the original Crash gameplay has aged better than BK/BT's gameplay)

Nope! Not no way, not no how am I joking. I am 100%, full on, absolutely, for sure, guaranteed with Mugo on this one.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#471 Posted: 15:34:04 29/06/2017
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
Nope! Not no way, not no how am I joking. I am 100%, full on, absolutely, for sure, guaranteed with Mugo on this one.

Now I really can't tell. I hope not, because that would make you just as uneducated as him.

Oh I'm totally not joking around on this. I've skimmed through Mugo's posts and he's got a point.
---
#472 Posted: 15:36:39 29/06/2017
Ooooh, okay. Gotcha. *finger guns*

Yeah see? He gets I'm not playin'! Not playin' at all!

*gives buddy punchies to Sess*
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:37:05 29/06/2017 by HeyitsHotDog
#473 Posted: 15:38:11 29/06/2017
Honestly, I am sick of Mugo's "All human's are disgusting creatures" ****

I won't put any rants here though, because that would just cause Mugo to make some huge arguement about why I'm an evil piece of **** human being who wants the world to die with evidence that doesn't even make sense, which would just derail the topic too much, and I'm gonna stop before I go so far off-topic I'm the one to blame.

Back on topic, honestly, could anyone explain to me what a crash game is like, because I've never played one in my life
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#474 Posted: 15:41:08 29/06/2017
Leeeet's not derail.

Some of their changes definately went to either extreme of too much or too little, but you can't help that sometimes. Good on them for keeping things working and looking pretty, more than that.
---
#475 Posted: 15:52:20 29/06/2017
The only things I don't like hearing about so far is the long loading times and the games only being 30fps.
I feel like neither of those are excusable in remakes of 20-year-old games on a console as strong as the PS4, and especially the Pro. I'd much rather have 60fps than 4K resolution, tbch.

Hey,Xbox stole the idea of 4K graphics from Crash Bandicoot
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#476 Posted: 15:54:13 29/06/2017
xbox is weak

Not the biggest fan of Xbox, but I do like Cuphead and Super Lucky's Tale
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#477 Posted: 15:58:11 29/06/2017
xbox is weak

Ok, this is terribly off-topic, but I had an ad for meatballs on the bottom of my screen, and then i looked at your signature and I laughed
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#478 Posted: 16:00:52 29/06/2017
[User Posted Image]

whoa.....
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#479 Posted: 16:02:45 29/06/2017
The only things I don't like hearing about so far is the long loading times and the games only being 30fps.
I feel like neither of those are excusable in remakes of 20-year-old games on a console as strong as the PS4, and especially the Pro. I'd much rather have 60fps than 4K resolution, tbch.

Yes, but some companies just don't understand that... *glares disdainfully at Insomniac Games*
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#480 Posted: 16:04:32 29/06/2017
Quote: HIR

Yes, but some companies just don't understand that... *glares disdainfully at Insomniac Games*

?????
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#481 Posted: 16:09:48 29/06/2017
I'm kinda holding out hope for a Day One Patch to fix loading times, but whatever.

I wonder why they decided to not go for 60. It's practically standard in this day and age
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#482 Posted: 16:14:55 29/06/2017
Currently Metacritic aggregate is 81. Some people are a bit sore over Gamespot's 6/10 review, but as you can tell Gamespot's review is not the majority view.
---
Eh.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:15:38 29/06/2017 by Burning Gnorc
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1806
#483 Posted: 16:22:22 29/06/2017
Quote: faunatic
rumor is does crash n sane trilogy for xbox one this christmas? most likely. maybe pc too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/artic...garian-retailer

hope so. want to play. not worth ps4 for only this game.

That's some bull**** right there. That's literally the PS4 case painted green with the Xbox logo slapped onto it. Yeah no sorry it ain't coming Xbox. Once again PS4 FTW! (Before any of you get mad I'm not against the idea of it being multiplatform it's just that picture really puts the rumour into the grave)
#484 Posted: 16:24:37 29/06/2017
What if Crash officially comes to Xbox and Nintendo Switch?
---
#485 Posted: 16:25:40 29/06/2017
i hope the 60FPS meme dies
#486 Posted: 16:29:02 29/06/2017
The Gamespot review was quite hilarious. I mean, I get that it's quite archaic level/game design being ported over into the modern age, but still...
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#487 Posted: 16:38:44 29/06/2017
Quote: TheToyNerd
The Gamespot review was quite hilarious. I mean, I get that it's quite archaic level/game design being ported over into the modern age, but still...

Ah, I'm glad you also found the GameSpot review amusing as well, because it, *ahem* paralleled another certain game mentioned in this topic, so I know now GameSpot has a clear bias.
#488 Posted: 17:03:06 29/06/2017
Quote: Blackholes_Wolf
i hope the 60FPS meme dies

I know you're an amazing troll Blackholes, but I hope you're trolling here. 30fps is more than playable, but for games like this there is absolutely no excuse for them to not be in 60fps.

every post i make is 100% serious, every god damn post
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:03:46 29/06/2017 by Blackholes_Wolf
#489 Posted: 17:32:47 29/06/2017
Quote: King-Pen Krazy
Quote: HIR

?????

Basically after A Crack in Time came out in 2009 the studio said, "Sorry guys, doing 60 FPS is too strenuous for our team so all future releases will be 30 FPS locked." And then they use excessive motion blur to mask the FPS cap. It's unacceptable, in my opinion. Crash is doing the same thing, but it's not as bothersome because there's absolutely no camera control in this game.

And yes, that means SCHPIDA-MAN PS4 will be 30 FPS locked as well, but that's off topic. <.<;
---
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#490 Posted: 17:48:14 29/06/2017 | Topic Creator
What even happened to this topic.

Anyway, Metacritic link. I'm glad the game is going so well.
---
Bruh
#491 Posted: 17:53:25 29/06/2017
Ayy, IGN gave it a favorable review. Cue the apocalypse. ^.^b
---
First | Previous | Page 10 of 23 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 22 23

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me