darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
First | Previous | Page 4 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 28 29
Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#151 Posted: 23:14:11 08/12/2016
Quote: GinjaNinja
True. But working for Destiny, the Crash remakes, and a skylanders game for 2017? That'd be rough. Do we know roughly just how big VV is?

That's precisely what I was thinking, and if there is no 2017 Skylanders game then I'm banking on this being the reason why.
And no, I have no idea how big VV is. >.<;

Quote: Bifrost
Quote: Bolt

And even if Spyro does go down with Skylanders, if it is indeed cancelled, then there is a possibility that he could be picked up by someone else much later in the future. Though I wouldn't count on it.

Very unlikely considering over the years after Crash and Spyro's downtime they picked up a lot more IPs and also sits on them to this day. Acti really likes their new shiny IPs rather than putting the effort to make it rain with old favorites.

Yeah, I know, and as I said I wouldn't count on it happening. But it would be a possibility.
But isn't there a certain amount of time that if the publishers did nothing with the franchise then someone else could pick it up freely?
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#152 Posted: 23:29:12 08/12/2016
That's when you do a mobile game and absolutely **** up everything good about the original game.

Sorry, that's EA, not Activision. But it's unfortunate that this is a legitimate strategy to keep a franchise "relevant", despite ruining its reputation on purpose.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:29:55 08/12/2016 by Bifrost
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#153 Posted: 23:32:43 08/12/2016
That's when you do a mobile game and absolutely **** up everything good about the original game.

Sorry, that's EA, not Activision. But it's unfortunate that this is a legitimate strategy to keep a franchise "relevant", despite ruining its reputation on purpose.

Activision did this recently with Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero. They do that too.
---
Bruh
#154 Posted: 23:53:24 08/12/2016
Eeeh not really. They did bad games, but they still were in the spirit of the originals, though with a lot of 'hey guys we're hip and in with the times too'. Mobile Dungeon Keeper crosses lines even Acti rarely gets near, but history usually repeats itself if people never learn.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:53:57 08/12/2016 by Bifrost
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#155 Posted: 00:11:20 09/12/2016
I thought it applied to all publishers though, because I remember watching a show and hearing someone say Acti better make a new Crash game soon otherwise he'd be open for anyone to grab?? Or something along those lines.
( Heh, turns out they did do it with Crash anyway ;p )
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#156 Posted: 11:51:21 09/12/2016
VV have 179 employees listed on LinkedIN

Skylanders is done, so let's all concentrate on enjoying Imaginators smilie
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#157 Posted: 11:59:23 09/12/2016
They can still go to a hitus till they will finish with crash or let tfb make sky 7 on 2018.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#158 Posted: 12:10:47 09/12/2016
Quote: omer1698
They can still go to a hitus till they will finish with crash or let tfb make sky 7 on 2018.

Let it go... The series is over.
#159 Posted: 12:13:39 09/12/2016
Its not over till i will see an officel annocment that its over.

And with all do respact to this youtuber that made the video, you guys said yourself that he had more misses then hits. So sorry that i dont trust that guy like the rest of you.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:23:30 09/12/2016 by omer1698
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#160 Posted: 12:24:29 09/12/2016
Quote: wideawakewesley

What is linkedIN and how does this help tell us it's over?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#161 Posted: 12:34:46 09/12/2016
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

It's a website where people who had a job go to find new jobs in a similar industry. Basically, a bunch of VV staff have been let go.

And to anyone who says that TFB could work on Sky7, you clearly don't know how this game series works
#162 Posted: 12:36:19 09/12/2016
It's not as big as most teams out there iirc?

Idk. But trying to insist to everyone it's over is just going to bring a depressing mood and this forum shouldn't get down in the dumps before people even leave.
---
#163 Posted: 12:40:39 09/12/2016
Quote: TheToyNerd

It's a website where people who had a job go to find new jobs in a similar industry. Basically, a bunch of VV staff have been let go.

