darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
First | Previous | Page 27 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
Halvmorke Emerald Sparx Gems: 4411
#1301 Posted: 16:51:26 11/02/2017
Quote: LordElohim
There is a post on reddit, with a dead link, suggesting that Activision is doing widespread layoffs, and that they are only releasing two games in 2017, Call of Duty and Destiny 2. For a company as big as Activision, if that is true, Skylanders is very probably dead, but also, they have much bigger problems than Skylanders.

Well, considering how they do the things, this situation should have arrived much sooner, so they can even celebrate how well things have been gone for them so much time.

They tell the devs team to do one thing or another based on short-term financial success, practically ignoring the rest of the factors, above all fans and gameplay. If things don't work, they fire up the devs team and just start a new thing... is insulting how they can be that good-for-nothing. Is insulting how all big companies work that way. But it's our obvious and daily reality...
---
Elite: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Senseis: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:51:53 11/02/2017 by Halvmorke
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#1302 Posted: 21:59:54 11/02/2017
There is a post on reddit, with a dead link, suggesting that Activision is doing widespread layoffs, and that they are only releasing two games in 2017, Call of Duty and Destiny 2. For a company as big as Activision, if that is true, Skylanders is very probably dead, but also, they have much bigger problems than Skylanders.

What about Crash? Was pushed to 2018?
---
Bruh
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#1303 Posted: 23:19:12 11/02/2017

thats from this link...
http://kotaku.com/layoffs-hit-...-qua-1792224059
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Jeriba Yellow Sparx Gems: 1168
#1304 Posted: 06:02:21 12/02/2017
I think it's more a Destiny 2 choice. The Skylanders games a very successful and their fans will wait a year. But how many players of Destiny will buy Destiny 2? I've played it (only main story) and for a very short time I had a lot of fun, but over that it is very disappointing.
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#1305 Posted: 06:43:53 12/02/2017
Quote: Jeriba
I think it's more a Destiny 2 choice. The Skylanders games a very successful and their fans will wait a year. But how many players of Destiny will buy Destiny 2? I've played it (only main story) and for a very short time I had a lot of fun, but over that it is very disappointing.

I enjoyed destiny through out all expansions I enjoyed it pretty well and looking toward to destiny 2 even though your starting fresh

Skylanders is successful but needs a break though
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:44:21 12/02/2017 by sky-dragon
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#1306 Posted: 06:52:22 12/02/2017
Quote: sky-dragon

I enjoyed destiny through out all expansions I enjoyed it pretty well and looking toward to destiny 2 even though your starting fresh

I'm glad Skylanders is taking at least a year off. Constantly dropping money on the toys does wear you down a bit haha.

As for Destiny 2, I'm pretty ordering it the day it's available. I have over 2400 hours in the first one alone...
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#1307 Posted: 07:01:14 12/02/2017
Quote: GinjaNinja

I'm glad Skylanders is taking at least a year off. Constantly dropping money on the toys does wear you down a bit haha.

As for Destiny 2, I'm pretty ordering it the day it's available. I have over 2400 hours in the first one alone...

Yeah dropping their prices may work too

Same
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#1308 Posted: 12:40:32 12/02/2017

they are not taking a year off, they are ending it slowly. with figures left and a switch version coming. they are not gonna say they are shutting down the game franchise in the public. so dont believe all you read activision are putting out, its all pr bs talk. with that said i think activision is giving skylanders a pretty good last hurray, with some extra content to come with the last figures. they are ending the skylanders at the top, and i am sure we will see more skylanders down the line in 5 years or so.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#1309 Posted: 15:48:23 12/02/2017
Quote: CountMoneyBone

they are not taking a year off, they are ending it slowly. with figures left and a switch version coming. they are not gonna say they are shutting down the game franchise in the public. so dont believe all you read activision are putting out, its all pr bs talk. with that said i think activision is giving skylanders a pretty good last hurray, with some extra content to come with the last figures. they are ending the skylanders at the top, and i am sure we will see more skylanders down the line in 5 years or so.