And to anyone who says that TFB could work on Sky7, you clearly don't know how this game series works

Thank you. I always heard of it but never knew what the actual point of it was.

Well, I'm gonna STILL hold out, knowing me. But it looks like it really is the end ;~;
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#164 Posted: 13:29:12 09/12/2016
Let go? Having the employees on linkedin isn't just how many people they have?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:29:30 09/12/2016 by Bifrost
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#165 Posted: 13:30:46 09/12/2016
Its not over till i will see an officel annocment that its over.

And with all do respact to this youtuber that made the video, you guys said yourself that he had more misses then hits. So sorry that i dont trust that guy like the rest of you.

I don't know how many times we have to say it, but this isn't just because one YouTuber (which has a pretty good rep on these sorts of things) said it was so. So many other factors are pointing to its accuracy. After the decline last year and the general apathy for TTL, Imaginators had to knock it out of the park this year - and it is clearly not doing that. Kids are fickle, they move from one property to the next, Battlecast crashed and burned, the Netflix show (which I enjoyed with my kids) really didn't hit the way they wanted, accessory and guide makers took a pass on the franchise - its a whole lot of stuff that adds up to this. Unlike normal games, games like this require significant add on sales to be successful because it requires a ton of up front investment in inventory that cannot be just turned around by the manufacturer in a month or two.
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#166 Posted: 13:32:37 09/12/2016
What if TfB makes a new chapter in 2017? Like they did with Giants. They already have a base with Imaginators.
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
#167 Posted: 13:37:14 09/12/2016
I don't remember hearing about VV employees being let go, recently. All I remember happening was Acti laying off some place in Florida.
---
#168 Posted: 13:40:37 09/12/2016
The only wat to finaly end this discussions is if we will get real ansower, till then i still belive that there is three options for the frenchise fate: buisssness as usual, haitus and death.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#169 Posted: 13:52:36 09/12/2016
I don't remember hearing about VV employees being let go, recently. All I remember happening was Acti laying off some place in Florida.

Isn't VV on New York? Haven't checked their pages ever since the superchargers art.
---
#170 Posted: 14:14:31 09/12/2016

Isn't VV on New York? Haven't checked their pages ever since the superchargers art.

Yep, they'e in Menands, New York. They also have 200+ employers according to Wikipedia.
---
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#171 Posted: 16:07:55 09/12/2016

As in the series or done or the seventh game is finished? I only ask because you said the number of employees VV has, and I know you've probably got some inside sources...
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#172 Posted: 17:07:58 09/12/2016
Just by comparison, Bungie has around 750 and they struggled to put out a yearly expansion to Destiny and had to delay Destiny 2 until next year. Very different situations, I know, but just an idea. I'm going to put my hat in with there being no new Skylanders game, at least from VV, in 2017.
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#173 Posted: 19:10:59 09/12/2016
I'll wait for the next Acti/Blizz. quarterly report. That will be the most telling confirmation. I personally think this will be the last entry. Now there could just be a two year gap but given that they pretty much gave us the ability to create our own, that tells me they ran out of ideas as well as being concerned with sales. This was an odd year with all the discounted Infinity figures for competition (I'd love to know how much of an impact it really had). I don't think they will be a factor in 2017. One thing they could do is test the waters with the Skylander Universe games but not release a new line of toys. They could treat it like a Pokemon game in that you unlock Skylanders as you play and create a team. Maybe have interaction with a portal to scan in what you have to increase your chances of finding said Skylander. That would also invite people to "Hunt" for older Skylanders and get them out of retailer discount bins. Just an idea.

Here's the link for Shareholder info.

http://investor.activision.com/results.cfm
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:15:08 09/12/2016 by Tigorus
#174 Posted: 19:21:53 09/12/2016
Quote: Tigorus
I'll wait for the next Acti/Blizz. quarterly report. That will be the most telling confirmation. I personally think this will be the last entry. Now there could just be a two year gap but given that they pretty much gave us the ability to create our own, that tells me they ran out of ideas as well as being concerned with sales. This was an odd year with all the discounted Infinity figures for competition (I'd love to know how much of an impact it really had). I don't think they will be a factor in 2017. One thing they could do is test the waters with the Skylander Universe games but not release a new line of toys. They could treat it like a Pokemon game in that you unlock Skylanders as you play and create a team. Maybe have interaction with a portal to scan in what you have to increase your chances of finding said Skylander. That would also invite people to "Hunt" for older Skylanders and get them out of retailer discount bins. Just an idea.

so what is mean? is skylanders saved smilie ? doomed smilie ?

[User Posted Image]
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:22:12 09/12/2016 by omer1698
Tigorus Emerald Sparx Gems: 3589
#175 Posted: 19:25:17 09/12/2016
Quote: Tigorus

so what is mean? is skylanders saved smilie ? doomed smilie ?

[User Posted Image]

Won't know for sure until the fourth quarter report for 2016 which I believe is released in March 2017 and summary around May. Should hear something officially in Feb./March.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#176 Posted: 00:15:43 10/12/2016

I don't want to throw in the towel, but as defpally also said...it's really there in front of our eyes. Heck I can still get ALL of the SC figures (minus Thrillipede) at retail now. There's simply too much to ignore. I don't think the FRANCHISE is done per se, but we are going to get a hiatus while they figure out their next move. To be honest, as a loyal Skylanders consumer I'm actually breathing a sigh of relief because this has NOT been a cheap game series. Perhaps baselining all of the entries on the XBO/PS4 and making sure all figures work with all games might be a good start to say thank you to the fans that Have kept it going this far.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:18:04 10/12/2016 by TakeYourLemons
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#177 Posted: 00:40:31 10/12/2016
Saw on Facebook that the activision working in destiny 2 mybe this reason that skylanders could be cancelled it's just my guess .
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#178 Posted: 01:16:09 10/12/2016
Quote: sky-dragon
Saw on Facebook that the activision working in destiny 2 mybe this reason that skylanders could be cancelled it's just my guess .

Umm, no. Neither VV nor TfB have anything to do with Bungie (the Destiny developer). They are a different development house, not unlike Blizzard - and while they sometimes share work, they do not cross. VV already has some projects in the works, but TfB is probably looking at some significant cuts if they cancel the franchise. Activision, like most corporations, do not move people around like that. They prefer to keep the dev houses working independently (and often competing with each other for budget).
#179 Posted: 01:35:26 10/12/2016
Quote: defpally

Umm, no. Neither VV nor TfB have anything to do with Bungie (the Destiny developer). They are a different development house, not unlike Blizzard - and while they sometimes share work, they do not cross. VV already has some projects in the works, but TfB is probably looking at some significant cuts if they cancel the franchise. Activision, like most corporations, do not move people around like that. They prefer to keep the dev houses working independently (and often competing with each other for budget).

True Aswell I've seen them compete
---
#180 Posted: 01:36:35 10/12/2016

But it's worth noting that VV is helping the development of Destiny 2.
---
Bruh
#181 Posted: 01:49:00 10/12/2016
Quote: Crash10

But it's worth noting that VV is helping the development of Destiny 2.

Offtopic: the post is no longer on Facebook weird

It be great for skylanders take break for year to have a 2 year production better stuff it may give me chance to get back into skylanders if they plan that but so by far. It's just getting too expensive look at super chargers. Only character that got my attention was the mariachi character..
---
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#182 Posted: 01:57:41 10/12/2016
Quote: Chompy-King257
If Skylanders ends, I will be very sad but understand why they did it at this point. I'll miss it, as Skylanders really helped me through some tough times in my life. It was like a best friend. It could always raise my spirits really easily when I was very down. However, I would have to move on eventually. I'll try my best to complete Imaginators without spending a fortune and buy a few more crystal before they vanish off of the shelves, and then, I guess I'll turn my attention to collect Godzilla collectibles and maybe buying a PS4 so I could get N.Sane Trilogy. It'll be sad, but Skylanders had to end eventually. It'll of just ended sooner than I thought.