And that's fine for me too. The series needs a break, whether it's 1 year or 5 years. That's why I said "at least". And let's say they do end it permanently here, then attached least it had a good run. Though they will probably try to revive it sometime in the future, and if they choose that option, I'll be there to pick up the new game just the same.
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#1310 Posted: 19:50:56 12/02/2017
Ehm... guys, I've just remember something.
Do you remember that Easter TKC variant? If it turn to be true (and not his mystical variant), then the rumor about new characters might be true after all.
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#1311 Posted: 19:56:53 12/02/2017
Quote: Buuzer
Do you remember that Easter TKC variant? If it turn to be true (and not his mystical variant), then the rumor about new characters might be true after all.

good point, but this is just a varient which is not even close to the level of a completly new charcter.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#1312 Posted: 20:21:25 12/02/2017
Quote: omer1698

good point, but this is just a varient which is not even close to the level of a completly new charcter.

It's still a new character added via patch.
---
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#1313 Posted: 20:27:06 12/02/2017
On not so good news, Riverhippo confirmed in the news post about this year's stuff that TFB indeed has had layoffs already. Maybe not the entire team (Aura talked with Paul Reiche the other day and he mentioned Michael Graham, so both are probably still there), but with Alex Ness out who else that added to the spirit of the franchise got the boot...?
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:27:20 12/02/2017 by Bifrost
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#1314 Posted: 20:32:37 12/02/2017
So, it's likely after they finish the AP packs, TfB will close?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#1315 Posted: 20:59:22 12/02/2017
Either that or get severely downsized, since you don't need a big team for a whatever mobile game. *If* they're developing that mobile game, because VV handled all the other ones and Skylanders Creator was co-developed with Finger Food.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:00:34 12/02/2017 by Bifrost
#1316 Posted: 21:14:25 12/02/2017
Gosh...
---
#1317 Posted: 23:30:14 12/02/2017
QA is still considered expendable, though, even if they're really important to game development. Though Acti doing it is unusual, they're not the only big name company that had that happen.

However, with Destiny 2 being rushed to this year after they threatened to buy Bungie's shares, whoo boy I don't want to see at what state that game's coming out with less quality control than usual.
---
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#1318 Posted: 01:25:29 13/02/2017
Given that Activision have had a few misses recently one concern would be that in desperation they push out a rushed Skylanders game in 2018 or 2019 and it bombs. I personally don't see them planning another game in the near future. I think that we will eventually see another console game but I would prefer a big break and then a well thought out successful game than a quickly rushed grab for cash which would potentially then doom Skylanders forever.
#1319 Posted: 06:26:27 13/02/2017
So its not just tfb its activision itself that is having problems right now...
i hope this layoff is just for this new mobile game thing.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:49:11 13/02/2017 by omer1698
Darkling183 Green Sparx Gems: 340
#1320 Posted: 15:25:08 13/02/2017
I think that in the short term, we can expect the mobile game to be tied to Skylanders Academy. Netflix is obviously happy with the show and wants it to continue (to the point where it's possible that Netflix is funding the entirety of season 3 on its own), so Activision can jump onto that bandwagon for a year or two and basically get free marketing for any tie-in game they choose to release.
Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2672
#1321 Posted: 20:13:20 13/02/2017
I'd be happy with adventure packs/new characters for till 2018. It works for Lego Dimensions it may works for Skylanders.
---
Croc and Roll smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
#1322 Posted: 20:19:22 13/02/2017
Quote: Snap Shot
I'd be happy with adventure packs/new characters for till 2018. It works for Lego Dimensions it may works for Skylanders.

If they don't extend and improve gameplay features apart from releasing more packs, things aren't going to miraculously be perfect. They've a lot of good work to do if they want to really improve the product in order to gain a mayor fan support and increase sales.
---
#1323 Posted: 23:48:10 13/02/2017
Quote: Snap Shot

If sales of Imaginators is as poor as we're lead to believe I doubt they would be too motivated to keep releasing new figures and expansion packs. You have to have Imaginators to play the adventure packs, so why would Activision bother putting resources into it? It's not like back with the original 3 games where sales of the actual games were through the roof.
#1324 Posted: 00:17:50 14/02/2017
Quote: kaosmumishot
If sales of Imaginators is as poor as we're lead to believe I doubt they would be too motivated to keep releasing new figures and expansion packs. You have to have Imaginators to play the adventure packs, so why would Activision bother putting resources into it?

I agree. It seems clear to me that Activision thought, "okay, we're not going to make a new Skylanders console game for 2017, so what content do we have for Imaginators that we haven't released yet, and how can we make maximum moolah from it before we get the heck out of Dodge?".

Thus, they got Toys for Bob to put together a couple of new levels, packaged a couple of senseis with unsold crystals and Imaginite chests, and bingo - they get to sell Wild Storm and Ro-Bow for double the price without putting much time or money into it. Designing and manufacturing entirely new toys would be a much more involved and expensive process, and not one that I think Activision would be interested in right now.
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#1325 Posted: 14:01:29 14/02/2017
There is evidence that they ARE trying to add new characters. There's a listing on a foreign retail site for an Easter variant Tae Kwon Crow that does not currently exist in the game code.

(Though I do admit: It could end up being a mistake on the retailer's end, or it could just be a "regular figure in egg packaging" a la Swap Force's initial release of Punk Shock.)

Edit: fixed a typo
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:05:46 14/02/2017 by McMurderpaws
#1326 Posted: 14:18:46 14/02/2017
To be fair, I don't really think a palette swap of an existing character counts as 'new'. How hard can it be to take the existing Tae Kwon Crow in-game model and change the colours, then repaint a bunch of already-manufactured Tae Kwon Crow figures to match?

If Activision announces completely new senseis that we've never heard of before, then I'll be convinced that they're interested in keeping Skylanders alive. Until then, I'm going to assume that Activision is just trying to cash in as much as possible on already-existing assets.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#1327 Posted: 14:52:39 14/02/2017
I don't remember if there is any official written document detailing all the upcoming content, but I'd bet they used the word "figures" instead of "characters", if there is.

Variants can be considered new figures, even chase ones, so it would not be a lie.
A massive disappointment maybe, but not a lie.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#1328 Posted: 15:00:09 14/02/2017
i hope its not varients. i hate it when a hype is wasted on somthing minor as varients so this batter be a completely new characters.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#1329 Posted: 15:15:53 14/02/2017
I think you're overlooking the fact that the comparative ease of adding a variant versus a unique new character is precisely what makes this a good test of their ability to patch in new characters in the future... if that is indeed the route they plan to go down this year.

After all, if it fails, they can always have him show up as "Special Tae Kwon Crow" like the chase figures or the pumpkin-headed Eye Brawl.
MA-Josh Blue Sparx Gems: 587
#1330 Posted: 22:15:20 14/02/2017
Quote: Drek95
I don't remember if there is any official written document detailing all the upcoming content, but I'd bet they used the word "figures" instead of "characters", if there is.

Variants can be considered new figures, even chase ones, so it would not be a lie.

Activision Blizzard's COO said "characters" - http://skylanderscharacterlist...anders-in-2017/

I'm not yet convinced that they're characters we don't know about yet, but two new Adventure Packs appeared out of thin air so who knows smilie
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Josh from Mon Amiibo
#1331 Posted: 22:24:14 14/02/2017
Considering the new sets in the update have names matching old weapons and parts, doesn't seem like it's thin air, but cut content they were allowed to finish.
---
#1332 Posted: 05:25:59 15/02/2017
For those who want to believe in a bright future for TTL: http://seekingalpha.com/articl...tly-exaggerated
#1333 Posted: 05:45:04 15/02/2017
Quote: MA-Josh

Activision Blizzard's COO said "characters" - http://skylanderscharacterlist...anders-in-2017/

I'm not yet convinced that they're characters we don't know about yet, but two new Adventure Packs appeared out of thin air so who knows smilie

well thats looks convincing but i prefer to wait to see for my self.