And I will definitely stay here. I've met some great people here and I couldn't just Ollie out because Skylanders ended. I'd just become more invested in S&N and other boards.

My thoughts.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
#183 Posted: 01:58:25 10/12/2016
We should make our own Skylanders game, with Skystones and vampires.

Actually disregard the horrible attempt at adapting a Futurama reference, fandoms do set up Original Character Tournaments between games and the Skylanders lore could be perfectly adapted to one of those. Not that I'd ever set up one with my amazing inability to keep a schedule tho, managing an OCT is not for the faint of heart.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:58:50 10/12/2016 by Bifrost
#184 Posted: 02:19:28 10/12/2016
We should make our own Skylanders game, with Skystones and vampires.

Actually disregard the horrible attempt at adapting a Futurama reference, fandoms do set up Original Character Tournaments between games and the Skylanders lore could be perfectly adapted to one of those. Not that I'd ever set up one with my amazing inability to keep a schedule tho, managing an OCT is not for the faint of heart.

Actually, I always tough of a Skylanders spin-off focused on many side modes like Battle, Arena, Racing... Dunno, sounds good for me, mainly if they start trying to turn into a competitive game (but still pleasing casuals, kinda like Smash Bros.). I mean, they could make things like...

• Ability to able or disable the Elite stats in the figures (disabling will make Elites act as normal versions).
  • Able or disable SuperCharging/Sky-Chi/etc.

You know, things like that.

Just throwing out ideas.
---
Bruh
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#185 Posted: 03:24:52 10/12/2016
Given that this might be the last Skylanders ever made - or possibly the last one made for some time - I have decided not to play the Enchanted Elven Forest yet. I've purchased it but haven't put it on the portal, hoping that my will power stays strong enough that I can last until Christmas next year. By then I will be really missing this franchise so it will be nice to have one final chapter/adventure that I've never played before.

What would be the chances of them releasing future Skylanders games that don't involve physical portals or characters or would the game as merely a game not be a good enough game to drive sales?
#186 Posted: 11:02:14 10/12/2016
We know it's could sell on its own if it was portal-less/ portal as extras, but people would whine and Acti would probably half ass the marketing like with Battlecast because "they don't want to confuse parents", since as "we" know, fans are toddlers, never touched a videogame or the internet before, and can't be expected to read FAQs and ask others.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:05:03 10/12/2016 by Bifrost
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#187 Posted: 11:09:19 10/12/2016
VV working for destiny expansions is undeniably bad news for the franchise.

I know there are additional factors which points to the series decline, and as much as these conditions are necessary for the cancellation, they might not be enough neither. I prefer to wait until after christmas and the quaterly reports to be sure of anything.

The important question which arises now is if the series is getting cancelled forever or if they are going to take a break.

On one side I would say that forgetting about a franchise who has sold millions of toys and games it's something that won't be easy for Activision. they may consider returning but only if they found something that may refresh the franchise in a good and smart way.

On the other side, the investment that a business like skylanders requires is huge, so going ahead with this project is not a decision that can be taken lightly, at least, not as lightly as other games.

I guess I would be here since all imaginators waves have been released, but after that, there is no reason for me to stay. I'm not too involved with S&N and roleplaying isn't my thing. Without the excitement of new skylanders games I would lost the motivation to take part in the discussions.

I guess that's life itself, saying goodbye to things you feel very attach to and welcoming others, while being smart enough to make the difference between the things you can change and the ones you can't.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
#188 Posted: 11:29:24 10/12/2016
still the quastion is a complete cancellation or just a hitus.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#189 Posted: 11:55:28 10/12/2016
Well at least we can count on getting wave 4 if Acti is not going to officially decide until their fourth quarter reports.
---
Any last wishes?
#190 Posted: 11:59:04 10/12/2016
if it is the end then i guess i will leave, mabey i will stick around to talk on academy season 2 but then i will leave. They should Just made only one more game and then kill it all.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:10:06 10/12/2016 by omer1698
#191 Posted: 13:19:25 10/12/2016
I just glossed over this article until someone quoted that the sales numbers being almost less than half of SC.