Quote: kaosmumishot
For those who want to believe in a bright future for TTL: http://seekingalpha.com/articl...tly-exaggerated

thats good news i guess?...
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#1334 Posted: 09:53:41 15/02/2017
Well, Imaginators sold more than Superchargers.
---
Flame58 Blue Sparx Gems: 528
#1335 Posted: 10:27:30 15/02/2017
Pretty annoying how you have to register on the website to read the full article...
---
"Let the flames begin!"
#1336 Posted: 10:31:29 15/02/2017
If you can't see the image:
[User Posted Image]
Imaginators sold a lot in 2017.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:31:45 15/02/2017 by Buuzer
#1337 Posted: 10:37:10 15/02/2017
Thats graet! Mabey Imagnitors did batter then we thought so.
Wait a minute, does how legit this chart is exactly?.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:41:14 15/02/2017 by omer1698
#1338 Posted: 10:44:46 15/02/2017
It's funny if you think about it, and I do think about it (cit. Brain)
Imaginators sold in 2017 (yeah with a minority of characters from the older games, I know) better than Superchargers (2015 until half 2016).
---
#1339 Posted: 10:47:14 15/02/2017
I still dont understand those this chart is telling the truth or not?.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#1340 Posted: 10:51:27 15/02/2017
Imaginators sold in 2017 (yeah with a minority of characters from the older games, I know) better than Superchargers (2015 until half 2016).

When half of your roster is made up of glorified reposes and figures limited to specific parts of the gameplay which barely offer something new after you have bought one of each type, you kinda have to expect those results.
I never really felt like I needed to buy all the vehicles (in fact, I'm still missing Gold Rusher and the Land Trophy) unlike the new SuperChargers and the Senseis.

I'm glad we have some positive data after all. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:55:39 15/02/2017 by Drek95
#1341 Posted: 11:04:45 15/02/2017

When half of your roster is made up of glorified reposes and figures limited to specific parts of the gameplay, you kinda have to expect those results.
I never really felt like I needed to buy all the vehicles (in fact, I'm still missing Gold Rusher and the Land Trophy) unlike the new SuperChargers and the Senseis.

You got a point there.
Well, I'm a guy who usually buy everything about skylanders but, yeah, Superchargers characters are nothing special.
Instead, this year they gave us good looking figures, interesting characters, playable villains, playable Kaos, Crash & Cortex and create-your-character + new levels added via patch.
I really hope that they'll release new characters and levels at this point. The Skylander franchise, FOR ME, it's in his prime.
Sales are good again (better than before it seems), Skylanders Academy season 2 & 3, new levels added via patch (it's the first time in all the franchise) and a new mobile game (they're still interested in the franchise).

Also, no skylanders 7 because:

• TfB can't create a new game in half year.
  • VV doesn't work anymore with Skylanders (well because it's their "fault" that they screwed up Skylanders sales).
  • 1-year break is a good thing for everyone (wallet, I'm talking about you...) and it helps a lot the customer and them to sell all the old characters (sales or not).
  • 2018 = Spyro's 20th Anniversary = a possible Classic Spyro & Ripto in Skylanders 7 = a possible Classic Spyro remastered = The hate for Skylanders will disappear (I doubt...)
---
#1342 Posted: 11:11:35 15/02/2017
Still waiting for confirmation on that chart being legit. The series would be doing swimmingly if it really sold anywhere near TT. Merch and side content is still cancelled.
---
#1343 Posted: 11:16:59 15/02/2017

When half of your roster is made up of glorified reposes and figures limited to specific parts of the gameplay, you kinda have to expect those results.