So, uh, anyone know any new and rising IPs that have promise and happen to have some nice forums? That aren't shooters,fighting games or console exclusives? Asking for a friend.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:22:02 10/12/2016 by Bifrost
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#192 Posted: 13:26:53 10/12/2016
when skylanders is no more i guess it will be a desert here at dakspyro, and the tumbleweeds is all that is left to roam the forums. i just took a look at the activity the older skylanders games discussion sections have, and no one post in them anymore. its a sign of what to come when the skylander games get cancelled by the look of it...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#193 Posted: 13:32:46 10/12/2016
Dark can always pick up another franchise exactly how he did with Skylanders. If he still cares, that is.
And no, people left the older sections because it's been over a decade. Every worthwile conversation has been exhausted long ago, so until more news show up, there's nothing to talk about there. Even when Skylanders goes under, it'll last a few years just like them because of the stuff to say.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:36:48 10/12/2016 by Bifrost
#194 Posted: 13:37:09 10/12/2016
I just glossed over this article until someone quoted that the sales numbers being almost less than half of SC.

So, uh, anyone know any new and rising IPs that have promise and happen to have some nice forums? That aren't shooters,fighting games or console exclusives? Asking for a friend.

Graet, GRAET, just graet. Now its officially over. Whats next god? war world 3? Zombie virus? Trump becomes the ruler of the planet? Whatever you have there you can let it all out you @#%^less mother****er!!!!
And activision you greedy sons of *****es!!! That was not the fault of the fans or the sales, that was all your fault. You took this once in a life time franchise and you sucked all life from it till it dead painful and miserable death. on spyro i could forgive but on this? Never.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 13:46:54 10/12/2016 by omer1698
#195 Posted: 13:42:49 10/12/2016

Damn....that's bad.

While we don't know full sales yet, we're gonna have to brace for the fact that this might very well be the end.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:44:33 10/12/2016 by HeyitsHotDog
#196 Posted: 13:56:02 10/12/2016
[User Posted Image]

skylnaders deserve a batter fate then this...

and the worst part is that spyro will die, again. he is a good guy so why he is gatting somthing that only the villains deserve?
we could have got more former villains, but turns out that we will not even get a ****ing core!!!
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 14:08:48 10/12/2016 by omer1698
#197 Posted: 14:10:00 10/12/2016
Because this isn't the only story that gets axed off due to dumb choices. So many out there, from movies to books to other vidya; franchises die all the time or get put into the shelf for decades, Omer. As upsetting as it is, especially because we're also leaving with no impact on the industry because Skylanders is the black sheep of AAA, it's better to calm down and start looking for the good things.
---
#198 Posted: 14:17:11 10/12/2016
its just that this franchise was like a good friend to me, always there when i felt bad, but now it will begone forever. skylnaders is not like disney or lego that have so many other ways to still be alive, when it will gone, it will gone and fade away.
but if there is good in this, its make you truly appreciate the franchises you alradey know and love, from all the four elements.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:19:42 10/12/2016 by omer1698
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#199 Posted: 14:24:48 10/12/2016

Graet, GRAET, just graet. Now its officially over. Whats next god? war world 3? Zombie virus? Trump becomes the ruler of the planet? Whatever you have there you can let it all out you @#%^less mother****er!!!!
And activision you greedy sons of *****es!!! That was not the fault of the fans or the sales, that was all your fault. You took this once in a life time franchise and you sucked all life from it till it dead painful and miserable death. on spyro i could forgive but on this? Never.

i agree activision is to blame for ruin it.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
First | Previous | Page 4 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 28 29

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me