You got a point there.
Well, I'm a guy who usually buy everything about skylanders but, yeah, Superchargers characters are nothing special.
Instead, this year they gave us good looking figures, interesting characters, playable villains, playable Kaos, Crash & Cortex and create-your-character + new levels added via patch.
I really hope that they'll release new characters and levels at this point. The Skylander franchise, FOR ME, it's in his prime.
Sales are good again (better than before it seems), Skylanders Academy season 2 & 3, new levels added via patch (it's the first time in all the franchise) and a new mobile game (they're still interested in the franchise).

• VV doesn't work anymore with Skylanders (well because it's their "fault" that they screwed up Skylanders sales).
  • 1-year break is a good thing for everyone (wallet, I'm talking about you...) and it helps a lot the customer and them to sell all the old characters (sales or not).
  • 2018 = Spyro's 20th Anniversary = a possible Classic Spyro & Ripto in Skylanders 7 = a possible Classic Spyro remastered = The hate for Skylanders will disappear (I doubt...)

That's exactly the point I'm trying to convey.

It's also true that it all comes dow to the point of view you choose.
For example, you can view a mobile game as a way to keep us busy (along with the still unreleased Imaginators' content) until the 2018 game is announced (oh and, by the way, I don't think the 2017 game was cancelled, I think it was never meant to happen in the first place) or you can think this is one last way to make money out of the franchise, or maybe Academy itself, before shutting everything down.

Facts, however, depict a not-so-terrible situation: the current game being updated in multiple forms, a new mobile game which could be treated better than its predecessors, a new Academy season (which is still related to the franchise even if Activision wasn't interested in making it) and a graphic showing the Toys to Life Market is not dying at all, just growing slower.

We do have bad news as well, like TfB's situation though it's rather obscure and unclear just like the rest of the non official news we received, but I think the good ones are pretty significant.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:18:10 15/02/2017 by Drek95
#1344 Posted: 11:52:59 15/02/2017

You got a point there.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to convey.

It's also true that it all comes dow to the point of view you choose.
For example, you can view a mobile game as a way to keep us busy (along with the still unreleased Imaginators' content) until the 2018 game is announced (oh and, by the way, I don't think the 2017 game was cancelled, I think it was never meant to happen in the first place) or you can think this is one last way to make money out of the franchise, or maybe Academy itself, before shutting everything down.

Facts, however, depict a not-so-terrible situation: the current game being updated in multiple forms, a new mobile game which could be treated better than its predecessors, a new Academy season (which is still related to the franchise even if Activision wasn't interested in making it) and a graphic showing the Toys to Life Market is not dying at all, just growing slower.

We do have bad news as well, like TfB's situation though it's rather obscure and unclear just like the rest of the non official news we received, but I think the good ones are pretty significant.

To be honest, I think it's possible VV will come back to the series soon, maybe for Skylanders 8.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#1345 Posted: 12:10:39 15/02/2017
Yeah, V.V. being entirely removed from the series doesn't convince me either.
They might even be still in charge of the seventh game, and actually release it in 2019 instead or directly work on the eighth chapter as you said.

Just because they are pretty busy now doesn't mean they will in the future, maybe part of them is already starting gathering ideas for a Skylanders game.

We shouldn't also exclude the fact more developers could join the franchise, maybe some who have already been involved.
Not Beenox please.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#1346 Posted: 12:39:25 15/02/2017
So so far the franchise is not in a catastrophic place as we all thogut it will be. This might actully show signs for the franchise recovery.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:40:02 15/02/2017 by omer1698
#1347 Posted: 12:46:38 15/02/2017
Now are these actual facts? I don't want every one to get to excited just yet, I want us to know for sure. Best to count your teeth before you bite down on somethin'.
---
#1348 Posted: 12:53:35 15/02/2017
[User Posted Image]
Another photo.
---
#1349 Posted: 13:05:13 15/02/2017
How the hell infinity seals more then skylanders? Its dead!
And as for the chart i am not so sure it its good or bad...
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
First | Previous | Page 27 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me